Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kwantam
Mar 25, 2008

-=kwantam

NZAmoeba posted:

My description might be a bit confusing. I've got one failed hard drive for a test box. I have another test box with a working hard drive that I suspect is completely identical.

I want to throw out the bad drive, take a drive image from the functioning box, and apply it to a new hard drive which is larger.

dd if=/dev/orig of=/dev/new bs=1M
parted /dev/new

grow partition to new size with parted. (Or you can use ext2resize.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Edit: Double Post

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 13, 2017

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

GregNorc posted:

So I set up an alias so that when I enter the command "tunnel" my eee will connect to a server at home on a specified port via SSH. (Thus I can use foxy proxy to tunnel all my browsing through it)

Anyways, I restarted the Eee after installing some updates to Ubuntu, and when I type "tunnel" nothing happens, it appears the alias is gone. Is this normal? Do I need to write in a file somewhere to make an alias permanent?
Yeah, put it in .bash_rc to make it set the alias everytime you open a shell.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

NZAmoeba posted:

My description might be a bit confusing. I've got one failed hard drive for a test box. I have another test box with a working hard drive that I suspect is completely identical.

I want to throw out the bad drive, take a drive image from the functioning box, and apply it to a new hard drive which is larger.

Oh then you already have your restored drive and you are growing it on another drive. Even easier. Like the other guy said, dd from small drive to larger. Then grow the filesystem. You have your data on the smaller drive if anything goes wrong so no worries there. http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/html_mono/parted.html#SEC30
Or if you use gparted you can do it with a GUI.

Its easier to do dd disk to disk because that will preserve the bootloader and all that. If you went and formatted the bigger drive, then did rsync from the smaller one to the new filesystem you would have to reinstall grub on the bigger drive.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I am trying to get a scanner working in xubuntu 9.04. I have installed sane/xsane. Everything works fine as root, but if I run xsane as a regular user I am told "access to the resource has been denied", or something to that effect. I have added my user to the saned group. There is no "scanner" group, as far as I can see.

What should I do here? This is a usb Epson V500. Thank you.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

JHVH-1 posted:

Oh then you already have your restored drive and you are growing it on another drive. Even easier. Like the other guy said, dd from small drive to larger. Then grow the filesystem. You have your data on the smaller drive if anything goes wrong so no worries there. http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/html_mono/parted.html#SEC30
Or if you use gparted you can do it with a GUI.

Its easier to do dd disk to disk because that will preserve the bootloader and all that. If you went and formatted the bigger drive, then did rsync from the smaller one to the new filesystem you would have to reinstall grub on the bigger drive.

Thanks for the help all, system is back up and running and I've saved us having to pay $6500 to our supplier for an out of warranty repair by grabbing a random HDD that was sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

In the end I just did the dd, didn't bother with the partition stuff, it'll just go on with it's life thinking it's a 80gig drive and that should be fine.

Korthing
Oct 23, 2006

Congratulations on never getting fit!

Harlequinade posted:

I'm currently on a Fedora-machine, and could really benefit from some kind of SSH-manager of some sort. I basically just want a better overview over my outgoing connections, as I usually spawn a shitload of them through an entire day.

It doesn't matter if it's a terminal or GUI-based deal, as long as it's easily readable, and somehow groups or organizes my ssh-terminal windows, sessions, etc.

Any suggestions?

I use 'screen' pretty heavily for that, most if not all distros have it in their package manager. Its a terminal multiplexer, which means you can create several different windows that spawn terminal sessions within a 'screen' session. From there you can run ssh on each of those windows and it will keep that connection for as long as screen is running/that window exists. Which, since you can detach screen and let it run as a background process, can be pretty indefinite. You can name your windows and bring up a listing of all the given windows to jump between.

I run it on a network jump box at my job, and at any given time can just reattach one of my screens and have 30+ ssh connections open for easy switching between servers.

http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I am trying to get a scanner working in xubuntu 9.04. I have installed sane/xsane. Everything works fine as root, but if I run xsane as a regular user I am told "access to the resource has been denied", or something to that effect. I have added my user to the saned group. There is no "scanner" group, as far as I can see.

On Ubuntu, users need to be in the scanner group. In GNOME's System > Administration > Users and Groups there's a checkbox for it, I'm not sure if XFCE has a GUI tool.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
What is the easiest way to programatically determine the physical device for a given mount point.

Know: /media/FLASHDRIVE
Want: /dev/sdb

I know that I could parse out the output from "df" but I was wondering if there was a more elegant solution.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
mount.

cat /proc/mounts could also work, but it's messier.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Zom Aur posted:

mount.

cat /proc/mounts could also work, but it's messier.

Great thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Does anybody know how to modify the amount that the volume adjustment buttons and the brightness adjustment buttons change the system volume and screen brightness? For brightness, adjusting the slider in Gnome gives me 16 distinct brightness levels but the keyboard buttons only hit 9 total, skipping a few in between. For volume it adjusts 6-7% every time I hit volume up/down and I'd just like a smaller step size (3-4% probably). I've dug around Gconf-editor a little bit, but I've been pretty unsuccessful finding anything useful. Anyone have an idea?

Edit: This is Ubuntu 9.04 on a Dell Latitude E6400.

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns
edit: crap nevermind I figured it out

nbv4 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 2, 2009

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender
code:
alias dump='mysqldump --password=XXXX database | bzip2 > dump`date +%Y-%m-%d`.bz2'

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns

ShoulderDaemon posted:

code:
alias dump='mysqldump --password=XXXX database | bzip2 > dump`date +%Y-%m-%d`.bz2'

cool!

diafoirus
Mar 25, 2009

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Check if you have a "sane" group...

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns
I've got another problem. In my .bashrc file on my local machine, I have an alias "wf" set up which ssh's into my webfactional account. I have another bashrc set up on my remote machine which works fine when I log in using an interactive shell:

code:
chris@chris-comp:~$ wf
Last login: Mon Aug  3 13:32:34 2009 from 173.88.27.30
[nbv4@web82 ~]$ bash-alias
it worked!
But if I do it this way:

code:
chris@chris-comp:~$ wf 'bash-alias'
bash: bash-alias: command not found
How can I fix this? Google came up with two solutions: rename .bash_profile to just .profile, which did not work. And the other is to have:

code:
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
  . ~/.bashrc
fi
in .bash_profile, but that was already there. Help?

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

nbv4 posted:

I've got another problem. In my .bashrc file on my local machine, I have an alias "wf" set up which ssh's into my webfactional account. I have another bashrc set up on my remote machine which works fine when I log in using an interactive shell:

code:
chris@chris-comp:~$ wf
Last login: Mon Aug  3 13:32:34 2009 from 173.88.27.30
[nbv4@web82 ~]$ bash-alias
it worked!
But if I do it this way:

code:
chris@chris-comp:~$ wf 'bash-alias'
bash: bash-alias: command not found
How can I fix this? Google came up with two solutions: rename .bash_profile to just .profile, which did not work. And the other is to have:

code:
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
  . ~/.bashrc
fi
in .bash_profile, but that was already there. Help?

An easy way to do it would be to make wf a shell script instead of a bash alias, that accepts a command line argument to pass to the ssh command.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

SynVisions posted:

An easy way to do it would be to make wf a shell script instead of a bash alias, that accepts a command line argument to pass to the ssh command.

or setings in ~/.ssh/config for host/user/etc

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns

SynVisions posted:

How would that make any difference? Even if I forgo the bash alias and just do: "ssh nbv4@webfactional.com 'bash-alias'" I still get the same error.

quote:

or setings in ~/.ssh/config for host/user/etc
come again?

nbv4 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 3, 2009

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

nbv4 posted:

How would that make any difference? Even if I forgo the bash alias and just do: "ssh nbv4@webfactional.com 'bash alias'" I still get the same error.
come again?

your original problem is likely due to your .bashrc having logic to abort if $PS1 isn't set, so it doesn't matter if you source it from .bash_profile for your noninterative ssh invocation. change bashrc or add explicit bash -ilc bash-alias to you wf alias.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

diafoirus posted:

Check if you have a "sane" group...

I have a 'saned' group, of which I am also a member. I made a 'scanner' group, and added myself to that. Still no luck.

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

I like to browse my files in detailed list mode but nautilus annoys me because I can't just right click an empty space and create a folder/paste, it insists on auto-resizing the columns to fill the screen and selecting the item even if I click on the empty space. Like so:

It's stupid but I've been using windows for so long I'm used to explorer's right click menu and I'm just wondering if there's a way to duplicate this behavior in nautilus? There's no problem in the icon views since there's plenty of empty space but I prefer to browse nice simple traditional lists. :downs:

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns

Elos posted:

I like to browse my files in detailed list mode but nautilus annoys me because I can't just right click an empty space and create a folder/paste, it insists on auto-resizing the columns to fill the screen and selecting the item even if I click on the empty space. Like so:

It's stupid but I've been using windows for so long I'm used to explorer's right click menu and I'm just wondering if there's a way to duplicate this behavior in nautilus? There's no problem in the icon views since there's plenty of empty space but I prefer to browse nice simple traditional lists. :downs:

This really annoys me as well. The only solution I can come up with is to just use that little widget at the top right to switch it to icon mode, right click, then change back to list mode.

GringoGrande
Jul 27, 2001
Nah...

nbv4 posted:

come again?

You'd put this in your ~/.ssh/config
code:
Host wf
  User nbv4
  HostName webfactional.com
On the remote machine, make the bash alias into a executable shell script in HOME.
Then you can do:
code:
ssh wf ./what-used-to-be-an-alias
Using ~/.ssh/config for ssh 'bookmarks' is pretty handy, since then you can easily do stuff like
code:
ssh -t wf vim
to run vim on the remote machine (the -t switch is used to force a pseudo-tty which is needed for screen based CLI tools)

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
So I really love my linux mint platform, but I am desperate to play some PC games. I have wine installed, and really my only desire is to play baldurs gate 2. So I have the ISO's downloaded and ready to go, and I'm stuck there.

I've read loki installers for linux games, but they require the game CD's. I've tried the http://www.playonlinux.com/en/ site, but they require a lot of coding I don't understand to get the games to run.

Is there any simple way for me to install and run baldurs gate on linux?

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!
Wine's appdb is a good starting place for getting programs to work:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2827

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
Not sure if this warrants its own shiny thread so I thought I'd play it safe and ask here first.

Backstory: We are a hosting/managed IT/remote backup company. We're working to implement Alfresco, running on CentOS, as an enterprise content management solution for a bunch of new clients. We host and manage, they access and do goofy things with their documents. So far so good.

My company wants to give its clients remote access to the Alfresco file share through SMB/CIFS. Over the internet. I have gathered that this is a Bad Idea.

What alternatives, if any, do we have to work something like this?

dreggory fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 5, 2009

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
What does "Local APIC #0 not detected. Using dummy local APIC instead." mean? Google isn't coming up with much. If I try to boot without the 'noapic' line in grub boot loader I get a hardlock as it is loading the different schedulers.

I have a quad core cpu, and I swear xubuntu is only using 1 core.
cat /proc/cpuinfo
code:
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 15
model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz
stepping	: 11
cpu MHz		: 1596.000
cache size	: 4096 KB
physical id	: 0
siblings	: 1
core id		: 0
cpu cores	: 1
apicid		: 0
initial apicid	: 0
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 10
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36
clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon
pebs bts rep_good pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm
tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
bogomips	: 4800.49
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 64
address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:
In gentoo, this would output cpu0-3. Also, in 'top' when I press 1 it only shows cpu 0.

What the hell.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

dreggory posted:

Not sure if this warrants its own shiny thread so I thought I'd play it safe and ask here first.

Backstory: We are a hosting/managed IT/remote backup company. We're working to implement Alfresco, running on CentOS, as an enterprise content management solution for a bunch of new clients. We host and manage, they access and do goofy things with their documents. So far so good.

My company wants to give its clients remote access to the Alfresco file share through SMB/CIFS. Over the internet. I have gathered that this is a Bad Idea.

What alternatives, if any, do we have to work something like this?

You could try some sort of VPN solution this would allow more private access than you would have using just SMB/CIFS over the internet.

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
Can someone give me a basic outline of what needs to happen to point a domain at a server in Linux? I've never done it by hand and all my google searches seem to only confuse me further.

I have a VPS running Debian 5 and domain name xyz.com. I've figured out what my service provider's nameservers are (ns.serviceprovider.com), have updated my registrar with them and now I think I have to do some crazy poo poo with Bind. Help?

Thanks.

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

Grigori Rasputin posted:

Can someone give me a basic outline of what needs to happen to point a domain at a server in Linux? I've never done it by hand and all my google searches seem to only confuse me further.

I have a VPS running Debian 5 and domain name xyz.com. I've figured out what my service provider's nameservers are (ns.serviceprovider.com), have updated my registrar with them and now I think I have to do some crazy poo poo with Bind. Help?

Thanks.

Honestly, if you are that far lost with DNS and aren't willing/able to do the research to even get started, you probably shouldn't be hosting your own DNS. zoneedit.com is a commonly used free DNS host that you can use to point your domain name at your server.

If you really want to host your own DNS, the first step is to read up on the basics of DNS and how it works, and then move on to possible DNS servers such as BIND and djbdns, and the "crazy poo poo" you have to do to get it running.

edit: Sorry to sound snarky, but if you are just getting started with Linux/systems administration, there are other places that you should start before setting up your own DNS server if the guides you are finding on google are just total nonsense to you.

SynVisions fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 6, 2009

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
I have a basic understanding of DNS - I can't map out how the request chain works and all that but I get it well enough. I am looking for information so I can solve my problem, I'm trying not to configure BIND if there is an easier/more straightforward way.

How about helping me with my problem rather than a handful of sentences that say "you don't know poo poo?" I know I don't know poo poo, it's why I'm asking for help.

To reiterate, I have a VPS and I am trying to set it up to use my domain. It's running Debian 5 and I can access it just fine by IP/provider subdomain. What are the various ways to accomplish this and what are the best ones for a novice? Thanks.

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

Grigori Rasputin posted:

I have a basic understanding of DNS - I can't map out how the request chain works and all that but I get it well enough. I am looking for information so I can solve my problem, I'm trying not to configure BIND if there is an easier/more straightforward way.

How about helping me with my problem rather than a handful of sentences that say "you don't know poo poo?" I know I don't know poo poo, it's why I'm asking for help.

To reiterate, I have a VPS and I am trying to set it up to use my domain. It's running Debian 5 and I can access it just fine by IP/provider subdomain. What are the various ways to accomplish this and what are the best ones for a novice? Thanks.

I already pointed you to an easier way to go about it than setting up BIND. Head over to zoneedit.com and you can have them host your DNS for free.

The reason why I didn't type up a guide to setting up BIND is because there are literally dozens out there already that are very in-depth. If you had attempted to follow a guide and hit a stumbling block that would be easier to work with, instead just coming in and asking how to do it from start to finish, what do you expect someone to say?

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
Thanks, I wasn't looking for a BIND guide but more a simple and general overview of DNS on a Linux host since the information I'd dug up wasn't proving to enlighten me any further. I got it up and running using afraid.org's service with relative ease.

My knowledge isn't quite there, but it isn't totally vacant either. I posted here to hopefully increase my knowledge so that the material that troubled me would become more accessible. I only asked for a basic outline of what needs to happen and not a comprehensive BIND guide - really I think your snarkiness is entirely unnecessary. I simply wanted a small overview of how a host can configure itself for DNS to have a little better picture of my problem and solutions.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Grigori Rasputin posted:

Thanks, I wasn't looking for a BIND guide but more a simple and general overview of DNS on a Linux host since the information I'd dug up wasn't proving to enlighten me any further. I got it up and running using afraid.org's service with relative ease.

My knowledge isn't quite there, but it isn't totally vacant either. I posted here to hopefully increase my knowledge so that the material that troubled me would become more accessible. I only asked for a basic outline of what needs to happen and not a comprehensive BIND guide - really I think your snarkiness is entirely unnecessary. I simply wanted a small overview of how a host can configure itself for DNS to have a little better picture of my problem and solutions.

You're really asking about the "hello world" of DNS implementation, so I think your criticism of the response is unwarranted.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Graybeards: does anything like Hypermail exist anymore? I selflessly took on the project of migrating a senile installation of it to something more contemporary, but I'm not finding anything similar (ie. displays threaded email in a browser, like GMANE maybe, but doesn't have all that list management stuff). I'd prefer something in a standard repository. Currently I'm well on the way to making a Hypermail clone in PHP, but higher-priority projects are starting to mount up. The OS is RHEL5 (migrating from Red Hat 7.2).

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

FeloniousDrunk posted:

Graybeards: does anything like Hypermail exist anymore? I selflessly took on the project of migrating a senile installation of it to something more contemporary, but I'm not finding anything similar (ie. displays threaded email in a browser, like GMANE maybe, but doesn't have all that list management stuff). I'd prefer something in a standard repository. Currently I'm well on the way to making a Hypermail clone in PHP, but higher-priority projects are starting to mount up. The OS is RHEL5 (migrating from Red Hat 7.2).

mod_mbox could use some development love.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Apologies if this isn't the best thread for this.

I'm running a tightvnc server on my Ubuntu computer, so I can use Tight VNC on my Windows Vista computer to access it. I've got it working, but tightvnc makes it's own seperate desktop workspace. I want to see the same thing that my Ubuntu machine displays. How do I do this?

edit: You know what? I decided it works better this way. The Ubuntu comp is my HTPC, so it's nice to be able to watch a video untouched, while doing other poo poo on a different screen.

Cheers!

Revol fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 7, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Ok, now I do have a problem. I added TightVNC to my startup applications by adding the command 'tightvncserver' to my Startup Applications Preferences.

The way I can tell that a server starts via this command, is that I hear the 'startup' sound twice; once for the desktop, and again for the TightVNC desktop.

But I just booted my computer with this as a startup application for the first time, and it will not stop executing this command. tightvncserver keeps re-executing itself. How to I make it only execute one launch on startup?

Edit: I figured this one out on my own too! I gotta add ':1' to the command, so that when it runs the second time, it sees that the :1 desktop was already made, and thus the loop stops.

Revol fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 8, 2009