Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
Been there done that, but the story usually unfolds like this:

"Yeah, the network guys said it's just the way the network is, and there's nothing they can do about it"

Boss: "You(network team) have to look into this and figure out why the network is behaving the way it is so we can rule that out."

Queue for hours of troubleshooting, basically doing the job for the server guys, to prove that it is NOT a network issue.

~fin~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

nex posted:

Been there done that, but the story usually unfolds like this:

"Yeah, the network guys said it's just the way the network is, and there's nothing they can do about it"

Boss: "You(network team) have to look into this and figure out why the network is behaving the way it is so we can rule that out."

Queue for hours of troubleshooting, basically doing the job for the server guys, to prove that it is NOT a network issue.

~fin~

So network guys get paid more than server guys, right?

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
Of course not.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Goddamit

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
A couple of years back when I had to go down server bozo lane I edited a popular cartoon thusly:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

inignot posted:

A couple of years back when I had to go down server bozo lane I edited a popular cartoon thusly:

Sounds like you need a hug. :glomp:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

nex posted:

Of course not.

I think you are doing something wrong then.....

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Powercrazy posted:

I think you are doing something wrong then.....

Phew, thank gently caress for that.

'So, what happened to that server that shat itself the other day?'
'I restarted it, it came up fine'
'Ok.. did you work out what happened?'
'No, because I restarted it and it came up ok'
'But what happens if it happens again?'
'I'll restart it again'
'..and if that doesn't 'fix' it?'
'I'll reformat it'
'So you're not even going to spend 5 minutes with Google and the event logs trying to diagnose what happened and actually fix it?'
'What do you think I am, some kind of geek?'

This is where Tony Montana finally gave the finger to the whole server side of infrastructure and started reading up on Cisco and networking. I am talking about Microsoft guys though, which are notoriously the worst of the bunch because any fuckwit normally ends up taking care of an Exchange server or two. Hopefully UNIX server guys are smarter than that, but gently caress it anyway, networking4lyfe yo.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Working on a cool issue that has appeared recently, wherein the VLAN configuration for switchports disappears at random. I don't know what is causing this, yet, nor how long it has really been an issue, because of several other factors people generally wouldn't notice what is going on.

At least Cisco keeps you busy.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Partycat posted:

Working on a cool issue that has appeared recently, wherein the VLAN configuration for switchports disappears at random. I don't know what is causing this, yet, nor how long it has really been an issue, because of several other factors people generally wouldn't notice what is going on.

At least Cisco keeps you busy.

Was the switch configured for VTP and someone else plugged in a new switch?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Is this the best place for a Rancid/Cisco question?

I just set up Rancid to keep tabs on a small network. I'm getting spammed every hour when it pulls configs from Cisco Catalyst switches though, because the version that gets pulled always seems to have different line termination in "show vlan" than the stored copy. Observe:

Sorry for breaking tables, but this question doesn't make any sense if I don't.
code:
edited to stop breaking tables.
And it'll do the same thing the next hour. What the hell do I do about this?

Mierdaan fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 27, 2009

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco
The switch is always going to use the same line termination. How is Rancid pulling this? SSH?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Tremblay posted:

The switch is always going to use the same line termination. How is Rancid pulling this? SSH?

Via telnet.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

Mierdaan posted:

Via telnet.

Ok, one thing to look at would be a packet capture of two pulls. If they are identical but Rancid flips, then the issue is post processing.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Yeah, I'm just assuming it is - I don't see how IOS would be picking a different line terminator each time. Guess I'll dig into how they get dumped into CVS and see if there's some bad perl changing it somewhere along the line.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Mierdaan posted:

Is this the best place for a Rancid/Cisco question?

I just set up Rancid to keep tabs on a small network. I'm getting spammed every hour when it pulls configs from Cisco Catalyst switches though, because the version that gets pulled always seems to have different line termination in "show vlan" than the stored copy. Observe:

Sorry for breaking tables, but this question doesn't make any sense if I don't.
code:
edited to stop breaking tables.
And it'll do the same thing the next hour. What the hell do I do about this?

Rancid is pretty notorious about this, if you don't care about the show vlan output:

http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2007-November/002615.html

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

ragzilla posted:

Rancid is pretty notorious about this, if you don't care about the show vlan output:

http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2007-November/002615.html

Thanks, it seems to have stopped being so spammy but in the end I don't care too much about show vlan, I'll follow that link if it acts up again.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Richard Noggin posted:

PIX VPN help needed! I have a site-to-site IPSEC VPN set up between 2 PIX 501s running 6.3(3). I wanted to add a remote access VPN so that a user could work from home. I got the remote access VPN working fine, but it broke the site-to-site :(.

Hey, I just did this in reverse!

Herv posted:

One crypto map per interface, at least that's how it used to work.

But Herv helped me figure out why I was an idiot. I love this place sometimes :glomp:

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I have a vendor attempting to configure and send us an ASA 5510 . The idea was that we were going to have one interface on the device, publicly addressed (all our stuff is) . The device establishes a tunnel off to somewhere else, we route traffic to it internally for that range on the other end of the tunnel, it spits out the encrypted traffic towards the gateway, and it rolls over the internet.

On the reverse the tunneled traffic would be heading towards the public IP of the appliance, where it would be able to decrypt and find the remote destination, and forward the traffic again towards the gateway which would send it off wherever it needed to go.

At least, that is how I understood it to work, but now I'm being told it only functions if I have two interfaces with two addresses on two subnets, which seems like it isn't necessary.

I figure someone here may have encountered this and could tell me why either that won't work or why it owuld be a bad idea.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Mierdaan posted:

Hey, I just did this in reverse!

But Herv helped me figure out why I was an idiot. I love this place sometimes :glomp:

Heh, we are all 'idiots' as we trod along towards the goal of proficiency. Just like snowboarding, everyone has a first day, month, year, decade. No one is above it!

I will never forget trying to teach myself PIX (4.x?) when the Cisco documentation ran off a CD and was displayed in a cheezy tomcat web server on my laptop. "Bitches walk out my crib with a limp, cause I'm the motherfuggin pimp." (Flow provided by the PIX) I limped to my car on many an occasion in the 90's. :shobon:

Cheers

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Partycat posted:

I have a vendor attempting to configure and send us an ASA 5510 . The idea was that we were going to have one interface on the device, publicly addressed (all our stuff is) . The device establishes a tunnel off to somewhere else, we route traffic to it internally for that range on the other end of the tunnel, it spits out the encrypted traffic towards the gateway, and it rolls over the internet.

On the reverse the tunneled traffic would be heading towards the public IP of the appliance, where it would be able to decrypt and find the remote destination, and forward the traffic again towards the gateway which would send it off wherever it needed to go.

At least, that is how I understood it to work, but now I'm being told it only functions if I have two interfaces with two addresses on two subnets, which seems like it isn't necessary.

I figure someone here may have encountered this and could tell me why either that won't work or why it owuld be a bad idea.

With VPNs you cannot have your peer address in the same subnet as the subnet you're tunneling. How is your firewall (and theirs) supposed to know to transport encrypted traffic over "itself"?

You always need an ip on a different subnet for your peer address. Usually it isn't a problem because the address space you're tunneling is usually an internal network but sometimes it isn't.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Steve Slavery posted:

With VPNs you cannot have your peer address in the same subnet as the subnet you're tunneling. How is your firewall (and theirs) supposed to know to transport encrypted traffic over "itself"?

You always need an ip on a different subnet for your peer address. Usually it isn't a problem because the address space you're tunneling is usually an internal network but sometimes it isn't.

I'm not sure I understand this, as I really haven't ever done anything with VPN's. The VPN appliance is own its own subnet, we chopped off a piece of our network for it.

The traffic that we want to go to some subnet at the far end would have a static route setup to forward towards the VPN router. It would send the encrypted traffic back towards a gateway, which I would assume would be the only sticky part, to make sure that doesn't just get routed back to itself, so that flows over the internet. The return traffic destined for that device would get decrypted and floated back towards our network to the peers.

All of the clients would be elsewhere on other subnets, that part is for certain.

e:

this sonicwall document describes this. I am obviously not using this product but it seems to make sense to me.

http://www.sonicwall.com/downloads/Firmware_6.x_Single_Arm_Mode_Concept_and_Configuration.pdf

Partycat fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 31, 2009

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Cisco short question:(wireless)

I have a user (owner) in Boca Raton with lovely wireless (871w). A quick look at his radio interface shows input, output, and CRC errors. I do a 'dot11 dot11Radio 0 carrier busy' test and get this:
code:
fdog-boca-fw#show dot11 carrier busy

Frequency  Carrier Busy %
---------  --------------
   2412        100
   2417        100
   2422        100
   2427        100
   2432        100
   2437        100
   2442        100
   2447        100
   2452        100
   2457        100
   2462        100
When I run the same command at the home office 1130ag access point, I get the following:
code:
1131AG#
Frequency  Carrier Busy %
---------  --------------
   2412          0
   2417          1
   2422          4
   2427          1
   2432          2
   2437          0
   2442          0
   2447          2
   2452          3
   2457          1
   2462          8
Is the wireless radio on the 871w totally FUBAR, or should he sell he house before the tumors start growing out of his back? Is it something else? Trying to avoid calling the TAC, but looks like I may have to if I need to replace the unit. The unit should be under a year old so I should still have support right? I am horrible on all the TAC stuff, so set me straight where needed.

Thanks

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I'm not familiar with that appliance, but for all the 1230's, 40's, and 50's we have here they seem to have 90 days on them for warranty.

The way we operate is we wait 83 days to install them so by the time we put them up and they fail we are out of luck :/

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Well, 15 minutes on the initial call, 1 hour with the tech support, and they are sending me a new unit. While the carrier busy test @ 100 percent was a bug listed for other AP's, the unit would throw a ton of CRC errors with NO clients connected.

I asked how long an 871w would be under warranty, and the initial support person really wasn't sure, but thought 1 year sounded good.

The End (Hopefully).

e: Here's the bug doco if anyone is interested.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCsl98287

Herv fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 3, 2009

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
Yeah 90days is the typical warranty without a contract on the device.

But sometimes Cisco is nice like that. We have a bunch of routers that ran great for years, always under contract and then we let them lapse. Shortly thereafter we lost a routing board and they replaced it no questions asked because we never called in once on it.

I guess it all depends on who you get in RMA.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

routenull0 posted:

Yeah 90days is the typical warranty without a contract on the device.

But sometimes Cisco is nice like that. We have a bunch of routers that ran great for years, always under contract and then we let them lapse. Shortly thereafter we lost a routing board and they replaced it no questions asked because we never called in once on it.

I guess it all depends on who you get in RMA.

TAC engineers used to have a gently caress ton of discretion when it came to RMAs. Due to fraud and general belt tightening this is no longer the case. Glad you got taken care of Herv.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Wonderfully comforting when Cisco.com goes down and the entire Cisco-owned /24 it's in disappears from BGP. I know they're hosted by Akamai, but it kinda feels like if I called AT&T and got "The number you have dialed has been disconnected."

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

wolrah posted:

Wonderfully comforting when Cisco.com goes down and the entire Cisco-owned /24 it's in disappears from BGP. I know they're hosted by Akamai, but it kinda feels like if I called AT&T and got "The number you have dialed has been disconnected."
Yea I noticed that as well. The prefix for ns1.cisco.com as well as for https://www.cisco.com disappeared from bgp for at least an hour this morning. Funny you should mention AT&T since apparently Cisco is blaming it on some massive ATT bay area outage.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

wolrah posted:

it kinda feels like if I called AT&T and got "The number you have dialed has been disconnected."
AT&T is nearly impossible to contact via telephone. Everything is a circular or dead-end maze of insanity and despair. The fact that real people even work at T anymore is probably more due to an accounting glitch than competent business acumen.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006

jwh posted:

AT&T is nearly impossible to contact via telephone. Everything is a circular or dead-end maze of insanity and despair. The fact that real people even work at T anymore is probably more due to an accounting glitch than competent business acumen.

Level3 works sort of the same way. I generally call our sales rep and let him find someone that can fix whatever issue I might have.

edit: Telecom companies always seem to be the most comically woeful when it comes to anything involving technology. Need to turn a circuit down? That will be a month.

Boner Buffet fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 5, 2009

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

InferiorWang posted:

edit: Telecom companies always seem to be the most comically woeful when it comes to anything involving technology. Need to turn a circuit down? That will be a month.

This or that they can't find your circuit sometimes without not only the ID but the location, order number, time of day you ordered it, who you talked to, what you were wearing when you ordered it , etc .

They can, for sure, bill you for it, however.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Partycat posted:

They can, for sure, bill you for it, however.

Sometimes they can forget for years and years as well. :)

Sojourner
Jun 6, 2007

Get In
Here's a doozy of a problem that I've been dealing with since yesterday afternoon/today so far.

We're replacing some dinosaur cisco switches with some new hp procurve. The new/old switch is fed with multimode fiber from a distribution switch. In the closet, I've got the HP running in the rack above the cisco, and I change over the fiber cable from a GBIC end to one with an end for an SFP, plug it into the HP and...nothing. The interface won't come up. It's not a hardware problem, I've tried 3 sfps, two different HP switches/multiple SFP slots and 2 fiber patch cables. I don't believe it is a config issue because even if my running configs were ASCII drawings the interface would still be up (unless they were shut down, which they are not). Any suggestions or trouble shooting steps I could take would be much appreciated.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Sojourner posted:

Here's a doozy of a problem that I've been dealing with since yesterday afternoon/today so far.

We're replacing some dinosaur cisco switches with some new hp procurve. The new/old switch is fed with multimode fiber from a distribution switch. In the closet, I've got the HP running in the rack above the cisco, and I change over the fiber cable from a GBIC end to one with an end for an SFP, plug it into the HP and...nothing. The interface won't come up. It's not a hardware problem, I've tried 3 sfps, two different HP switches/multiple SFP slots and 2 fiber patch cables. I don't believe it is a config issue because even if my running configs were ASCII drawings the interface would still be up (unless they were shut down, which they are not). Any suggestions or trouble shooting steps I could take would be much appreciated.

So obvious it hardly ever gets asked:

Have you tried flipping the fibers at the patch panel end? (Or have you looked at the end of the fiber as you insert it to make sure you're not connecting the transmits together- assuming it's multimode (orange) cable)

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite

Sojourner posted:

Procurve migration stuff

Do a sh int status and make sure the Cisco ports aren't err-disabled.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Might want to ensure the sfp & patch cord are both for multimode as well.

Sojourner
Jun 6, 2007

Get In
Thanks for chiming in to help guys, but after many prayers to the lord and attempts I got it.

Turns out, The original cable I brought with me was bad, and the original SFP was good. I assumed the SFP was broken first, so I swapped that out for an (unbenknownst to me) dead SFP. Then it still didn't work, so I swapped the cable out. That didn't work on the first SFP so I went back to the original cable. Now the that I was using the dead cable with the three SFP's it wasn't working. This was all just before my post, somewheres around the time of my post I got a notification on my pc that the link came up, so I checked it out and it was just getting an insane amount errors. So I checked it out, swapped the cable again and tried the working cable with an SFP, didn't work, tried a different SFP, worked and almost had a heart attack.

Two DOA parts in one day from different vendors. Shortly after I tried to hook up an SX link to another closet in the building and the link wasn't coming up, and I had a very dramatic "not again" moment, but fortunately no one was around. I walked over to the other closet the switch that this one was going to be feeding had died since the last time I had been in the room. One of those days.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

ragzilla posted:

(Or have you looked at the end of the fiber as you insert it to make sure you're not connecting the transmits together- assuming it's multimode (orange) cable)

Why would you do this ??? Multimode is not always orange, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Partycat posted:

Why would you do this ??? Multimode is not always orange, either.

Generally (62.5 micron) jumpers are unless it's laser optimized 50 micron which is Aqua. In any case if you look at the end of the fiber you'll see a tiny red dot on the TX. Bit harder to do with singlemode or multimode laser sources that are 1000nm or above though- but hopefully in those cases you'll have a light meter.