Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
This is all great stuff. I still am not sure how the Matrix works, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
What are you interested in learning about? A lot of the mechanics to the Matrix system are extremely similar to their magic equivalent, but there are certainly unique scenarios. We could go over specific stuff if you like.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Well, specifically I'm having trouble understanding how Matrix combat works. Is it merely Attack program vs, er, Firewall(?), back and forth until one part is fried or dumps out? Then, whether one uses hot sim or specific black programs determines if it's real damage or integrity damage, yes?

Also, I'm having trouble as a gamemaster knowing when to use specific programs. It would seem that most of the things one would like to do as a hacker (unlock a safe, crack a drone, pick some specific data out of a dbase etc.) is covered by the Exploit program, is this correctly guessed?

Also, if anyone wants to do some PbP Shadowrun 4E here on SA, let me know. It'd be awesome as a learning experience.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Tias posted:

Well, specifically I'm having trouble understanding how Matrix combat works. Is it merely Attack program vs, er, Firewall(?), back and forth until one part is fried or dumps out?
I don't have the book in front of me to verify, but I believe it should be Cybercombat plus the program used versus Response and Firewall. The damage is based on the rating of the program and is resisted (for a player) by System and their Armor program. Blackhammer and other brain-frying attacks are resisted by Willpower and any applicable biofilters instead.

If you have an original book (like me) there's an error in print which makes this confusing because it lists a few things incorrectly (fixed in errata). If you just have an icon and an IC slugging it out it's just a back and forth, though a decent hacker hopefully will either take the countermeasure out quickly or know when to cut and run.

Tias posted:

Then, whether one uses hot sim or specific black programs determines if it's real damage or integrity damage, yes?
Yeah.

Tias posted:

Also, I'm having trouble as a gamemaster knowing when to use specific programs. It would seem that most of the things one would like to do as a hacker (unlock a safe, crack a drone, pick some specific data out of a dbase etc.) is covered by the Exploit program, is this correctly guessed?
Some things are pretty obvious but occasionally you may find things under the various skills. Picking out specific data from a database would probable fall under Data Search, for instance. Occasionally my hacker characters will ask to do something that doesn't fall under anything covered in the book. If this is the case, depending on whether its a general Matrix action or a hacking Matrix action I'll usually ask for Computer or Hacking plus whatever active or knowledge skill might apply.

I did a little searching and there's a decent printout with the quick-rules for standard Matrix actions made by someone on the Dumpshock forums. I downloaded a copy and hosted it here.

Tias posted:

Also, if anyone wants to do some PbP Shadowrun 4E here on SA, let me know. It'd be awesome as a learning experience.
I would probably be down for this. Would you be interested in running it or playing it? Either way, I should hopefully have the time to play now that my real-life is less busy.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 3, 2009

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Tias posted:

I could definitely go for this one.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Both playing or running the game is fine with me, but potential players must be understanding of the fact that I will make a gently caress-ton of errors if I run it.

Also, thanks for the file Pierre, you're the man <3

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I would be interested in a shadowrun game.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation
Tias, I'm a newb, too, so I'll likely make mistakes myself.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Tias posted:

Well, specifically I'm having trouble understanding how Matrix combat works.
Print this out and keep it next to you while you GM. Doesn't hurt to give a second copy to the hacker in the group. Matrix combat cheat sheet (pdf)

And here's all the other cheat sheets from the same guy: http://pavao.org/shadowrun/cheatsheets/

And yes, Tias, Exploit will be used quite often, but not always.

Here's the procedure for an example hack:
1. EWar + Scan to locate the network you're looking to hack through wireless.
2. Hack + Exploit to break in.
3. Stealth (passive) to avoid being detected.
4. Computer + Analyze (aka Matrix Perception) to check out your surroundings.
5. Data Search + Browse to find the paydata in their systems.
6. EWar + Decrypt to find out what the file says.
7. Hack + Edit to change what the file says.
8. EWar + Encrypt to put it back the way it was so no one will suspect a thing.
9. Logout.

Or here's another:
1. EWar + Scan to detect the link between the security node and some drones.
2. EWar + Sniffer to tap into the drone's video feed back to the security node.
3. Hack + Spoof (or maybe even Spoof + Edit) to alter the video feed so it shows an empty hallway instead of a team of shadowrunners.
4. Hack + Spoof again to convince the drone that you're sending it legitimate commands and tell it to go back to maintenance for a recharge.
5. Hack + Spoof again to send a false "low-battery" warning back to the security node, and make it look like it came from the drone.

In all of that, Exploit was only used once, though possibly for multiple rolls because breaking into a node is an Extended Test.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Thanks for these. I'm going to have to hand a few of these out at my games.

Also, regarding a PbP Shadowrun game--I'd be down for either running or playing, if people want to figure out which they want to do. Tias, if you're up for GMing I'd be happy to bring along a few runner ideas I've had or perhaps a couple useful characters I've had in a past based upon the other team composition.

Edit: If anyone wants to discuss particular details or SR questions, feel free to IM me over AIM using my username.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 3, 2009

Tias
May 25, 2008

I'm awed at the amount of interest, but it feels incredibly intimidating to GM with a system with so many rules - I've never been a rules-oriented person, preferring the storytelling system, but I do have a couple scenarios written up I would be willing to run if people can bear with a lot of fuckups.

If people are not (and that is totally understandable), I should like PierretheMime to GM, as he really seems like he has his poo poo together.

McGravin>> That was awesome, thanks!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I go out for the weekend and this thread explodes with awesomeness. If you could take someone who has never played by post before I'd give it a whirl. I wish to refine a character I made for a home game and try him elsewhere.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Tias posted:

I'm awed at the amount of interest, but it feels incredibly intimidating to GM with a system with so many rules - I've never been a rules-oriented person, preferring the storytelling system, but I do have a couple scenarios written up I would be willing to run if people can bear with a lot of fuckups.
The good thing about PbP is that you have all the time in the world to look up the rules and how to resolve things.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Aye. And I am still up for gamemastering, if you are okay with it. I will warn all-comers that it will be a pretty strange scenario and setting, however.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Tias posted:

Aye. And I am still up for gamemastering, if you are okay with it. I will warn all-comers that it will be a pretty strange scenario and setting, however.

I will totally be up for playing in this (and helping if you have any questions). Which would you prefer: a wheelman/gunner, face/skillsman or a utility magician? I'll probably make all three anyhow, but I'm just curious.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

I'll gladly play, but I've played so much Shadowrun that if the game fills up, I don't mind letting someone else take my spot.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pierre>> I'm going low-drama/low-tech, so the group will mainly need "generic" street rogues who can handle guns, electronics, cars and facework. Riggers, technomancers, mages and the like are optional and definitely not necessary, but will provide an extra edge if you have them.

McG>> Well, usually people drop off, so it's cool that you're up for it.

The game will start in two weeks, and I have a mind to set it in either Germany or Denmark. It is definitely allowable to play a foreign 'Runner if you are all from the states or a far part of Europe or Asia.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I know poo poo all about anywhere but Seattle. So I guess I'll be a foreigner. Bonus points because I can easily work it in to my idea.

Tias
May 25, 2008

The General posted:

I know poo poo all about anywhere but Seattle. So I guess I'll be a foreigner. Bonus points because I can easily work it in to my idea.

Cool that :) Just keep in mind that your character will either be a persecuted illegal (if SINless), or registered with either Mærsk Incorporated Assets or Saeder-Krupp (if a SINer, and this can both open some doors or close a lot of others).

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation
I think I'm gonna need to get with someone to help me make a character. Part of me wants to do a wheelman/smuggler concept for the hell of it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I'd like to try a troll.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

lighttigersoul posted:

I think I'm gonna need to get with someone to help me make a character. Part of me wants to do a wheelman/smuggler concept for the hell of it.

I help you! I'll build you a sexy car, and suggest skills and other odds and ends. I love building custom cars, guns and lifestyles. So much fun in this game.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Yeah, sure, we'll help you out. The 4th ed Anniversary edition has a nicely comprehensive character creation section if you have it or can borrow it.

All character metatypes and 'classes' are in principle permitted, but I'd like it to be a n00bfest, and am thinking of capping you at 360 BP.

Tias fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Aug 4, 2009

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
I have been GM’ing Shadowrun for years. First with early 3rd edition and now I have done a bit of play testing for Catalysts recent books. I can’t say too much due to my NDA but will help out if you have any questions as best as I can.

Shadowrun has always been a fun and vibrant world. Part of this is stemmed from how it is written. When a background book is made freelances submit their ideas and briefs for chapters. This is how you get interest books like the threats and threats 2 books. Each chapter is written by a different person and the ideas flow remarkably well.

Here is a write up on the first run I always do for new players. It covers the setting and makes it familiar for new players without bombarding them with lore. It can be scaled well and focuses on player interactions with certain key NPC’s. Its important that the GM knows each NPC’s motivation, this helps to judge how the NPC will react when the players do something the GM does not expect. They will always do unexpected things, that is half the fun in GM’ing such an open RP game.
If you like these I will post more as I run my weekly game. I generally leave stats out as I find that you need to tailor the risk level to the party so the players have fun.

Murder on the dance floor?:
The Job: Players are contacted by one of the players contacts: Can be a trusted Fixer or other likely contact. Tony de Star a local club owner wants to hire them as extra security.

The Meet: Players meet at Tony’s club “The Eclipse” Use an example of a dance club. It has a central bar area in the middle of the room with a large speaker and light system above it. Have them meeting when they are cleaning up or preparing for a night a head. Use this to set the stage, introduce H. Case the security guy, Samantha Surma the bar chick and Tony the troll who owns the place and is the Johnson for the run. Make sure you remember to draw a map. Focus on what seems right. Tony needs a secure office and make sure there is a back emergency door and a male and female bathroom. Keep the meet simple, Tony is having a VIP into the club this weekend and he wants nothing bad to happen. As a GM decide what is a fair reward for the players and let them roll dice for the negotiation. Give the players a few days to prepare for the weekend so they can plan on how “security” should be.

Interactions:
H Case currently runs physical security, he doesn’t like the players as its his job for security. Let the players decide if they like him or not.
Samantha Surma has info on what goes on. Let slip that the DJ “R-Dog” is what people makes the club great.
Tony is a likeable character, use him to show the players that Trolls don’t have to be the heavy weapon guys.

Legwork:
-The Eclipse has a standard matrix security package. Off the shelf at rating 2 for most things, this is not good and the decker can provide matrix security.
-Research on the VIP reveals that its an Elven chick from Los Angles. She is a huge star on the P2.0 (shadowrun facebook/youtube) <Corporate enclaves has more info but is not required> Will be doing a tour of 2 clubs in Seattle (or whatever city you are in) this weekend.
-R-Dog is the key to the club success but neither he nor Tony know it. The key is describing how R-Dog does his DJ’ing. Imagine if everyone’s comlink is also their MP3 player (super Iphone) and when they enter the club R-Dog can sample everyone’s playlist. He then mixes it into his dance beats. People like the club because it always plays music they like, its because it literally is a mix of everyone’s favourite music without them realizing it.
Before the visit:
Let the players go wild on the security they should pick up on the back door and the other risks in the club.
Most of what happens is the interactions between the runners and the opposition. This is not something which can be planned so just go with the flow. Make sure all the players have a part in the security.

Behind the scenes and what is actually going on:
In Los Angles the Elven chick Janet Turtleleaf whose life is managed by her father and executive from Horizon an entertainment/media company. His career is promoting his daughter for profit on the P2.0 network (shadowrun facebook/youtube). She is currently going to tour Seattle to check out the clubs and has had the hype building for weeks.
He has hired some shadowrunners in Seattle to make the visit more interesting for ratings. A kidnapping and a rescue from horizon security is what is planned for the ratings hike.

The Runners hired are an interesting bunch and should be found out through the course of the adventure, they are:

Maxamillian: A cybered up Human. Give him enough cyberware where a mage asensing him should pick him out in a crowd. A basic cyberware scanner will also pick him up. He should be caught by the players at the door before he enters the club. Have him kick up a fuss and see what the players do to stop a scene. Has a thing for Tammy and try to get the job done as best he can to show off.

Zorg!: Slightly mad Ork magician. Have him act odd if they find Maxamillian so the players pick up that something is wrong. He is a big threat if he can get into the club. He will go into the bathroom and call forth a spirit to wreak havoc.

Tammy: Is the real threat in this run. Female Elf who does not stand out at all. Has good infiltration and will be the hardest to spot. I recommend that the players solve the Tammy problem by questioning Zorg or Maxamillian. She will try to use a contact drug to knock out Janet and sneak her out the back exit.

Conclusion: with any luck the players will find all the opposition and feel pretty good that their security work caught the bad guys. Read up on the section regarding security in the main book and how the social skills work. There shouldn’t be any shooting at all and will hopefully give the players the idea that combat does not always have to be a part of “winning the shadowrun”
If you want to add a bit more complications throw in a drug dealer dealing in BTL’s (Better than life chips) or have Janet Turtleleaf hit on a player to see if they can embarrass themselves. Play Janet like a Paris Hilton and give her a cybernetic dog in her purse to add even more flavour to the setting.

Did you find this useful? Any questions just ask away.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

That's a pretty boss run.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Game thread is up: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3181647 - Get your chromed-up asses in there and post some characters!

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
My friend showed up to yesterday's game session with this absolutely awesome 4th Ed. character creator spreadsheet. Seriously, someone spent waaaay too much time on this and I'll be damned if I'm not going to take advantage of their labors.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So just so I have this straight - COMBAT:

Runner (:clint:)
Bad Guy (:orks:)

:clint: I shoot at him with my handgun (rolls AGIL+Pistols) - 3 hits!
:orks: I roll REACTION - 1 hit!
:clint: I deal 6P (4P for the gun + 2 net hits)
:orks: I roll BODY + Armor/Ballistic. 3 hits!
:orks: I take 3P damage, and a -1 dice pool to all rolls from here out because of the condition track.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

tendrilsfor20 posted:

So just so I have this straight - COMBAT:

Runner (:clint:)
Bad Guy (:orks:)

:clint: I shoot at him with my handgun (rolls AGIL+Pistols) - 3 hits!
:orks: I roll REACTION - 1 hit!
:clint: I deal 6P (4P for the gun + 2 net hits)
:orks: I roll BODY + Armor/Ballistic. 3 hits!
:orks: I take 3P damage, and a -1 dice pool to all rolls from here out because of the condition track.

That, sir, is how you shoot an ork.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

PierreTheMime posted:

That, sir, is how you shoot an ork.
Do you ever require more than one hit to succeed? Like, trying to hit a guy behind cover takes 2 hits? Or is it always 'subtract from the dice pool to increase difficulty'?

Also, the wound penalties - do those stack (so if I have 3P and 3S on me, do I take -2 to everything)? or just use the worse one?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

tendrilsfor20 posted:

Do you ever require more than one hit to succeed? Like, trying to hit a guy behind cover takes 2 hits? Or is it always 'subtract from the dice pool to increase difficulty'?

Also, the wound penalties - do those stack (so if I have 3P and 3S on me, do I take -2 to everything)? or just use the worse one?

No, the difficulty of such an action can reduce the number of dice the player is rolling. Only making one success, however, means that the guy behind the cover can pretty easily make a check to avoid the attack using their Reaction (provided they know its coming).

Wound modifiers stack. My friends and I call 9P and 9S the "sweet spot."

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

tendrilsfor20 posted:

They stack, yes. It's hilarious watching the troll, at death's door, trying to fend off his attackers with a -7 penalty to all rolls.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

PierreTheMime posted:

No, the difficulty of such an action can reduce the number of dice the player is rolling. Only making one success, however, means that the guy behind the cover can pretty easily make a check to avoid the attack using their Reaction (provided they know its coming).
Which brings me to awareness. Say one of the runners is a sniper on a building roof two blocks away when fighting spills out into the street. Would you rule his first shot gets a "No REAC roll" bonus because he's completely not in the fight?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

tendrilsfor20 posted:

Which brings me to awareness. Say one of the runners is a sniper on a building roof two blocks away when fighting spills out into the street. Would you rule his first shot gets a "No REAC roll" bonus because he's completely not in the fight?

Unless there is a reason otherwise, like that the target is aware due to magical or technological security or that they have a Detect Enemies spell sustained at a sufficient Force to extend to the range of the sniper.

Otherwise, yeah. Snipers get a good first shot. Of course, the runners are subject to the same sniping schnannigans if this starts getting too out of hand.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
The real trick is to not let the sniper shot get out of hand. A run should be about setting up the sniper shot not the shot itself.
Have a read through page 155 of the rule book (non-20th). It contains the rules for surprise. A character with a good perception and a high initiative can see and react to a sniper shot. But in general the player or NPC will be rolling up a new character after the first if not the second shot (simple action to fire).

In the combat example above don't forget the runners best friend, the smartlink. Bonus 2 dice, thank you very much.

LintMan's SR tip of the day: When designing and upgrading characters remember that specializing is one of the best Karma/build point per bonus dice things you can spend.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

LintMan posted:

LintMan's SR tip of the day: When designing and upgrading characters remember that specializing is one of the best Karma/build point per bonus dice things you can spend.

I just feel so dirty specializing. It just feels so min-maxy to me.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
There is worst things you do rules wise than specialisation.

Example: Ork has the most stat increases for the fewest build points or using Spirits of Man to cast and sustain spells for you because your too cheap to buy a sustaining foci.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

LintMan posted:

There is worst things you do rules wise than specialisation.

Example: Ork has the most stat increases for the fewest build points or using Spirits of Man to cast and sustain spells for you because your too cheap to buy a sustaining foci.

Oh I know, I spent weeks making some horrible combat beast in 3e. I wish I still had the sheet, or the patience to remake him.

I really shouldn't feel bad about doing it in 4th, I find (especially when making awakened) that I lack the points to do everything I want to do, and specializing easily gives you back 10 points if you're liberal enough with it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Would McGravin please pop by our 4E game thread? If you're still interested, that is.

It's here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3181647

Edit: In the interest of continuity I will let someone else have your spot if you don't sign in before next week.

Tias fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 5, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

In case anyone is interested I've been writing a Shadowrun CYOA for the past few months and it amounts to a full afternoon of reading so far, if not more. I had to stop writing recently but I'll be starting with the writing again sometime tomorrow.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3138063

• Locked thread