Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaerf
May 3, 2007
never work

HPL posted:

Shot three rolls of Portra 160NC this weekend. Can't wait to get them back to see how they compare to Reala 100.

I haven't shot Reala, but 160 NC is very nice stuff. I think I'm going to try out 160 VC next time I have an urge to shoot color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Sigh, received my Pentax ME Super today, but the speeds are not accurate. Well they're accurate the first time I fire it, but each time after that using the same speed, the shutter will fire faster and faster.

I also tried aperture priority (without a lens, don't have one yet), and meter read overexposed and was supposed to fire at 1/2000, but it fired at a 4s or so speed. I tried a few times after that, and each time it'd give me a randomly long exposure of a few seconds each.

Good thing Henry's has 90 day warranties for their auctions.

PS: Batteries are new.

Edit: After firing the shutter a few hundred times, it seems the camera has calmed down. It now works flawlessly. :D

CanuckBassist fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 4, 2009

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Today's happy film camera story comes from Craigslist. I found an ad for a Canon AE-1 Program w/ lens for $30 and an EOS 850 w/ 50mm lens for $70. I e-mailed the seller and was able to snag the EOS 850 kit. The AE-1 was already spoken for, sadly. I haggled via e-mail and talked the seller down to $60. Score!

I get to the meeting place (Walmart parking lot :bravo2:) and check out the EOS 850 and it turns out that it's a 50mm F/1.8 Mk I. And the seller was a high-school aged girl with her mom. :sweatdrop:

I gave her $80 so I wouldn't feel so guilty for selling the lens for $160 later :coal:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Mark 1? Oh, those are the early lenses with the problems! That's gonna knock a bit off the value...
:ssh:

I'm highly considering hitting up Goodwill in a vain hope of finding something interesting camera related. It seems like there's a lot less camera poo poo at garage sales versus five years ago. I wonder if people are preemptively ebaying it or if the rush to digital has died down and that's it, or what. Times are loving tough here, you'd think people would be selling grandpa's old gear.

e: also ebay sucks now. The good deals are long gone.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 5, 2009

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm highly considering hitting up Goodwill in a vain hope of finding something interesting camera related. It seems like there's a lot less camera poo poo at garage sales versus five years ago. I wonder if people are preemptively ebaying it or if the rush to digital has died down and that's it, or what. Times are loving tough here, you'd think people would be selling grandpa's old gear.

The thrift stores are picked over. It comes down to keeping a close eye on eBay and KEH among others. Real crazy bargains are hard to come by, but it's not impossible to find a reasonable deal. The key is to do your research and be one step ahead of the pack. Figure out what the next big thing will be. For instance, it's too late to get a good price on a Yashica 124G, but there are lots of other good TLRs out there for less money like the Rolleiflexes with the 3.5 Tessar lenses or the pre-124G Yashicas or whatever. If you want a 35mm, Pentaxes are still affordable and plentiful as are the lenses. If you want to think outside the box a little, there are lots of other brands like Minolta and Konica that are decent but not as popular as Nikon, Olympus and Pentax.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

Mark 1? Oh, those are the early lenses with the problems! That's gonna knock a bit off the value...
:ssh:

I keep finding these cheap cameras at yard sales and Starvation Army, I've collected so many by now that I'm turning my nose up at cameras unless they are (A) interesting and (B) I don't already have them. Saturday I found a Honey Spotmatic for $10 (no lens, wherever will I ever find a M42 lens :v: ) and a Vivitar V3000S for $5.

I keep threatening to trim the herd some more. I don't need 2 K1000's, 2 Ae-1's, or all of those Minolta Af mounts, or most of the other stuff I've accumulated for cheap.

I have found that Tuesday or Wednesday work well for hitting up the local second hand stores. A lot of folks try to flog their old gear at garage sales, and dump it at the donation bin sunday evening. Give the guys a couple days to process the booty and get it on the shelf, chances are you'll find it cheap. The cool stuff goes pretty quick, especially if I happen to be the first guy there.

The most I've paid for a camera at a second hand store was $65 for a Nikon FA with a SB16 flash, 35-105 Nikon zoom, winder and a 28mm Rokinon, all in a decent bag. I paid $5 for a Yashica Electro CC. There are still deals out there.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Gnomad posted:

The most I've paid for a camera at a second hand store was $65 for a Nikon FA with a SB16 flash, 35-105 Nikon zoom, winder and a 28mm Rokinon, all in a decent bag. I paid $5 for a Yashica Electro CC. There are still deals out there.

It depends where you live. I live in a city jam packed with artsy photographers and hipsters so the vintage camera stuff is in high demand. Still, like I said a while ago, now is a great time to pick up autofocus film cameras like the earlier EOS cameras. They're perfectly fine and inexpensive (except for the really pro stuff like the EOS 1V or Nikon F5/F6) and don't have that "collectible" vibe like the old-school steel and brass stuff.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

HPL posted:

It depends where you live. I live in a city jam packed with artsy photographers and hipsters so the vintage camera stuff is in high demand. Still, like I said a while ago, now is a great time to pick up autofocus film cameras like the earlier EOS cameras. They're perfectly fine and inexpensive (except for the really pro stuff like the EOS 1V or Nikon F5/F6) and don't have that "collectible" vibe like the old-school steel and brass stuff.

I rarely see the better grade of Canon EF mount out there, must be a regional preference. Lots of Rebels, I have a couple already, like every else though if I come across an Elan with eye focus or such cheap, I'm going to grab that too.

AF Pentaxes are almost like herpes around here, you just can't get rid of them.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

HPL posted:

You can find the EOS 620, one of their first ones from 1987, pretty cheap on eBay for the time being. Saw one for $15 the other day, but also a lot for $30-$50.

In retrospect I probably should have just PMed a link to the cheap one right to Gnomad and saved everyone else the bother of looking for it. :v:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Nah, you can still score. I picked up a Leica M4-2 in very very good condition for $400.01 recently. It's not as easy as it used to be to score, but you can still get some killer deals on the bay if you know what to look for...

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.
Well apparently the guy who was selling me the SRT-101 parted it out and didn't realize it was relisted, but I'm going to pick up a Minolta X-700 this afternoon with a 50mm f/1.7 MD lens for $50. Seems like a good deal to me!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
A thrift store near me has an Auto Tamron 28mm f/2.8 in a M42 adapter for $16. The lens seems to have an issue.

If you have it in Auto, the aperture pin seems locked.

If you have it in Manual, the aperture works normally until you press the pin and then it locks the aperture ring to just a couple clicks from whatever it was at until you turn the Focus ring toward close-focus, then something seems to cock inside the lens and the aperture works again.

Is this one of those funky semiauto lenses or something, and should I buy it? It's one of these.

e: Also saw an ancient Ciro-flex in bad bad shape for $15 but with a working shutter (not buying, but I messed with it for a few minutes!), a ME with a Pentax f/1.4 for $75, and a Pentax f/2.8 35mm (or 28? I can't remember) for $30. I need more money :coal:

And everything SLR that I own is Pentax, except for a couple random lenses that came with poo poo that I wanted. Also my Yashica RF and TLR. I've realized I'm turning into an hipster human being. Anyone got a cheap place to buy a turtleneck and a beret? :monocle:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 6, 2009

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

A thrift store near me has an Auto Tamron 28mm f/2.8 in a M42 adapter for $16. The lens seems to have an issue.

If you have it in Auto, the aperture pin seems locked.

If you have it in Manual, the aperture works normally until you press the pin and then it locks the aperture ring to just a couple clicks from whatever it was at until you turn the Focus ring toward close-focus, then something seems to cock inside the lens and the aperture works again.

Is this one of those funky semiauto lenses or something, and should I buy it? It's one of these.

I'd think there was some sort of trouble in the lens or the mount.

So just for reference-

The big 200-500mm on the right is a Tamron "adapt-a-matic" and the smaller 60-300 on the left is a "adaptall" . The adaptamatic mount is not exactly an quick and easy changeover from one mount to the other, I don't think it's meant for casual switching. The one I have came with a Minolta MF mount. You might want to pick that lens up for the mount, they don't make the adapt-a-matic mount any more.I'm not 100% sure but I think it would work on other adaptamatic lenses.

The lens to the left is the adaptall. Those adapters are available on fleabay, which is where I found the Minolta AF mount adapter so I can use the 60-300 on the Sony A200, stop down metering but it's a pretty nice lens. That mount changes over very nicely. I also have the M42 mount for the 60-300.

If someone tried to change mounts on the 28mm, they may have goobered it up. It takes some work with a screwdriver to get that mount off and it's a bit fussy, as i learned the hard way-by finding out that the mount I bought on ebay for the 200-500 wasn't the right one. :doh:

If it were me, I'd buy it for the M42 mount-otherwise, I don't think it's much of a deal for a 28mm lens. The adaptamatics aren't the best lenses out there. The adaptall 60-300 SP is a much better piece of glass.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Gnomad posted:

If it were me, I'd buy it for the M42 mount-otherwise, I don't think it's much of a deal for a 28mm lens. The adaptamatics aren't the best lenses out there. The adaptall 60-300 SP is a much better piece of glass.

That's good to hear. I ordered one earlier today and it's the darndest thing that you should mention it now.

I got an Olympus 35RC in the mail today. Wow, this thing is nice. It's compact but not too compact. It's solid and swift to use. I haven't run a roll of film through it yet, but I would imagine it should take decent photos based on its meter readings. If it could go to 3200 it would be nearly perfect.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It looks like the one on the right. It had a screw on ring labelled PENTAX SCREW that screwed onto the lens body and held a M42 mount in place inside. It's worth it for the mount I would have figured they'd be all over. :raise:

e: Those are big loving lenses.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 6, 2009

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

It looks like the one on the right. It had a screw on ring labelled PENTAX SCREW that screwed onto the lens body and held a M42 mount in place inside. It's worth it for the mount I would have figured they'd be all over. :raise:

e: Those are big loving lenses.

The 60-300 is fairly conventional but yeah, the 200-500 is a serious lens which giggles at my tripods, even the heavier duty old achool Velbon.

edit-a quick snap from the Tamron SP adaptall. The SP series are "Semi Pro" series lenses, here's hoping you ordered the SP version.

Gnomad fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 6, 2009

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.
Well I got my X-700 and it seems to be in working order, I'm going to shoot a roll on it today and see what happens.

In other news, I picked up a Vivitar 35-105mm f/3.2-4 lens at a thrift store too, but apparently it's a Pentax K mount lens, not a Minolta. It said MC on the front, and I thought that was a Minolta thing, but I guess I was wrong.

I can't really find any info on this lens anywhere online, and can barely confirm that it ever even existed...does anyone know anything about it? The reason I say it's a K mount is that it says P/K on the bottom, which I totally missed the first time I looked it over, but the only versions of this lens I can find online are for Minolta or Canon cameras, so I don't know wtf.

Alternately, anyone looking to buy one? :D

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Gnomad posted:

I'd think there was some sort of trouble in the lens or the mount.

So just for reference-

The lens to the left is the adaptall. Those adapters are available on fleabay, which is where I found the Minolta AF mount adapter so I can use the 60-300 on the Sony A200, stop down metering but it's a pretty nice lens. That mount changes over very nicely. I also have the M42 mount for the 60-300.

drat, I've had a Tamron 80-210mm Adaptall 2 for like 4 years and never realized you could switch the mount.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

The winding gear in my Canon t70 (which winds up rolls automatically) broke, and my normal repair place says it's too old to fix. Does anyone have any idea of where I might send it out to that could fix it, or anything I could do to fix it? The rest of the camera works perfectly fine, but I have a special attachment to this particular Canon T70 and would be ecstatic to be able to use it again.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

The winding gear in my Canon t70 (which winds up rolls automatically) broke, and my normal repair place says it's too old to fix. Does anyone have any idea of where I might send it out to that could fix it, or anything I could do to fix it? The rest of the camera works perfectly fine, but I have a special attachment to this particular Canon T70 and would be ecstatic to be able to use it again.

I think it would be cheaper to buy another T70 than to repair the one you have. KEH has ones in EX condition for $53. I doubt you'll be able to get your camera fixed for less than that.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Gnomad posted:

Alright now tell me how to mount the adapter on this adaptamatic thingy.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Just got a bunch of Shanghai GP3 120 film from isaac.chen on eBay. Should be interesting to see how that all turns out. Also got a few rolls of Portra 800 and 400NC as well as Fuji 400H.

Beau Photo in Vancouver has the Portra 800 120 for $40 for a 5-pack. Not cheap, but if it turns out well, I'll order more from somewhere else.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

Alright now tell me how to mount the adapter on this adaptamatic thingy.

Don't you already have a adapter on the lens? The M42 mount?

IIRC, there should be a small screw clamp like part holding the mount to the lens, loosening that lets you sort of screw the mount off the lens. Proceed with caution, it's not too difficult but it's not an easy twist and screw operation either. The Minolta mount came off in layers, a larger ring was holding a smaller ring with the lugs for the lens, and the arperture mechanism is fiddly.

In a world, proceed carefully.

The adaptalls are way easier.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

penneydude posted:

Well I got my X-700 and it seems to be in working order, I'm going to shoot a roll on it today and see what happens.

In other news, I picked up a Vivitar 35-105mm f/3.2-4 lens at a thrift store too, but apparently it's a Pentax K mount lens, not a Minolta. It said MC on the front, and I thought that was a Minolta thing, but I guess I was wrong.

"Multi Coated", nothing to do with Minolta...but if it says "MD" it's likely to be Minolta. Go figure!

Now what you need is a K mount camera.

I was wandering about a Wal Mart today and found in photo section a Vivitar 35mm SLR starter kit. Inside the box appear to be a Vivitar V3000 35mm SLR, a camera bag, a flash, etc....... $208. The same camera I bought this weekend for $5. It's not a bad camera but $208 will buy a whole lot more SLR these days than one Chinese K mount 35mm SLR.

Kaerf
May 3, 2007
never work
So, I got to play around with a Hasselblad recently. I just printed a few of the negs which I shot on HP5. Let me just say they print beautifully and I want a blad for myself more than ever now.

'Blad + HP5 + fiber paper = :swoon:

I'll post scans of them when they're all dry.

duck pond
Sep 13, 2007

Kaerf posted:

uguu~ nothing like fiber paper done right. do you have access to selenium toner?

my photog class bought out the local photo place's supply of ilford mc fiber paper, and now they're not ordering any more in due to 'lack of demand' :psyduck:

to ebay it is...

Kaerf
May 3, 2007
never work

Mello Clello posted:

uguu~ nothing like fiber paper done right. do you have access to selenium toner?

Nah, haven't had money to buy it. It's a tad expensive and I don't have that many prints I'm worried about archival permanence. I'll probably get some soon and just tone most of the stuff I have, just need to have more prints to make it worth the money.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Interchangable mount lenses!

I have a couple of these critters, a Tamron 60-300mm SP zoom "adaptall" and a Vivitar 300mm "TX" mount.

Tamron to the left, Vivitar to the right.

Tamron mounts, M42 and Minolta AF

Press the little tab at 2:00 o clock, and twist off the mount, line it up and twist another back on. Takes about the same time as taking it off the camera and locks commendably tight.

Vivitar mounts, Canon FD and M42

There is a small tab on the locking ring, press the tab down, rotate the lock as needed to release the mount and remount as needed. Also locks up tight.

Both of these interchangable mount systems work well, better than the adaptatic that PMD is attacking with small screwdrivers and other implements of destruction.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
A page or so ago we were talking about the size of lenses, thought I'd share this (Bronica 50mm f/2.8 for 645, coin is a US quarter):

KEH kinda screwed me again but made things right: I found a lens I wanted in UG for $35 but it had a picture of this one. I emailed them asking which it was, assuming the error was in the data entry. Guy said they use stock photos all the time that aren't necessarily the right item, so it should be the description that's correct. It showed up at my house Tuesday and sure enough, it was the 50. I emailed them about it and they said I could just keep it and they'll refund the $35. Score.

Pretty interesting to take apart, you need a #00 screwdriver and some patience. I substituted some specialized spanner for removing the front lens cell with a friction pad (like you use to open stuck bottles) and screwing it all the way back in to the focusing helicals so I could get a grip on it. Most of the size of the thing is the helicals, which rack the front cell, shutter, and rear cell forward and backward in relation to the lens mount/film plane. I didn't follow a guide or anything so it went a little rough at times (I encountered this loose metal ring around the front lens cell I couldn't figure out how to get off, so I grabbed it with some needle nose pliers and twisted it up until it broke), but it's not like I was planning on putting it back together anyways. I accidentally let the front lens cell come open by unscrewing the little locking ring on the very front and wound up with the front element, middle element, and some metal washer on my lap, but it was easy enough to get them back in properly. It really is a marvel how these things fit together, if you want to kill a rainy afternoon pick up a junker lens on eBay and have it at sometime.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 7, 2009

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Hey Gnomad, I figured it out. You have to insert the adapter with the lens in Automatic mode. If you try it in manual it doesn't work.

My new submission for Biggest Lens That Should Be Small:

SMC Pentax-M 28mm f/2.8 for comparison. Adaptamatic front element is like 1-7/8" across.

Today was 28mm day, I got the Adaptamatic 28mm and the Pentax 28mm for $15 and $30, respectively.

e: Sorry for the webcam pics. My only working point and shoot just died and I just got the repair label for my other one.

e2: I have spotted an unsuper ME at a store with a lens I want but I own a ME Super already and I've really got enough Pentax bodies at the moment. Anyone interested in buying the body for like $20 + s&h or something?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 7, 2009

TokenBrit
May 7, 2007
Irony isn't something that's like metal.

Kaerf posted:

So, I got to play around with a Hasselblad recently. I just printed a few of the negs which I shot on HP5. Let me just say they print beautifully and I want a blad for myself more than ever now.

Mello Clello posted:

my photog class bought out the local photo place's supply of ilford mc fiber paper, and now they're not ordering any more in due to 'lack of demand' :psyduck:

to ebay it is...

OI!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3173676

Do it now. I want to create more work for myself.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Shanghai GP3, Mat 124G, a walk in the mountains

Kaerf
May 3, 2007
never work

TokenBrit posted:

OI!

Already signed up!

TokenBrit
May 7, 2007
Irony isn't something that's like metal.

Kaerf posted:

Already signed up!

Oh yeah, so you did...

You didn't post. I'm easily confused.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I just got a Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 in Olympus mount. I haven't taken any photos with it yet but wow, if it takes photos half as well as it's built and finished, it should be one hell of a lens. The thing just screams "quality".

Oh, and also it seems that Kerrisdale Cameras uses Custom Color labs in Vancouver for their 120 processing which is a good thing since according to Custom Color's web site, they use a dip and dunk machine like the other pro labs. So it's a pretty good deal if you're in the suburbs, don't want to drive into Vancouver during business hours and don't mind waiting a few days.

HPL fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 8, 2009

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
During tonight's "First Friday Art Walk", I was chatting with a local medium-format portraiture photographer. He told me that he's got a Mamiya RB67 kit (body, 120 back, unspecified lens) that he'd be willing to sell for $350.

I'd love to do more medium format work, but since I'm not really a studio photographer, I don't know if something that massive would really be ideal for me. I'm also not seeing many fast lenses for it at all. (faster than 4.5, at least.)

Looking around online, a used Mamiya C330 TLR looks pretty tempting at roughly the same price range. The 80mm standard lens that comes with most of those is an f2.8, which is close enough to most of my Pentax 35mm gear that I won't feel crippled by it.

Any suggestions? Would an RB67 be manageable at all in outdoor/urbex environments? So far, the only medium-format camera I've used is a jury-rigged Duaflex IV.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 8, 2009

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

During tonight's "First Friday Art Walk", I was chatting with a local medium-format portraiture photographer. He told me that he's got a Mamiya RB67 kit (body, 120 back, unspecified lens) that he'd be willing to sell for $350.

I'd love to do more medium format work, but since I'm not really a studio photographer, I don't know if something that massive would really be ideal for me. I'm also not seeing many fast lenses for it at all. (faster than 4.5, at least.)

Looking around online, a used Mamiya C330 TLR looks pretty tempting at roughly the same price range. The 80mm standard lens that comes with most of those is an f2.8, which is close enough to most of my Pentax 35mm gear that I won't feel crippled by it.

Any suggestions? Would an RB67 be manageable at all in outdoor/urbex environments? So far, the only medium-format camera I've used is a jury-rigged Duaflex IV.

I don't know what it's worth but it seems like a good deal to me. The only thing is the RB67 is really intended for studio work, you saw the lack of fast lenses. The camera is also huge and heavy. I don't think I'd take it urbexing but that's just me. A TLR sounds cheap/durable enough, or you could try looking for a 6x6 SLR like a Bronica or something.

MF lenses are slower in general, I think most of the good TLR lenses clock in at around f/2.8 and most consumer lenses are in the 3.5.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Mamiya 645 lenses are probably the fastest of the medium format systems. Hasselblad cameras were tough enough to go to the moon though.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

My Pentax 6x7 is heavy as poo poo and if you drop it, it WILL break, every time, guaranteed. It's not an easy camera to carry around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

I don't know what it's worth but it seems like a good deal to me. The only thing is the RB67 is really intended for studio work, you saw the lack of fast lenses. The camera is also huge and heavy. I don't think I'd take it urbexing but that's just me. A TLR sounds cheap/durable enough, or you could try looking for a 6x6 SLR like a Bronica or something.

MF lenses are slower in general, I think most of the good TLR lenses clock in at around f/2.8 and most consumer lenses are in the 3.5.

An RB67 is pretty much the worst medium format camera possible for outdoors/urbex for those reasons. You should definitely handle it before you commit, it's about the size of a human head and made out of metal.

I don't see many recommendations for them in this thread but you might want to look in to a folding camera. They're even more portable than a TLR, have comparable lenses, and the exact same shutter in most cases. I just picked up a Ventura 69 (6x9 folder made by Agfa) for parts and the camera is actually pretty cool; I think I might make my next MF camera a folder. It's even got this crazy little WLF prism on the front.