Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

How does an ATV lift lift? I've used the base of the engine loads of times to lift my bike.

Pretty much base of the engine. This thing specifically. Works a treat on a cradle frame like the KLR but I wasn't sure about my new Strom, especially supporting the weight of the bike on the exhaust.

How did you lift yours, Zen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
What models of GSXR have footpegs that are interchangeable with curvy SVs? My right brake peg's sheered off and I can't find any SV ones for sale but I know some GSXR models are a straight swap.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Phy posted:

Pretty much base of the engine. This thing specifically. Works a treat on a cradle frame like the KLR but I wasn't sure about my new Strom, especially supporting the weight of the bike on the exhaust.

How did you lift yours, Zen?

I used a normal floor jack on the small circular part of the engine casing. That plus a rearstand or on the sidestand gets the front off the ground nicely.

I'm not sure which pegs would fit a gen one. Most motorcycle pegs are a very similar design, just about anything will work.

Groveling Toast
Jun 2, 2008

What do SV650s prices look like in the winter? I'm talking north Georgia, mind you, so no gently caress all blizzards that crush houses but it does get cold enough to make riding suck.

Right now $3000-$3500 is a good deal on a second gen, is that a pretty steady price? I want a bike now but being able to save a few hundred bucks that I can put toward better gear is tempting.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

headshot24 posted:

What do SV650s prices look like in the winter? I'm talking north Georgia, mind you, so no gently caress all blizzards that crush houses but it does get cold enough to make riding suck.

Right now $3000-$3500 is a good deal on a second gen, is that a pretty steady price? I want a bike now but being able to save a few hundred bucks that I can put toward better gear is tempting.

Fairly steady. I'd try and find a nice, sorted gen one though. For the price, the additional gain of FI isn't really that good, and the gen 2 doesn't have much else going for it.

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
I paid $2800 in Atlanta for a nearly-perfect 2001 with 8,000 miles. Brand new tires, brand new chain and sprockets, frame sliders, and I even liked the color. This was right at the end of last winter.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
My 2007 naked ABS model was $4,200: 12,000 miles, Jardine exhaust, and HID lighting

This was out in Indianapolis

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Let's see, the SVs I've bought have been:

In 2007, my trackbike, 00 SV650 - 2850$
Clean title, heavily modified, race plastics, gsx-r front end, penske shock, lightweight subframe/fairing stay, M4 exhaust, mileage unknown. Probably around 15k.

In early 2007 - 02 SV650 2800$
Clean title, renegade high mount, resprung and revalved front and rear. 18k miles

2006 - 02 SV650 2900$
Full GSX-R plastics, ohlins shock, ZX6R front end, Yoshimura full exhaust, and some other stuff that I'm forgetting. 135k miles.

Groveling Toast
Jun 2, 2008

Call me crazy but the curvy look just doesn't do it for me :iiam:

I know I could save a good bit by getting one but I like the gen 2 look better.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

headshot24 posted:

Call me crazy but the curvy look just doesn't do it for me :iiam:

I know I could save a good bit by getting one but I like the gen 2 look better.

I'd say you have good taste :)

Gen 1 nakeds are hot though.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I like the pointy look better, silver engine look better, and would definitely pay more to have FI.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gen 1s make power easier. :colbert:

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
What's this doing on the second page.

Crossposting from one of the SV forums in case someone here has some ideas:

I crashed my 01 SVS last week (wet road, cold tyres, going too fast and braking too hard - completely my fault) and now the rear tyre squirms when braking or slowing down.

The crash cracked the exhaust, sheared the rear brake lever off and bent the right hand side bar end, as well as cracking the plastics. I've fitted a new rear brake lever, put the bar end back on with a new bolt, welded the exhaust and glued the plastics.

Every time I brake, front or rear or both, I can feel the rear tyre squirming and starting to step out. It makes the bike feel very unstable and it's actually making me scared to ride it. I've checked the pressures and they're fine, the rear brake's not sticking and now I'm out of ideas.

All I can think of now is maybe the swingarm bearings are shot but I'm not sure how to check that - I don't have any way of getting the rear off the ground.

Someone suggested rear wheel might be out of alignment but the chain looks straight and the squirming's only happening on braking - wouldn't a misaligned wheel feel weird all the time?

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

ranathari posted:

I've fitted a new rear brake lever,

Where did you get one? The only ones I've been able to find are OEM ones for $70+ from Bikebandit or whatever, or questionable overseas ones for $50 on ebay.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400063404101&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Those guys are local to me so I just went down to buy it in person.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
Yeah, $50 plus international shipping...I'll stick with my ghetto-fabulous bolt-through-the-old-snapped-off-lever. Is the quality good?

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
Quality's pretty good: the folding end is robust and looks like it'll behave properly in a crash.

Rear levers are fairly interchangable though, especially between different models of Suzukis - have a look for newer SV ones or from Bandits. Might be cheaper to buy an entire rear footpeg assembly and strip it for the lever.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
So I'm coming up on 8,000 miles, and noticed the Periodic Maintenance Manual says spark plugs should be done around now.

Is it a dirty liar? Any unmentioned troubles doing spark plugs on an SV that the manual doesn't mention?

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
Rear's easy, front can be annoying but the spark plug removal tool in the toolkit makes it easier. Unbolt the horn, unbolt the radiator bottom bolt, pop out the grommets on the sides holding the fairing to the sides of the radiator, and swing the radiator upwards to get enough clearance.

I changed my plugs at 10k and they looked fine to me, but better safe than sorry.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Z3n posted:

Gen 1s make power easier. :colbert:

Gen 2s are sexier :c00l:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Z3n posted:

SVs with GSX-r front end

Two questions about your bikes and the gsxr upgrade. Where were you able to find these bikes with upgrades for these prices?

More importantly how much does the gsxr front end and upgraded rear shock help the bikes handling? If people serious about track days do the swap why don't they start with a gsxr? I'm looking at an SV650 first or second gen as a first bike in the next couple months. I am signing up for an MSF course and once I have a month or so of street time I plan on signing up for a track day. I've done a lot of car track days so I have a general idea of how things are run.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Two questions about your bikes and the gsxr upgrade. Where were you able to find these bikes with upgrades for these prices?

More importantly how much does the gsxr front end and upgraded rear shock help the bikes handling? If people serious about track days do the swap why don't they start with a gsxr? I'm looking at an SV650 first or second gen as a first bike in the next couple months. I am signing up for an MSF course and once I have a month or so of street time I plan on signing up for a track day. I've done a lot of car track days so I have a general idea of how things are run.

Just looked around. I have a friend who recently bought a pristine 02 with a full 05 1k front end, galfer rotors, penske shock, Yoshi pipe, rearsets, plus a bunch of other crap for 3200$. It was in astoundingly good shape, the guy just threw money at it but never rode it.

If I were looking for one I'd be checking CL, local rider forums, svrider.com, and ebay.

How much do the mods help the handling? Quite a bit. The shorter forks lead to more aggressive geometry, which is good for track use, the upgraded brakes are fantastic, and the rear shock allows you to get a little more ride height out of the bike, making it a bit more responsive. You'll see gains across the board with the suspension upgrades, in terms of street manners and track manners. The stock suspension is really where they cut corners on the SV.

Why don't you just start with a GSX-R? You can't get a really nice modern GSX-R for 3k. You can get a well modded SV for that price. The V-twin engine gives you a nice spread of power, making gearing and gear choice a little less important. It's not intimidating, but it makes enough power that you won't get completely left behind. A modified Gen 1 like you'd find for 3k is lighter than the GSX-R you'd find in the same price range. Aftermarket is VERY plentiful for the SV, given how long they've been racing them. SVs are gas and forget, valves once a season if that. Plus they don't burn tires, chains, brake pads, and other consumables like 600s do. At trackday pace I could easily get 8+ trackdays out of a rear tire, and 12+ out of a front.

It's also a bike that forces you to learn to carry cornerspeed if you want to go fast. Enough power to keep up, not enough to forgive mistakes. It'll be very obvious where you're slow, and it'll make you learn to brake less and get on the gas earlier.

Here's a video of me on my SV doing a 3 lap sprint in the A group at Thill. You can see that they pull me in the straights and I can make it back up in the corners. The guy in front of me for most of it is on an 07 GSX-R600. I'm on my 00 trackbike.

http://www.vimeo.com/1167961

Z3n fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 11, 2009

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

NitroSpazzz posted:

i just fitted a set of those imtiminators http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=100825 to my sv and its like a new bike, way cheaper than a gsxr swap and more than enough of an upgrade for street riding.
need to sort the rear shock now though, time to start scouring for a 636 shock.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Z3n posted:

Lots of SV info
Thanks for the in depth info. I like the idea of a first track vehicle to have some power but not enough to cover all your mistakes, started out with a 115hp fwd on all seasons.

I need to take a drive down to the Suzuki dealership or see if there is one in the area I can sit on and see how I fit. I'm about 5'5" or so and want to make sure I would be comfortable on the bike before I start looking for and bidding on any.

echomadman posted:

imtiminators
I will keep these in mind if I find a good deal on a non modded SV.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

echomadman posted:

i just fitted a set of those imtiminators http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=100825 to my sv and its like a new bike, way cheaper than a gsxr swap and more than enough of an upgrade for street riding.
need to sort the rear shock now though, time to start scouring for a 636 shock.

Sent you a PM, have a friend that I think has one kicking around his garage.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Thanks for the in depth info. I like the idea of a first track vehicle to have some power but not enough to cover all your mistakes, started out with a 115hp fwd on all seasons.

I need to take a drive down to the Suzuki dealership or see if there is one in the area I can sit on and see how I fit. I'm about 5'5" or so and want to make sure I would be comfortable on the bike before I start looking for and bidding on any.

I will keep these in mind if I find a good deal on a non modded SV.

The GSX-R front end will change bike ergos. There's not as much lift on the clipons for a gsxr and it's going to drop the front of the bike a little. But it'll still feel pretty close, just a little more aggressive. I recommend a N model for street use and an S model if you're going to be doing a lot of tracking.

Ask away if you've got any other questions.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Z3n posted:

Sent you a PM, have a friend that I think has one kicking around his garage.

cool thanks.

did a few more miles on the new suspension setup today, the difference is amazing i have to say.

I can fling the bike down lovely country lanes that used to rattle the poo poo out of me at high speed before. going over railway lines at 60mph without any major reaction whereas before the shocks consistently bottomed out on that stretch of road at anything over 50mph.
The lack of front end dive under braking took a bit of getting used to, i deliberately went over the bumpiest parts of the road especially coming up to junctions, even hard on the brakes the suspension was still able to react to bumps and dips without going rigid and rattling my teeth.
All in all, Intiminators are cool poo poo.

Atomic Hotdog
Aug 23, 2007
I've never seen such confident, powerful strokes of the ass!
I have a question about the airbox on a 1st gen. My dad and I were tinkering around under the thank because the bike wouldn't start, and he randomly tried to start the bike with his hand covering the hole on top, and it ran. Hand off, tank down, it didn't run.
I'm thinking the gasket around the carb is not fully covering it maybe? Is there anything else this could mean?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Atomic Hotdog posted:

I have a question about the airbox on a 1st gen. My dad and I were tinkering around under the thank because the bike wouldn't start, and he randomly tried to start the bike with his hand covering the hole on top, and it ran. Hand off, tank down, it didn't run.
I'm thinking the gasket around the carb is not fully covering it maybe? Is there anything else this could mean?

Was the bike cold and are you using the choke? Restricting air flow will effectively make it run richer. It could also be a sign of an air leak around the intake boots.

Atomic Hotdog
Aug 23, 2007
I've never seen such confident, powerful strokes of the ass!
Cold and choked. Also tried with no choke. Is there anything common that goes out on the air systems on Gen 1's that I should start with? I'm gonna double check and make sure it's sitting on the carbs correctly first.

Enilev
Jun 11, 2001

Domesticated
I finally got around to putting in Intiminators last weekend. And they feel great. The horrible front end dive when braking is a lot better. And the bike just 'feels' better. It's hard to really describe. But there's a lot less slop in the bike's movement when I'm setting up for turns and such. And so I've found myself having a lot more confidence on turns and so being able to take them faster.

Now I'm looking to do something about the rear suspension, next. But that seems like it's going to take some research. It seems like everyone has their own recommendation. Does anyone know of a good guide to that kind of stuff?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Anyone know where I can get a cover for the toolbox slot on a 2nd gen cheaply? I came home from riding today and noticed that it's gone. The toolkit wedges in pretty tightly, but I'm not sure I'd really want to go too far with it like that.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Anyone know where I can get a cover for the toolbox slot on a 2nd gen cheaply? I came home from riding today and noticed that it's gone. The toolkit wedges in pretty tightly, but I'm not sure I'd really want to go too far with it like that.

Wait my 2nd gen has a toolbox cover? I thought the pouch just gets tossed in under the seat?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

Wait my 2nd gen has a toolbox cover? I thought the pouch just gets tossed in under the seat?
Well, *mine* has a toolbox cover. Or had, anyway.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

dietcokefiend posted:

Your bike has ABS, right? If so, you don't have a "toolbox"--that's where the ABS servomotor/pump thing is.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

MourningGlory posted:

Your bike has ABS, right? If so, you don't have a "toolbox"--that's where the ABS servomotor/pump thing is.

Ahhhh ok... makes sense

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Atomic Hotdog posted:

Cold and choked. Also tried with no choke. Is there anything common that goes out on the air systems on Gen 1's that I should start with? I'm gonna double check and make sure it's sitting on the carbs correctly first.

What year is it?

Enilev posted:

I finally got around to putting in Intiminators last weekend. And they feel great. The horrible front end dive when braking is a lot better. And the bike just 'feels' better. It's hard to really describe. But there's a lot less slop in the bike's movement when I'm setting up for turns and such. And so I've found myself having a lot more confidence on turns and so being able to take them faster.
Now I'm looking to do something about the rear suspension, next. But that seems like it's going to take some research. It seems like everyone has their own recommendation. Does anyone know of a good guide to that kind of stuff?

Anything but a setup specifically made for the SV will have the wrong spring rate and valving, and at best will be a compromise. If you start throwing different springs at it, getting the shock revalved, etc., it doesn't take a lot of time before you're up to the cost of an SV specific shop. Sometimes it will work well enough, sometimes it won't. The problem is you can go around chasing a decent setup for ages, when it would have been way easier to just spend the money up front and get a good aftermarket shock initially.

You see a lot of conflicting reports because you've got riders of different skill levels on a site and no good way of judging their levels of skill. So what's great for someone who runs a little slower or a little quicker, may be poo poo for someone who's in the opposite position.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
I'm looking for a new slip on for my 2003 SV650 naked.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002...d=p4506.c0.m245

Would that work without too much trouble? What's the general parts compatibility between the 1st and 2nd gens?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

King of all Machines Operate posted:

I'm looking for a new slip on for my 2003 SV650 naked.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002...d=p4506.c0.m245

Would that work without too much trouble? What's the general parts compatibility between the 1st and 2nd gens?

Gen 1 and gen 2 bikes aren't really compatable. You'll need to find a gen 2 exhaust. You could probably hack it together with the help of a muffler shop, but why not just spend a bit more and pick up something like a delkevic exhaust made for the gen 2?

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Really, I just want the slip on. Is the sound going to be that much different between a cheapo delkevic and a yosh? If the yosh pipe is the right diameter will it slip right on? I could always just sell the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Really, I just want the slip on. Is the sound going to be that much different between a cheapo delkevic and a yosh? If the yosh pipe is the right diameter will it slip right on? I could always just sell the rest.

No, not really. I have a friend who has the Delkevic stubby on his gen 2 and he really likes it. I haven't had a chance to inspect it personally and see how well it's built, but my friend knows his stuff and he was impressed with it.

I don't believe that the Yoshi pipe you linked will fit as a slipon, as that's a full system for a gen 1, so it's going to have a much larger diameter than the stock slipon. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Now, you could have a flange made, take it to a muffler shop, and have them fit it, but for that much money and work you'd be better off saving your time and energy and just finding a slipon that was intended for your bike.

• Locked thread