Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thoogsby posted:

Victory.

Ibanez Artist?

Scarf fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 5, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Scarf posted:

Ibanez Artist?

Yes sir, with a brand new SD Invader in the bridge. I'm thinking about replacing those black plastic knobs with some Gibson ones.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thoogsby posted:

Yes sir, with a brand new SD Invader in the bridge. I'm thinking about replacing those black plastic knobs with some Gibson ones.

Word. I think that'd look much better. What year is it?

Also, I'd kill for an old Ibanez Musician bass.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

Thoogsby posted:

How's the invader sound? I talked to a dude at a music store a while back about putting some new pickups in my Ibanez RG321, and raised the possiblities of SD Blackouts or a SD Invader in the bridge, and he strongly recommended against the Invader purely because it was _too_ aggressive, and just had no tone. But I've seen a few people installing them, and am quite curious :)

Edit: Yeah, sound clips would be awesome. Cheers.

The Stygian fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 5, 2009

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Scarf posted:

Word. I think that'd look much better. What year is it?

It's a 2007.

The Stygian posted:

How's the invader sound? I talked to a dude at a music store a while back about putting some new pickups in my Ibanez RG321, and raised the possiblities of SD Blackouts or a SD Invader in the bridge, and he strongly recommended against the Invader purely because it was _too_ aggressive, and just had no tone. But I've seen a few people installing them, and am quite curious :)

It's very raw and aggressive but that's why I bought it. I love that organic, straight from hell tone. It's really responsive as far as picking dynamics go though. I've only had it in for a day and been able to crank it up for an hour or so. Maybe I'll post some sound clips later.

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 5, 2009

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Okay, contributing to this thread again, just bought an EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress and an EB VP Jr. Volume pedal (the passive one). I can't wait for them to get here I'M SO EXCITED.

Happy birthday to me. Maybe when my mom gives me my birthday gift, I'll buy a small clone or something.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
Also a little valve preamp that I got recently, I'm sure many here will be familiar with it. Excuse the phone pic.

Absolutely love it! My main reason for getting it was so I could run a line level signal into the line-in on my soundcard (Audigy 2 ZS, for what it's worth) for at least an attempt at recording. I've found it also sounds absolutely lovely through my stereo setup, to boot! Distortion through a set of Hi-Fi speakers, sounds so much more ... natural than through my lovely 40W combo. Maybe it's just the amplifier making the difference, but man is it a sweet sound. May try in the future some other valves and see what sonic difference it makes.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Okay, contributing to this thread again, just bought an EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress and an EB VP Jr. Volume pedal (the passive one). I can't wait for them to get here I'M SO EXCITED.

Happy birthday to me. Maybe when my mom gives me my birthday gift, I'll buy a small clone or something.

Didn't go for the stereo Electric Mistress?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Scarf posted:

Didn't go for the stereo Electric Mistress?

I figured that if I one day had enough money for a stereo rig, another $120 wouldn't exactly kill me if I wanted one...

Plus, I LOVE the large, classy EHX pedals. I already have the Big Muff Pi (and now the Deluxe Electric Mistress), but My dream rig includes 2 Deluxe Memory Men (for Petrucci/Timmons style delay), a Stereo Polychorus, so on and so forth.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I figured that if I one day had enough money for a stereo rig, another $120 wouldn't exactly kill me if I wanted one...

Plus, I LOVE the large, classy EHX pedals. I already have the Big Muff Pi (and now the Deluxe Electric Mistress), but My dream rig includes 2 Deluxe Memory Men (for Petrucci/Timmons style delay), a Stereo Polychorus, so on and so forth.

Ahh see, I'm the exact opposite. I love the size of the newer XO series.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Scarf posted:

Ahh see, I'm the exact opposite. I love the size of the newer XO series.

As long as we're in agreement that EHX loving owns, I can respect that. :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Gorilla Salsa posted:

As long as we're in agreement that EHX loving owns, I can respect that. :)

Hah, yes, yes they do. My Enigma came with a nice sticker and I dunno where to put it.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Lovin' the Egnater Rebel 20 and Ibanez Artist posted recently. Very cool.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Thoogsby posted:

Victory.

I don't usually care for guitars one way or another, but drat is that a pretty guitar.

Mountain Dew
Feb 22, 2001
The Hole Is The Law

Pokey Araya posted:

If the stages are that small, why do you need all that power?

A small stage doesn't mean I want to have anything less than the best tone possible. I've got this setup for a super thick sound, not necessarily for power/volume. I can get loud with the usual 4x12+head combo, but it won't sound anywhere near as good as this. In fact, I probably have a lower stage volume now because I don't have to crank up the volume to get a decent tone.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I must be out of my mind, I bought this just now. Now I'm even more excited...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I must be out of my mind, I bought this just now. Now I'm even more excited...

Whoa. I dont think i've ever seen a Russian Small Stone... Awesome.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
oh my god I did not need to spend money today

e: LP Standard Traditional, used from GC for $1500. Can't pick it up until the 22nd, though.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Scarf posted:

Whoa. I dont think i've ever seen a Russian Small Stone... Awesome.
I like the crate, myself.

Carbohydrates posted:

oh my god I did not need to spend money today

e: LP Standard Traditional, used from GC for $1500. Can't pick it up until the 22nd, though.
That's pretty sweet! It's the kind of guitar I'd buy one day because I feel like owning one...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I like the crate, myself.

Yeah, back in the good ole days when all EHX pedals came in wooden boxes.

ungfh
Nov 2, 2007

by Peatpot
I've been thinking about buying a triangle to mess around with. I've been looking at this one:

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Latin-Percussion-LPA123-Aspire-10-Inch-Triangle?sku=440809

It's pretty inexpensive, and I think it'd be a fun thing to play with. Any thoughts?

Colin Ex Machina
Oct 16, 2004
I adopted a highway.
I'm in the process of a couple major DIY projects:

a) I'm almost done sourcing parts for a x0xb0x tb-303 clone.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/151/388577204_5616f073fa.jpg

http://www.ladyada.net/make/x0xb0x/

Rare parts are en route and I got the panels, PCBs, thermistors, and microcontroller yesterday. Next stop the non-rare parts, and then next stop booty house.

b) I also got a General Guitar Gadgets kit (DOD envelope filter clone) and I intend to mod it and make it so it'll have a step sequencer a la those zvex pedals like the ringtone, etc. Still have to work out the switching on this one all the way but I'm cautiously optimistic.

c) I ALSO also have a half-built Gristleizer that just needs to be wired up the rest of the way and then tested, but I'm having trouble finding a decent stompbox case that I can put it in. It doesn't help that EA did a tremendously awful job laying out the PCB and made it huge. Seriously how does this thing not just pop into a Hammond 1590DD case

Morbid Fiesta
Dec 20, 2008

ungfh posted:

I've been thinking about buying a triangle to mess around with. I've been looking at this one:

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Latin-Percussion-LPA123-Aspire-10-Inch-Triangle?sku=440809

It's pretty inexpensive, and I think it'd be a fun thing to play with. Any thoughts?

Not bad, reminds me of the picks I use.

Early Cuyler
Jan 10, 2006

Fruit don't talk. Fruit just listen.

ungfh posted:

It's a piece of poo poo. Seriously. Spend 50 or 60 bucks and get a 6" Grover or an Alan Abel from Steveweissmusic.com. They sound MUCH better; whereas that thing will sound like a poo poo hunk of metal with no sustain or overtones, the Grover or the Abel will actually sound shimmery and will sustain forever.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Early Cuyler posted:

It's a piece of poo poo. Seriously. Spend 50 or 60 bucks and get a 6" Grover or an Alan Abel from Steveweissmusic.com. They sound MUCH better; whereas that thing will sound like a poo poo hunk of metal with no sustain or overtones, the Grover or the Abel will actually sound shimmery and will sustain forever.

This. I was a percussionist all throughout high school, and my main grief in concert season was against our triangle (it was literally a bent piece of rebar). Plus, Steve Weiss is like the only place to shop for this kind of stuff.

I will caution you that a triangle really isn't something that's played very frequently, so it's up to you if ~$60 is worth it.

kablamo
Apr 6, 2007
title? what's that all about?
I'm really leaning towards a harp guitar!

The
shape
of the
body will
make for some
very interesting
harmonics, and the
alder neck really does
have great tone for the price.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

kablamo posted:

I'm really leaning towards a harp guitar!

That looks more like a six string balalaika than a harp guitar. This is a harp guitar!

Edit: That actually looks really cool. I kind of want one myself now.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 7, 2009

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
AYB's mod challenges are awesome.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Is that what that's about? Man, I need to read GBS more often.

Now I feel kinda :downs:-y

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Concatenation posted:

AYB's mod challenges are awesome.

Which one in particular?

vvv Ah, gotcha. Turns out I've seen another triangle post but didn't realise it at the time.

Captain Splendid fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 7, 2009

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Captain Splendid posted:

Which one in particular?

Post pictures with triangles. I'm sure you can guess which 3 posts those are.

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.
Free gear is the best gear! A friend never used her Ibanez SRX 300, so she shipped it to me?! I am surprised and flattered and need a cheap bass amp now. The gal is painted on, I guess. Not that I'm complaining.

Raze fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 9, 2009

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
It's been established before that LEDs give me boners, so when I saw what Carvin did to the V3 it just fired up my gas to the point of no return. I'll be saving up $200/month for this bitch until I can afford it (in January).

Just so everyone knows my next large purchase.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Guitar Center called me and told me that the previous owner of the used LP I just bought was an employee of the store who bought it from that store, so they knew it wasn't stolen, so they didn't have to put a 30-day hold on it! In other words, instead of having to wait til the 22nd to pick it up, I got to go grab it yesterday. HELL yes.

Check it out, previous owner put a graphite nut on it. As much as I like Gibsons, those stock plastic nuts they use are horrible, horrible garbage, and I'm glad the previous owner knew this, too.

A few months ago, I had 4 strats. Now I have this. I'm like a drat pendulum.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

dizzywhip fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 9, 2020

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Carbohydrates posted:

A few months ago, I had 4 strats. Now I have this. I'm like a drat pendulum.
You have the gear collection of a god, Carbohydrates. Every post you've ever made in this thread was a glorious, enviable purchase.

Marry me?

Ozymandius
Oct 9, 2007

Why hallo thar sexy lady! :smug:

I need to stop with the amps.. JCM 2000, Vox Night train, and now this? Maybe I should throw more things on the pedal board now...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you have too much, I'll take the night train off your hands. I'll take one for the team.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
Well, finally got my new amp. Well, new to me. Second hand, only a month or two old, and in perfect nick. Just over half retail price!

Now just need to wait on my Bloody Mary and my guitar spending will be done for quite a while!

(And yes, I quite like the amplifier.)

The Stygian fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 9, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Man, nice. I heard one of those recently and it was pretty sweet, I certainly wish I'd got one instead of my Marshall AVT 2x12.