Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Yeah, I'm not too surprisd by what they're building. The voice over about the truck more or less explains all the poo poo in the compound, i.e. the producers put all this random crap there, it's up to the participants to make some use of it.

So if they want to build a battle wagon, more power to them. I'm sure the producers had a general outline of all they'd like to see, but how those various things are accomplished are up to the participants. With the battle wagon, I'm left wondering what they'll do for gas.

Also thought it would have been funny that it was a random hobo tent they were stealing from. Also "We raped their tent" or whatever that one guy said was a bit of unintended comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

leppo posted:

Sea Star with Capt. Larry? Its the chase boat that they use to get shots of all the other boats.

Ya it was mentioned on the episode they aired monday night about the filming of this season. Wasnt the Captain of the chase boat the captain of one of the original boats in the first season? He looked really familiar.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MrDingleDangle posted:

Deadliest Catch
Why did they have a camera on some random boat that we never saw before? When that one boat almost flipped they had a camera on some random boat, which was strange

Maybe they throw cash at other boats to let them put a fixed camera on or something.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

DurosKlav posted:

Ya it was mentioned on the episode they aired monday night about the filming of this season. Wasnt the Captain of the chase boat the captain of one of the original boats in the first season? He looked really familiar.

Yeah I'm pretty sure he was

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

DurosKlav posted:

Yes, he's also been on After the Catch multiple times and every one of the "Behind the Scenes" episodes.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DurosKlav posted:

He was. And Time Bandit was the chase boat in season 1.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

DurosKlav posted:

The Sea Star was the boat with the older crew and the captain modified the crab table and hydraulics to make it easier for the older crew in season 1.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Boy, I just watched the behind the scenes episode of Deadliest Catch that aired on Sunday. Really felt for the one greenhorn camera guy on the Cornelia Marie (the part with the anti-sea sickness suppository was hilarious). After seeing how sick he was, I can understand why they were maybe a little light on Cornelia Marie footage this season. They elaborated a little on the Sea Star's role (including a very near miss with the Lisa Marie) too.

It's worth checking out if you can catch a rerun. It's all new footage about this season, but my Tivo had flagged it as a repeat for whatever reason.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

What I don't get is that why, on a show like this, they don't test dudes for being prone to seasickness.

There's no way that Mouse guy had any experience on any sort of water and taking his rear end out onto a placid lake probably would have let them know he shouldn't have the job.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

IRQ posted:

What I don't get is that why, on a show like this, they don't test dudes for being prone to seasickness.

There's no way that Mouse guy had any experience on any sort of water and taking his rear end out onto a placid lake probably would have let them know he shouldn't have the job.

I think the Bering Sea is a whole different animal when it comes to seasickness. Mike Rowe has done a number of jobs on boats, but he was REALLY sick when he did a cod fishing boat in the Bering Sea.

It's probably like getting punched in the face by a regular guy, versus getting punched in the face by a heavyweight boxer.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

IRQ posted:

I can't imagine that there is a way to test someone at Bering Sea winter conditions for a week straight without actually putting them in the Bering Sea.

Imagine Adam Savage on a crab boat. Dude would be puking WORSE than that camera man.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
Come on, people! It's Shark Week! :woop:

Anyone else watching Blood in the Water?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Best week of the year.
Blood in the Water is very good so far, a couple cinematic liberties taken but otherwise extremely accurate about the 1916 events. The inclusion of Drs. Nichols and Lucas as cynical foils to the goings-on is a nice idea too, even if it's a little anachronistic. Shark Week is awesome. :coolfish:

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Hazo posted:

Best week of the year.
Blood in the Water is very good so far, a couple cinematic liberties taken but otherwise extremely accurate about the 1916 events. The inclusion of Drs. Nichols and Lucas as cynical foils to the goings-on is a nice idea too, even if it's a little anachronistic. Shark Week is awesome. :coolfish:
Is there a good book about this I can check out?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

UncleMonkey posted:

Is there a good book about this I can check out?
Haha, it's funny you ask; I just now got it off my shelf so I could compare it to the show while I watched. It's called Shark Attacks by Thomas B. Allen (same guy who wrote The Shark Almanac and Shadows in the Water, both of which are also excellent books). The book is basically about our perception of the "New Shark" as an entity that humans are threatened by, and the first couple of chapters are a pretty good discussion of the New Jersey attacks and how they contributed to our modern fear of sharks.

According to Amazon there are a couple of other books devoted exclusively to the 1916 attacks but I haven't read them. If you end up checking those out, let me know how they are.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Hazo posted:

Haha, it's funny you ask; I just now got it off my shelf so I could compare it to the show while I watched. It's called Shark Attacks by Thomas B. Allen (same guy who wrote The Shark Almanac and Shadows in the Water, both of which are also excellent books). The book is basically about our perception of the "New Shark" as an entity that humans are threatened by, and the first couple of chapters are a pretty good discussion of the New Jersey attacks and how they contributed to our modern fear of sharks.

According to Amazon there are a couple of other books devoted exclusively to the 1916 attacks but I haven't read them. If you end up checking those out, let me know how they are.
Awesome, thanks!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

UncleMonkey posted:

Come on, people! It's Shark Week! :woop:

Anyone else watching Blood in the Water?

Is there going to be a new Mythbusters or something?

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

IRQ posted:

Is there going to be a new Mythbusters or something?
Doesn't look like it. Seems like they're just repeating the Jaws shows.
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-schedules/series.html?paid=1.14144.30494.3913.2

:(

e: But according to the preview they just showed, there's a new special with Les Stroud tomorrow. So that's really cool.

UncleMonkey fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 3, 2009

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I have to say, beating the everliving poo poo out of an eight foot white shark with a broken oar is pretty loving metal. :black101:

UncleMonkey posted:

Doesn't look like it. Seems like they're just repeating the Jaws shows.
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-schedules/series.html?paid=1.14144.30494.3913.2

:(

e: But according to the preview they just showed, there's a new special with Les Stroud tomorrow. So that's really cool.
Here's the (complete?) schedule for the week:
http://dsc.discovery.com/sharks/programs/2009-program-schedule.html

Can't wait for Les Stroud's special, nothing else really jumps out at me. The fact that they're doing a special on the ":downs:Summer of the Shark" is pretty sad though.

edit: I guess there's not enough interest for a dedicated Shark Week thread?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I thought the 1916 special was good. Those striped bathing suits are pretty cool.

Normally, a shark wouldn't go up a creek into freshwater. But in 1916...

Trident
Jun 18, 2004
We cook your meals, we drive your ambulances. We connect your calls, we guard you while you sleep. Do not... fuck with us.
Can't wait to see how Les improves on his chumsicles from last year.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Hazo posted:

I have to say, beating the everliving poo poo out of an eight foot white shark with a broken oar is pretty loving metal. :black101:
Here's the (complete?) schedule for the week:
http://dsc.discovery.com/sharks/programs/2009-program-schedule.html

Can't wait for Les Stroud's special, nothing else really jumps out at me. The fact that they're doing a special on the ":downs:Summer of the Shark" is pretty sad though.

edit: I guess there's not enough interest for a dedicated Shark Week thread?

Yeah I haven't been excited about Shark Week in a while, but I'll definitely watch Stroud's special.

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"

Luigi Thirty posted:

I thought the 1916 special was good. Those striped bathing suits are pretty cool.

Normally, a shark wouldn't go up a creek into freshwater. But in 1916...

I blame the turn of the century bathing suits for the deadly shark attacks. Hard to swim away from a shark when you're wearing a bathing suit made out of wool. :(

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Mucktron posted:

I blame the turn of the century bathing suits for the deadly shark attacks. Hard to swim away from a shark when you're wearing a bathing suit made out of wool. :(

Little known fact: Sharks are also attracted by the scent of lanolin.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The Colony

So why are they building a truck to leave? Did they all sit down and watch The Road Warrior before they went in on this or what? Leave where? Back to real life and out of a TV show? How awesome would that be, 10 days into a 70 day show, they bust through some chain link fence and into a congested rush hour traffic with everyone wondering what the gently caress.

Also, the hobo scene. I kind of hoped that those were real hobos not in on the show and are now half dead corpses because Discovery Channel stole their food and raped their tent.

edit: goats

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Almost time for Les Stroud!

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Trident posted:

Can't wait to see how Les improves on his chumsicles from last year.
Well, I think we just got your answer: A human-sized chumsicle. :c00l:

e: that bull shark dive was pretty awesome, but are the fake dubbed voice-overs getting kind of annoying to anyone else?

Hazo fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 4, 2009

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Ahaha I knew as soon as they had the random shot of that stupid albatross floating around that that bird was hosed.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Holy gently caress.

Navy SEALs: Officially tougher than sharks. :rock:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

It's still Shark Week, people. :colbert:

Tonight is the special on the summer of 2001.

I'm really interested to see the direction in which they take this-- a series of graphic shark attack shock stories (ugh), a horror story of a bloody summer of feasting sharks attempting to take over humanity (even worse ugh), or an embrassing examble of dishonest and evil sensationalistic journalism during a statistically insignificant period of shark encounters (...meh, but still slightly more accurate than the other two options).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

gently caress sharks, I miss the crabs. :(

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

IRQ posted:

gently caress sharks, I miss the crabs. :(

Imagine working on a shark boat.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Fire Storm posted:

Imagine working on a shark boat.

Ain't like chasin' bluegills or tommycods, that's for sure

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

IRQ posted:

Also, remember, there's an absolutely AWFUL smell on crab boats. Dead beat, dead fish, people haven't showered in days....coupled with the ocean.

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

Summer of the Shark will never be as good as Blood in the Water where in 1916 all people knew about sharks was that they lived in the water and shouldn't be given the vote :colbert:

I am liking this Tiger Shark special about the weird South American man who apparently escaped from Charles Xaiver's school for the gifted to use his weird genetic mutation to swim with the tiger sharks.

It's like a Lisa Frank trapper keeper as drawn by John Singleton Copley.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Anyone else see the previews for that swordfish show (Swords or some such thing) and think it looks like a watered down Deadliest Catch?

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

I like the tag line "They'll put MORE then their life on the line!" like if they mess up, the swordfish will personally rape them and kill their whole family.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

spixxor posted:

Anyone else see the previews for that swordfish show (Swords or some such thing) and think it looks like a watered down Deadliest Catch?

It looks almost as bad when they tried to do a lobster fishing show. It was totally lol. The boats had NO rear structure at all because the gulf of mexico is that loving placid. I think it lasted 1 or 2 seasons tops because it was very, very boring.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

IRQ posted:

It looks almost as bad when they tried to do a lobster fishing show. It was totally lol. The boats had NO rear structure at all because the gulf of mexico is that loving placid. I think it lasted 1 or 2 seasons tops because it was very, very boring.

Yeah the only danger was from getting your feet tangled up in the lines of like 10 tiny lobster cages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Double bump postin' because apparently Billy Mays did cocaine. Is anyone actually surprised?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/08/07/florida.mays.cocaine/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

• Locked thread