Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn
I did a format and after installing the new itunes I get this stupid thing where if I listen to more than 5 seconds of a song next time I go back to the song it starts there, my iPod does it as well and I hate it, I can't seem to find a way to disable it?

And is there a way to get iTunes to STOP asking me to pay for their stupid update every time I sync it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

I did a format and after installing the new itunes I get this stupid thing where if I listen to more than 5 seconds of a song next time I go back to the song it starts there, my iPod does it as well and I hate it, I can't seem to find a way to disable it?

And is there a way to get iTunes to STOP asking me to pay for their stupid update every time I sync it?
There's a flag to "remember playback position" but normally you have to manually turn it on, on a per-file basis. No idea why it suddenly appeared on your entire library.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can disable automatic update checks via the help menu.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Lazlo Nibble posted:

My bet is that the Gen-3 Touch will basically be an iPhone 3GS without any of the phone bits. It's in Apple's interest to keep the Touch's feature list as close to the iPhone's as possible.

That's what I'm hoping their plan is. I've been really happy with my 1G, so while the extra speed and RAM would be nice, as would the rumored microphone, that's probably not enough for me to want to upgrade just yet. If the rumors are true and they do include a camera, I'd seriously consider it. If they do that and add a GPS receiver and compass as well, it would pretty much be a matter of "do I get it on launch day or not?"

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
I'd be surprised if Apple included GPS and Compass in the Touch, but I guess it's possible. The camera and mic seemed unlikely at first but those are both nearly confirmed. It's possible Apple sees the Touch having potential as a VOIP phone.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I read a story that mentioned that OS 3.1 is in the works. Do iPod Touch users have to pay for incremental OS updates, or just the major versions?

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Karthe posted:

I read a story that mentioned that OS 3.1 is in the works. Do iPod Touch users have to pay for incremental OS updates, or just the major versions?

Only the major updates. The incremental updates are free.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The only things that would get me to buy a new touch is GPS or the iPhone's battery shoved into the touch. My 1G has decent battery life but I figure I can go a while without charging if I had the battery from a 3GS. I honestly don't see the use for a camera on the touch unless it's a front-facing camera. Yay, I can take mediocre pictures on my touch now! Front-facing camera would be nice for video calling and such. But a regular camera on the back of the device? No thanks. GPS would be useful as I'd like to be able to use some GPS navigation (hopefully there'll be an offline GPS navigation app).

moondabor
Oct 23, 2003

Nyoro~n MUSASHI
Getting some weird issues with my iPod touch. Every entry for music sorting is under 123. Has anyone ran into this problem?

edit: Issue seemed to resolved itself.

moondabor fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jul 25, 2009

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

xamphear posted:

There's a flag to "remember playback position" but normally you have to manually turn it on, on a per-file basis. No idea why it suddenly appeared on your entire library.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can disable automatic update checks via the help menu.

Thanks, by the way, can anybody recommend solid set of earphones? All the cheapish ones I tend to buy tend to fail in one earphone after 2-3 months, what causes this and how can I know a set wont do it?

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

Thanks, by the way, can anybody recommend solid set of earphones? All the cheapish ones I tend to buy tend to fail in one earphone after 2-3 months, what causes this and how can I know a set wont do it?

I use the Sennheiser CX 300 Mk II canal buds (Amazon link), and for $60, you simply can't get better sound quality. They're even better than some ear buds that are twice the price. They sound pretty awesome out of the box and get better after a couple weeks of use.

Maybe the sets you've owned previously failed because they were cheap? How rough were you on them?

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

toxick posted:

I use the Sennheiser CX 300 Mk II canal buds (Amazon link), and for $60, you simply can't get better sound quality. They're even better than some ear buds that are twice the price. They sound pretty awesome out of the box and get better after a couple weeks of use.

Maybe the sets you've owned previously failed because they were cheap? How rough were you on them?

I usually didn't drop more than 20-30 dollars on earphones, these last ones where like maybe 15 dollars or so I think. I take pretty good care of my earphones and electronic in general, but of course theres the odd time here and there they got caught on something, but in terms of stress that made me go "oh poo poo that might've done some damage" I can't see it happening more than 3 times over the last 4 months or so.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Those JVC Gummy ear buds sound nice, clear, and natural all while costing $9. I have a pair of older Sure in ears (back when I worked at Worst Buy I found out how horrible markups are on "audiophile" stuff) and those are the only headphones I've personally used I would rank above the Gummies, if that helps.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004
Look for build quality around where the cable meets the jack, as that will be where the cable breaks the majority of the time. The rubber bits around the cable at the jack should "wiggle", if its really stiff then there's more stress on the cable whenever it moves. It's always going to happen eventually though, you can only bend a wire back and forth so many times until it breaks.

If you're comfortable with soldering you could put on a new jack, its fairly easy.

I use shure e2c earphones. I got them ages ago and they sound awesome and have held up amazingly well, but I don't really use them that often anymore since my ipod is generally only used in my car these days.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I know some more expensive brands of earbuds have removable cables, so when it breaks at the jack you can just swap it out for a few bucks instead of buying a whole new pair of buds.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
I recently got a cheap and unused 2G iPod touch from a friend and was crestfallen to bring it home and find that I would have to spend another ten dollars to upgrade the firmware.
Since I plan on jailbreaking it I was wondering if I should purchase upgrade from 2.2.1 to 3 or just let it sit, the splash page that was on iTunes really showed me nothing that I especially want or need in 3.0 but there is always something that I miss and I'm afraid of doing a bunch of work with 2.2.1 and then finding that everything I want requires the 3.0 firmmware.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Vhak lord of hate posted:

I recently got a cheap and unused 2G iPod touch from a friend and was crestfallen to bring it home and find that I would have to spend another ten dollars to upgrade the firmware.
Since I plan on jailbreaking it I was wondering if I should purchase upgrade from 2.2.1 to 3 or just let it sit, the splash page that was on iTunes really showed me nothing that I especially want or need in 3.0 but there is always something that I miss and I'm afraid of doing a bunch of work with 2.2.1 and then finding that everything I want requires the 3.0 firmmware.

i used 3.0 for a little while and rolled back to 2.2.1. For me at least there weren't really any must have or even semi-appealing features added and it hosed up support for my car integration kit.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I read an article somewhere that said 3.0 severly slowed down basic functions on the Touch. The only thing it seems is worthwhile is copy and paste

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

LaptopGun posted:

The only thing it seems is worthwhile is copy and paste

I also appreciate the ability to remember usernames and passwords. Comes in handy when I have to re-authenticate on the university network every 3 hours.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

LaptopGun posted:

I read an article somewhere that said 3.0 severly slowed down basic functions on the Touch. The only thing it seems is worthwhile is copy and paste

I use the bluetooth capability a lot too. Working out at the gym now is a lot more enjoyable without the ipod on me.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

I forgot about the Bluetooth actually being switched on now. Sorry. I thought the credential memory thing didn't work half the time. I think I've read too much stuff and getting confused

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...
I sold my jailbroken 2g and did a "erase all data" thing. It has been over an hour and all I am seeing is the apple logo and the "busy" circle thing. Is it broken? Will this erase the jailbreak? :ohdear:

Update: iTunes and Windows Explorer can't detect it...

Update 2: Doing dfu and re-jailbreaking etc.

Genewiz fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 28, 2009

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

LaptopGun posted:

Search is the only thing that's decent for me in 3.0. It's handy for looking up songs instead of having to go through 3 or 4 steps just to get to one song or scrolling for forever when looking in the songs list. Plus it makes making on-the-go playlists easy now.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

LaptopGun posted:

If you're on a 1G Touch (I am) which doesn't have a Bluetooth radio, that plus search are really about it and 3.0 really is noticeably slower than 2.x, even unjailbroken 3.0 vs. jailbroken 2.x. It sucked to have to upgrade in order to continue to be able to buy new apps.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
I appreciate the fact that safari can finally open links into new windows unless that was something they sneaked in that I never noticed.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Howdy, anyone get a headphone/mic combo going on the ipod touch? My shure headphones are starting to disintegrate (3 years of hard daily use, I can't fault em) and I was thinking of going with something like the etymotic hf2.

Anyone happen to try those out? Or have other good headphone/mic combos to recommend?

amiches
Oct 3, 2004
grand opening grand closing
Something's wrong with my headphone jack - the left channel keeps cutting out while I'm walking, running, or otherwise moving the ipod. It's not the headphones - it's done it with all three pair I own. It's only started doing this in the last week - can I fix it myself? If not, any recommendations for repairs?

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

priznat posted:

Anyone happen to try those out? Or have other good headphone/mic combos to recommend?

I use the Apple In-Ears. I've heard they are pretty good for the price (~$70 at Amazon), considering that they are dual-drivers. I dig them.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Arrowsmith posted:

I use the Apple In-Ears. I've heard they are pretty good for the price (~$70 at Amazon), considering that they are dual-drivers. I dig them.

Oh wow, dual drivers on those? I did not know that! Thanks for that info, I'll check into those too..

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

toxick posted:

I use Sennheiser IE8's with my Touch. I'd been using Sleek Audio SA6's previously and had been really disappointed with the quality. The IE8's really bring the sound out though and I've found myself using the touch as a primary music player again, rather than just for listening to podcasts.

The IE7's are supposed to be really good too, and they are a lot cheaper.

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

What cases are you guys using on these things? Or has the construction improved so that the back does not end up scratched to hell after a day or two in a purse.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Eunabomber posted:

What cases are you guys using on these things? Or has the construction improved so that the back does not end up scratched to hell after a day or two in a purse.

I actually found the neoprene carry case that comes with my western digital 2.5" usb drive works fantastically for the ipod touch. Has a little pocket to keep the touch separate from the headphones, isn't too bulky and provides great protection.

I don't like the form fitting silicone/plastic cases personally.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I'm sure you guys have answered this a million times, but after a bit of searching, I can't seem to find the answer.

How do I get podcasts that I downloaded from somewhere OTHER than iTunes register as podcasts IN iTunes/on my iPod Touch? They just get classified as generic "music" files now, regardless of how they're tagged.

punkr0csux
May 1, 2008
I recently upgraded to 3.0 firmware. I really hope that they can fix bluetooth pairing. I'm have yet to encounter any of the wifi horror stories though, the feature seems to work as intended (connect to a hotspot and it will be remembered wherever you go).

My biggest problem is that my battery has been acting funktacular. Anything from amount of life left to charge time is not even close to the range it used to be. Should I switch back to the 2.2.1 or wait for an update?

edit: learned to use my words

punkr0csux fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 4, 2009

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I'm sure you guys have answered this a million times, but after a bit of searching, I can't seem to find the answer.

How do I get podcasts that I downloaded from somewhere OTHER than iTunes register as podcasts IN iTunes/on my iPod Touch? They just get classified as generic "music" files now, regardless of how they're tagged.

I had this problem (downloaded a back-catalog of podcasts in bulk) and the only way I found was to serve them up from a web server running on the same machine as if it was a normal podcast feed.

Complete overkill, but I couldn't find any easier way of doing it.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

punkr0csux posted:

I really hope that they can fix bluetooth pairing.
What sort of pairing problems are you having? I've got my ipod paired with 2 sets of headphones, my car and my pc at work without any problems along the way.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Are songs/etc. that I've already purchased tied to my itunes account? I recently had to restore my ipod touch and lost all the music that was on it. It had been awhile since I'd last done a sync so not all of the music I'd recently purchased had made it over to my HD and I dont want to have to purchase all that stuff again.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Are songs/etc. that I've already purchased tied to my itunes account? I recently had to restore my ipod touch and lost all the music that was on it. It had been awhile since I'd last done a sync so not all of the music I'd recently purchased had made it over to my HD and I dont want to have to purchase all that stuff again.

If you email iTunes support and ask really nicely, they will probably let you redownload your purchased songs ONCE.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Eunabomber posted:

I'm using SwitchEasy's Neotouch combined with the BestSkinEver and I feel wonderfully protected. The Neotouch can be a little hard to get on, but once it is on I feel it provides some really solid protection.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
Can someone tell me how to make itunes see files as podcasts? 90% of the podcasts I download, along with books, lectures and old radio shows play as regular music files and I keep loosing my place.

Also, I flipped through the thread but didn't see anything, is there a better way to get files on and off the player? I really dislike itunes (1st gen touch).

On the case question above, I have a speck case and think its one of the better ones out there. Most cases just protect against cosmetic scratches but the Speck armor case I got has thick knurls along the edge to absorb impacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

False posted:

Can someone tell me how to make itunes see files as podcasts? 90% of the podcasts I download, along with books, lectures and old radio shows play as regular music files and I keep loosing my place.

SFrost007 posted:

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I had this problem (downloaded a back-catalog of podcasts in bulk) and the only way I found was to serve them up from a web server running on the same machine as if it was a normal podcast feed.

Complete overkill, but I couldn't find any easier way of doing it.

(5 posts ago)

• Locked thread