Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Travis343 posted:

e: and if anybody but me still buys JLU, we're getting 2 kick rear end 6 packs, a 'good guy' and a 'bad guy' one. Good guy pack has a Mr. Terrific, Elongated Man, Obsidian, Hourman and a non-horrible Supergirl as well as (of course) Superman. Bad guy is all new characters except for Lex Luthor, with Tala, Psycho Pirate, Devil Ray, Dr. Polaris, and Gentleman Ghost, who is no longer holding up playing cards for no reason. Looks great, I just hope some of them actually show up near me.

My neighbor three houses down, a fellow collector, just said he picked these up for me. I still collect JLU, but I'm not a completist so I will probably end up trying to sell Tala, Lex, and Devil Ray once I pay him back for all of them. I no longer have my JLU figures on display, as I'm trying to figure out a new, safe method of displaying them without having them constantly falling over. What do you do with yours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My neighbor three houses down, a fellow collector, just said he picked these up for me. I still collect JLU, but I'm not a completist so I will probably end up trying to sell Tala, Lex, and Devil Ray once I pay him back for all of them. I no longer have my JLU figures on display, as I'm trying to figure out a new, safe method of displaying them without having them constantly falling over. What do you do with yours?

Horde the little plastic stands, mostly. I've also made a few custom stands just out of sculpey, pressing the figure down on it then baking it. This doesn't work terribly well most of the time.

Or you can buy JLU figure stands off of Mattycollector. Of course not every figure has a hole in the foot for the stands...

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Travis343 posted:

Horde the little plastic stands, mostly. I've also made a few custom stands just out of sculpey, pressing the figure down on it then baking it. This doesn't work terribly well most of the time.

Or you can buy JLU figure stands off of Mattycollector. Of course not every figure has a hole in the foot for the stands...

I've heard the Mattycollector stands were a horrible ripoff -- overpriced, and they hardly worked at all. They also seem so big and bulky, like they'd take up far too much shelf space. At this point, I'm close to drilling tiny holes in their feet and using plain black "Smalljoes.com" stands meant for G.I. Joe figures.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Why don't you try my tried and true technique of putting some sticky tack on the bottom of a figure's feet? I do it on any figure that has a issue with standing and it works 98% of the time. It is cheap and won't harm the figures.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

Djarum posted:

Why don't you try my tried and true technique of putting some sticky tack on the bottom of a figure's feet? I do it on any figure that has a issue with standing and it works 98% of the time. It is cheap and won't harm the figures.

Ha, I thought I was the only one who did that. Always worked great for me and looks natural if you use the right amount.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Donde Esta posted:

Ha, I thought I was the only one who did that. Always worked great for me and looks natural if you use the right amount.

Hmm.. tack.. I would have never thought it would hold the figures well.

I actually used HOT GLUE on my figures.. if you allow the hot glue to dry when you impact the foot on the stand.. it actually peels off quite easily in my experience. I'll be honest though, I've only done it with a few figures and although the paint has never come off (even in reapplication of the hot glue) I guess I wouldn't wanna chance it if your figures foot is heavily painted and not just molded in colors.

Jet Ready Go fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 2, 2009

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Before I had a nice spot for my figures where they could lean against a whale inconspicuously I would hot glue their feet. Some kind of do better than others, and DC Direct things tend to have week ankles, so you have to take care when pulling the glue off, but it worked ok.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Grem posted:

Before I had a nice spot for my figures where they could lean against a whale inconspicuously I would hot glue their feet. Some kind of do better than others, and DC Direct things tend to have week ankles, so you have to take care when pulling the glue off, but it worked ok.

Say what?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

mods rename me posted:

Say what?

week ankles, get your poo poo together.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I just want to know what a large sea mammal has to do with anything!

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

mods rename me posted:

I just want to know what a large sea mammal has to do with anything!

He leans his toys against the whale. What else do you want? They have 7 Day Ankles.

AlkalinePunk
Oct 2, 2003

Your Mix: INFERIOR! Soundwave's Best of Emo: SUPERIOR!
For some reason the above made me laugh way more than it should have.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

All the Comic-Con Mattel poo poo goes on sale tomorrow morning (Aug 3rd) at 9am PST, just to forewarn anyone who wants something.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Rage posted:

All the Comic-Con Mattel poo poo goes on sale tomorrow morning (Aug 3rd) at 9am PST, just to forewarn anyone who wants something.

Egon figure here I come! :dance:

Zealot185
May 21, 2007
Looks like DCUC Wave 8 (Giganta wave) finally hit the states. I spotted Mr. Terrific/Commander Steel/Vigilante at a TRU here in north Jersey yesterday.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh, I'm having second thoughts about the Egon figure now. It's the SDCC slimed version, and a clean version of Egon is coming later in the year and I might just wait for that. :ohdear:

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, I'm having second thoughts about the Egon figure now. It's the SDCC slimed version, and a clean version of Egon is coming later in the year and I might just wait for that. :ohdear:

Both! Remember, the next time Egon will roll out won't be till like Aug next year, considering they have the time set for all the other figures. 12" Ray in Sept, I think its 6" Winston in Oct and so on. Peter doesn't come out till like July.

edti: Oh great, there goes MattyCollector, its already giving me the "too many people" page and its not even 9 am yet.

edit 2: Whew, got my Egon ordered and now I can't even refresh the Ghostbusters line page, good luck to anyone else whos getting something.

Corn Glizzy fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 3, 2009

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Yeah, the only SDCC exclusive I didn't get that I wanted was the Wonder Twins but looks like it's impossible to get into the mattycollector site so no Wonder Twins for me.

Too bad I have a job or I might be able to watch this until I get in.

Edit: Well, lucky me. Looks like i got in and got my Wonder Twins. I'll be damned.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 3, 2009

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

RevKrule posted:

Yeah, the only SDCC exclusive I didn't get that I wanted was the Wonder Twins but looks like it's impossible to get into the mattycollector site so no Wonder Twins for me.

Too bad I have a job or I might be able to watch this until I get in.

Edit: Well, lucky me. Looks like i got in and got my Wonder Twins. I'll be damned.

This post pretty much sums up how the Mattel booth was run at SDCC.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Fish Of Doom posted:

This post pretty much sums up how the Mattel booth was run at SDCC.

Didnt they sell a big case to someone of He-Ro's or something and the guy said "these will be at my booth for twice the price."

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

mods rename me posted:

Didnt they sell a big case to someone of He-Ro's or something and the guy said "these will be at my booth for twice the price."

That's usually the way it goes. I'm really questioning how much work I put into getting those god drat Hal Jordans. Yeah, the rings are great, but jesus gently caress did that eat up most of my mornings trying to get the raffle tickets in order to buy one.

They ended up being about two different head variations and nothing more than a paint job.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Jack Skeleton posted:

That's usually the way it goes. I'm really questioning how much work I put into getting those god drat Hal Jordans. Yeah, the rings are great, but jesus gently caress did that eat up most of my mornings trying to get the raffle tickets in order to buy one.

They ended up being about two different head variations and nothing more than a paint job.

This is the end conclusion I came to on the Hal Jordans. They were high on my list and then I heard it wasn't first come first served at which point I said gently caress it. I kinda wanted the Green Jordan but other than that, it would have been better if they had different corp members instead of just palette swapped Jordans.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's like 4 or 5 waves of Blackest Night figures coming from the various Corps, at least.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

mods rename me posted:

Someone on the MOTU boards posted a picture of some guy who had 3 cases of He-ro's and like 20 of the books, whom was refered to as Scalp-or for the remainder of the convention. The whole Scalp-or story is summed up here
http://www.poeghostal.com/2009/07/attack-of-scalp-or-at-sdcc.html

I gave a friend of mine money to get me a wonder twins. Her report was that it was that the Mattel booth was unorganized chaos. Preview night, there was a line around the floor that didn't move for 4 hours until the convention center closed, some people got "fastpass" tickets to come back the next day some didn't. Apparently the next day, some people running the booth didn't even know what the "fastpass" thing was, whereas some people were turned away for not having a fast pass. Some people waited in line for 30 minutes, some for 5 hours. By the end of the day on Thursday, Mattel had completely sold out of Gleeks and closed down their booth for the entirety of friday. They opened back up on Saturday and were sold out of almost all of the exclusives. They had plenty of blender-arm cyborgs though.

It was apparently complete chaos and she only happened to get me a wonder twins set because she found some guy who had 2 during a panel and flirted with him to buy it from him. Most of the people on other boards said that if they got what they wanted it was by complete happenstance.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 3, 2009

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Fish Of Doom posted:

Someone on the MOTU boards posted a picture of some guy who had 3 cases of He-ro's and like 20 of the books, whom was refered to as Scalp-or for the remainder of the convention. The whole Scalp-or story is summed up here
http://www.poeghostal.com/2009/07/attack-of-scalp-or-at-sdcc.html

I gave a friend of mine money to get me a wonder twins. Her report was that it was that the Mattel booth was unorganized chaos. Preview night, there was a line around the floor that didn't move for 4 hours until the convention center closed, some people got "fastpass" tickets to come back the next day some didn't. Apparently the next day, some people running the booth didn't even know what the "fastpass" thing was, whereas some people were turned away for not having a fast pass. Some people waited in line for 30 minutes, some for 5 hours. By the end of the day on Thursday, Mattel had completely sold out of Gleeks and closed down their booth for the entirety of friday. They opened back up on Saturday and were sold out of almost all of the exclusives. They had plenty of blender-arm cyborgs though.

It was apparently complete chaos and she only happened to get me a wonder twins set because she found some guy who had 2 during a panel and flirted with him to buy it from him. Most of the people on other boards said that if they got what they wanted it was by complete happenstance.
Holy crap. And I always thought Hasbro was the big joke. At least I knew I needed a ticket and where to get that ticket from moment one with Hasbro.

I did visit the Mattel booth on Sunday and was able to at least get a Buzz Lightyear without any hassle but by the sounds of it, the whole thing was a massive trainwreck.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Whoa, I typed poorly :(

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I deliberately avoided getting into this in my last complaining-about-toy-companies post because it's such a dumb nerd rage thing, but I have been pissed at Mattel for a long time over their handling of my favorite toy line ever, the Masters of the Universe relaunch in 2002... the line was flying off the shelves until they decided to churn out case after case of idiotic candy-colored rehashes instead of new characters, at which point it just immediately died. Big surprise.

They treated collectors like poo poo then, trying to cater to some imaginary other market, and now that they realized their mistake they're just treating us like poo poo again with this blatantly overpriced "matty collector" bullshit... and I'm miffed that it's these assholes, of all people, that are finally making the Ghostbusters figures I've wanted since I was 7, and I just don't even want to give them the satisfaction of buying any. Matty collector can go to hell.

Blah blah nerd rage.

My Joker custom job is coming along nicely, though...

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I deliberately avoided getting into this in my last complaining-about-toy-companies post because it's such a dumb nerd rage thing, but I have been pissed at Mattel for a long time over their handling of my favorite toy line ever, the Masters of the Universe relaunch in 2002... the line was flying off the shelves until they decided to churn out case after case of idiotic candy-colored rehashes instead of new characters, at which point it just immediately died. Big surprise.

They treated collectors like poo poo then, trying to cater to some imaginary other market, and now that they realized their mistake they're just treating us like poo poo again with this blatantly overpriced "matty collector" bullshit... and I'm miffed that it's these assholes, of all people, that are finally making the Ghostbusters figures I've wanted since I was 7, and I just don't even want to give them the satisfaction of buying any. Matty collector can go to hell.

Blah blah nerd rage.

I feel this way about Hasbro. I'm gotten very tired of the poor QC and "how many times can we repaint Bumblebee or G1 Prime" its loving pathetic. I know the molds are expensive, I know they have ot make the money back but gently caress all if I'm tired of the poo poo clogging the shelves. The Ghostbusters line I have to have though, I don't care if Mattel takes the money I spend on it and burns it to light their hundreds to light their cigars, its a line I've always wanted.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

That's some fine nerd rage but I agree. I was gonna get into the new stuff but I missed Greyskull. Now it's just too much for me right now, so I'm dumping my old stuff even.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Click here for the full 472x709 image.
(from toyhaven)
holy carp I thought this Ma.K masterpiece edition was really cool until I hit the price... $1050.

Of course then I read that it's limited to 600 pieces and the both the bot and the girl come with a bunch of accessories, which makes a little more sense. I guess I'm not cut out for the big leagues if something like this still surprises me.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Vaporware posted:

Click here for the full 472x709 image.
(from toyhaven)
holy carp I thought this Ma.K masterpiece edition was really cool until I hit the price... $1050.

Of course then I read that it's limited to 600 pieces and the both the bot and the girl come with a bunch of accessories, which makes a little more sense. I guess I'm not cut out for the big leagues if something like this still surprises me.

Don't worry, that's ludicrous for a 12" figure, a mediocre one at that. Unless it was limited to like 50.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

mods rename me posted:

That's some fine nerd rage but I agree. I was gonna get into the new stuff but I missed Greyskull. Now it's just too much for me right now, so I'm dumping my old stuff even.

I haven't touched that new MotU stuff at all. The 2002 line was so beautifully sculpted, every figure was like a little work of art... and to me the new figures are just plain ugly, so they only add insult to injury.

I'll probably end up buying the Ghostbusters figures, but I'm not gonna go fighting tooth and nail for the exclusive versions, that's for sure. I still have all the awesome monsters that NECA made a few years ago, so all I need are the 4 basic busters and I'm golden.

rally9x
Feb 2, 2005
That hot glue idea is awesome.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I've liked the new figures so far but I really liked the 2002 ones. But I'm about to sell my collection of em for a SECOND time.

Bandit64
Oct 22, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Entertainment Earth's having their summer sale

They have a bunch of the DC Universe figures on sale. Some Marvel too, but not as much. Not too many statues this time around, unfortunately.

rally9x
Feb 2, 2005

Vaporware posted:

I thought this Ma.K masterpiece edition was really cool until I hit the price... $1050.

Seriously their are DC Universe figures better than that one.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I'm curious to see your's. I worked on mine a little more this weekend. I think this is about as good as I can get it.

Also did a Two-Face custom, cause I'm not paying $29 for one through Matty. Still need to clean up the necktie a bit.

Edit: Daredevil, too. This is a really good figure that hasbro just didn't give enough of a sit to give it a decent paintjob. I did the makeup technique on his face, and it looks awesome.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 5, 2009

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
If anyone needs a DCUC Giganta head and lower torso, PM me.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
Heads up, BSG Collectors: That Entertainment Earth sale includes the Apollo/Duala 2-pack for $13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Oh I never even found a Two Face. When is matty selling the movie masters version?

I customed my Joker too.. the original paintjob was atrocious.

... then I made myself Wolverine Bone Claws..