Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

The Fog posted:

Maybe this helps:

Does it look like that?

It looks almost exactly like that, except without "Plugins" and a couple others. I guess Cubase Studio is missing this option? Seems a very petty feature to leave out if you ask me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
uhm.. why dont you just copy the audio/midi part to say 16-32 bars or whatever, set the locators around it, set glitch as an insert effect, solo and export audio?

If im understanding this correctly, you want a selection of processing variations to get what you like the most, right? With this approach and the scissor tool this should be extremely easy.

hot tip set your quantize to 1/8 or 1/16 or whatever, press alt and click with the scissors and it will cut the entire part for you automatically.

Oh and set a keycommand for export audio mixdown.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

uhm.. why dont you just copy the audio/midi part to say 16-32 bars or whatever, set the locators around it, set glitch as an insert effect, solo and export audio?

If im understanding this correctly, you want a selection of processing variations to get what you like the most, right? With this approach and the scissor tool this should be extremely easy.

hot tip set your quantize to 1/8 or 1/16 or whatever, press alt and click with the scissors and it will cut the entire part for you automatically.

Oh and set a keycommand for export audio mixdown.

Yep, that's what I'm going to do, just wondered if there was a quicker way of doing it, like using that command I'm missing. Thanks for the Alt-Scissors thing though.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

chippy posted:

Yep, that's what I'm going to do, just wondered if there was a quicker way of doing it, like using that command I'm missing. Thanks for the Alt-Scissors thing though.

I doubt its that much faster. Maybe 5 seconds?

Set your keycommands up properly and learn to use them. Set locators with P, for example.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

I doubt its that much faster. Maybe 5 seconds?

Set your keycommands up properly and learn to use them. Set locators with P, for example.

Well, exporting always takes a lot more time than just processing in place.
First you need to set the locators, then you need to make sure everything is at unity gain, with nothing on the master bus, then you need to choose a filename to export to, then you need to reimport it, then you need to place it inside your project. Takes a lot more than 5 secs usually.
Also processing in place lets you undo whatever you did, whereas exporting won't let you do that.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

The Fog posted:

First you need to set the locators, then you need to make sure everything is at unity gain, with nothing on the master bus, then you need to choose a filename to export to, then you need to reimport it, then you need to place it inside your project. Takes a lot more than 5 secs usually.
Also processing in place lets you undo whatever you did, whereas exporting won't let you do that.

Yeah, it is a bit more effort. There are options in the export dialog box to add the export straight to a new track in your current project so that helped a bit, but I had loads of trouble with the level. I set the fader for the channel I was exporting to 0db (that's unity gain, right?) and it wasn't peaking anywhere near 0, yet the exported track I got from this was clipped to buggery. It took several goes to get the level right.

chippy fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 2, 2009

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

The Fog posted:

I said 5 seconds FASTER, with the direct processing method.

You are either reaching very hard here, or you do not know your sequencer very well. Rendering automatically imports the new part to the pool and places it on a new separate track directly below the last track in the project window at the same exact location. In addition to that you have the source track still there giving you all the options in the world to redo the render.

Not to mention that with this routine, contrary to the apply plugin direct method, you have a much greater control over the effect, and the ability to quickly render out different versions while adjusting and fine tuning, and each will be put on its own seperate track, with its own seperate part. Adjust plugin, render, fine tune, render, fine tune again, render. Listen through with tracks on solo and pick your favourite, delete rest. Flexibility.

Good routines are key. Bad ones, combined with a poor understanding of your tools is an incredibly awesome method to kill creativity.

efb. walked the dog while replying :smith:

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.
Yeah, you can export it to a new track, but you still have to place it everywhere you want it. :S
I mean, say you have a drumloop that you want to put through a chorus-effect. You have to export that one and copy/paste it over the whole song.
If you just process the sample instead, it's already done for you and will just replace every instance.

This is extremely time consuming and KILLS the whole mood, especially once you notice "Oh crap, I forgot to use this one effect in the chain" and have to re-export everything again.

Audio->Plugins is great for creativity and personally, I wouldn't be able to live without it. It's a great time-saver and I KNOW I would avoid a lot of trying/editing if it wasn't for that.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
A fair point I suppose, but extremely time consuming?

My method of arrangement is loop based, that I develop into 5-6 different sections and then arrange, so I can see how someone who arranges while creating sounds might find your method more efficient, didnt even think about that until now actually.

When I arrange though I usually keep a dry and wet copy of a track in preparation for the mixing stage, so I usually just render the entire thing. Then again my CPU doesnt suck :smug:

tl;dr good point didnt think of that.

ps: there should be a seperate thread for technical production aspects and methods I feel, just a thought. Hard to seek out the good tips among all the gear spergin and dubstep postin.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

ps: there should be a seperate thread for technical production aspects and methods I feel, just a thought. Hard to seek out the good tips among all the gear spergin and dubstep postin.

Yeah, just those threads tend to get ignored. At least in the chaos here there's a chance.

More dubstep:

haximus prime
Nov 23, 2007
buttes
i use ableton live and can not at all find a decent hoover sound for it, i've googled around for patches or any directions and the only ones i've found really suck. one that i've found freaks out when you push more than one key.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1pzvapaR1E

^ the only youtube example i could find

can anyone point me in the right direction?

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

haximus prime posted:

i use ableton live and can not at all find a decent hoover sound for it, i've googled around for patches or any directions and the only ones i've found really suck. one that i've found freaks out when you push more than one key.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1pzvapaR1E

^ the only youtube example i could find

can anyone point me in the right direction?

Just start detuning stuff until it sounds right, and remember to use pitch bending/glide.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
The original hoover was made with a Roland Alpha Juno 1 or 2 synthesizer. Detuning does not actually get you there, and the patch is elusive enough because it abuses some things that are unique to the Alpha Juno. The AJ is a single-oscillator synthesizer, so there is nothing to detune.

First, there's the unique PWM on the Juno. You won't find this on other synths. Then there's chorus - it has a pretty high speed.

Your best best short of buying one is to download the Nord Modular G2 demo editor and load up this patch here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-26397.html

That way you can find out how it's made and try some of the tricks.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
yoozer you are the biggest synth geek ever

i love it

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
more 2-step I'm working on, really loving that border community techno

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Yoozer posted:

First, there's the unique PWM on the Juno. You won't find this on other synths.

What sets the PWM on the Juno apart from other synths? For that matter, how do you design a unique PWM at all? :psyduck:

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

IanTheM posted:

hahaha thats... interesting.

edit: I expect to hear bigbeat making a return, with A Break in the Clouds under next up, im sure

Quincy Smallvoice fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 5, 2009

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

squidgee posted:

What sets the PWM on the Juno apart from other synths? For that matter, how do you design a unique PWM at all? :psyduck:

According the wikipedia page for Hoover Sound, the Juno "uses a unique method of PWM, splitting the wave into 4 segments and separately modulating their widths"

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

IanTheM posted:

I won't lie, my head initially wanted to explode when I heard Goon Shuffled Hi Hat Tune #45690, but this did turn out pretty rad as it got further into the song. Neat.

EDIT: Also (and this isn't aimed at you or anything so don't take it personally) why does everyone all of a sudden want to copy Flylo, Burial, and their ilk? I'm cool with poo poo getting a bit more experimental but goddamn I can only listen to so many broken screwed up beats with crackling in the background before I want to slit my wrists.

h_double posted:

According the wikipedia page for Hoover Sound, the Juno "uses a unique method of PWM, splitting the wave into 4 segments and separately modulating their widths"

Huh, that's actually pretty clever.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 5, 2009

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

squidgee posted:

why does everyone all of a sudden want to copy Flylo, Burial, and their ilk?
2step-inspired music is a little deeper than that. Sure, listening to a lot of beats on here you might not know it, but I think he's pretty obviously going for a different vibe than those two artists.

I really like the end of track, maybe you shouldn't wait so long for the stabs. Do your funky, too-shuffled hihat beats at first but I say it should fall in to a more steady beat sooner, and the stabs kinda make it all fit together a lot better. Make it more like a grime instrumental it so badly wants to be and less like a track with a labored buildup.

The "ha"s are way classy, I like it. The sounds of all your drums are pretty on point.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

ManoliIsFat posted:

I really like the end of track, maybe you shouldn't wait so long for the stabs. Do your funky, too-shuffled hihat beats at first but I say it should fall in to a more steady beat sooner, and the stabs kinda make it all fit together a lot better. Make it more like a grime instrumental it so badly wants to be and less like a track with a labored buildup.

Yeah I usually work hard on the concept and leave the arrangement alone at first, since it gets hard to tell what the hell it's gonna feel like when you've just been sitting in front of a loop for the past half hour and when you play through the entire track your entire mind is just focused on how the high hats feel. Think I have a good basis here though, definitely gonna complicate things when it comes to the strings and bass soon.

squidgee posted:

I won't lie, my head initially wanted to explode when I heard Goon Shuffled Hi Hat Tune #45690, but this did turn out pretty rad as it got further into the song. Neat.

I won't lie, I consider myself at the forefront of the Goon Shuffled Hi Hat movement. It's hard to explain why some people are so attached to the idea. Some are probably chasing relevancy, thinking that by loving up their beats they can make an average track and suddenly the messed beats will win everyone over. In a sense they're using it like auto-tune and gated snares, except even more overbearing and unbarable when not done with sense behind it.

My attachment to it is a bit different, personally predictability of any kind when it comes to life in general switches me off, especially when it comes to this kind of beat music. When I can see the end product before I get there my mind quits chasing the sound and experiencing the music. To me it feels like that swing the beat has gives the over-all rhythm an almost pendulum like feel. It's like chasing the feeling a chord creates, more so than what each individual note gives you.

Anyway, more 2-step beats. This one's especially straight on, syncopated though.
http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/71572/STRANGERSONG/Wola%204.mp3

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

ManoliIsFat posted:

The "ha"s are way classy, I like it. The sounds of all your drums are pretty on point.

Yeah I agree with this. It's a really well put together piece but it kinda fizzles out just when it's starting to really get good with those cool stabs and such.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've heard people using terms like "gated reverb vocals" and "gated snares" a lot in the this thread lately. Can someone explain what this means or point me to a good example of either?

edit: Nevermind, Google took care of that one.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

IanTheM posted:

Yeah I usually work hard on the concept and leave the arrangement alone at first, since it gets hard to tell what the hell it's gonna feel like when you've just been sitting in front of a loop for the past half hour and when you play through the entire track your entire mind is just focused on how the high hats feel. Think I have a good basis here though, definitely gonna complicate things when it comes to the strings and bass soon.

I won't lie, I consider myself at the forefront of the Goon Shuffled Hi Hat movement. It's hard to explain why some people are so attached to the idea. Some are probably chasing relevancy, thinking that by loving up their beats they can make an average track and suddenly the messed beats will win everyone over. In a sense they're using it like auto-tune and gated snares, except even more overbearing and unbarable when not done with sense behind it.

My attachment to it is a bit different, personally predictability of any kind when it comes to life in general switches me off, especially when it comes to this kind of beat music. When I can see the end product before I get there my mind quits chasing the sound and experiencing the music. To me it feels like that swing the beat has gives the over-all rhythm an almost pendulum like feel. It's like chasing the feeling a chord creates, more so than what each individual note gives you.

Anyway, more 2-step beats. This one's especially straight on, syncopated though.
http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/71572/STRANGERSONG/Wola%204.mp3
dude that new beat is killer

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
I've never tried to make straight up progressive house. This is my attempt at it. I'm trying out some bussing and sidechaining techniques also. The mastering job is my own. It took me 6 hours to make.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

I've never tried to make straight up progressive house. This is my attempt at it. I'm trying out some bussing and sidechaining techniques also. The mastering job is my own. It took me 6 hours to make.

I'd tighten up that kick, right now it kinda feels like the kick meshes into the snare which is meshing into the high hats. I'm not sure how intentional those things are, but it's pretty evident it's a bit of a deadmau5 thing and you gotta listen to how clean and tight his sounds are.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

IanTheM posted:

I'd tighten up that kick, right now it kinda feels like the kick meshes into the snare which is meshing into the high hats. I'm not sure how intentional those things are, but it's pretty evident it's a bit of a deadmau5 thing and you gotta listen to how clean and tight his sounds are.
Got any tips on how to go about doing that?

Atlas Nugged
Jul 30, 2009

"I am, therefore I'll toke."

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Got any tips on how to go about doing that?

Eq'ing and compression to help separate the various percussive instruments (make room for the other sounds by creating valleys where the other instruments peak). Compression should help with the looseness of the kick but I really think that its just a bad sample

Another thing that I think would help this out are some nice thick pads to fill up the spectrum, since the synths are rather empty/weak sounding to me.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Just did a song in an hour or so, and is one of those where I look back and wonder what the christ I was thinking and why I just did that. Not that it's bad, just what the hell. Kinda like when I did a disco remix of never gonna give you up

anyways, the goods:

Atlas Nugged
Jul 30, 2009

"I am, therefore I'll toke."
It's muddy but i'm lazy so :v:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I was in the mood to party like it's 1983. This is only my second song so throw your critiques at me. Also ideally a track like this would have vocals but I can't sing for poo poo. Gonna take vocal lessons once I'm a little more comfortable in the production department but until then just use your imagination (which shouldn't be hard since I know half the people reading this are probably high right now).

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Has anyone got tips for dnb hihat shuffles? Things like Hyzer by Phace & Misanthrop. I've tried a few things like taking snap off and nudging the hits around a bit, rolling a bit of the attack off some of the hits, fiddling with the velocity and combinations of them all but nothing seems to sound good.

I usually just end up hipassing the I'm Gonna Love You Just a Little Bit More Baby break/giving up.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Prize Winner posted:

Has anyone got tips for dnb hihat shuffles? Things like Hyzer by Phace & Misanthrop. I've tried a few things like taking snap off and nudging the hits around a bit, rolling a bit of the attack off some of the hits, fiddling with the velocity and combinations of them all but nothing seems to sound good.

I usually just end up hipassing the I'm Gonna Love You Just a Little Bit More Baby break/giving up.

Remember to employ your swing values, and MIDI velocities carefully through that high hat section. I think it's likely they have some kind of distortion on the hats, or make them out of fm synths too. Not exactly sure what you're achieving with your sound at the moment, though.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
I’m a complete beginner to synths, and I could do with a bucketful of advice if anyone could help me out.

Here’s my situation. I’m interesting in playing synths for a metal band, with bands such as Born of Osiris, Scar Symmetry, Devin Townsend and Fear Factory being my central influences in what I want to achieve with the synths. Trouble is, I’m a little confused in what I require in achieving this, and how to go about playing this sort of thing live. Here’s what I have:

A powerful PC and laptop (Core 2 Duo and Vista).
Cubase and Reason
A Yahama PSR-E403 keyboard
A Yamaha SHS-10 Keytar (Note, I am NOT playing this on stage. This is purely go midi control use here for recording with my laptop when I’m on the go.

Our band also has it’s very own PA system.

Now, what would goons recommend for me to invest in? I want to play live, and I don’t think my keyboard can manage what I want to do. I have yet to connect it up to my laptop to play with the PA system, how would I go about doing this? Do I have to buy a device to let this happen? As the on boards sounds on my keyboard are not what I’m looking for, I want to use Reason for my stuff. Is this generally what is done? Or is there a way of using something like a Korg to put what I’ve programmed in Reason onto it? I’m rather clueless on this front and could do with direction.

Also, would an Axiom be a wise investment, due to the various switches and buttons which I can program? I’m finding it difficult to program with the midi controllers I have, but over this, but I know that I already have the midi controllers and the software to do it. Or would a larger keyboard, such as a Korg be the way to go? Give me ideals here, as I will save up to buy whatever I need. My budget is about £300, which is about $500.

Thanks for the help!

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Cyne posted:

Yeah I agree with this. It's a really well put together piece but it kinda fizzles out just when it's starting to really get good with those cool stabs and such.

Yeah I know what you mean, I worked out a more complete draft today.

http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/71572/STRANGERSONG/All%20Together%20%28Stranger%20Song%20Remix%29%201.mp3

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Mr.Tophat posted:

Here's what I have:

I'm missing two things in this list that are somewhat required:
- an audio interface (e.g. soundcard for music production)
- a (USB) MIDI interface (however, you mention that you use the SHS as controller you probably have something like that).

quote:

Now, what would goons recommend for me to invest in? I want to play live, and I don't think my keyboard can manage what I want to do.

I have yet to connect it up to my laptop to play with the PA system, how would I go about doing this? Do I have to buy a device to let this happen?
That's the audio interface. Your laptop has a line output and a headphone output; tiny plugs close to the motherboard which means a load of interference and noise, and latency (a delay between pressing the key and hearing the sound). ASIO4ALL solves the delay somewhat (though it's a stopgap) but won't solve the better connectors. Basically you hand the sound guy two stereo jack cables that go into your laptop with a little adapter plug, or which go directly in your audio interface of choice.

Just pick an USB or Firewire interface. Seeing your budget, it might be sensible to go the full software route if you're not shy about dragging your laptop with you anyway; you'll be able to use Reason's Combinators with all kinds of layers and splits that'd make most keyboards choke.

As the on boards sounds on my keyboard are not what I'm looking for, I want to use Reason for my stuff. Is this generally what is done? Or is there a way of using something like a Korg to put what I've programmed in Reason onto it? I'm rather clueless on this front and could do with direction.

quote:

Also, would an Axiom be a wise investment, due to the various switches and buttons which I can program?

PSRs are notorious because they lack sliders. However, if you like the PSR enough, you could add a box like a Novation Nocturn which has all the knobs without the keyboard.

quote:

Or would a larger keyboard, such as a Korg be the way to go?
Saying "A Korg" is like saying "A Fender". It's meaningless without the model number :).

There's something to say for just a larger keyboard; no laptop, no audio interface. However, $500 means you'll probably have to go hunt for something secondhand.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--KORX50

the X50 is 699 and has tons of great synths already loaded on it. Could probably find a slightly used one for less. Sometimes my keyboardist can't decide if he wants to use his 3000 dollar yamaha or the 700 dollar korg

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Just in case you guys have trouble sleeping without your gear, here's some synth pillows for you.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
the pillows look like they'd be better suited as a full sized couch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
Can anyone recommend a waveform editing program for OS X that isn't a laggy POS like Audacity?

• Locked thread