Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

Slim Pickens posted:

I've worn off my chicken strips and actually drug my toe on the last good ride I did, but I still haven't put a knee down. I almost feel inferior for not doing so.

Try getting knee down on different bikes, before you despair. I found it to be easiest on old, slow and low bikes with soft suspension. For instance, on my old CBR F4 I scraped pegs and knees without too much effort. On my ZX10, which has higher peg position and extremely stiff suspension, I feel like I'll have to go much faster (pants making GBS threads fast) in the corners on the track to get knee down... which I suppose is a good thing, as it shows how much unused potential the bike still has for a very casual track day dude (once a year) like myself.

e: To contribute:

Around the world on two 70 year old Nimbus bikes. "The dumb way around". These guys rule: http://www.kccd.no/home_en.html

Rnr fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Aug 4, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slim Pickens posted:

I've worn off my chicken strips and actually drug my toe on the last good ride I did, but I still haven't put a knee down. I almost feel inferior for not doing so.

Dont even worry about it on the street. If you're dragging knee on the street you're just being a danger to others.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can't find anything about this bike online, but I read about it in Performance Bikes, an awesome British magazine my dad gets. Here's a scan of it, a speed triple 1050 called the triple x.

The power on this bike was upped 50hp to 171. The builder, Bjorn Gericke, fitted it with top shelf WP suspension and reduced the weight to 187 kg(412 lbs). In all, he spent about 35,000 euros on the bike.

Bjorn posted:

Why do I love this bike? My best moment on it was exiting onto a straight next to a GSX-R1000 and getting this huge induction noise as I opened the throttle. Then I looked at the guy on the GSX-R, he's looking over at me and he's wondering why he's not pulling away. It was like that for almost the whole straight until about 130 mph when the aerodynamics took affect..."

Edit: I'm a dumbass

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 4, 2009

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Slim Pickens posted:

Can't find anything about this bike online, but I read about it in Performance Bikes, an awesome British magazine my dad gets. Here's a scan of it, a speed triple 1050 called the triple x.

The power on this bike was upped from 50hp to 171. The builder, Bjorn Gericke, fitted it with top shelf WP suspension and reduced the weight to 187 kg(412 lbs). In all, he spent about 35,000 euros on the bike.

I find it really impressive that the stock engine has so much untapped potential. I'm not too familiar with performance tuning and the extra power that can be expected from it, but Jesus, 120 extra hp is a lot from a 3-cylinder engine.

There's no way it was only 50hp stock. Maybe it's up 50 hp from stock, which would be in the 120-130 range.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Buy a Harley, get a free gun!

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

There's no way it was only 50hp stock. Maybe it's up 50 hp from stock, which would be in the 120-130 range.

Yep, right around 130hp stock.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, misread that. Still a pretty cool bike, though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slim Pickens posted:

I can say with 99% certainty it's because you're sticking your knee forward rather than out. Getting a knee down has nothing to do with anything except body positioning. If you position your knee right you can get a knee down in a parking lot. If you do it wrong you can have the frame sliders dragging before it'll go down.

And contrary to popular belief, knee down doesn't equal fast. The video I linked is me showing exactly how little lean is needed to get a knee down...maybe 25 degrees? Most people lean more than that when they're having fun.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 4, 2009

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Buy a Harley, get a free gun!

Awesome. I thought it was going to be a serious video, but this is funny.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Z3n posted:

I can say with 99% certainty it's because you're sticking your knee forward rather than out. Getting a knee down has nothing to do with anything except body positioning. If you position your knee right you can get a knee down in a parking lot. If you do it wrong you can have the frame sliders dragging before it'll go down.

And contrary to popular belief, knee down doesn't equal fast. The video I linked is me showing exactly how little lean is needed to get a knee down...maybe 25 degrees? Most people lean more than that when they're having fun.

I'm sure it's all body position. I don't shift my weight to the edge like I should.

Net Boners
Mar 2, 2002

did you go to town with hot wheel tracks, Joan Quinn?

Z3n posted:

Getting a knee down has nothing to do with anything except body positioning.

So true. At my first and only track day so far I nearly scraped the curb feelers on my pegs off but never got my knee down. I chalked it up to bad body position.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Oh godddddddddddd :flashfap:

$45,000

:eng99:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

8ender posted:

Got the photos back from my wedding. I think every wedding should have bikes

Your post immediately made me think of this guy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VABQbps8n5w

But you totally should be. Goddamn is it cool.

(Actually, it's just really fun. It's super pointless on the street.)

GAH. Everytime I see someone drag knee I yearn to figure out how it's done.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ari.gato posted:

Come out to the Socal AI BBQ and I'll teach you how to do it in a parking lot. :v:

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

ari.gato posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCg3BMGe52M

e: chuffed to bits.

Zenaida fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 5, 2009

RichBomb
Nov 16, 2004
a strange and terrible saga

Doctor Zero posted:

Oh godddddddddddd :flashfap:

$45,000

:eng99:

My credit card number ends in 1098. It kills me every time to see it.

Also

doo doo doo wrench wrench wrench oh god wasps

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Click here for the full 802x602 image.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
What the Can-Am Spyder wishes it saw in the mirror every time it vomits up a caesar salad.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Conceiled carry permit? Yea I've got one *blasts off into the sunset*

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Mercator posted:

Conceiled carry permit? Yea I've got one *blasts off into the sunset*

I don't think that's very concealed, more like open carry.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

One handed draw, shoot and cock action while doing a wheelie permit.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Ola posted:

One handed draw, shoot and cock action while doing a wheelie permit.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
One day, one day...

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

blugu64 posted:

Get out of my head.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

blugu64 posted:

This is what I think of every time You Could Be Mine comes on my iPod while I'm riding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C2dGRoaZ1A

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

Come out to the Socal AI BBQ and I'll teach you how to do it in a parking lot. :v:

Done and done. Is there a thread about that?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ari.gato posted:

Done and done. Is there a thread about that?

It's in AI...on the 23rd.

Edit: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3165374

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 5, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
there seems to be a problem with my transmission bearing :crossarms:

oddly enough all the other ones felt fairly smooth.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Use the leftover balls to make a Newton's cradle, I'm sure you can source the remaining bits from other Guzzi parts.

"What the hell, why is there a puddle of oil on my office desk?"

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

blugu64 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxCR5KA47kU

mutha-fuckin' Tex Cobb :clint:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

frozenphil posted:

One day, one day...

I wonder if you could get a more gay picture.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Aargh posted:

The picture of those two guys in the miata immediately comes to mind.

I can't help but think that cat is just going to spray that guy right in the face >,<

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Aargh posted:

What? That picture is awesome.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Aargh posted:

I don't think "gay" means what you think it means.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I think it's the plywood sheeting at the back that really sets off the whole ensemble.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I think it's the plywood sheeting at the back that really sets off the whole ensemble.

Wait... where's the engine? Is it in the car front end? :psyduck:

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

I don't think "gay" means what you think it means.

Definitions of gay on the Web:

* cheery: bright and pleasant; promoting a feeling of cheer; "a cheery hello"; "a gay sunny room"; "a sunny smile"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Don't need no stinkin' trailer.