Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The crit immune enemies don't show up too much until the very last areas of the game in Neverwinter Nights 2. I say play a rogue only if you want to have a lot of talky options, but you shouldn't really do it for any other reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Bat Ham posted:

Not sure if it's been covered or not yet, but anything for Neverwinter Nights 2? Just rolled up a Rogue for my first character and having a rough time even in the early areas.
Roll up a character that isn't a rogue. They get the shaft pretty badly in NWN2. You're better off playing as anything else.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 30, 2009

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Just picked up FFVII and Metal Gear Solid for my PSP, is there anything I should know for these two?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Captain Novolin posted:

Just picked up FFVII and Metal Gear Solid for my PSP, is there anything I should know for these two?
Holy poo poo, I forgot that these were both available!

Metal Gear Solid
· Get good at switching back and forth rapidly between first-person and third-person. You'll need it for the first boss battle.
· You'll get tortured at some point in the story. The game has two endings, and whether you give in or not affects the ending. The canonical ending is the one where Snake doesn't give in, if that helps.
· Cigarettes are useful for detecting invisible lasers.

For Final Fantasy VII, honestly, I really like the game and I think it's great, but I wouldn't play through it again without a walkthrough. I got a lot of mileage out of the official guide, so I'd pick that up if I were you. It's one of the best guides I've ever seen in terms of giving advice without spoiling. It's the exact opposite of Final Fanatsy IX's guide in quality.

EDIT: Found this on Final Fantasy VII from much earlier in the thread.

Bloodly posted:

Only one springs to mind:

The first time you enter the Crater, make damm sure you have Confuse(By item or spell) and Enemy Skill Materia readied. One of the enemies there has White Wind(Cures HP and status effects for the whole team), but Manipulate won't have it as an option. You've got to confuse it-it'll cast it to try to clear it, but it'll hit you instead.

You won't ever go back to that version of the Crater, so do it then.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 31, 2009

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

FFVII

In my opinion, FF7 is the most fun without a guide of any sort. Maybe take a look when you get like 25-30 hours in.

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006
Planescape: Torment
Haven't seen this bit of advice mentioned yet, but drat I wish I knew it when I played...

-At the beginning of the game, you can learn a VERY powerful ability when speaking to that Ghost chick in the mortuary, depending on your dialog choices. Really, it'll make your life quite a bit easier.

Dead Space
-The Pulse Rifle sucks...alot. It's damage-per-shot ratio is horrid. Even when upgraded, by the time you've killed ONE goddamn monster you've just used up most of your clip. (especially the tougher black monsters later in the game) The ammo is relatively rare despite being such a weak, lovely weapon.

-The Ripper is probably the best 1-on-1 weapon, with amazing damage-per-shot. Even when slightly upgraded, only one or two shots are needed to kill even the tougher monsters. But it sucks against multiple opponents, and is near useless against bosses.

-The Force Gun is great, too. Fantastic against multiple opponents (which becomes a common situation later in the game)

-The Contact Beam gun is probably the best-anti boss weapon in the game. Even if you never upgrade the damned thing, it'll make boss fights easier. Also great for killing those goddamn Tentacles. You will need a steady aim, though.

Fallout 3
-If you decide to invest in Energy Weapons, keep in mind that Plasma Rifles (the best energy gun in general) won't start appearing until you reach a certain point within the main quest. You'll know when that point is.

itrorev fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 31, 2009

Varicelli
Jan 24, 2009
Probarbly in the thread >9000 times but Deus Ex.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

Captain Novolin posted:

Metal Gear Solid
Always search out an area before moving on. There are a lot of items hidden around that sure, you'll come across later if you miss them, but you won't really want to. The back of the truck at the helipad for your first gun, and a room in the tank hanger for some thermal goggles before you leave it are two examples.
Also, Chaff Grenades are your friend. Find them. Use them. Love them.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

CloseFriend posted:

Metal Gear Solid

· You'll get tortured at some point in the story. The game has two endings, and whether you give in or not affects the ending. The canonical ending is the one where Snake doesn't give in, if that helps.
The 'bad' ending is better though in my opinion, since you get some well-voiced drama and angst, and you get some cute bonding scenes with Otacon. The ending also affects which special item you get for your second playthrough. Canon ending gets you the infinite ammo bandana and 'bad' ending gets you the stealth camo outfit which will make you undetectable to any NPC even while you attack them.

I have a question now!
Back when the Gamecube was still around, I got Super Mario Sunshine. I remember it as being horrible frustrating due to crappy controls and camera angles, and after getting 5 or so shine sprites I just gave it away to a friend. Years later, I'm a much bigger Mario nerd than before, and I'm now kinda wanting to play SMS again. And I'm thinking it's entirely possible the hatred stemmed from my being really bad at 3D platform games back then. The friend I gave it to isn't really into Mario so he's happy to return it, but he's in the UK (I'm in Aus) and is notoriously slack with mailing poo poo to people.

So my question is... does the game really suck, or did I? I mean, I know that I did, but did the game also suck? Is the game worth the price of postage and the looooong wait and constant reminders to my friend?
I'd go look up some reviews and such but because it's Mario it's hard to find an unbiased opinion on the net.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Mecha Labrador posted:

Just a quick question on Fallout 3 and the GNR quest.

People keep saying that talking to Dr. Li will break the quest, but can't you just go back to Three Dog, and have him offer you the key to his private stash as a bonus? I was under the impression that doing this was the only way to access the stash. Or is there some other way I'm not aware of? Do you lose anything for not doing GNR first?

You can pass a speech check to get him to tell you what he knows about your father, then he still gives you the GNR quest with the location of the cache (which frankly isnt all that wonderful anyway) instead of the information as a reward.

What you lose is the scripted sequence of meeting Sarah Lyons/The BOS on your way to GNR. If you dont sequence break, when you go to GNR and its attacked by a behemoth then the BOS will help you, but more usefully there is a fatman on the corpse of a dead paladin next to the fountain that you can use to make the fight much easier. If you dont meet the BOS then that isnt there. If you really want to get the cache, technically the best thing to do is go to GNR, have the fight outside it, dont go in but go to rivet city and talk to Dr Li. Then fast travel back to GNR and go talk to threedog. Bypasses the need for a (fairly difficult I think) speech check.

Captain Hilarious
Jan 3, 2006
hello what

CloseFriend posted:

Metal Gear Solid
· Get good at switching back and forth rapidly between first-person and third-person. You'll need it for the first boss battle.
· Cigarettes are useful for detecting invisible lasers.

How does first person help in the first boss battle? You can't shoot in first person in the original MGS. Running while aiming (hold X as you aim) is your best ally here, and is useful in numerous situations in the game.

Also I'm sure you're probably right, but what makes that the canonical ending? He has both items you receive in the sequel. (Apologies for the slight derail).

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

SiKboy posted:

Sarah Lyons
I've known a person with that name since preschool. :shobon:

Captain Hilarious posted:

Also I'm sure you're probably right, but what makes that the canonical ending? He has both items you receive in the sequel. (Apologies for the slight derail).
Uh... probably the fact that Meryl is in MGS4 and not loving dead.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Varicelli posted:

Probarbly in the thread >9000 times but Deus Ex.

It's not a shooter. It looks like one, but it's not, and trying to play it as one will get you killed all the time. You won't survive a straight-up shootout, especilly with multiple enemies, until much later in the game. Hide, learn your opponents' movement patterns, ambush and run, etc.

There are also multiple options for doing nearly anything. Be creative. Explore.

Captain Hilarious
Jan 3, 2006
hello what

Corridor posted:

I've known a person with that name since preschool. :shobon:

Uh... probably the fact that Meryl is in MGS4 and not loving dead.

Oh, I thought it was implied that Otacon died if you got the Meryl ending.

Jarrik
Oct 22, 2005

The devil inside
The devil inside
Every single one of us
the devil inside
Got a copy of Beyond Good & Evil (finally)...any advice is appreciated.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Captain Novolin posted:

Just picked up FFVII for my PSP, is there anything I should know for these two?
When you get to that annoying parade game, keep mashing the button while you are almost in line with everyone. It should give you something better than junk and don't worry about getting a perfect score.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

itrorev posted:

Fallout 3
-If you decide to invest in Energy Weapons, keep in mind that Plasma Rifles (the best energy gun in general) won't start appearing until you reach a certain point within the main quest. You'll know when that point is.
Walk to the Alien crash site and get the Alien blaster as your first trip from Megaton, even before you go to the Super-Duper mart. Then once you've leveled enough to handle a few mirelurks, go to Rivet City, do the Replicated Man quest, and get A3-21's Plasma Rifle out of it.

These are 2 of the most powerful weapons in the game, especially if you're big on energy weapons, and you can get them pretty early on.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Corridor posted:

So my question is... does the game really suck, or did I? I mean, I know that I did, but did the game also suck? Is the game worth the price of postage and the looooong wait and constant reminders to my friend?
I'd go look up some reviews and such but because it's Mario it's hard to find an unbiased opinion on the net.

SMS had excellent controls, but it required you to master them beyond what I could handle. If you've gotten good at other 3D games in the series, you'll probably enjoy it a lot more.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Mecha Labrador posted:

Just a quick question on Fallout 3 and the GNR quest.

People keep saying that talking to Dr. Li will break the quest, but can't you just go back to Three Dog, and have him offer you the key to his private stash as a bonus? I was under the impression that doing this was the only way to access the stash. Or is there some other way I'm not aware of? Do you lose anything for not doing GNR first?

Maybe you don't get the precious gamerpoints(tm)? First time through I didn't get the achievement for paradise falls.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Captain Hilarious posted:

Oh, I thought it was implied that Otacon died if you got the Meryl ending.

Not quite. He remains behind and doesn't escape with you, but since the facility doesn't get nuked after all and he still has stealth camo, there's no reason he shouldn't be fine.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

So I picked up The Dark Spire for DS...

:wtc: I got wrecked by the Tutorial Enemy but barely survived, but then got totally destroyed by the first bat monsters.
Man... I know it's supposed to be a throw-back to the old Wizardry games, but this just makes me want to gouge my eyes out... and play some more :v:

Considering this game tosses you into the deep end, filled with piranha's, with absolutely no way of knowing how to survive, could someone tell me what exactly I should be doing so that I don't suffer a horrible death?

Team Setup, Stats, Races, and just general advice is much appreciated

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Corridor posted:

I think Sunshine is widely considered the worst 3D Mario game, largely because of the jetpack. Personally, I thought it was pretty great, but the bonus levels without the jetpack were like, 10 times harder since I'd gotten used to using it to precision aim jumps.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I picked this game up at the $4.99 sale at Hollywood Video, and it was better than I figured it would be. There isn't much you have to worry about, but a few things I list below will hopefully answer any nagging questions that may develop in the early stages:

Blue Dragon

Magic
-Characters you train as magic users will generally have more MP than they know what to do with. By the time you get to the middle of the second disc, you'll find yourself using spells like Flare like regular attacks.
-If, for some reason, you can't seem to keep MP, the Sword Master skill "Absorb MP" will heal your magic based on about 1/4 the amount of damage done to an enemy (although it will be less if the enemy has fewer HP than your attack). It's overpowered.

Jobs
-For the most part, your stats are dependent on your job, and certain jobs have skills that will import their greatest stat into another class. Assassins have Ninja Swiftness for AGI, Monks have Battle Essence for attack, Guardians have Sentinel Shield for defense, Support Magic has Magic Essence for Mag Attack, Barrier Magic has Magic Fence for Mag Def. Such skills can be invaluable while training such jobs as Generalist, or any other job that is rather lacking in a certain attribute.

-Consider unlocking Generalist for each character as soon as possible. This job, though mediocre in every single stat, allows one to equip additional skills as you rank up, as well as additional accessory spots. Depending on your playing style, your non-physical attacking characters will be fine with level 26.

-Barrier magic is balls.

-Have each character have a primary job for the majority of the game that you can switch to in case things get rough. Again, each job has their own stat growth, so the highest level job will inevitably be the best for the job. Seriously, the only time I've ever had problems beating any non-sidequest bosses was due to my characters being in poo poo like Generalist and a magic class for my attackers.

-Most jobs have ultimate skills as their last skill taught. Arguably, the best skills are Double Strike (ASN), and Double Magic (Support), since there are no real penalties for either (i.e. no reduction in damage).

Misc.
-Pretty much everything you can see in the map is hiding something, ranging from lovely (10 Gold) to awesome (+1 stat, healing, +100 exp, +SP for everyone). I honestly find that it takes away from the game, but if you have the patience, there's actually an NPC who will reward you based on how many "Nothing" spaces you discover.

Based on my experience the following builds are the game breakers of Blue Dragon (I guess I'll spoiler it):

-A tank with high regular and magical defense, status ailment blocking, in the front row and with at least the following:

--Double Attack
--Absolute Counter Attack (Always counterattack)
--Endure (damages magic after HP is depleted)
--Total Guard (block any individual attack on anyone in the party)
--Meditation

--This character will block pretty much every attack both magical and physical, and can just heal his or herself if necessary.

-A magician with at least the following:

Double Magic
Support Magic
Black Magic
White Magic
Resurrection

--Ultimate support character.

Now that I think about it, those builds are fairly obvious, but you never know...

Prowler fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 31, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Baroque posted:

So I picked up The Dark Spire for DS...

Step 1, have a fighter in the first position
Step 2, change formation to heroic.
Step 3, buy the best armor you can for the fighter while ignoring everyone else.

This will put a very low AC character in the front row and make everyone else pretty much invincible unless the fighter dies or you fight an enemy that can do ranged attacks or magic.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Corridor posted:

Super Mario Sunshine

I liked it. There's only two or three levels that are really challenging, mainly the final one before Bowser. The last fight isn't too hard, but it's really cool. The super hard parts in the game are the Challenge levels that you have to do without your waterpack.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Another Fallout 3 question. I went and found the Alien Blaster, and its accompanying ammo cache. Am I limited to 120 shots for the whole game with this thing or is there some way of converting regular energy/MF cells to Alien Energy?

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!

projecthalaxy posted:

Another Fallout 3 question. I went and found the Alien Blaster, and its accompanying ammo cache. Am I limited to 120 shots for the whole game with this thing or is there some way of converting regular energy/MF cells to Alien Energy?

No, you can find some more in a few places, specifically in the brotherhood outcasts base.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

projecthalaxy posted:

If you have Broken Steel then when you go onto the Mobile Launch Platform in Adam's Air Force Base there is a locked box with an extra blaster and 3-4 locked ammo containers with more AB ammo.

And you'll probably be able to get even more with the Mothership Zeta DLC.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Still though, even with those other caches, there's no endless supply.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jarrik posted:

Its a fairly straightforward game so don't really worry about anything and just play through it naturally. The only advice I can think of is for the end boss as after a certain point it will reverse your controls which the game doesn't let you know and can get you killed.

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006

chryst posted:

Walk to the Alien crash site and get the Alien blaster as your first trip from Megaton, even before you go to the Super-Duper mart. Then once you've leveled enough to handle a few mirelurks, go to Rivet City, do the Replicated Man quest, and get A3-21's Plasma Rifle out of it.

These are 2 of the most powerful weapons in the game, especially if you're big on energy weapons, and you can get them pretty early on.

While this is true, both those weapons are very expensive to repair. Keeping them in top shape is tough if you can't find any other weapons of those type to repair with. The Alien blaster especially, since only one exist in the game.

Ogianres
Oct 21, 2008
Dead Rising:

-I've often heard people suggest that if you find DR to be difficult, you should get the Zombie Genocider achievement and/or "triple book" the small chainsaws. NO! BAD! Don't do either of these things at all on your first playthrough, or the game will just be ruined! I'm not even going to tell you how to get either of these, look it up yourself if you want to ruin the game.

-If the game is seriously kicking your rear end so bad you can't efficiently level or progress, go ahead and do the Zombie Genocider achievement or triple-book the small chainsaws (note that this is only an option for six-year-olds or people with a total of six fingers or less).

-If you want to do the Saint achievement, disregard the previous statements: you NEED the Real Mega Buster and/or triple-booked chainsaws. I don't care what anyone else says, get both of these items if you can.

-Don't get frustrated when you die; you can reload and try again, or start over with all of your experience. Note that single-run achievements can only be unlocked if you get an ending. The ending can be any ending at all, including missing the helicopter.

-The bosses all have a finite repetoire of moves and usually a finite pattern. The only exception to this is Adam the Clown who has a semi-random attack pattern and like eight different moves.

-You can give survivors items; some survivors can wield weapons. If a survivor is low on health, equip a food item, walk up to that survivor, and press (B). They will drop whatever item they may have had equipped on the ground, make sure to pick it up. Generally, only the infirm or female can not equip any weapons at all. Some females can equip handguns and some small weapons, but not shotguns or the like. Some people can equip any type of gun (other than the RMB) and any weapon that can be stored in your inventory.

-There's a gun shop in the North Plaza called the Huntin' Shack. Be warned, from night of Day 1 to night of Day 2, it is occupied by a gun-wielding boss named Cletus, who if you aren't prepared to deal with, will most likely kill the poo poo out of you. Of course, this is Dead Rising, you can reload and try again.

-Blenders can be used to mix special drinks. There are only two important drinks to concern yourself with: Quickstep and Nectar. Nectar summons a queen upon drinking, and increases queen spawn rates during its effect; it is obtained most easily by combining two OJs; it's so convenient I don't even know the other combinations to obtain Nectar. Quickstep can be created either by the combination of any two dairy products, or combining wine with anything other than cooking oil. It increases your movement speed to an incredibly high rate.

Left 4 Dead:

As survivor
-Never be by yourself
-Seriously, it's asking for a hunter or smoker to kill you
-Never let anyone else go anywhere alone, no matter how stupid they are
-Don't fall behind and don't run too far ahead
-If using the autoshotgun, never let the ammo count reach zero or you won't be able to instantly interrupt the reloading animation by shooting
-Don't go exploring unless your entire team is searching the same area
-You can melee while reloading the autoshotgun and the reloading won't be interrupted (I think)
-If you hear a boomer gurgle, make sure that you're steeled to hit melee, and not fire (but everyone will screw that up some times)
-No matter what, I don't care if you're boomed and being chased by an unignited tank, if you see someone pounced or smokered and nobody else is currently saving them, DROP WHATEVER THE gently caress IT IS YOU ARE DOING AND SAVE THEM; saved teammates can save you right back if you're being chased
-Conversely, you may as well risk dying to save someone else, as your team can't survive against a full team of infected with anything less than four survivors

As infected
-Never attack by yourself
-The previous point has some exceptions, such as when you're boomer trying to slow them down or swiping someone with 1 hp
-If a boomer attacks the survivors and succesfully booms some but not all of the survivors, pounce/smoke the survivor(s) that didn't get boomed
-Hunters can receive bonus damage to pounce swipes if they have been ignited by dynamic fire, that is, fire caused by cans or molotovs
-Smokers are very noisy, and should only participate in coordinated attacks or attack stragglers; there are some exceptions based on the map you're on
-Boomers are very noisy, and can be shot through walls; you want to spawn ahead of survivors as close to them as you can
-Boomers have a delay on their vomit when they spawn

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is one thing that all survivors should know about Tanks...if he is chasing someone else, run behind him and blast the gently caress out of him. An even better strategy on campaign Tanks is to get in melee range and shoot/melee him until he dies or leaves the prone guy alone.
I have yet to see anyone really take advantage of survivor Hate (MMO term), that Tanks will run past you and everyone else who doesn't piss him off the most.

LofwyrSai
Jul 19, 2006

Le réalité et toi, vous ne vous entendez pas, n'est-ce pas?
I've having trouble with MLB09 The Show for the PSP. I'm playing on Veteran as I don't like not having swing controls on Rookie and even with the sliders really jacked in my favor I'm having trouble winning games. Seems like no matter what I do the computer eventually catches my pitcher for some big hits. I seem to get plenty of hits but not runs (singles galore). I'm playing a modified Braves team that is ranked 3rd in the league in terms of overall talent so I should be doing pretty well.

Any tips and tricks?

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Jarrik posted:

Make sure you're patched up. There's a bug in the original release that is a show-stopper.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
In Fallout 3, the first part of the main quest is...

Colin Moriarty -> Three Dog -> Dr. Li -> Jefferson Memorial -> Vault 112.

You can skip ahead at any point along the way. However, if you skip ahead of Galaxy News Radio, and then go back later, you do not get the Brotherhood of Steel escort, which makes it harder.

If you do decide to do it this way, a sneaky way to beat the Behemoth is...

Run like hell to the GNR doors and click the intercom. The BoS guys will say "Looks like it's all clear" and let you in. (They must need new glasses). Go up some stairs and exit to a second story balcony. Since the Behemoth has no ranged attacks you can plink it to death.

The Alien Blaster is found with 120 units of ammo. You get more if you find the Firelance, there's some at Fort Independence, and a bit more at the base in Broken Steel. However, the Blaster can't be repaired (except by vendors, who do a poo poo job) so you only get about 60-80 quality shots from it anyway. But then, that's enough for the whole game if you only use it when you really need it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Can someone give me a few specific tips about Front Mission DS?

What is the maximum level for skills? 3?

It seems like Skill level is not tied to the level of your pilot. If I want to get Guide from Level 2 to Level 3, do I just have to successfully complete it X number of times? Or is its rate of Level Up proportional to the amount of experience obtained per turn?

I ask because I'm stuck a certain mission where I'm continually getting hosed by my guided attacks missing. I want to grind them up a bit in the Arena, but a lot of my characters with their current equipment sets are getting very little actual experience from the matches.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Any general advice for Marvel Ultimate Alliance? And more specifically, when should I be attempting the solo simulation levels? I'm level 9 and am getting raped by the bosses on Capt America, Wolverine and Iron Man.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
An old one, but does anyone have anything to say about Ogre Battle 64?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Nocturne Sabre posted:

An old one, but does anyone have anything to say about Ogre Battle 64?

There are multiple ways to "take over" a city. If the alignment of the unit taking it over more or less equals the morale of the city, it'll be "liberated" else it'll be "conquered" or somesuch. Unless you spend an inordinate amount of time tweaking alignments of your units and picking which fights everyone gets in (pretty tough), you'll end up conquering all the bases rather than liberating them, which nets you worse and worse endings depending on how you did. Conversely, liberating them gets you good endings.

My first time through the game, I did so badly that, even though I won the war and saved humanity etc etc I was still seen as an evil overlord and my own allies turned on me and killed me.