Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Haha you just customized YOURSELF!

I'm almost done with the Joker. You guys are gonna like it. I told myself I wasn't gonna gently caress with the head sculpt, but in typical me fashion I ended up making a few little alterations. As long as I'm doing something I'm gonna do it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ugh. I haven't bought a figure outside of the NECA Ninja Turtles since 2005 or so, and I was all set to get Buzz Lightyear and Egon from Matty.

$40 for a 3 3/4" figure and a 6" figure with one accessory. Yeah, eat a dick Mattel.

ps i miss palisades

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

Jet Ready Go posted:

... then I made myself Wolverine Bone Claws..

What in the loving gently caress? For a party? I guess you could order a pizza and wear them to the door.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Captain Charisma posted:

ps i miss palisades

We all do. :smith:

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How do the claws stay on your hands?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

bgaesop posted:

nerd magnets

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I realize this might be old news to most people, but this was the coolest thing I saw out of everything toy-related from Comic-Con, from the JLU line:

Click here for the full 1000x993 image.

Not to mention the Marvel Family set, the Justice Guild set, the Doom Patrol set, Superman Red and Blue, Plastic Man, Amanda Waller, classic Aquaman, Cyborg, OMAC, the Crime Syndicate...the JLU series is now a better DC Universe line than Super Powers ever was.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Liberal Idiot posted:

I realize this might be old news to most people, but this was the coolest thing I saw out of everything toy-related from Comic-Con, from the JLU line:

Click here for the full 1000x993 image.

Not to mention the Marvel Family set, the Justice Guild set, the Doom Patrol set, Superman Red and Blue, Plastic Man, Amanda Waller, classic Aquaman, Cyborg, OMAC, the Crime Syndicate...the JLU series is now a better DC Universe line than Super Powers ever was.

When the heck is Amanda Waller coming out? They've been showing her off for what feels like forever.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Captain Charisma posted:

ps i miss palisades

I still stand by that they made the only mass retail figures that couldn't be improved on. What else did they do that was awesome besides Muppets and Zim?

Edit: Oh poo poo, Army of Darkness, Resident Evil. Aw, tone.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 5, 2009

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fish Of Doom posted:

I still stand by that they made the only mass retail figures that couldn't be improved on. What else did they do that was awesome besides Muppets and Zim?

The Buffy Palz were really cool.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Well, one of the properties that dragged them under was micronauts. It was awesome when the figures weren't broken in the package.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Fish Of Doom posted:

Resident Evil, Pink Panther, Adult Swim toys. What I wouldn't give for them to give me Metalocalypse and Venture Bros figures.

Actually I just want a line of Venture Bros figures really bad. Why that hasn't been done is beyond me.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Haha you just customized YOURSELF!

:chord:

Donde Esta posted:

What in the loving gently caress? For a party? I guess you could order a pizza and wear them to the door.

I.. have a lot of spare time on my hands.

bgaesop posted:

The same way the movie ones stay on Jackman's, there's metal wiring that goes under the claw and into the palm of my hand.

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico

Jet Ready Go posted:

:chord:

I.. have a lot of spare time on my hands.

The same way the movie ones stay on Jackman's, there's metal wiring that goes under the claw and into the palm of my hand.

My only nitpick is that in comics and movies the bone claws are usually round, like bone, and dont have that thin squared-off look

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Vaporware posted:

Well, one of the properties that dragged them under was micronauts. It was awesome when the figures weren't broken in the package.

Micronauts wasn't nearly as bad a tragedy as the Army of Darkness figures ... that first batch was complete poo poo and came at a really bad time when the company was suffering, and a lot of replacements had to be sent out. I think the final total was almost like 60% of the stuff released the Suncoast/Musicland was returned. That was about the time that whole franchise crashed down anyway ... unfortunately Nicktoons toys couldn't keep the company afloat much longer.

Micronauts had huge problems too, but that was mostly in the past when they hired me, I was all Palz, Props, Zim, Fairly Odd Parents ... they had some cool stuff in 6" scale since Marvel Legends was the thing then, there was a Planet of the Apes and Terminator line that was sculpted but never made it out.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Satch posted:

My only nitpick is that in comics and movies the bone claws are usually round, like bone, and dont have that thin squared-off look

You know what? I agree based on their continuity.. but it never sat right with me that round bone claws + adamantium = razor sharp blades.

It's my personal issue that the bone claws should have been thin and knife like.. maybe even fairly brittle when the adamantium was stripped away. Even when I was in JHS and wolvie's metal was first taken out.. I thought his bone claws should have been like those ivory letter openers.

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico

Jet Ready Go posted:

You know what? I agree based on their continuity.. but it never sat right with me that round bone claws + adamantium = razor sharp blades.

It's my personal issue that the bone claws should have been thin and knife like.. maybe even fairly brittle when the adamantium was stripped away. Even when I was in JHS and wolvie's metal was first taken out.. I thought his bone claws should have been like those ivory letter openers.

I entirely agree! It never made much sense that the adamantium straightened and narrowed the bones. Makes you wonder if all his bones are narrow and squared off like that.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah the artists were extremely inconsistant with wolverine's bone claws. I could buy them being kind of gnarled on the hand that they got snapped off, but all across Marvel people were going buck wild on some bone claws.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Djarum posted:

Resident Evil, Pink Panther, Adult Swim toys. What I wouldn't give for them to give me Metalocalypse and Venture Bros figures.

Actually I just want a line of Venture Bros figures really bad. Why that hasn't been done is beyond me.

Doesn't Shocker own the VB license?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Joe Fisto posted:

Doesn't Shocker own the VB license?

I think so, so don't expect products ever.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

mods rename me posted:

I think so, so don't expect products ever.

Yup.

Why on earth would anyone give Shocker a license is beyond me. You would think someone like NECA would scoop that sucker up since it is pretty much a license to print money. Venture Bros figures can be pretty profitable too since you can do lots of repaints/army building and it is all in continuity.

rally9x
Feb 2, 2005
Maybe they filed down his claws and then sealed them with adamantium!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I always thought Wolverine's claws were like any animal's "claws". Smooth, much like nails. The whole making them jagged bone is just stupid and makes no sense.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Satsuki posted:

Micronauts wasn't nearly as bad a tragedy as the Army of Darkness figures ... that first batch was complete poo poo and came at a really bad time when the company was suffering, and a lot of replacements had to be sent out. I think the final total was almost like 60% of the stuff released the Suncoast/Musicland was returned. That was about the time that whole franchise crashed down anyway ... unfortunately Nicktoons toys couldn't keep the company afloat much longer.

Micronauts had huge problems too, but that was mostly in the past when they hired me, I was all Palz, Props, Zim, Fairly Odd Parents ... they had some cool stuff in 6" scale since Marvel Legends was the thing then, there was a Planet of the Apes and Terminator line that was sculpted but never made it out.

Ren and Stimpy was a fantastic line, and Sesame Street was looking like it'd be very good.

I think a lack of QC towards the end (Super Beaker and AOD were nightmares), being way too creative (the glut of stupid in house stuff like the urbanized anthropomorphic animals; AOD Series 2 in blind boxes), and the rising costs of oil ultimately just combined for one killing blow. They were operating like they had the money and popularity of Hasbro with the budget and popularity of...well, Palisades.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Djarum posted:

I always thought Wolverine's claws were like any animal's "claws". Smooth, much like nails. The whole making them jagged bone is just stupid and makes no sense.

They've more or less fixed this with Daken (except for when artists draw him with metal claws by mistake) and made them much more nail/claw like than bone.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dacap posted:

They've more or less fixed this with Daken (except for when artists draw him with metal claws by mistake) and made them much more nail/claw like than bone.

What the hell, there's another teenager with claws now?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's Wolverine's son.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
psssht, any character created after 1991 is dead to me.

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico

Dacap posted:

I guess I read the issue of Origins wrong, but didn't Daken get the adamantium treatment? With the whatzit sword in the place of the wrist claw?

I mean I guess not but for whatever reason I thought he did.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aphrodite posted:

That's Wolverine's son.

like actual birth son or like cloned son sent to the future and raised by apocalypse then memories erased and returned to our time kinda deal?

Cause this is marvel we are talking about.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Travis343 posted:

like actual birth son or like cloned son sent to the future and raised by apocalypse then memories erased and returned to our time kinda deal?

His Wikipedia entry says flesh and blood son but he grew to adulthood without Wolverine knowing he had survived his mother's murder (Aka the origin of 90% of all comic book superhero children.)

And of course he's a bad guy.

vvv Edit: I can't keep up with Marvel. Once I started seeing mentions about Muramasa and Dogmen, they've lost me. vvv

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 6, 2009

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

That's Wolverine's son.

Where you been, man? That rear end in a top hat IS Wolverine!

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Captain Charisma posted:

Ren and Stimpy was a fantastic line, and Sesame Street was looking like it'd be very good.

I think a lack of QC towards the end (Super Beaker and AOD were nightmares), being way too creative (the glut of stupid in house stuff like the urbanized anthropomorphic animals; AOD Series 2 in blind boxes), and the rising costs of oil ultimately just combined for one killing blow. They were operating like they had the money and popularity of Hasbro with the budget and popularity of...well, Palisades.

Problem with Ren and Stimpy was that yes it looked great, but it sold like utter poo poo. They paid a small fortune to get the license as well, hoping on the success of the rebooted TV show, and it went no where.

Sesame Street was a hard one to tell because as they were pitching Sesame, the Muppet line was on its last legs. Costs in China were going way up, and without the Suncoast/Musicland chains they had no one willing to buy the bulk of the figures. I think the production run for the last Muppets series was like 5,000 ... it was tiny. it shows though, try finding any color of the three different Lips, especially the white one. We're now paying $20 for reused sculpts from Mattel so it doesn't seem as bad, but Muppets were creeping into the $12 - $14 dollar range, which at the time was completely unheard of and they just couldn't cost out the line. I figured the Sesame Street line would really only cater to the Muppet crowd that had shrunk so much so I didn't see it lasting either if it came out.

My boss Ken was really into Kubricks and thought the blind box thing would take off ... I thought it was dumb, but he the boss. But no one was paying $6 (at the time) for no guarantee of what you were getting. It was sad too, cause the second set of AOD was incredible. They really could have gone somewhere in the 3 3/4" market, they are very similar to the quality of the Mezco stuff in that scale.

I worked our last show which was Wizard World Texas 2005, and the Sesame Street exclusive unpainted Oscar and the rest of the exclusives never showed up because they were never paid for and there were quite a few pissed people. A few months later we were rounded up a week before Christmas and let go, then they sold the company to some distributor who did nothing with it but liquidate the stuff the employees didn't take before they left.

Caesarian Sectarian fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 6, 2009

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

My camera is a piece of real poo poo, but here's one picture that turned out okay:

A few notes: His overcoat in the movie was actually a very vibrant purple, not the washed out blackish-purple they used for the toy. I used layers of dry-brushing to give it a proper lived-in look, and added the makeup stains around the lapels. The pinstripes on his pants were way more subtle than I could actually duplicate at that scale, so I just did a quick vertical dry-brush thing, and it's good enough for me. I used three or four shades of green on his vest, and tried my best to get a decent approximation of the patterns on his shirt and tie. I only put a quick dark wash on the shoes and wallet chain.

For his face I started with a medium gray wash over white, then very carefully laid in darker shades of gray around his eyes. Never pure black. Same with the red on his mouth, I diluted it with gray paint too. The bits of flesh tone were the last step. I painted his hair sandy brown first, then dry-brushed a sickly green over parts of it, then put a dark wash over the whole thing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Satsuki posted:

:words:

Ah yeah, that sounds familiar. My friend who also worked at Palisades told me the same thing. Everyone really liked Ken but he made a couple of daft mistakes and it all came tumbling down. It's very sad, they were putting out a lot of nice product.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Satsuki posted:

Problem with Ren and Stimpy was that yes it looked great, but it sold like utter poo poo. They paid a small fortune to get the license as well, hoping on the success of the rebooted TV show, and it went no where.

Sesame Street was a hard one to tell because as they were pitching Sesame, the Muppet line was on its last legs. Costs in China were going way up, and without the Suncoast/Musicland chains they had no one willing to buy the bulk of the figures. I think the production run for the last Muppets series was like 5,000 ... it was tiny. it shows though, try finding any color of the three different Lips, especially the white one. We're now paying $20 for reused sculpts from Mattel so it doesn't seem as bad, but Muppets were creeping into the $12 - $14 dollar range, which at the time was completely unheard of and they just couldn't cost out the line. I figured the Sesame Street line would really only cater to the Muppet crowd that had shrunk so much so I didn't see it lasting either if it came out.

My boss Ken was really into Kubricks and thought the blind box thing would take off ... I thought it was dumb, but he the boss. But no one was paying $6 (at the time) for no guarantee of what you were getting. It was sad too, cause the second set of AOD was incredible. They really could have gone somewhere in the 3 3/4" market, they are very similar to the quality of the Mezco stuff in that scale.

I worked our last show which was Wizard World Texas 2005, and the Sesame Street exclusive unpainted Oscar and the rest of the exclusives never showed up because they were never paid for and there were quite a few pissed people. A few months later we were rounded up a week before Christmas and let go, then they sold the company to some distributor who did nothing with it but liquidate the stuff the employees didn't take before they left.

drat that is sad. I never knew you worked for Palisades. I really wish they were still around.

I am actually surprised about the Muppet stuff slowing down and the lack of interest in the Sesame Street stuff. It looks absolutely incredible. I am still very pissed that I lack a Oscar figure in my life. Perhaps if they went for non traditional places for the Muppet/Sesame stuff it would have found it's audience. Although judging from the prices all that Muppet stuff still commands and how well it sells on the secondhand market there is still a demand for the product.

I think that is the big problem with "niche" or at least non-traditional licensed toys. The people making them have to think out of the box on where to sell them and to get the people who would be interested in them to know and come into contact with them. Palisades was awful at this, I never saw a single Muppet figure ever anywhere. I am amazed NECA stays in business since the only place I have ever seen any of their product is in a corner at a Spencer Gifts (which is another company I am amazed still is around).

Like with a Venture Bros toy line, get some advertising on Adult Swim around the show. The main demographic for the entire programing block is college students. Try to sell them at college books stores and various places like that where your average college student is going to be at. It is a non-traditional market which I am fairly sure would pay off in some profit.

With a Metalocalypse get a exclusive song or clip that is included with every figure. I am pretty sure the guys behind it wouldn't mind and they have a backlog of stuff. You would get people buying the figures to get whatever exclusive thing is included.

The value-plus model is where I have a feeling where niche stuff is going to have to go to keep going. Get a figure, get something else that deals with the license. Be it a key to be able to watch/download a episode/song/dildos of whatever. The stigma of toys only being for kids in this country is still too high so you have to give Kenny-Bob Dildos a reason to still buy the toy even if he thinks it is "gay-homosexual".

Replicant-001
Aug 17, 2004

Satsuki posted:

My boss Ken was really into Kubricks and thought the blind box thing would take off ... I thought it was dumb, but he the boss. But no one was paying $6 (at the time) for no guarantee of what you were getting.

He might have been able to pull it off on the specialty market like Diamond Distributors or EE but no way for the boys aisle mass market. Even then the profits would be pretty slim if it wasn't a super hot property.

Djarum posted:

...I am still very pissed that I lack a Oscar figure in my life.
I have a couple extra of Japanese Oscar figures. PM me your address if you want one.

Djarum posted:

I think that is the big problem with "niche" or at least non-traditional licensed toys. The people making them have to think out of the box on where to sell them and to get the people who would be interested in them to know and come into contact with them. Palisades was awful at this, I never saw a single Muppet figure ever anywhere. I am amazed NECA stays in business since the only place I have ever seen any of their product is in a corner at a Spencer Gifts (which is another company I am amazed still is around).

All of this falls under the umbrella of Licensing and I totally agree with you. From what I hear, NECA gets a lot of play because they have the money and the some of the movies properties they choose are not being used in the mainstream. They aren't new new properties per say.

Replicant-001 fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 6, 2009

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I miss Palisades too. I will always treasure my Pink Panther action figure. Who else would ever make one?

Here is my best attempt at a close-up shot of Joker:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I miss Palisades too. I will always treasure my Pink Panther action figure. Who else would ever make one?

Here is my best attempt at a close-up shot of Joker:

Looks good, that head is just not salvageable I feel. I have seen it repainted by everyone, resculpted and it just always looks bad.

I am just getting 2 jailhouse Jokers and swapping the head on mine with one and saying gently caress it.

Actually I have been trying to get in contact with Mattel and seeing if I can start getting figures to review from them. Let's all cross our fingers. I am pretty sure everyone here would love to read me ranting about how every figure is hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Satch posted:

I guess I read the issue of Origins wrong, but didn't Daken get the adamantium treatment? With the whatzit sword in the place of the wrist claw?

I mean I guess not but for whatever reason I thought he did.

He has a third claw that comes out of the underside of his wrist not shown in this picture. He got the third claw on both hands coated with a melted down piece of the Muramasa blade (a magic sword made out of Wolverine's soul that is the only weapon that can kill people with healing like Wolverine, Sabretooth and Daken :psypop:). They explain that the blades are hidden in sheathes in his forearm so the blades don't kill him when he pops them. The other two claws that come out the tops of his hands are still bone/claw/not metal and his skeleton isn't adamantiumized.

Travis343 posted:

Actual flesh and blood son from wolverine sleeping with a Japanese lady about 70 years ago. Norman Osborne put him in a Wolverine costume and is telling the public he's the real thing.

Dacap fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 6, 2009