Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Would September be a good time to go to San Francisco as a tourist? Cost wise i would save a ton on flights etc but generally not sure what 'tourist season' is over there. What kind of temperature would it be at that time of year? As a european not burning to death would be nice also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

September is one of the best times of year to visit in terms of weather, don't tell anyone though, it's a secret. It still might be 55 and windy but there's a better chance of really nice days (it's almost always cold at night). It rarely gets really hot and when it does it only lasts a couple days.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I noticed in some of the various twitter threads here, people say they follow businesses/restaurants that post deals as well as twitters that post local events and such.

Anyone follow any twitters like these in the bay area? Is there a listing somewhere of local businesses' twitters?

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
I'm out in Berkeley for work until at least mid September. I'm staying near Shattuck so I'm close to the middle of some cool stuff in Berkeley, at least based on my explorations. Since there's no updated OP or anything, is there a general overview of cool music venues / museums / arts / culture type stuff that is accessible by BART (no car)? Is there a good local magazine that has a website (for example) -- similar to, say, Time Out New York?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

You can get to most of the worthwhile spots in SF and the East Bay on BART.

http://sfstation.com is good for event listings

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Cool, thanks, that site is great.

Also of interest (I forgot to say) is things like music stores (guitar type stores as well as record stores), cool vintage stores, bookstores.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Ok its been driving me crazy. I work in the financial district, right off the Mont. BART station and every so often i hear what sounds like an Air Raid siren. it is often followed by a muffled announcement, as it coming over a loud speaker.

What is that? Seriously? Its been driving me crazy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

BlueBayou posted:

Ok its been driving me crazy. I work in the financial district, right off the Mont. BART station and every so often i hear what sounds like an Air Raid siren. it is often followed by a muffled announcement, as it coming over a loud speaker.

It's the tuesday at noon siren test

Elguapo
Jan 23, 2005
Im planning a trip that includes a amtrak ride from southern California to San Francisco. Id like the train station closest to Haite-Ashbury, but theres no many options. Anyone know the best stations with the least amount of transfers?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

What stops does the train offer? The Amtrak line runs up the East Bay but I know there's a bus to the Transbay terminal. The best way to get to the Haight from downtown is probably taking the N-Judah streetcar to Stanyan Street and just walk down the hill. The 6 7 and 71 are slow as poo poo.

Make sure you check out Lower Haight between Divisadero and Fillmore too there's some cool stuff down there.

Marcus Brody
Aug 20, 2003

If gonorrhea was a piano Todd would be considered a bold and unpredictable new talent

Elguapo posted:

Im planning a trip that includes a amtrak ride from southern California to San Francisco. Id like the train station closest to Haite-Ashbury, but theres no many options. Anyone know the best stations with the least amount of transfers?
Can't avoid transfers here but it's not too bad. Amtrak runs a bus service into the city from the Emeryville and Oakland stations, just pick any San Francisco location as your destination when reserving tickets. The first place the bus stops is the Embarcadero Station -- there, hop on the Muni N line, get off on Cole, and you're blocks away.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Any recommendations on where to get a suit in the city? I'm looking to get something nice but want to spend less than $1000.

The Grand Judabuddha
Jan 21, 2001

Papercut posted:

Any recommendations on where to get a suit in the city? I'm looking to get something nice but want to spend less than $1000.

There's a place called Men's Warehouse on stockton and Market. I got a coat from them, it seems like a good place. My latest suit came from Nordstrom during their big summer sale thing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I personally wouldn't spend a grand on a rack suit but you can do well when Jos A. Bank, Brooks Brothers, Saks, Bloomingdales or maybe Barney's has a sale.

There's a suit thread in W&W, maybe ask there.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am visiting friends the last week of September this year, I will have my wife and 2.5 year old daughter in tow.

My wife read some book and is going to try to drag me to all the retarded tourist spots, which ones are survivable and which ones should I fight against tooth and nail?

What are the must do things for small brat children?

From personal experience Farley, Fairly? sp? brothers strip club is awesome, the girls are friendly, and they let you grab their boobs for 20 bucks. Don't let the homeless guy guide you in, and you can get in cheaper since the door man won't have to give him his cut.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

qirex posted:

I personally wouldn't spend a grand on a rack suit but you can do well when Jos A. Bank, Brooks Brothers, Saks, Bloomingdales or maybe Barney's has a sale.

There's a suit thread in W&W, maybe ask there.

Thanks!

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

A lot of people enjoy being dead.
Two part question:

a) Is the Raiders game next Thursday going to be televised?

b) what's the "best" (preferably East Bay) bar to watch said game?

THANKS!

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005

Baby_Hippo posted:

Two part question:

a) Is the Raiders game next Thursday going to be televised?

b) what's the "best" (preferably East Bay) bar to watch said game?

THANKS!

a) No clue but i think most of the early preseason games get put on tape delay so it might be on later that night.

b) http://www.rickys.com/index.cfm

That's the best sports bar I've been to in the East Bay but I'm not a Raiders fan so i dunno if there's any better bars to go to for Raiders games.

Either way even if it is on TV its probably going to be dead wherever you go because its a Thursday night and the first preseason game of the season plus its at home. Most people who want to watch it that bad who are in the East Bay will just go to the game, i'm sure you could get a ticket from somewhere for 20 bucks.

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

I am visiting friends the last week of September this year, I will have my wife and 2.5 year old daughter in tow.

My wife read some book and is going to try to drag me to all the retarded tourist spots, which ones are survivable and which ones should I fight against tooth and nail?

What are the must do things for small brat children?

What tourist locations are you planning on? As a semi-local, I actually like the touristy crap, they're pretty much all good. Although I don't know what the big deal is with Union Square. Nothing special about it, maybe some street performers and overpriced stores. The museum of modern art is a bit lame in my opinion, but maybe I don't GET modern art.

What is your driving distance?

About 60-90 minutes south, there's Gilroy Gardens for the wee ones.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

BlueBayou posted:

That's the emergency siren system, which they test every Tuesday at noon. There are sirens all over the city, and they go off at the same time. If they bother you now, you should have heard them before they updated them a few years ago. They used to be actual mechanical air raid sirens (they are now recordings played over loud speakers), and they were longer and louder, with no announcement at the end, so if you didn't know what it was you might actually think you were in trouble. I'm pretty sure they started life during World War II, when the possibility of an air raid on SF was real.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The old siren was way better. We also used to have the old cool foghorns that you could hear all the way across the bay.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
I swear to god there is some similar fog horn thingy out in the inner richmond that drive me crazy when i am hungover on the weekends.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

BlueBayou posted:

I swear to god there is some similar fog horn thingy out in the inner richmond that drive me crazy when i am hungover on the weekends.

There are several foghorns around the bay. And yeah, they're a lot quieter than they used to be.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

There are several foghorns around the bay. And yeah, they're a lot quieter than they used to be.

I swear it goes off like every minutes

I need to pay attention to this when its not 9am on Sunday morning

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

BlueBayou posted:

I swear it goes off like every minutes

I need to pay attention to this when its not 9am on Sunday morning

I thought you lived in Oakland?

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

I thought you lived in Oakland?

Used to live in Berkeley, now live in SF

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

qirex posted:

The old siren was way better. We also used to have the old cool foghorns that you could hear all the way across the bay.

Definitely. There was one of the sirens right on top of my elementary school as a kid (which also happened to be two blocks from my house). Needless to say I was very familiar with the old sirens.

The foghorns too...they used to be a nightly accompaniment to falling asleep, but now i barely ever hear them unless I'm out closer to the bay or the ocean.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Rah! posted:

Definitely. There was one of the sirens right on top of my elementary school as a kid (which also happened to be two blocks from my house). Needless to say I was very familiar with the old sirens.

The foghorns too...they used to be a nightly accompaniment to falling asleep, but now i barely ever hear them unless I'm out closer to the bay or the ocean.

Yeah, I miss falling asleep to the foghorns.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Alright, so where are there decent driving ranges in the city?

I'm guessing GG park and the Presidio... any others?

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
I haven't been to any of these yet because I just moved to the Inner Richmond and have been busy looking for a job, but here's a list that includes a few ranges in the city.

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=golf+driving+range&find_loc=San+Francisco%2C+CA

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

robcat posted:

I haven't been to any of these yet because I just moved to the Inner Richmond and have been busy looking for a job, but here's a list that includes a few ranges in the city.

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=golf+driving+range&find_loc=San+Francisco%2C+CA

yay inner richmond!

Raw_Power
Jan 2, 2009

Tipsy McStagger posted:

Hi all SF goons...

My girlfriend and I are visiting SF in September, we've found a privately rented apartment for our stay in Richmond, near the corner of 25th and Geary Blvd - I've had a bit of a scope around on Google street view and it looks like a pretty safe area - any advice on places to avoid / if this area's ok? Any recommendations on places to eat, particularly Japanese, Mexican restaurants would be greatly appreciated

The Richmond is safe. Avoid Hunter's Point, but then again, there's nothing that would draw you down to that area (especially at night), unless you're looking for crack. The Tenderloin is full of degenerates, but as long as you're not falling-down drunk, you should be OK with two of you (but again, there's not really anything interesting in that area).

For Mexican restaurants, go to the Mission District, you won't find anything in the Richmond or Sunset. For Japanese, you could try Japantown, though there are plenty of Sushi places in other neighborhoods.

Anthony Bourdain (sp?) just did a segment in SF...I heard he went to a sushi place, but I haven't been able to find out which one. I'd be curious to see which restaurant it was.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions; I've only lived here (in SF) for about a year, but I should be able to answer any questions you have...

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

Just be yourself, as long as that means you're a successful person.

Raw_Power posted:

Anthony Bourdain (sp?) just did a segment in SF...I heard he went to a sushi place, but I haven't been able to find out which one. I'd be curious to see which restaurant it was.

He went to Sebo in Hayes Valley.

For the Richmond, I'd recommend Oyaji for some Japanese food. It's my favorite spot for grilled skewers...chicken gizzards, beef tongue, mmmmmm

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Raw_Power posted:

I've only lived here (in SF) for about a year

I hate to be "that guy" but the last sentence explains the first few paragraphs. The 'Loin has a ton of awesome food [some of the best Thai, Vietnamese and Indian in the city] and some really fun bars and clubs. A lot of Mission Mexican restaurants coast on the fact that they're in the Mission and people will happily eat spinach tortillas or vegan refried beans and brag about how "authentic" the food is. There are a ton of worthwhile Mexican places and taquerias all over the city [even in the Richmond and Sunset]. That said you can get great Mexican in the Mission too and if you ask 3 people what their favorite place in the Mission is you'll get 8 answers. I like La Cumbre and El Castillito. The only really good place in Japantown is Suzu, the ramen place on the bottom floor of the West building. For sushi there's a lot of good places in the Richmond like Okina, Sanmi and Kappou but there's good sushi almost anywhere. If you want non-sushi Japanese the best places are downtown [Katana-ya, Asuka Ramen, Muracci's, Dojima-An].

The best advice I can give to people visiting is to not eat in the Wharf or on Columbus Street and don't be afraid of smaller, funkier looking places.

The best advice I can give to people who live here is to get to the opposite sides of Market, Van Ness, Geary, Fillmore and even Stanyan than you're used to regardless of where you normally hang out. For such a small city people seem perfectly happy to stay put in even tinier subsections of it.

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

qirex posted:

For such a small city people seem perfectly happy to stay put in even tinier subsections of it.

"Burlingame is far!!!"

Can a native please explain this distance phenomena to me?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Kobalt posted:

"Burlingame is far!!!"

Unlike teenagers in the suburbs, a lot of us grew up without cars. Also the city is so densely packed with stuff that you don't need to go very far to find something interesting, again unlike the suburbs.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Kobalt posted:

"Burlingame is far!!!"

Burlingame is far; if you're coming from the city and don't live next to the freeway it can easily take close to an hour to get there on a weekend.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

qirex posted:

I hate to be "that guy" but the last sentence explains the first few paragraphs. The 'Loin has a ton of awesome food [some of the best Thai, Vietnamese and Indian in the city] and some really fun bars and clubs. A lot of Mission Mexican restaurants coast on the fact that they're in the Mission and people will happily eat spinach tortillas or vegan refried beans and brag about how "authentic" the food is. There are a ton of worthwhile Mexican places and taquerias all over the city [even in the Richmond and Sunset]. That said you can get great Mexican in the Mission too and if you ask 3 people what their favorite place in the Mission is you'll get 8 answers. I like La Cumbre and El Castillito. The only really good place in Japantown is Suzu, the ramen place on the bottom floor of the West building. For sushi there's a lot of good places in the Richmond like Okina, Sanmi and Kappou but there's good sushi almost anywhere. If you want non-sushi Japanese the best places are downtown [Katana-ya, Asuka Ramen, Muracci's, Dojima-An].

The best advice I can give to people visiting is to not eat in the Wharf or on Columbus Street and don't be afraid of smaller, funkier looking places.

The best advice I can give to people who live here is to get to the opposite sides of Market, Van Ness, Geary, Fillmore and even Stanyan than you're used to regardless of where you normally hang out. For such a small city people seem perfectly happy to stay put in even tinier subsections of it.
Katanaya and Suzu are okay but Maru-ichi in Mountain View is so much porkier, with chewier noodles and more flavor. In Japantown I recommend Takara and also Dobu for Korean food.

Raw_Power
Jan 2, 2009

qirex posted:

I hate to be "that guy" but the last sentence explains the first few paragraphs. A lot of Mission Mexican restaurants coast on the fact that they're in the Mission and people will happily eat spinach tortillas or vegan refried beans and brag about how "authentic" the food is. There are a ton of worthwhile Mexican places and taquerias all over the city [even in the Richmond and Sunset].

Fair enough. But tell me where the good places are in the Sunset (seriously). I lived in Mexico for the first half of my life, and what I've found in Sunset/Richmond are pretty poor examples of 'Mexican' food.

Raw_Power fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

Just be yourself, as long as that means you're a successful person.

Raw_Power posted:

Fair enough. But tell me where the good places are in the Sunset (seriously). I lived in Mexico for the first half of my life, and what I've found in Sunset/Richmond are pretty poor examples of 'Mexican' food.

There aren't many good places at all. There's Beach Burrito on Judah and 40-something, and around Noriega and 45th there's La Playa Taqueria. Then down Taraval and 26th there is El Burrito Express.
All of their burritos are meh.
The tortas are pretty good from El Beach Burrito, and La Playa has good fish tacos and breakfast menu.

• Locked thread