Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Glass Joe posted:

Where do I start with Journey, The Alan Parsons Project, Led Zeppelin, and Shiny Toy Guns (yeah I know they only have 2 albums but I'm digging their Major Tom cover, so where should I go first)?

Led Zeppelin iV seems to always be the go to album. If you enjoy that one then pick up the others (I-III). After Houses of the Holy the albums get kind of not so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crandnew
Jul 5, 2008

Too Hot for the Hot Tub
Where do I start with XTC

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
edit: meant this for recommendation thread

CharlesWillisMaddox fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 7, 2009

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?
I'm wondering where to start with Pele and Grails.

redz fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 7, 2009

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

redz posted:

Grails

Their last two, Doomsdayer's Holiday and Take Refuge in Clean Living would be the best place to start, they're a lot more accessible than their earlier stuff.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

crandnew posted:

Going with either Skylarking or English Settlement would be the best bet because those are arguably the best and most consistent albums they've made. From there start from Drums and Wires up.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Polegrinder posted:

Led Zeppelin iV seems to always be the go to album. If you enjoy that one then pick up the others (I-III). After Houses of the Holy the albums get kind of not so good.

Yeah basically do

IV
I
II
III
HotH

Then just buy what sounds good based off of 30 second Itunes previews/YouTube. Do not get anything from Presence aside from Achilles' Last Stand.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I picked up the first Bloc Party album after never listening to them at all, and I absolutely love it. However I've heard less then enthusiastic reviews of the two recent albums.

Do they get better or should I not bother and taint their image as being a tremendous band?

Daryl Fucking Hall
Feb 27, 2007

Daryl ohhhhhhhh Daryl

-Atom- posted:

I picked up the first Bloc Party album after never listening to them at all, and I absolutely love it. However I've heard less then enthusiastic reviews of the two recent albums.

Do they get better or should I not bother and taint their image as being a tremendous band?

Man, honestly - if you like their first album well enough, why not risk like, an hour and a half of your life and form your own opinion? At worst, you've found some music you won't make the mistake of listening to again.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

-Atom- posted:

The latter two albums have a few good songs between them, but neither of them are anywhere close to being as good as Silent Alarm.

I'd say listen to them, but listen with lowered expectations.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Glass Joe posted:

Where do I start with Journey, The Alan Parsons Project..

Escape was their monster, but I found it a little wimpy - at the time, only girls would admit liking it - IMHO, Departure, Evolution and Infinity are more muscular albums but still have that instantly identifiable "Journey" sound.

Stay away from their first three albums, they're typical noodling prog-rock(unless you like that sort of thing), and most of their post-1980 stuff is pretty bad, excepting the song "Worlds Apart".

As for APP, I, Robot is a good recomendation, but I liked The Turn Of A Friendly Card as well. After that..well, maybe Eve and Eye In The Sky. Their later albums just get blander, in my opinion.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

DARYL loving HALL posted:

Man, honestly - if you like their first album well enough, why not risk like, an hour and a half of your life and form your own opinion? At worst, you've found some music you won't make the mistake of listening to again.

I normally would do this without thinking twice, but everyone I talk to that is familiar with Bloc Party tells me to not even bother because it just completely drops their overall enjoyment of the band.

It is a real hoity-toity attitude to have but you know, it's not that big a deal.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

crandnew posted:

Take one and then in an hour if you're not feeling much take another :d

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The second two Bloc Party albums did absolutely nothing for me while I liked the first a good deal. This is a pretty common position.

Why's everybody leaving Physical Graffiti off the list of good Zeppelin albums? It may be a little bloated but it definitely belongs with I-IV and Houses of the Holy rather than Presence and In through the Out Door.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Industrial! I am fascinated by early industrial pioneers, but find their music very challenging.

Where should I start with Cabaret Voltaire?

What about Throbbing Gristle? Do I pick up 20 Jazz Funk Greats and just stop?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
From a few pages back but whatever.

HVD posted:

Elbow
The Seldom Seen Kid has sold the most copies for a reason. After that, either Leaders Of The Free World (better structured songs) or Asleep In The Back (more sprawling songs). That leaves Cast Of Thousands which always left me a bit cold.

For Primal Scream get Screamadelica (happy dance) or Xtrmntr (paranoid techno-rock) then get the other one. Vanishing Point is the only other album it's easy to recommend.

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
Where should I start with Fleetwood Mac? I have Rumors and loving love it, love everything about Stevie Nicks' amazing voice. :swoon:

Boner Calhoun
Jun 15, 2005

Silence in the studio!

Rotten rear end Joe posted:

Where should I start with Fleetwood Mac? I have Rumors and loving love it, love everything about Stevie Nicks' amazing voice. :swoon:

You'd want to get Tusk, it's probably their best album besides Rumors. Also their 1975 self titled is pretty rad, too.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

DasNeonLicht posted:

Where should I start with Cabaret Voltaire?

CabVo is funny because they have so many distinct stages in their career. Experimental/industrial, off-kilter jazz/funk, industrial dance, more straight-forward dance music, and finally ambient/trance. If you're primarily interested in the industrial era I would recommend The Voice of America, or 2x45.

DasNeonLicht posted:

What about Throbbing Gristle? Do I pick up 20 Jazz Funk Greats and just stop?

That's the best starting point, it's their most "listenable" album. If you're still intrigued after that, try D.O.A. or Very Friendly. There are about a billion live albums, but they're entirely skippable.

Tegan and Sankara
May 4, 2009

Ellen Page Reactor posted:

Thanks a bunch, you guys.

I plan on going to http://www.last.fm/event/1028355 on Saturday, but I don't know very much about either Conor Oberst or Jenny Lewis so I thought I'd come back to you guys. I know that both of them (or just Oberst?) have been involved with a few different projects, so where should I start?

Conor Oberst's main project is Bright Eyes. All of his albums are pretty good, I'm Wide Awake It's Morning is probably the most critically acclaimed. After that Four Winds is probably a good place to go, it's the last album he did before the Mystic Valley Band and so the sound is pretty similar. His older stuff is still awesome, but I'd think quite misleading if you're preparing for that gig.

I'm not much a fan of Rilo Keily (sp?), Jenny Lewis' band, but I think they've only had one album out. She also did an album with the Watson Twins which is meant to be pretty good, but again, not a fan.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

A Violence Gang posted:

The second two Bloc Party albums did absolutely nothing for me while I liked the first a good deal. This is a pretty common position.

Why's everybody leaving Physical Graffiti off the list of good Zeppelin albums? It may be a little bloated but it definitely belongs with I-IV and Houses of the Holy rather than Presence and In through the Out Door.

Because it's bloated and doesn't have too many good songs.

I'll give you that it's better than the latter two.

Auryn54
Mar 15, 2004

The other day I was listening to my recommendations station on last.fm and I heard some Yo La Tengo that I liked; where do I start with them?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Auryn54 posted:

The other day I was listening to my recommendations station on last.fm and I heard some Yo La Tengo that I liked; where do I start with them?

Painful and I can Hear the Heart Beating as One. Painful is my favorite album by them, its fairly bleak with a lot of organ, but I love the overall mood and sound (Sudden Organ and Nowhere Near are two of my favorite Yo la Tengo songs). ICHTHBAO has more recognizable radio songs (Sugarcube, Autumn Sweater) and is more upbeat - most people usually list it as the best Yo la Tengo album.

They have other good albums, and some other lackluster albums (actually the Shaker EP is one of my favorites just for the Richard and Linda Thompson cover), but definitely start with those two.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

more of a "where do I continue" question

I have three Boris albums and I like them like this
Akuma no uta: gently caress yeah
Pink: OK!
parts of Smile: seems good, not gently caress yeah
Feedbacker: hrmmm

where to next?

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

You need to get Heavy Rocks, and then probably Amplifier Worship.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Technetium posted:

You need to get Heavy Rocks, and then probably Amplifier Worship.
actually I got confused and meant Amplifier Worship rather than Feedbacker (which I haven't heard)

Ghost Boner
Jul 6, 2009
I just listened to Hombre Lobo by The Eels and really enjoyed it. What would be the best album to go to from here?

Also, Depeche Mode. Where would I start with them?

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Ghost Boner posted:

I just listened to Hombre Lobo by The Eels and really enjoyed it. What would be the best album to go to from here?

Eels are my favorite band, so I hope I can answer this correctly. Were your favorite songs on that album the more sad/introspective ones like The Longing and That Look You Give That Guy or were they the more happy/upbeat ones like Tremendous Dynamite and Prizefighter?

If you lean towards the more sad songs, get Electroshock Blues (2nd best album and also my 2nd favorite album ever) and Blinking Lights (best album).

If you lean towards the happier songs, check out Souljacker and Daisies Of The Galaxy. After that, definitely get Beautiful Freak and Shootenanny....okay, the latter album isn't actually that good unless you're a die-hard fan so I would make that the last one you listen to.

Regardless, you should get Blinking Lights because I feel that that is the best Eels album and it has a variety of moods. It's 2 discs though, which may throw off a newcomer, but I hope you enjoy it as much as I do (it's my favorite album of all time I think)

edit - Although I should have clarified that most of their albums don't neatly fall into happy vs. sad songs and that there's a balance in most of them - a few do lean one way though and that's what I was basing my recommendation on

Final Fart Buttball fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 31, 2009

Ghost Boner
Jul 6, 2009

Final Fantasy Baseball posted:

Awesome Eels post

Fresh Blood was my favourite song of the album. I really like the really dark feel it had to it, so any other songs/albums like that would be great.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Ghost Boner posted:

Fresh Blood was my favourite song of the album. I really like the really dark feel it had to it, so any other songs/albums like that would be great.

Unfortunately that song is more electro-influenced than pretty much any other song in their entire catalog - however, if you liked that song, I have a feeling you might enjoy Souljacker to start off with. However, it is definitely not the most depressing album a mile - not sure what kind of 'dark' you're looking for but I'll just reiterate that Blinking Lights and Electroshock Blues are the most depressing. So get those 3, then :) Of course I want you to get every album, it's just hard to whittle it down to a couple

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Ghost Boner posted:

Also, Depeche Mode. Where would I start with them?
Violator is usually considered their most accessible album, if not their best. Then, if you like it but think it needs more rock elements, move onto Songs of Faith and Devotion. Or, if you think Violator's synthpop style is fabulous the way it is, move backwards and check out Music for the Masses and Black Celebration. If you don't like Violator, then too bad, you probably won't like Depeche Mode.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

I will eat your children.

Farts Domino posted:

actually I got confused and meant Amplifier Worship rather than Feedbacker (which I haven't heard)

You ought to check out Rock Dream with Boris and Merzbow. Live recording with Boris doing what they do best and Merzbow complementing with a bit of noise. I'm quite fond of it atleast.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
How about Mogwai? Where would I start with them?
Boards of Canada and GY!BE are some of my favorite bands so... I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
How do I get into Current 93? I've listened to some of their stuff and it just seems like crazy poetry set against medieval music. Is that the point or something?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

mcvey posted:

How about Mogwai? Where would I start with them?
Boards of Canada and GY!BE are some of my favorite bands so... I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

Happy Songs For Happy People, I'd say. Either that or Young Team.

I got into them with Happy Songs and wanted everything they'd done after I heard that album.

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down

Polegrinder posted:

How can you say that, Physical Graffiti and In Through the Out Door are both great albums with some led zeppelin classics. In my opinion, just avoid coda and presence.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
In Through The Out Door is absolutely skippable. It's just so bland and sounds like a compilation album of recent artists (Fool in the Rain sounds like a goddamn Billy Joel song)

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

Violator is usually considered their most accessible album, if not their best. Then, if you like it but think it needs more rock elements, move onto Songs of Faith and Devotion. Or, if you think Violator's synthpop style is fabulous the way it is, move backwards and check out Music for the Masses and Black Celebration. If you don't like Violator, then too bad, you probably won't like Depeche Mode.
Every person on this planet should own Violator, but as an alternative, you could pick up one of their singles collections (81-85 or 86-98). From there, you can investigate the albums with the singles you like.

Or, if Violator is too dark for you, but you still like synthpop and other 80s music, you might try getting their first album, Speak & Spell, and moving through their albums chronologically, as things don't get too angsty until Black Celebration (which is a great, great album). It eases you into their more serious stuff, and it worked for me.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

This is obviously a loaded question but, where do I start with jazz? I just got back from a vacation in New Orleans. While I was there, I shuffled into a little hole-in-the-wall jazz club and spent a couple hours listening to a 4-piece jazz band just tear it up. I had a lot of fun and really enjoyed the jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Caseman posted:

This is obviously a loaded question but, where do I start with jazz? I just got back from a vacation in New Orleans. While I was there, I shuffled into a little hole-in-the-wall jazz club and spent a couple hours listening to a 4-piece jazz band just tear it up. I had a lot of fun and really enjoyed the jam.

Ken Burns' documentary about Jazz, called Jazz - it has some flaws (noticeably that it focuses heavily on roots and swing and very little on free jazz, fusion or any other style that's been relevant in the last 50 years) but is a great introduction to a ton of canonical artists and classic styles. If you're interested in the newer stuff some classic staples worth getting are Bitches Brew by Miles Davis, Karma by Pharaoh Sanders, Mingus Ah Um by Charles Mingus and The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra.