Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Made it to a hotel in Aalborg, northern part of Denmark. Only 45 mins away from the final ferry tomorrow morning. Did Provence to here in two days, 2000 km or about 1240 miles in total.

1000 km is a long rear end ride for a day, that is just about my personal limit. The body says "aaah, gonna be nice to pull over and call it day any moment now" at about 750 km but the GPS is just "ahem, well, you see there is still that last tank of gas to burn". About 5750 km / 3570 mi in total for this trip, about 4500 km of that is straight Autobahn, Autostrada, Autoroute, Autowhatever, so my lovely Avon Roadriders are getting seriously flatspotted. :( People who live in areas without curves have my sympathies.

The oil leak I thought I fixed persisted throughout the trip. Like some ninja version of Exxon Valdez, I have killed small amounts of wildlife here and there throughout the continent. I'm on my fifth bottle of oil since starting, so the good news is the oil change I would've needed to do underway according to the service manual was actually done gradually. If I remained under 120 kph it consumed very little, but if I tucked in and yanked on the wire the sightglass would go from 3/4 full to bottom line in one tank of gas. Yikes. But whatevs, it will be fixed.

Next Eurotrip will have shorter daily legs and planned to avoid straight highways as much as possible, although a few transport stages are just fine. And the next Eurotrip should also have, if I'm honest with myself, a bike that was produced after the cold war ended. Not that it has behaved badly all things considered. Regardless of the oil leak and sometimes running low it has never missed a single scheduled opportunity to ignite gas and air or otherwise failed to do what it was told. The only issue that came up was the GPS losing power and that was because the mini USB intended for use inside a car got wonky, some duct tape set it straight. And that's not even an actual bike part. But some more touring comfort, some (maybe even a lot) more gimme-now torque and some brake and suspension technology from a post Y2K world would do me good. We'll have to see what the gathering of the Elder Moths of the Wallet has to say about that.

Oh and smoking finally paid off. The only available room in the hotel in Aalborg for smokers was a suite with balcony and two bathrooms (for single room rate), so now I can just poo poo all over the place!

Have almost 800 pics, but the little netbook I'm using is terrible for handling images. Teaser pics Monday morning, promise. Now I need to get to work on a bottle of Chablis.

edit: Oh and another bike issue was me riding over 40 km without the oil cap after forgetting to put it back on after filling. What a complete idiot I am. Sprayed oil all over the engine and my leg, but not enough to empty the sightglass so the engine didn't mind at all. Unless maybe some butterfly went in there and will block some passage tomorrow morning. Talk about user error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Awesome to hear, really looking forward to the pics!

Me, I left the bike at home and drove to Niagara Falls with a friend, saw tonnes of bikes out and about, mostly big rear end cruisers & tourers. Finally had some nice weather for it!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

frozenphil posted:

I broke the 100 mile mark on the odo. :shobon:

Working on 300 myself.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ola, I am completely stoked.

Did dick-all with either biek today; tomorrow, must make headway into getting the KLR into saleable condition, consisting of putting on the new frame stay and washing the bejesus out of it. The sidepanel mounting bracket was definitely bent to hell on the old one. Also should probably apply touchup paint to the chips on the tank, and maybe wipe the bugs off the sidecases on the Strom. (Does wussing out on the siderack installation and getting the dealer to do it free of charge count as stuff you did to your ride? If so, "I" put on some luggage last week. But seriously I couldn't get the rack to line up without reefing on it, or bending it with equipment I ain't got)

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Checked all my fluids and chain slack. Got a new tank bag yesterday, gonna try and pick up an atlas when I'm out getting earplugs. Hopefully I'll see something interesting enough to post about. But I doubt it, good 'ol midwest. There's maybe one interesting road here and we won't be going that way today. Oh well.

Bonus pics:

Got the TB-12 from newenough. Will be great for making quick runs to the store, or putzing around town with a camera. Plenty of room for enough clothes for a weekend excursion.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
the rule is pics or it didn't happen.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Fantastipotamus posted:

You don't think I could get it off with a half-inch drive socket wrench?

I've done two bikes with my 18" breaker bar. Just make sure you hold the rear brake and don't cut the chain (yet).

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Put a new set of Shinko 244s on the KLR, had to patch a pinch flat from the tire iron on the front tube, repacked the front & rear bearings, scrubbed the chain clean with some Simple Green and cut off those little tits on the new tires, for some reason I hate those things.
Oh yea, I put in some Dynabeads in the tubes, I'll see how they do and report in the tires thread.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Had a look at the sparkplug wires again, used a bit of dielectric compound on the wires and plug ends, and tightened them up. Warmed it up a bit to check the oil, I guess I was a bit low. Added 300ml.

Then took 'er out to gas up and go for a little ride before dinner, which ended up lasting almost 2 hours. :) Hard to tell what's going on with the weather these days, but if tomorrow morning's good, I'm going to try to ride out to where I was going on Thursday when I cacked out. Either that or give 'er a bit of a wash.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Installed the engine in the ZX6R. Still dont' have the top end or the covers installed, but it's enough to get it sorted with the CHP. Hopefully I'll get a plate this week.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Got my first experience of riding in the rain. All in all it wasn't as bad as I had built it up in my mind to be; definitely not bad enough to not go riding just because of rain.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
i took mine off the trailer and parked it in my garage for the first time, if that counts.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I went hogwild and painted my wheels, chainguard, swingarm and rearsets. Its amazing how much a coat of paint can transform a lovely looking bike to something nice.

Of course I was a dumbass and didn't photograph it right before so I cant do a before/after comparison anymore. :downs:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I replaced the sprockets and chain on the KDX, likely the first time it's been done in the bike's 25 year life. Now if Parts Unlimited would just ship me the smaller front sprocket, I could have some more fun.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I went hogwild and painted my wheels, chainguard, swingarm and rearsets. Its amazing how much a coat of paint can transform a lovely looking bike to something nice.

Of course I was a dumbass and didn't photograph it right before so I cant do a before/after comparison anymore. :downs:

Well at least post up some after pics. :)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

frozenphil posted:

Got my first experience of riding in the rain. All in all it wasn't as bad as I had built it up in my mind to be; definitely not bad enough to not go riding just because of rain.

Just make sure you pick the right rain gear. Nothing sucks worse than your wet weather gear failing on the highway because the rain soaks through in a matter or seconds. The rain made it through the right arm on my rain suit while doing 65mph a few days ago and water was running down my arm moments later.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

8ender posted:

Just make sure you pick the right rain gear. Nothing sucks worse than your wet weather gear failing on the highway because the rain soaks through in a matter or seconds. The rain made it through the right arm on my rain suit while doing 65mph a few days ago and water was running down my arm moments later.

I can see how good rain gear would be nice for a long ride or commuting, but I was just doing a little 40 mile jaunt down a fun little twisty back country road in my mesh jacket and the rain felt nice against the 95F ambient temps.

When I pulled into my yard after my ride I also got to experience another first, riding through mud. Not what I would call fun on a Ninja 250.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Z3n posted:

Well at least post up some after pics. :)

An exhaust I ordered is coming in today, so going to wait until I have that on, but I most definitely will!

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Ola posted:

Trip update...
Good to hear you are still making progress with the oil problems. I'm looking forward to your update with photos. Good Luck!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I have made it all the way home, rolled off the boat at 8 am this morning, 1 mile home, sleep and then went to work at 3 pm. When I get home (4 hrs) I'll post some teaser pics and then get to work on a trip report.

Oil leak turned way worse the last two nights. The hotel in Aalborg has a nice puddle of 10w40 in their garage, so does the motorcycle parking on the ferry (wiped it as best I could) and so does my regular parking site. At least I am home with all my bones and bearings intact.

Trip totals:

Distance: 5889 km / 3659 mi
Oil filled: 4.5 liters / 1.18 US gal
Moments of great stupid: 2
Wasp stings at speed: 2
Bugs killed: 4 million, maybe more.
Pictures taken: ~850

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Oil Puked from my Crankcase when I took off this morning. Apparently this is how it happens:

http://www.cmsnl.com/classic-honda-forum/350twinnew_f20/71cb350oilleak-help_t1486.html

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
600 km ride out to J Random Town, most of it hilly but straight, last fifty through the city in an annoying drizzle. Not sure if that's as far as when I took the KLR down the forestry trunk road but I sure as heck did it quicker.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Just uploaded a few random trip preview pics before going to work. Late shift this week so hard to get good time for writing, but will start on a bg trip report soon. Not sure what the best thread was to dump them in, but this will do fine.

Ola fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 4, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Hooray, the obligitory boot shot and switchbacks! :neckbeard:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Ola posted:

A lane just for bikes :aaaaa:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

8ender posted:

A lane just for bikes :aaaaa:

Actually it's a lane just for breakdowns and emergency vehicles, with steep fines for misuse. :angel:

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

The scrambler became not a scrambler

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Ola posted:

This could be art right there.

Rolled over 10,000 miles on the VFR today (bought it in May with 6700).

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 5, 2009

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Did some shopping today... parts won't be in till next Tues or Wed but it at least feels productive.

Ordered a few new parts (cyl head cover gasket, tach sending unit seals, oil filter, o-ring, drain plug and crush ring, cover breather gasket and oil separators). Also picked up gear oil, engine oil, brake fluid, a bunch of engine degreaser, and a new battery yesterday. Battery went in last night, and I'm planning to drain and fill the secondary and final drives, and flush the brakes this weekend.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Ordered a cover and a smoked shield. Also adjusted the preload on my Ninja 250's rear shock. I currently have it at setting "2" and it feels much better. I'm going to try "3" tomorrow and just work my way up until I find a good balance of rigidity and ride comfort.

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

Changed the oil on my Ducati Monster 620. The fine engineers at Ducati run the exhaust pretty much directly under the drain plug and oil filter. Besides burning my hand a bit, I smell like burned oil still from my ride in. Oil looked great after 5k miles, and there was very little metal on the magnet from the drain plug. Next up is to repair my side view mirror delete from forgetting i left my lock on the rotor and tried to ride away. Good thing was that I pulled it out of the garage across the grass and dumped it in the grass rather than the driveway.

Next up is check valves then the 12k mile service is complete.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Packed up all my luggage(Nelson-Rigg rear seat bag, saddlebags, tank bag) and took it for a spin around town. It doesn't seem to affect handling much at all, even though it's 60+lbs.

Tomorrow I ride to Milledgeville, GA on my way to Deal's Gap.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
Tried to take out the drat battery for the dozenth time and failed. Re-charging the battery tonight and reinstalling it tomorrow AM hopefully in time to ride to work.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
I had to use my new impact driver to get my crankcase cover screws off to finally get underneath. The front portion was fine, the back was pure sludge, with this little poo poo happening

I think this is what made all my oil leak out all at once. ughhhhh

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Took the Ninjette offroading this weekend, found some nice spots to go camping in a few weeks. Now just gotta wait for the saddlebags to arrive and to plan out a short trip!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

I got my first taste of riding in heavy traffic. Stop and go sucks cocks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

I got my first taste of riding in heavy traffic. Stop and go sucks cocks.

This is why California rules. :smug:

Sucks for a lot of other reasons, but lane sharing? Oh man, it's fantastic.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
It is also very possible to lane share in other states :ssh:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

This is why California rules. :smug:

Sucks for a lot of other reasons, but lane sharing? Oh man, it's fantastic.

It's also why automatics rule. :smug:
Blugu: :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Ola posted:

Actually it's a lane just for breakdowns and emergency vehicles, with steep fines for misuse. :angel:

In Boston some expressways allow travel there during rush hour.

That said it really sucks that apparently this means every SUV has just GOT to squeeze in there even though they don't really fit, even when there's no real traffic and thus no reason to drive there.

They also then clog up onramps and offramps and make things super complicated for everyone.

Of course, MA also, during rush hour, places cops on streets blocking entire lanes near offramps ... just to block the lane. No other purpose. Every offramp on route 9. Yay!