Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

MjolnirMan posted:

Yeah, as has been demonstrated by a few people, 7 can be made to look almost identical cosmetically to Vista, and most of the underlying software is changed in only a positive direction (including, thank god, the HDD footprint).

But perhaps Nillerz is an EXTREMELY die-hard Sidebar fan? Honestly, I'd quite like the feature back too, if just for docking and using "pages" of gadgets to scroll through using the arrows. But it is by no means a deal-breaker.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/12/30/workaround-to-run-windows-vista-bar-style-sidebar-in-windows-7/

Have this running on my laptop.
Only glitch with it when you mouseover the desktop button in 7 you don't see them, but if you're like me and have it permannetly welded to the right of the screen anyway it won't make a blind bit of difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Another problem. I cant get stereo mix to come up as a recording option, I'm familiar with the old trick in Vista, going into recording devices and selecting show disabled devices, but stereo mix still dont show up. Any ideas?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Kynetx posted:

I miss my quick-launch bar. I know I can "pin" poo poo, but the QL was better IMO.

As has been discussed recently, you can easily use the quicklaunch bar on Win7...

From this post forward.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 3, 2009

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Flex Mentallo posted:

It's still there with show desktop icon and all. Just right click on the taskbar and go toolbars->new toolbar and point at
%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

is shorter and easier to remember.

:smugdog:

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.

codo27 posted:

Another problem. I cant get stereo mix to come up as a recording option, I'm familiar with the old trick in Vista, going into recording devices and selecting show disabled devices, but stereo mix still dont show up. Any ideas?

I had to install the drivers from realtek instead of using the built in windows one, Microsoft disabled stereo mix to plug the analog hole or something. Once i did that i was able to record with audacity again

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Here's a tip for people, since Logitech don't have Win7 drivers yet and some people are having difficulty getting SetPoint to install, the installer bombs out half way through with no error message or anything.

Use 7-zip to extract SetPoint472_x64.exe into a folder, then edit setup.ini and comment out the line "Conditions=OS_Future,OSCheck_xp_thru_70,OS_Bitness,BrowserCheck_IE5,SetPointVersionCheck,RebootChecking"

You can then run setup.exe and SetPoint will install just fine and work without problems.

also, all the people linking to articles on that mydigitallife site, I'd probably remove the links as that site hosts :filez: with a link to such at the bottom of pretty much every article on there.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Retrograde posted:

I had to install the drivers from realtek instead of using the built in windows one, Microsoft disabled stereo mix to plug the analog hole or something. Once i did that i was able to record with audacity again

Yes, I got the Realtek drivers on the go and now it works fine. For some reason MediaMonkey decided not to work though, but I restarted it and now its fine, so nothing needs to be incinerated.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Xenomorph posted:

What the gently caress is the point of the Win95 style Start Menu?

If someone wanted to make an old-style Start Menu, then I'd think the XP one is the one they would want to copy. The XP style had the old style of displaying the "All Programs" menus, and had quick access to things like Computer (including its right-click menu).

The old Win9x style? What does it offer? I HATE trying to work on a system and it being set to the Win9x style. I'm so use to clicking Start, then right-clicking Computer to get to features like Computer Management.

It seems like some people like having "Show Desktop" hidden (or even deleted), have a dozen apps open, and the Win9x Start Menu enabled. I have to right-click the Taskbar and "show desktop", then hunt for their "My Computer" icon among the 800 desktop icons they have, or I have to go to Start-> Control Panel or something. Or I have to hit Start -> Run and type in something to open the management console or computer management.
Because that is SO MUCH easier than just clicking "Start" and having "Computer" right there. RIGHT?

Heh, you're an IT-tech and you go to the start menu and right-click Computer with your mouse? Try pressing Win+Pause, smartypants. Or Win+M to minimize all windows, Shift+Win+M to undo the minimize, or Win+D to toggle show desktop.

CORRECT - hitting Win+R and then typing "inetmgr", "control" or "services.msc" is much, much faster than crawling with your mouse and right-clicking some icon in the start menu. You sound like someone who'd come off as an amateur to me. :)

We just want a drat option to revert to the old start menu, that's what the rage is about. It's simple and single column - multi-column is a huge, huge design flaw for keyboard users. I'll be first in line looking for old-school start menu emulators.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

This site posted on the last page does actually contain a link to a classic start menu emulator for Windows 7

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Pilsner posted:

CORRECT - hitting Win+R and then typing "inetmgr", "control" or "services.msc" is much, much faster than crawling with your mouse and right-clicking some icon in the start menu. You sound like someone who'd come off as an amateur to me. :)

Save yourself some extra keystrokes on Vista/7, mister! Skip the "R" and just hit Winkey. The Vista/7 search box pretty much replaces the Run dialog.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Any tips for someone building a new machine? Should I buy an upgradable copy of Vista, or would it be fine to skip Vista completely, just install the RC and then buy Win7 when it's released?

wang souffle
Apr 26, 2002
Does anyone know if the AMD Dual Core Optimizer is still recommended? I thought it was only needed in XP, but now I'm reading random things that recommend it for Vista & 7.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

nrr posted:

Any tips for someone building a new machine? Should I buy an upgradable copy of Vista, or would it be fine to skip Vista completely, just install the RC and then buy Win7 when it's released?

Buy vista and get a free Win7 Upgrade?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116677

*edit* This will allow you to do an in-place upgrade without performing any hackery. The RC is Windows 7 Ultimate and unless you are getting ultimate when 7 comes out, you cannot do an in-place upgrade, you need to do a clean installation.

Frabba fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 3, 2009

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Ok thanks, I was seeing if I could put that $100 into something else for the time being, and as an added bonus never have to deal with vista.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

nrr posted:

Ok thanks, I was seeing if I could put that $100 into something else for the time being, and as an added bonus never have to deal with vista.

You can still download and run the RC in the meantime, but this would appear to be the most cost efficient method of getting Windows 7 unless that pre-order deal is still going on somewhere (is it?).

Frabba v 2.3.77
Bugs Fixed
- Now reads the OP

Exclusive
Jan 1, 2008

Ok I screwed something up and I need help.

I was loving Windows 7 so much that I wanted to give my system partition more space so I converted it to dynamic, merged it with the rest of the disk, and then re-partitioned the disk giving more space to my system partition. I had no idea what I was doing but it seemed ok. Guess I was wrong.

Anyway now when I try to boot up I get "ntldr is missing" and Windows won't boot. tried the repair tool from the install CD to no avail. Does anyone know if there is a way to use the Recovery Console to fix this? The system is perfectly fine I just can't get it to boot.

All my data is safe on a different drive so a reinstall is fine, but I'm hoping for an elegant solution perhaps!

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

frabba posted:

You can still download and run the RC in the meantime, but this would appear to be the most cost efficient method of getting Windows 7 unless that pre-order deal is still going on somewhere (is it?).

hurrrr I didn't even think of not installing it. I've missed the boat on the pre-order deal for Canadia by the looks of things.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

wang souffle posted:

Does anyone know if the AMD Dual Core Optimizer is still recommended? I thought it was only needed in XP, but now I'm reading random things that recommend it for Vista & 7.

Not needed. it just specifically fixed a timing issue in XP that could slow some programs down. I believe in Vista and 7 the only thing is really does is make sure the processor drivers are up to date which Microsoft periodically send updates for in windows update anyways.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Has anyone gotten CoreAVCDecoder.ax to install? I used run -> 'regsver32 CoreAVCDecoder.ax' but it spouts some nonsense error.

If I can't install CoreAVC what will I use to watch HD video? :ohdear:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Lum posted:

This site posted on the last page does actually contain a link to a classic start menu emulator for Windows 7

Something tells me that's a joke.

"Compatible with all 16 bit versions"

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Mogomra posted:

Has anyone gotten CoreAVCDecoder.ax to install? I used run -> 'regsver32 CoreAVCDecoder.ax' but it spouts some nonsense error.

Just run the installer of your legitimately purchased copy of CoreAVC. That's what I've been doing with my copy since the RC and it installs fine every time.

However feel free to check out ffdshow if you need a free h.264 codec.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

xamphear posted:

Just run the installer of your legitimately purchased copy of CoreAVC. That's what I've been doing with my copy since the RC and it installs fine every time.

However feel free to check out ffdshow if you need a free h.264 codec.

I've actually been using a version from before they started charging for it, but I'll gladly lay down the money if it definitely plays nice with Windows 7. Thanks!

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Pilsner posted:

Heh, you're an IT-tech and you go to the start menu and right-click Computer with your mouse? Try pressing Win+Pause, smartypants. Or Win+M to minimize all windows, Shift+Win+M to undo the minimize, or Win+D to toggle show desktop.

We just want a drat option to revert to the old start menu, that's what the rage is about. It's simple and single column - multi-column is a huge, huge design flaw for keyboard users. I'll be first in line looking for old-school start menu emulators.

Then I'm a 13-year amateur system admin that likes using a mouse.

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime

LooseChanj posted:

He said "link to" - their link to "other one" is a legit (pay!) program.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

LooseChanj posted:

It is a joke, but in the bottom right is a link to a company that sells classic start menu for win7.

Calculon
Mar 19, 2006

WAKE UP AMERICA

Pilsner posted:

For someone hulking out about easier ways to navigate windows with a keyboard you sure do make launching services.msc a convoluted mess. Maybe if you hadn't reverted back to a Windows 95 start menu you would have noticed you can type commands by pressing the Windows key.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

What is there in the classic start menu that isn't in the Vista/7 menu and that can't be accessed with a simple key combination?

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Mogomra posted:

I've actually been using a version from before they started charging for it, but I'll gladly lay down the money if it definitely plays nice with Windows 7. Thanks!

Since you didn't say you were using it, I'm just going to throw it out there. don't use windows media player to play the files if you are, because it will try to use the built in mediafoundation codecs over what you have installed. Other players will use directshow instead. You still should go ahead and buy the newer codecs however. That old one has graphical glitches and other problems, and as long as you have a recent Nvidia card you have CUDA acceleration.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

What is there in the classic start menu that isn't in the Vista/7 menu and that can't be accessed with a simple key combination?

Fear of change.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Casao posted:

Fear of change.

But-but-but the new start menu steals valuable screen real-estate and it's never in the same order and-and-and indexing steals valuable CPU cycles so I turned it off with most of the other services like it says on this tweak site!!!

Not representing the views of anyone here on this forum, necessarily, just repeating what I've seen on other forums

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

What exactly is so valuable that you can't afford to miss it while the start menu is open for 3 seconds?

If anything it takes up less screen real estate because it keeps all the Program Files stuff in the same window instead of popping up trees all over the screen.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Mogomra posted:

You need to run that command from an administrator command prompt

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

c0burn posted:

You need to run that command from an administrator command prompt

He'll also need to take ownership of the msmpeg2vdec.dll file and rename it so the Microsoft codecs don't take precedence over CoreAVC, more info here:
http://forum.corecodec.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1917

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978
So I'm forcing myself to work with the new taskbar without any form of quicklaunch or other quick access to shortcuts, and I feel like I'm getting used to it. I'm still not completely sold on the concept, as I REALLY don't like having all of my windows grouped. But I'm going to try it for a bit longer.

My only real remaining complaint is WMP12. Not only is it horrifically slow, it doesn't save things the way I like them. I don't ask for a lot in my media players. I don't want any loving library or organization system to be constantly on top, as I do that myself (they're called directories). A playlist visible at all times when not in fullscreen mode (and the ability to sort and repeat said playlist). And navigation integration so that I can either right click on a directory full of files and hit "play with (X) player" or the ability to drag a list of files into it. I've tried several other players (including nerd favorite VLC - hated it), and other than Winamp, I can't find a player I like. Winamp has a LOOOONG standing bug of choppy fullscreen playback in Vista (or in this case Win7), so it's out, that leaves me with WMP12.

The problem with WMP12 is that it's unbelievably loving slow. The rest of the computer is pretty darned snappy, but WMP12 loads slow and changes files even slower. This is in contrast to XP in which WMP11 did pretty much everything I wanted it to, and didn't fight me about it. Additionally, MS is clearly pushing the media library. I don't want, or loving NEED the library, but it seems like if I want to do anything at all wiht the new media player, I have to go through the media library to do it.

Suggestions?

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Winamp for music, media player classic for movies. sorted.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Does Windows 7 have any type of a built-in virtualization host?

I'd like to run certain questionable (or one-time use) applications under a virtual machine so I'm protected and/or don't need to clutter the main operating system.

I'm guessing that VMware works but that installs a whole bunch of extra drivers and it would be nice to have something supported natively by Win7...

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Vinlaen posted:

Does Windows 7 have any type of a built-in virtualization host?

I'd like to run certain questionable (or one-time use) applications under a virtual machine so I'm protected and/or don't need to clutter the main operating system.

I'm guessing that VMware works but that installs a whole bunch of extra drivers and it would be nice to have something supported natively by Win7...

Virtual PC is available on Professional and up.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Ahhh, that looks perfect!

Do you know if the virtual machines are isolated completely from the host system?

Could files (viruses) be transferred between them? ...or can the virtual machine be completely locked down to isolate the two environments?

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

scarymonkey posted:

He'll also need to take ownership of the msmpeg2vdec.dll file and rename it so the Microsoft codecs don't take precedence over CoreAVC, more info here:
http://forum.corecodec.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1917

That works, but you may end up breaking acceleration of those formats over remote desktop and a few other programs. There is a utility that works and shouldn't throw off any other programs that require mediafoundation in the process. http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146910&highlight=windows+7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vinlaen posted:

Ahhh, that looks perfect!

Do you know if the virtual machines are isolated completely from the host system?

Could files (viruses) be transferred between them? ...or can the virtual machine be completely locked down to isolate the two environments?

Anything is possible. I'm not sure just how isolated the virtual environment is, but a lot of malware will refuse to run if it detects it's inside a virtualized environment. Malware would also have to be coded to figure out which virt. env. it's running under and know of possible ways to break out.