Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NumbersAndNoise
Jan 13, 2005

Nothing but numbers and noise.

madlilnerd posted:

It's best not to carry yarn over more than 2 rows or you'll end up with big loose floats at the edges that will get caught on stuff. You could work 2 rows each colour with only 2 colours, or another option would be to use 3 colours and work only 1 row with each- you pick up whichever colour is waiting for you at the end of the row.

If you're using a yarn that felts, just get close to the end of the row, say, a few inches. Measure out your working yarn so that you have about 3 times the length to the end of the row, and cut it. Un-ply the yarn at the end for about an inch, and cut or break off half of the plies at that point. Repeat that last step for the new color. Hold the two ends together, facing each other, with the half-plied parts overlapping. Apply a little water (or spit, if you don't mind being a little gross) and rub the two ends together. They should felt together into a single strand. You may have one or two stitches where both colors are visible, so it depends on the situation, but I do most of my joins this way. Between that and discovering seamless sweaters, I have all but eliminated the weaving in of ends.

If my explanation sucks, try http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2006/01/steeking_chronicles_the_should.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
It's hard enough being on a yarn diet, but MUST Ravelry taunt me with all the pictures of Dye for Glory/Sock Summit entries?!

Were Etsy not down for maintenance, I'd have already ordered that black/orange/purple yarn in the Pooling category. HALLOWEEN SOCKS!

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I have the set of Harmony woodsock DPNs from KnitPicks and am a regular-tightness knitter and they work really well!

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I made a Spockboy

Click here for the full 558x776 image.

(on ravelry)

I'm not entirely pleased with the face (he looks very... scowly). Other than that, I'm really surprised at how well he turned out.

Extinct
Jun 4, 2009

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I made a Spockboy

Click here for the full 558x776 image.

(on ravelry)

I'm not entirely pleased with the face (he looks very... scowly). Other than that, I'm really surprised at how well he turned out.

I think he's quite adorable.

As for the scowliness of the face, well..

Spock isn't really the most smiley of people. I don't think it's very out of character.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Cynodont posted:

I think he's quite adorable.

As for the scowliness of the face, well..

Spock isn't really the most smiley of people. I don't think it's very out of character.

Thanks! And I reckon you're right about the face. Now I can at least claim that he's *in character*.

By the way, is there a SA group on ravelry?

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

By the way, is there a SA group on ravelry?

Yup, it's called Show me your knits. :)

combee
Nov 17, 2007

it's the combee's knees!

combee fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 23, 2013

NumbersAndNoise
Jan 13, 2005

combee posted:

I've got a really dumb question. I did a teeny bit of knitting a few years ago and I'm trying to get back into it, so I'm starting with a simple baby blanket (ravelry link) as a warm-up project.

Since I have no supplies at all I am going all out and buying a fresh set of circular needles and yarn/wool.

The yarn listed, SWTC Tofutsies, is a 3ply yarn. However, there is so much more variation with 4ply yarn at the store I'm planning to buy at. Would it be possible to adjust the pattern and work with 4ply yarn instead, or would it make a huge difference? Would I need to change needle size, too?

EDIT: Also I would like to make little clothes (cardigans etc) for my toys. Should I just look at a normal clothing pattern and adjust yarn/needle/# stitches accordingly?

The pattern uses two strands held together. What you're really looking for is anything that'll give you 4 sts per inch. That's slightly tight worsted weight (10 ply). I'd try it on US 7s, but everyone's gauge is different, so it'll take some trial and error. If you want a looser, lighter blanket, go with DK weight (8 ply).

Don't stress too much about gauge, though. It's a blanket, so it's not like it has to be a perfect fit.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
So how many men do this stuff? Because I actually think it all looks really cool and want to start learning. If I go to a yarn shop and take a class, will I probably be the only guy there? Not that I mind I just want to know how much of an oddity it would be.

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007
As if they could do anything about it!

Chin Strap posted:

So how many men do this stuff? Because I actually think it all looks really cool and want to start learning. If I go to a yarn shop and take a class, will I probably be the only guy there? Not that I mind I just want to know how much of an oddity it would be.

Go for it! Guys who knit are so sexy!

If you're self-conscious about learning with a group of women, it is entirely possible to learn to knit on your own with books like Stitch N Bitch and sites like knittinghelp.com.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I could have sworn some people on SA Mart had knitting services but I thought I'd ask here -

I'm looking to pay someone to knit me a scarf, around 6'-7', based on the Harry Potter movies (juvenile, I know). I noticed a lot of people on etsy make them for $20-$30 but I'd rather consult a goon.

If you're interested in making some extra money on the side please PM me.

combee
Nov 17, 2007

it's the combee's knees!

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
You're doing great! That's the look of every row a knit stitch, usually called garter stitch in the US. When you learn to do purling, you'll knit a row, then purl a row, and you'll get the look you're looking for. Keep it up!

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
I was wondering if someone can help me track down a pattern or just give me instructions. I'm looking to knit a tube thats open on one end and closed on the other. It needs to be about 2-3" in diameter.

Help? :)

edit: I should mention I don't have DPNs and have no idea how to use them anyway

Lackadaisical fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 5, 2009

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

combee posted:

But that looks like a purl stitch to me. Definitely not the V shaped stitches of a knit stitch. I don't know what I'm doing wrong :saddowns:

This confused me to no end when I was just beginning! The backside of a knit stitch is (and looks like) a purl stitch, and vice versa. So when you do a knit stitch and flip your work around, it has magically turned into a purl stitch on the other side. If you push the rows of purl stitches apart you'll be able to see the V shape of knit stitches in the row between them.

If you want to have a side that looks only like knit stitches, do as guaranteed said and alternate rows of knit and purl. You'll end up with one side of entirely knit and the other side of entirely purl stitches. The downside is your item will want to curl up on itself, boo (unless you want it to do that).

combee
Nov 17, 2007

it's the combee's knees!

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Lackadaisical posted:

I was wondering if someone can help me track down a pattern or just give me instructions. I'm looking to knit a tube thats open on one end and closed on the other. It needs to be about 2-3" in diameter.

edit: I should mention I don't have DPNs and have no idea how to use them anyway

DPNs are really what you are going to want for this, but I guess you could use a circular needle too. The beginning is probably going to be hell with a circular needle though so be prepared.

Basically, you want to cast on six stitches and knit in the round. In the first row you want to increase in every single stitch. From there on out, every odd row, you want to increase another six stitches. Evenly spaced, of course, so round three will be like K,increase,K,increase etc. and round five will be K,K,increase,K,K,increase, etc. Even rows should just be plain knit.

Once you've got the diameter you want, you can stop increasing and keep knitting until your tube is as long as you want. Because of the curling that comes with stockinette stitch the "hole" you made at the beginning will more or less seal itself so that it looks perfectly closed.

Note that you can also do this the other way around, starting knitting the "open" end of the tube and then decreasing when you get toward the end. It's harder this way though because you have to plan in advance exactly how many stitches you're going to start with and how you're going to increase. Starting with the "sealed" end is better for the lazy. (like me)

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Lackadaisical posted:

Yeah, the easiest way would be DPNS. They're easy to use though! It's exactly like knitting flat except you have some extra needles acting as stitch holders on the other sides, basically. You only ever knit with two needles at a time, just like you would if you were using straights or circs.

The best thing about dpns is that you can knit down to whatever tiny number of stitches you want, even just three.

Oh, you could do it with two circs too. In that case half the stitches go on each needle and the only rule you need to remember is only use ONE circ at a time to knit - don't knit stitches from one onto the other.

Personally I'd start with the open end and then decrease every other round until it was like three stitches and just sew it up.

Slaughtermelon
Dec 24, 2007
The most metal fruit.
What's a decent knitting speed? I'm self taught and I'm the fastest knitter I know, but even small projects like washcloths take hours. I feel like there has to be a better way to go about this, but I'm not sure what I can change about my technique to get more speed. I mean, people used to be able to dress their entire families in knitted goods and take cartloads of fair isle sweaters down to market somehow.

Continental style is supposed to be faster, and I do notice a difference in speed on large areas of garter stitch. The problem is that I only know how to do the knit stitch in Continental, and most of the stuff I do is more complicated than that so I usually have to knit English style. I don't do that thing where you drop the yarn between every stitch; I have it resting over my index finger and use the other fingers to control the tension. Other than generally speeding up the motions and maybe learning to do everything Continental, is there anything that will help?

NumbersAndNoise
Jan 13, 2005

Slaughtermelon posted:

What's a decent knitting speed? I'm self taught and I'm the fastest knitter I know, but even small projects like washcloths take hours. I feel like there has to be a better way to go about this, but I'm not sure what I can change about my technique to get more speed. I mean, people used to be able to dress their entire families in knitted goods and take cartloads of fair isle sweaters down to market somehow.

Continental style is supposed to be faster, and I do notice a difference in speed on large areas of garter stitch. The problem is that I only know how to do the knit stitch in Continental, and most of the stuff I do is more complicated than that so I usually have to knit English style. I don't do that thing where you drop the yarn between every stitch; I have it resting over my index finger and use the other fingers to control the tension. Other than generally speeding up the motions and maybe learning to do everything Continental, is there anything that will help?

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/purl-stitch

Continental definitely has the potential to be faster, as its a more efficient movement. Whether or not the increase in speed is worth the trouble, only you can know. If you're really going for insane speed and don't mind adjusting, try the combination method. The people who use it swear by it, though it looks like too much of a pain in the rear end for me to want to learn it.

On another note, is anyone else here going to Sock Summit this weekend?

NumbersAndNoise fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 6, 2009

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Slaughtermelon posted:

I find I am much faster if I work knit rows with the yarn in my right hand and purl rows holding the yarn with my left, but I've been told by everyone I know who knits (who I didn't teach) that this is weird.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

I find I am much faster if I work knit rows with the yarn in my right hand and purl rows holding the yarn with my left, but I've been told by everyone I know who knits (who I didn't teach) that this is weird.

You're weird. :v:

I've always found it to be one of those varies from person to person. Some people knit faster one way, some the other. Me, I'm like the slowest knitter I know. I'll take me a month or so for even a small project.

Novs
Jan 24, 2009
I found a pattern in a stitch n' bitch book that uses alchemy synchronicity yarn, a 50% silk 50% wool blend, which apparently isn't sold for anything less than way too much. Any advice on an equivalent and slightly cheaper yarn?

In addition, it's a cabled scarf (it'll be my first try at cabling) and one of the rows has "C8B". What does that even mean?

Novs fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 7, 2009

Antis0ciald0rk
Nov 30, 2002
wtf is this?

Novs posted:

In addition, it's a cabled scarf (it'll be my first try at cabling) and one of the rows has "C8B". What does that even mean?

Pretty sure it means you're going to create the cable with the next 8 stitches and the first half of those stitches should go to the back. If it were C8F you would let the first 4 stitches hang to the front.

A more complete description is that you slide 4 stitches onto a cable needle (stitch holder or dpn can work for that too) without knitting them and let that needle hang towards the back of the work, knit the second 4 stitches, then return the stitches from the cable needle/stitch holder to the needle from which they came and knit them.

Another way you might see cables notated is C8R or C8L meaning the cable twists to the right or left, referring to the part that comes across the front.

Antis0ciald0rk fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 7, 2009

NumbersAndNoise
Jan 13, 2005

madlilnerd posted:

What do you do for ribbing?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

NumbersAndNoise posted:

What do you do for ribbing?

Cry. Because I despise rib.

On rows where I alternate a lot between knitting and purling, I tend to stick with my right hand as I'm right handed. But sometimes I'll use the left. My ribbing is naturally uneven and horrible so I have to stop after every 2 or 3 stitches and give it a huge tug anyway. I definitely can't cover ribbing at speed.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Slaughtermelon posted:

Other than generally speeding up the motions and maybe learning to do everything Continental, is there anything that will help?

Continental is so much faster for me, and it doesn't take long to learn at all. Just cast on 50 or so stitches with waste yarn and start knitting, you'll get the hang of it quite quickly.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
For whatever reason I canNOT do continental or combined. It feels so wrong to my hands. And I have really good hand eye coordination (20+ years of piano).

Oh well. At least I'm decently fast at it the way I do it.

Hannah Banana
Jul 16, 2009

Let me show you the REAL New Deal
Edit: Whoops wrong thread!

Hannah Banana fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 8, 2009

Extinct
Jun 4, 2009

Finished those Jacoby mitts I posted a WIP photo of earlier in the thread. Not as quick as I intended, but sometimes (often) I get distracted and set my knitting down for longer than anticipated.

Action shot! My boyfriend modeling his mitts while wrestling with the corgi!

Obligatory hairy arm shot.

Also, to contribute to the recent discussion: I'm 100% thrower. I've tried continental and it just feels clumsy and awkward to me.

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009
Pitching in: I'm 100% Continental.... English just seems so inefficient to me. I also learned from someone who was a continental knitter and never realized there was "another way" until I started watching technique videos online and noticed they do it all backwards from me...

Let me tell you, the majority of videos are English and it's a pain in the rear end trying to watch how that yarn gets wrapped around in funky stitches so I can translate it to continental. But the videos also usually suck because they either aren't centered, aren't zoomed in, or they put big awful text right over the center of the screen right where their hands are. But I digress...

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
KnittingHelp.com has videos in English, Continental, Combined and even more :)

I'm a thrower; I'm a severe righty and carrying the yarn in my left hand is beyond clumsy to me.

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

I almost gave up on knitting when I was first starting to learn because I was trying to do Continental, and I was just too right-handed to make sense of it. I can kinda knit Continental now, but my gauge is still way looser than English.

Gauge is just fine when crocheting though, go figure.

Gently Used Coat fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 10, 2009

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin
I so *want* to be a continental knitter. I've tried a gazillion times. I watch Amy's videos on KnittingHelp doing continental and marvel at how seamless all the motions are. It is just impossible for me to do. Sigh.

I don't stress about it anymore, though. The deeper I go in researching various knitting things it has become clear that there are 4 million ways to knit and none of them are wrong. Knitting crosses cultures and people combine bits and bobs from all kinds of different styles. It really doesn't matter a bit, I've found. I'm pleased as punch if what I've made even remotely turns out like the picture says it should!

I've started no less than 5 different shawls this weekend and have thrown 4 of them across the room in disgust by row 50. The 5th one has decided it truly wants to be knit and it's going swell. I can't find my camera at the moment, but it's this http://catrinr.typepad.com/everyday_life/2009/07/candle-flame-shawl.html Hopefully it will be a Christmas present for my grandma.

ThreeFish fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 10, 2009

Dyrim
Aug 2, 2005

Damned disreputable.
I'm ambidextrous -- I write and eat with my left hand, and I use scissors with my right. I learned to knit by throwing, then later learned continental. I find that continental goes much faster for larger scale projects, but when I'm new at something, or it's relatively small and intricate, I prefer throwing. Right now I'm knitting using the two-at-a-time on one circular needle method, and I'm throwing all the way. When I build up some confidence, I'll try it in continental.

Here's what I've got so far:

I never throught I'd be able to do this, but it's a lot easier than it looks.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Dyrim posted:

I'm ambidextrous -- I write and eat with my left hand, and I use scissors with my right. I learned to knit by throwing, then later learned continental. I find that continental goes much faster for larger scale projects, but when I'm new at something, or it's relatively small and intricate, I prefer throwing. Right now I'm knitting using the two-at-a-time on one circular needle method, and I'm throwing all the way. When I build up some confidence, I'll try it in continental.

Here's what I've got so far:

I never throught I'd be able to do this, but it's a lot easier than it looks.

Wow, this is my next project for sure. I often lose interest in a sock project after I've finished the first one. I have a lot of single socks in my drawer.

Aaaand I'm continental all the way. Actually, I think that knitting a lot and using my left hand to carry and move the thread has helped me gain more dexterity in my left hand.

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 10, 2009

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Wow, this is my next project for sure. I often lose interest in a sock project after I've finished the first one. I have a lot of single socks in my drawer.

Aaaand I'm continental all the way. Actually, I think that knitting a lot and using my left hand to carry and move the thread has helped me gain more dexterity in my left hand.

It's really easy, once you get past the casting on! I tend to cast on to a separate needle and then slide everything over. All you really have to do is 1. keep track of which ball of yarn goes with which project (otherwise they'll be stuck together) and the usual 'only knit with two ends of one needle at a time" rule for working with two circs.

I'm using this method right now to knit two mittens at once, but of course I've complicated it VASTLY by having them be colorwork mittens so I've got uh...six balls of yarn going at once.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Why do I always forget that stocking stitch is poo poo for scarves because it makes them roll up?! Ah well, anyway, here is my cheapo Red Heart slip stitch two tone Seattle scarf made for my Goon Island roomate. As you can see, he didn't care that it rolls up. Always knit for non-knitters, they're much more grateful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Hey, that's a cool scarf! :)

If you want a stockinette scarf that doesn't roll up, you could knit it in the round. Just make a long tube and put fringe on the ends. Of course it will take twice as much yarn and twice the time to knit, but at least it won't roll up. ;)

I made a BIG and LONG scarf this way, and it's the best and warmest scarf I have.

Ravelry link to the scarf (with pattern].