Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009
Vineland by Thomas Pynchon.
I'm about 50 pages in and... it's strange. I'll be honest, I had no idea what to expect when I started it, but it definitely was not this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_E_G. ADI. K
Dec 11, 2006

Coconut Pete posted:

Currently I'm halfway into Egil's Saga by Anonymous

Egil is so badass he boarders on psychopathic.

Ghost Boner
Jul 6, 2009
I'm currently up to Chapter 50 of Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut, enjoying it so far. I read his books twice as fast than my usual pace, so I should finish it later tonight.

I bought that earlier in the week along with:

- Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler
- American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
- Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami.

Problem is, I have at least 4 more books that I bought and still haven't read. At least my shelf will look good.:unsmith:

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I'm about to start [b]The Informant[b] by Kurt Eichenwald, which is about the FBI investigation into price fixing by Archer Daniels Midlands.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
Just bought 4 books, and started another.

Just started Gardens of the Moon.

Bought:
Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett
American Gods by neil gaiman
Dead Cat Bounce by sarah graves
Amber and Iron by Margaret Weiss.

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere
I'm up to about page 360 in Les Miserables. Good GOD, people were not kidding about the tangents. I am loving the story, when it happens, but what the hell is this Waterloo crap? I really don't want to skip parts but I feel like I'm going to have to in order to get through this with any love left for the book :(

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009
In a push to read most of the authors in a certain publishing group, I've just picked up The Red Wolf Conspiracy by Robert V.S. Redick, who proudly upholds the tradition of epic fantasies written by dudes with two middle initials.

On the cover, it's about a city-sized ship that is used to transport a tarboy who can speak any language, a girl who is meant to be a treaty bride to the empire's rivals, her valet and some weird wizard who, so far, seems only to be able to turn into a mink and come out of a clock. Also, sea pixies and talking rats for those of you who can't get enough of Brian Jacques.

It's good, so far, and the setting is fairly original, but I'm not sure what's special about it.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Just hit up the used bookstore and got

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers
You Will Know Our Velocity! by Dave Eggers
Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre
Irvine Welsh Omnibus (Trainspotting, The Acid House, Marabou Stork Nightmares) by Irvine Welsh.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I just started All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy. I am about 70 pages of the way in. As someone who resides Knoxville, TN I am embarrassed to say that this is my first novel by McCarthy. I went to the book store to buy Blood Meridian (which I will pick up next) but for some strange reason I came home with this book.

Clunkers
Jun 4, 2009

By all means continue destroying my possessions. I daresay I have too many.
I just started reading Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay nad so far it is very good. A similar book that I just finished was The Book Theif but I didn't really care for that one.

mmmjstone
Sep 22, 2004

titty whiskey
I picked up The Alchemist by Michael Scott, and though it's not the best writing I've ever read (I'm really tired of the twins relationship), I'm reading through the series. I'm presently on The Magician and I have the next book waiting on my kindle.

Edit: The whole series seems somewhere between adult and young adult to me - the twins (main characters) are fifteen and both annoying and overly intelligent for their age - they swing between "oh, no, things are hard, should we trust these people" to "oh, hey, I can blow things up with magic and swing a sword now."

I think what's got me interested in the series is the back story. I will admit that I'm a fan of Urban Fantasy/Horror (yes, this started from the Anita Blake series before she became a big slut). The story revolves around "historical figures" that have become immortal through potions/magic books/race of higher beings. I suppose I like the fact that the story is rooted in myth. The writing might not be the best, but I'm enjoying seeing what random mythological character shows up next.

mmmjstone fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 29, 2009

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Beichan posted:

I'm up to about page 360 in Les Miserables. Good GOD, people were not kidding about the tangents. I am loving the story, when it happens, but what the hell is this Waterloo crap? I really don't want to skip parts but I feel like I'm going to have to in order to get through this with any love left for the book :(

Absolutely do not skip the Waterloo stuff or a couple of the other so-called tangents; it will confuse the hell out of you later on if you do.

Dead Man Saloon
May 28, 2006
Started To The Lighthouse earlier this week. Haven't found the time to really bite into it yet (only on page 35 or so), but I'm loving the characters so far. Hoping it remains interesting, I've heard some good things!

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

nate fisher posted:

I just started All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy. I am about 70 pages of the way in. As someone who resides Knoxville, TN I am embarrassed to say that this is my first novel by McCarthy. I went to the book store to buy Blood Meridian (which I will pick up next) but for some strange reason I came home with this book.

You can't go wrong with McCarthy, although the Border trilogy isn't my favorite. Blood Meridian is fantastic, as are Suttree and Child of God. Hell, just read all of them. McCarthy is one of those writers whose work I look at and say, "I'll never be as good a writer as he is, and I'm at peace with that".

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere

fuzzknot posted:

Absolutely do not skip the Waterloo stuff or a couple of the other so-called tangents; it will confuse the hell out of you later on if you do.

Really? Because all the advice I keep getting is 'oh skip it, it doesn't matter'. I haven't been skipping any yet.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip
I can't explain without giving it away. I thought it was important, though, for later on in the book.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I finished All the Pretty Horses and I enjoyed the hell out of it. Fast read (I only have time to read before going to sleep), and I real enjoyed McCarthy's style. My favorite line from the book is "Sweeter for the larceny of time and flesh, sweeter for the betrayal."

I forgot to mention that I read the week before The Night Gardener by George Pelecanos. I haven't read Pelecanos in quite awhile but it nice coming back to him.

I just started reading, what I hope is a fun book, The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro. I also have waiting on me Crazy for the Storm: A Memoir of Survival . It is a true story about a 11 year old boy who is the only survivor of a small-plane crash. In a Slumdog Millionaire type account he tells of life lessons that his father taught him that he used to keep alive. Sounds like a very interesting read.

BSAKat posted:

You can't go wrong with McCarthy, although the Border trilogy isn't my favorite. Blood Meridian is fantastic, as are Suttree and Child of God. Hell, just read all of them. McCarthy is one of those writers whose work I look at and say, "I'll never be as good a writer as he is, and I'm at peace with that".

I am debating between Suttree or Blood Meridian next. Suttree interest me greatly because of the Knoxville connection.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

nate fisher posted:

I am debating between Suttree or Blood Meridian next. Suttree interest me greatly because of the Knoxville connection.

Well, they're both good but in completely different ways. Suttree is actually very funny, but in a wry and very sad kind of way. Blood Meridian is deeper, more biblical and very, very violent. Very. Not gratuitously so, but it's extremely bloody. It also has Judge Holden, who is one of best characters written in the 20th century.

They're both long reads, though. Hell, Blood Meridian's half in Spanish. If you want a quick McCarthy read, try No Country for Old Men or The Road. The Road is beautiful.

Buck Lodestar
Jul 19, 2007

Chef Bromden posted:

Vineland by Thomas Pynchon.
I'm about 50 pages in and... it's strange. I'll be honest, I had no idea what to expect when I started it, but it definitely was not this.

Is it your first Pynchon? It's definitely a 'minor' work, but if you've never read Pynchon before I think it's a pretty good primer for his particular brand of fiction. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on it when you're finished since it doesn't get talked about around here nearly as much as GR.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.

Buck Lodestar posted:

Is it your first Pynchon? It's definitely a 'minor' work, but if you've never read Pynchon before I think it's a pretty good primer for his particular brand of fiction. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on it when you're finished since it doesn't get talked about around here nearly as much as GR.

This is interesting. I just finished Show Crash which one critic quoted on the cover described as a cross between Vineland and Neuromancer. I could see Neuromancer, of course, but have never read Pynchon. I guess that's another one for the to-read list.

Just started The Killing Joke (no, not that one) described as a "comedy thriller" by Anthony Horowitz. Horowitz writes a lot for UK TV, especially mysteries, and created one of my favorite shows, Foyle's War. When I found out he also writes books, I was keen to read one.

About 100 pages in and liking what I'm reading. I find his tone very reminiscent of Douglas Adams. The plot is maybe a bit Carl Hiaasen meets Tom Holt (not as zany as Hiassen yet, but no supernatural stuff as in Holt either). Our hero, a struggling actor just turned 30, finds himself between jobs and uses the time to engage in a spergy quest to find the origin of a joke he overheard (and was offended by) in a pub. So far so good.

Buck Lodestar
Jul 19, 2007

King Plum the Nth posted:

This is interesting. I just finished Show Crash which one critic quoted on the cover described as a cross between Vineland and Neuromancer. I could see Neuromancer, of course, but have never read Pynchon. I guess that's another one for the to-read list.

I haven't read Snow Crash so I can't comment specifically on that comparison; as for the Pynchon primer comment, Vineland is relatively short and yet very much Pynchon. It's got all the zaniness, the large cast of characters who come and go, the tons of little story threads that are dangling around all over the place, etc. If one gets through Vineland and enjoyed the ride and the tone, then I'd wholeheartedly recommend hitting GR. If one doesn't enjoy Vineland stylistically, then I suspect GR is not going to work out as well. Just my two cents since a lot of folks seem to try GR without quite knowing what they're in for and end up getting bogged down by the sheer size and scope of the novel. Not saying that it should be read first (I read it well after I'd been through GR a few times), just that it gives a good flavor.

Leonard Pine
Apr 20, 2008

Started The Lost City of Z by David Grann yesterday and I'm about halfway through. :iia: You've probably heard about the English explorer Percy Fawcett (wiki) who disappeared in the Amazon in 1925, in search of the city of Z (basically, El Dorado). In the years that have gone by since then all sorts of theories have sprung up about what happened to the guy, the most interesting (and least likely) being that dude really did find Z and just liked it so much he never came back.

This book not only retells Fawcett's life story, but also talks about different expeditions to find out what happened to him and eventually the author's own Amazonian quest. The Fawcett story is lightly fictionalised (Grann doesn't make any stuff up, as far as I know, but makes statements about the people's thoughts and feelings at the time) which makes some of Fawcett's succesful expedtions read like thrillers. I nearly jumped out of my chair at one point, when Fawcett approached a huge anaconda they'd killed to collect a skin sample and the fucker moved.

I haven't straight out enjoyed a book like this in a long while, and I've never read a nonfiction work that was this much like a goddamn rollercoaster.

Astroturf Neckbeard
Jan 10, 2007
straight to video
I finally got around to starting in on my copy of Blood Meridian. I'm only 60 pages in, but man, this book does a good job of making me feel stupid. I don't know half the words on any given page. What's a cárcel? A ramada? A weskit? A vernier sight? I just found these examples by skimming over two random pages, mind you. I've been making guesses based on context about words I don't know, and was way off on the first two. None of these words are important to plot, but it slows down my reading when I have to go back to double-check that I didn't mis-read the word, do a quick mental scan of my vocabulary to make sure I don't know the word, then read the text around the word to make a context-based guess.

I don't remember The Road being this taxing on my vocabulary. Am I remembering incorrectly?

Note: I'm not knocking the book, I love the style of writing and the story so far is really engaging. I just wish my vocabulary was larger.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I just finished The Eye of Night, which I enjoyed much more than I should have. The fantasy world seemed very well-structured, though, and the women were well-developed characters. That alone was enough to put it ahead of most of the genre, sadly enough. It wasn't too massively creative, but it was an enjoyable read.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
I loaded up this past couple of weeks and now I have some prioritizing to do.

BOUGHT

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larson. The second in his published-posthumanously trilogy after Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I wasn't overwhelmed with the first book, but I liked it enough to pick this one up.

Camus: A Romance by Elizabeth Hawes. I heard her interviewed on The Diane Rehm Show and ordered the book immediately. It's part biography of Albert Camus and part memoir of this woman following in his footsteps to try and learn more about him. Considering [u]The Stranger[/b] is one of my favorite books, I'm looking forward to this one.

The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money by John Maynard Keynes. I wanted to go to the source of all the current "deficit spending" debate. I don't know how much I'll actually understand, but I'll look like a smarty-pants while reading it. Preferably with a pipe.

At the used store I got The Great Upheaval about America from 1788-1800, Reading the Man about Robert E. Lee's letters, and How to Read the Bible which is a guide to reading ancient scripture now but supposedly negates alot of it, so much so that Christopher Hitchens even recommended it.

STARTED

Don Quixote by Cervantes. I bought a book about going through all the "classics" and this was the first one on the list of novels. I thought it would be overwhelming, but I'm actually having a blast with it. I stick to 70 pages a day and take brief notes at the end of each chapter (like: CH 27 Don Quixote attacks priests) and at this rate I'll be done with the book by next weekend.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Imperial, the new William T. Vollmann behemoth. Every time he publishes one of these giant things, I tell myself I'm not going to read it, but the prose always winds up hooking me in the bookstore.

In two days it will be Inherent Vice, so I'm just biding time until then.

TheChimney
Jan 31, 2005

mdemone posted:

Imperial, the new William T. Vollmann behemoth. Every time he publishes one of these giant things, I tell myself I'm not going to read it, but the prose always winds up hooking me in the bookstore.

In two days it will be Inherent Vice, so I'm just biding time until then.

I read the NY Times review of that book, and, despite the fact that the review wasn't glowing, I became intrigued. Is there a good starting place for his work? Everything he wrote seems so epic and intimidating.

TheChimney fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 3, 2009

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

TheChimney posted:

I read the NY Times review of that book, and, despite the fact that the review wasn't glowing, I became intrigued. Is there a good starting place for his work? Everything he wrote seems so epic and intimidating.

I'd suggest start off with The Crying of Lot 39, really. Then you can work your way up to something like V.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Astroturf Neckbeard posted:

I finally got around to starting in on my copy of Blood Meridian. I'm only 60 pages in, but man, this book does a good job of making me feel stupid. I don't know half the words on any given page. What's a cárcel? A ramada? A weskit? A vernier sight? I just found these examples by skimming over two random pages, mind you. I've been making guesses based on context about words I don't know, and was way off on the first two. None of these words are important to plot, but it slows down my reading when I have to go back to double-check that I didn't mis-read the word, do a quick mental scan of my vocabulary to make sure I don't know the word, then read the text around the word to make a context-based guess.

I don't remember The Road being this taxing on my vocabulary. Am I remembering incorrectly?

Note: I'm not knocking the book, I love the style of writing and the story so far is really engaging. I just wish my vocabulary was larger.

Just started this one too. I'm on page 200. I remember The Road had some uncommon words, but Blood Meridian is just a lot denser (and based in a real historical setting). Still, I've been breezing through it (after slowly digesting Infinite Jest for months, it feels so good to finish a book in just a couple days). I'm definitely going to reread it so I'm not worried about picking up every little detail. With McCarthy I find its more important to get the overall impression he's trying to create with all his beautiful and vexing imagery.

I'm really looking forward to Inherent Vice, and some reviews suggest its his most accessible work, so it could very well be a good starting point for Pynchon.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I'm about 100 pages into Contact. It's pretty good so far, lots of nerd stuff about radio astronomy which is pretty cool. I don't really remember the movie very well, aside from that it wasn't that great.

I've found it pretty funny that the main character is basically the female version of Carl Sagan. Her internal thoughts sound like something out of a Cosmos episode. Nothing bad about that of course.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

In addition to 10 Days that Shook the World, which I mentioned earlier, I've been listening to the audiobook version of Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt. It's a memoir of the author's childhood in Ireland (mostly in Limerick thus far) full of hardship, loss and the wonder, joy and sadness of life, all told in the author's lyrical and powerful way. I'm enjoying it immensely. Also, the audiobook version, read by the author, has much to offer: his wonderful brogue and gentle, sad humor really take the edge off of what might otherwise be a somewhat bitter narrative, but in no way diminish it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

thegloaming posted:

I'm really looking forward to Inherent Vice, and some reviews suggest its his most accessible work, so it could very well be a good starting point for Pynchon.

Is this true? I tried to read Gravity's Rainbow back in the 90's. I remember enjoying maybe the first 1/3 of the book, but I got lost somewhere in the middle and put it down. I am not sure if it was the book or what was going on in my life at that time. If Inherent Vice is more accessible I may pick it up. I heard it was a noir type book (?), but when I hear noir I think of the fun James Ellroy or Jim Thompson which I guess are more hardboiled writers.

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

Static Rook posted:

Camus: A Romance by Elizabeth Hawes. I heard her interviewed on The Diane Rehm Show and ordered the book immediately. It's part biography of Albert Camus and part memoir of this woman following in his footsteps to try and learn more about him. Considering [u]The Stranger[/b] is one of my favorite books, I'm looking forward to this one.

I'd love to read something like this, let us know what you thought of it in the Finished thread.

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.

Without Pants posted:

I'd love to read something like this, let us know what you thought of it in the Finished thread.
Sounds like you might be interested in Janet Malcolm as well - she writes a similar sort of pseudo-biographies with a chatty but deceptively sharp-witted authorial presence.

I'm repeating myself on this forum but The Silent Woman is incredible, though its value doesn't lie in its being an ideal biography by any means. Instead it's a brilliant study of the bitter struggle the Plath biographers had in trying to get round the walls the Plath estate threw up, written from her own experiences with both camps, and framed by the events of Plath's life.

It is fantastic.

I don't even care about Plath and I'm still half-convinced people should be herded into camps and forced to read it.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.
them by Joyce Carol Oates. It's a multigenerational story largely dealing with race relations in Detroit in the 1960s.

According to Oates's preface, it's a fictionalized retelling of the life story of one of her students. It's also one of Oates's earlier works which is slightly apparent to readers familiar with her later works; her own personal style is not yet developed; the prose is more detached.

That said, it's tremendously engaging and Oates's ability to capture a character and present it to a reader as a living, breathing entity is unsurpassed.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Escape from Hell. Sequel to a book I loved. I'm warning you, though: don't read this one. loving terrible. Spends the first half of the book rehashing the last book, then forgets where the last book was chronologically.

Dioscuri
Feb 6, 2006
Two birds with one stone.
Just started Pygmy, Snow Crash is next. I read the first few pages of either and the former's writing style was funny, so I decided to go with it, only thing I know about the latter is that it's considered to have launched a genre.

Izzy Mandelbaum
Dec 5, 2006

It's go time
I'm about half way through The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy and holy gently caress does he cram a lot of details into his plots. I can't keep up with all the characters.

I just ordered Inherent Vice and it looks like it should be a good read. Sounds like if Fear and Loathing was written by Ellroy.

Seeing Eye Duck
Mar 30, 2008

"I may not be able to see all the bullshit going on in here! But he can!"

Dioscuri posted:

Just started Pygmy, Snow Crash is next. I read the first few pages of either and the former's writing style was funny, so I decided to go with it, only thing I know about the latter is that it's considered to have launched a genre.

Pygmy Is a great book. I hope you enjoy it.

I just bought:

Your Next-Door Neighbor is a Dragon by Zack Parsons

The Social Contract and Discourse on the Origin of Inequality By Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Slaughter House Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Just bought:

The Waves by Virginia Woolf

• Locked thread