Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

catbread.jpg posted:

Alternately, depending on whether your measurement circuit is end-to-end resistance based (and depending on how it treats the polarity of low vs high resistance), or 3-terminal voltage based with an input-wiper-ground, you could:

a) use a bigger value pot and sweep less of it

b) use a higher input voltage to compensate

electrical solutions to an electrical problem :smugdog:

B isn't possible as I can't control the voltage coming out of the lead.

A is brilliant though. The manual says 0-1k is "no throttle" and 4k (or maybe 4.5k, can't remember off the top of my head) and up is "full throttle".

Awesome idea, thank you. I'll go see if I can find a 0-15k+ plus pot tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Slung Blade posted:

Yep, exactly.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to find a gearing system to translate the 90' into the 270' that most pots offer.

Old joysticks are either 0-5k or 0-15k; My throttle is a 0-5k 90 degree pot.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Another good option if you find the right pot but its value is too big is to parallel it with a resistor (assuming you're using it with the wiper tied to one of the two ends). So if you had a 0 -> 10k trimpot and you paralleled it with a 10k resistor you wind up with a 0 -> 5k response.

You can do a similar trick with two resistors if the wiper is connected to something independent.

SnoPuppy
Jun 15, 2005

Poopernickel posted:

Another good option if you find the right pot but its value is too big is to parallel it with a resistor (assuming you're using it with the wiper tied to one of the two ends). So if you had a 0 -> 10k trimpot and you paralleled it with a 10k resistor you wind up with a 0 -> 5k response.

You can do a similar trick with two resistors if the wiper is connected to something independent.

This is true, but you should keep in mind that you will mess with the resistance curve of the pot. If you have a linear pot, by adding a resistor in parallel you get a more logarithmic output.

This may or may not matter for your application, but it's something to remember.

Corrupt Politician
Aug 8, 2007
Fantastic thread here guys! I have a question that hopefully someone here will be able to answer:

I'm working on a project that requires me to control the output of somewhere around 100 3-color LEDs. The LEDs are the kind sold here (they are red/green/blue and draw around 20mA at 2-4V). I must be able to switch on/off each color of each LED individually, giving me 8 possible states per LED (pwm control would get me a lot more and would be ideal, but I don't really need it). The LEDs would be controlled by a PC, via USB or serial.

I've been searching on various electronics websites and most of what I've come up with are LED controllers that come with the LEDs attached, or that control a board of LEDs, neither of which work for me (the LEDs need to be completely separate from the controller and from each other). The only thing I've found so far is this 64-LED controller, which is a pretty cool gizmo, but is expensive ($92) and not big enough for my application (it's designed for 1-color LEDs, so I'd only end up with a 21-LED controller).

My question is twofold:
1) Is there some product out there that does exactly what I need?
2) If there isn't, then what is the best way to go about designing my own? I saw that some of you guys have designed LED controllers, but is there a relatively cheap way to make one for so many LEDs? (I have been working on this and have some Multisim pics that I'll upload if you're interested).

I would really appreciate any help on this. Also, sorry for the overly-wordy description.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Corrupt Politician posted:

Fantastic thread here guys! I have a question that hopefully someone here will be able to answer:

I'm working on a project that requires me to control the output of somewhere around 100 3-color LEDs. The LEDs are the kind sold here (they are red/green/blue and draw around 20mA at 2-4V). I must be able to switch on/off each color of each LED individually, giving me 8 possible states per LED (pwm control would get me a lot more and would be ideal, but I don't really need it). The LEDs would be controlled by a PC, via USB or serial.

I've been searching on various electronics websites and most of what I've come up with are LED controllers that come with the LEDs attached, or that control a board of LEDs, neither of which work for me (the LEDs need to be completely separate from the controller and from each other). The only thing I've found so far is this 64-LED controller, which is a pretty cool gizmo, but is expensive ($92) and not big enough for my application (it's designed for 1-color LEDs, so I'd only end up with a 21-LED controller).

My question is twofold:
2) If there isn't, then what is the best way to go about designing my own? I saw that some of you guys have designed LED controllers, but is there a relatively cheap way to make one for so many LEDs? (I have been working on this and have some Multisim pics that I'll upload if you're interested).

I would really appreciate any help on this. Also, sorry for the overly-wordy description.

A PIC or AVR with a pile of IO expanders seems like the the obvious choice.
http://www.maxim-ic.com/products/interface/io_expanders.cfm

How quickly does it need to refresh? I don't think you could get 30fps out of the thing, but I haven't crunched the numbers because :effort:

edit: Oh hey they have a bunch of LED-specific driver chips too http://para.maxim-ic.com/en/search.mvp?fam=disp_driv&397=LED&tree=master

Mill Town fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 6, 2009

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You can use this example to do what you want:
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Main/DirectDriveLEDMatrix

Use some latching chips to expand it past the normal pin capacity, and treat each colour like a separate grid, I guess.

Does that make sense, or should I elaborate a little?

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I've got an idea for home automation that involves having speakers and microphones in several rooms, each of which is tied to a central computer. A person could speak a command into a microphone and the computer would relay its response back to the speaker paired with the microphone. And I would like to do this wirelessly :v:

code:
PC line in   <--+                                         +-->  microphone
                +-- transceiver ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ transceiver --+
PC line out  <--+                   ~                     +-->  speaker
                                    ~  
                                    ~
                                    ~                     +-->  microphone
                                    ~ ~ ~ ~ transceiver --+
                                                          +-->  speaker
I'm short on ideas for implementing the transceiver part of this mockup in hardware. Initially I thought an Arduino or similar for each "comm unit" coupled with an XBee transceiver that each talk to a similar unit hooked up to the PC -- because not really knowing about hardware and reading this thread and Hack-a-day, that almost all I see -- but does an Arduino have the chops for the voice transmission? Is that even an appropriate application of a microcontroller? If it was only going to be one comm unit I could hack up a set of walkie-talkies but I would like to have several of these.

Basically I don't know what's out there for a project like this. I'm much more in tune with the software side of my dumb ideas than the hardware. Please educate me :)

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Some of the literature for the XBee I've seen indicates that it can handle around 9.6kbps of throughput.

That's enough to send voice. Many Ventrilo servers use less than that. It won't be very high quality, though.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Why not a circuit that switches on an FM transmitter and signals the receiving computer to switch to the correct frequency? Do as much of the audio in analog as possible and just use the controllers for advanced following and multiplexing.

I don't know what the FCC has to say about unlicensed FM transmitters, though.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
gently caress the FCC.

Actually, that's a good idea. It's even legal if you just use walkie talkie(49MHz) or CB(27MHz) frequencies.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

My question is twofold:

You can use shift registers I think. 4 8-bit shift registers will give monochromatic control of 256 LEDs. You can either replicate this three times, or use 6 8-bit shift registers and some creative wiring.

Or, you could do one grid with the 4 8-bit shift registers, and turn on the three different colors individually for one third of the time.

Hopefully that helps. I'm really rusty on this stuff.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Actually, this project is a prime candidate for an FPGA-based solution. You can buy FPGAs with hundreds of output pins, all independently controllable. With some careful work you could probably PWM every single pin as well (maybe with one PWM circuit shared between every 16 LEDs or something similar).

You could easily cook up a simple interface (maybe 7-bit LED address, 8-bit data, and a strobe pin) which you could load using your desired microcontroller of choice.

Looking around on Digikey, you can buy a Xilinx Spartan-IIE with 146 I/O pins for about $14. Three of those, an oscillator, some current-limiting resistors and a cheap microcontroller are all the circuitry you would need. Double-check the total drive capacity of one of those FPGAs though - I know each pin is rated for something like 30mA but it would be smart to check the overall power-sink capabilities.

I would recommend using an open-drain topology where the anodes of each LED are tied to the desired voltage rail and each cathode is connected (via current-limiting resistor) to the FPGA's output pins.

Obviously this method is somewhat hardware intensive, but you would get the best results by far (full PWM, any framerate you want, no worries about brightness).

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 7, 2009

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Poopernickel posted:

Actually, this project is a prime candidate for an FPGA-based solution. You can buy FPGAs with hundreds of output pins, all independently controllable. With some careful work you could probably PWM every single pin as well (maybe with one PWM circuit shared between every 16 LEDs or something similar).

You could easily cook up a simple interface (maybe 7-bit LED address, 8-bit data, and a strobe pin) which you could load using your desired microcontroller of choice.

Looking around on Digikey, you can buy a Xilinx Spartan-IIE with 146 I/O pins for about $14. Three of those, an oscillator, some current-limiting resistors and a cheap microcontroller are all the circuitry you would need. Double-check the total drive capacity of one of those FPGAs though - I know each pin is rated for something like 30mA but it would be smart to check the overall power-sink capabilities.

I would recommend using an open-drain topology where the anodes of each LED are tied to the desired voltage rail and each cathode is connected (via current-limiting resistor) to the FPGA's output pins.

Obviously this method is somewhat hardware intensive, but you would get the best results by far (full PWM, any framerate you want, no worries about brightness).

And all you have to do is learn VHDL! :suicide:

For someone with little experience, IO expanders or shift registers are going to take a lot less time to master.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Mill Town posted:

For someone with little experience, IO expanders or shift registers are going to take a lot less time to master.

verilog :colbert:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

catbread.jpg posted:

electrical solutions to an electrical problem :smugdog:

Catbread, thank you man. It worked perfectly.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

Poopernickel posted:

Jeez, 30 mA per pin? I wouldn't be surprised if the total current sinking ability was not too many multiples of that.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Poopernickel posted:

verilog :colbert:

Until you publish a study of suicide rates in Verilog and VHDL programmers vs the general population, I'm not going to believe that one's any better than the other.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

catbread.jpg posted:

Jeez, 30 mA per pin? I wouldn't be surprised if the total current sinking ability was not too many multiples of that.

I just checked the Spartan-II datasheet. It is capable of sourcing or sinking 24mA per pin with no listed global maximum. I'd imagine your standard Xilinx FPGA is actually capable of sinking quite a bit of current.

I mean, an FPGA in open-drain mode (or any open-drain logic chips, for that matter) has FETs inside which provide the ground outputs. So that means you're talking about a DC resistance of (for really lousy FETs) maybe 500mOhm. Compare that against the 100 Ohm resistors being used for current limiting and it's pretty much negligible in terms of how much power the internal FETs need to dissipate. Even if you multiply that amount by 100 I/O pins, it's still pretty negligible.

I think that every single output could be active and the chip would still be cool enough to touch comfortably. After all - there's a fair amount of surface area to dissipate heat uniformly.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 7, 2009

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Does anyone know where I can get some thin surface-mount coincell holders? I'm looking at the CR2016 specifically, but it seems everyone wants you to stack two of them in a CR2032 holder.

Also, to go with this, I'm looking for some thin, bright, cheap SMT LEDs. So far this is the best deal I've found, but it's a bit thick. Is there anything comparable that's a bit thinner?
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=160-1414-1-ND

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

Mill Town posted:

Also, to go with this, I'm looking for some thin, bright, cheap SMT LEDs. So far this is the best deal I've found, but it's a bit thick. Is there anything comparable that's a bit thinner?
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=160-1414-1-ND

Honestly, the best source I've found for cheap LEDs is ebay. They'll take a little longer to ship, and the product description isn't very nice, but they are absolutely dirt cheap.

I mostly buy through-hole LEDs, though, so your mileage may vary.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Mill Town posted:

there are much easier ways than learning to use fpgas and using discrete components. One is ICs that are essentially shift registers whose outputs are configurable current sources. You can daisy chain any amount of them on the same serial bus, so you could operate them all with a single microcontroller.

here's a datasheet for one I've used in the past:
http://www.allegromicro.com/en/Products/Part_Numbers/6278/6278.pdf

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

ANIME AKBAR posted:

there are much easier ways than learning to use fpgas and using discrete components. One is ICs that are essentially shift registers whose outputs are configurable current sources. You can daisy chain any amount of them on the same serial bus, so you could operate them all with a single microcontroller.

here's a datasheet for one I've used in the past:
http://www.allegromicro.com/en/Products/Part_Numbers/6278/6278.pdf

Yeah, that's the same thing I linked in my first answer, just by a different manufacturer.

Corrupt Politician
Aug 8, 2007
Thanks for all the advice. By the way, I'm a college student studying ECE, so I don't worry too much about the learning curve.

Supplying power won't be a problem because I'm going to use a MOSFET to switch each LED on and off, so the FPGA/microcontroller/whatever I use will not be supplying the current.

My original plan was to use a bunch of demuxes so I only needed an 8-bit output on the microcontroller I was using (I was planning on using the MSP430, since it's the only one I've programmed before). The MSP430 would continually refresh the state of the LEDs one at a time (each LED would have a D-Latch to keep it in the same state until refreshed). However, this would require an irritatingly large number of discrete components and connections between them, so I thought you guys might have a better way to do it.

I had actually thought of using an FPGA to do it earlier. (I do know a bit of VHDL, and no, it doesn't make me want to kill myself... though the horrendously buggy Xilinx GUI does.) However, the development boards are expensive (>$200) and the chips themselves are all surface-mount, which I know wouldn't scare a lot of you guys, but I suck pretty bad a soldering (I'm much more of a theory-type guy than hands-on, though I'm trying to remedy this). I mean, how am I supposed to mount something that looks like this:

Though if someone can convince me that it isn't as hard as it looks, I'll consider it.

I hadn't seen those LED driver chips that you guys sent links to. I might use the Allegro one. I'd need something like 15-20 of them, if I'm using the 16-bit part. That would save the need to use latches.

One question that none of these solutions seem to address is how I control all of this with a PC. Is there some sort of board I can get that interfaces CMOS with USB/Serial ports? Ideally, I would like to do away with the microcontroller completely and just use a PC to do all the work. Is this feasible/realistic?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Thanks for all the advice. By the way, I'm a college student studying ECE, so I don't worry too much about the learning curve.

Supplying power won't be a problem because I'm going to use a MOSFET to switch each LED on and off, so the FPGA/microcontroller/whatever I use will not be supplying the current.

My original plan was to use a bunch of demuxes so I only needed an 8-bit output on the microcontroller I was using (I was planning on using the MSP430, since it's the only one I've programmed before). The MSP430 would continually refresh the state of the LEDs one at a time (each LED would have a D-Latch to keep it in the same state until refreshed). However, this would require an irritatingly large number of discrete components and connections between them, so I thought you guys might have a better way to do it.

I had actually thought of using an FPGA to do it earlier. (I do know a bit of VHDL, and no, it doesn't make me want to kill myself... though the horrendously buggy Xilinx GUI does.) However, the development boards are expensive (>$200) and the chips themselves are all surface-mount, which I know wouldn't scare a lot of you guys, but I suck pretty bad a soldering (I'm much more of a theory-type guy than hands-on, though I'm trying to remedy this). I mean, how am I supposed to mount something that looks like this:

Though if someone can convince me that it isn't as hard as it looks, I'll consider it.

I hadn't seen those LED driver chips that you guys sent links to. I might use the Allegro one. I'd need something like 15-20 of them, if I'm using the 16-bit part. That would save the need to use latches.

One question that none of these solutions seem to address is how I control all of this with a PC. Is there some sort of board I can get that interfaces CMOS with USB/Serial ports? Ideally, I would like to do away with the microcontroller completely and just use a PC to do all the work. Is this feasible/realistic?

For soldering, what you need is a skillet: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/tutorial_info.php?tutorials_id=59

As far as connecting PC<->Device, I would recommend using a USB UART chip like the FT232 series:
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=718

You can use the included schematic if you want to design your own board. They also have 'cheaper' FPGA dev boards that would save you some soldering:
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8595
I don't consider $80 cheap, but its better than $200 by a fair margin.

IMHO this is totally doable with an MSP430 (especially since you don't seem to want brightness control). 18 pins + Charlieplexing could take care of your I/O requirements, if you could switch fast enough, and I'm sure there are other options as well.

EDIT: Looking at the numbers and thinking of firmware, it might makre more sense to do 3x11pins, so you have a charlieplexed array for each color - the circuit board is going to be a bitch at this point.

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 7, 2009

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Delta-Wye posted:

For soldering, what you need is a skillet: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/tutorial_info.php?tutorials_id=59

quote:

Cons:

Non-uniform heating area

Skillet sides can burn arms

That's hilarious.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Just to emphasize this - you won't need external MOSFETs if you go with an FPGA and set the pins up as open-drain.

As for assembly, it's totally doable if you know how to solder a little bit already. If you can do SOIC-8s then you can probably handle a TQFP. I've done them by hand before. A TQFP-144 takes me probably between a half-hour and an hour to hand solder.

Youtube has a _ton_ of soldering technique videos which will show you the best ways to solder. For me, when I'm doing a TQFP I usually use the following approach:

1) Align chip on the pad
2) Tack down one corner with a glob of solder. It can touch a few pins, but you want to keep the chip right on location while you do this.
3) Heat and adjust if needed to fix the chip's alignment.
4) Tack down the opposite corner.
5) Squirt flux all over your pins and poo poo.
6) Put a little bit of solder on the tip of your iron. It really doesn't take hardly any solder at all for a single TQFP pin. Emphasis on 'a little bit' of solder.
7) Touch the iron to a pin. Solder that motherfucker.
8) Do the pin next to it. Do it now. Don't refill your soldering iron tip.
9) Once you run out of solder, apply more to the tip and do it again.
10) Have some solder wick on hand for cleaning our solder bridges. You will probably bridge a lot of pins the first time and then a few pins the next time.
11) When you finish the first side, next do the opposite side.
12) Clean off the globs of solder you used for tacking.
13) Two more sides and you're done!

Another good route to do the solder-paste & heat method, with a toaster or a frying pan or something like that. Essentially making a lovely reflow oven. If you want to go this method (great results quickly with some practice), I'd recommend using your regular toaster oven.

You can buy these little dots that change color at a particular temperature (for soldering). Put one on top of your TQFP, stick it in the toaster on medium, and wait until the dot changes color to indicate it's hit the reflow temperature. Then you can turn the heat off, open the door, and wait for it to cool. This method doesn't require any manual dexterity but it does take practice.

I've never used a skillet so I can't comment on how well it works or doesn't work.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
I'm right now in the process of assembling about 25 boards using the skillet/stencil method. I'm finding it's not quite as easy as I expected, but that's probably because I have around fifty 0603 components per board. Simply placing them takes hours. And I'm using lead free solder paste, which I'm starting to regret, since it doesn't flow nearly as nicely as leaded solder does. The skillet I used literally couldn't put out the heat necessary, so I ended up finishing it off with my hot air station.

I was going to make a long post about it, but I don't have a working camera, so it would be kind of pointless.

And if you're not familiar with soldering, using paste or a skillet isn't any easier. It's only useful when you're producing lots of boards, or if you have components that are truly impossible to hand solder (BGA, DFN, etc). I've soldered 144 pin EQFP cyclone II FPGAs (the same package in that picture, I believe) by hand before and they weren't so bad, so long as you have a decent microscope. Took maybe 15 minutes in all.

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 8, 2009

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
One addition - here is the website I used to learn basic SMD soldering: http://www.curiousinventor.com/guides/Surface_Mount_Soldering/

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Poopernickel posted:

I'd recommend using your regular toaster oven.

Get a separate toaster oven, eating soldery food will give you lots of cancer

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Poopernickel posted:

I've never used a skillet so I can't comment on how well it works or doesn't work.

We use a regular hotplate at the lab. It works really well with the caveat that you need to move the work around to compensate for cool spots like the center of the element.

riichiee
Jul 5, 2007
What's a quick and easy program to use to simulate logic gates?

For my course I'm learning how to use Altera Quartus II, but I'm not sure if it can do GUI simulations of logic gates. I can do the waveform simulations, but would like some visual feedback (on the actual wiring diagram) of what's happening.

The Falstad Circuit Simulator worked ok for this, but is just a bit clunky.

Any idea's?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Quartus can do it. Create a block/schematic file.

riichiee
Jul 5, 2007
I've got the Block/Schematic file already created.

Basically, what I was hoping to do (if it's possible) was to click on the Input Pin's to toggle them high/low, to see how that effected the schematic.

Currently I use a simulation waveform, which I can set the timings/values for the input pins, which then gives me the outputs.

I'm using the Web Version and currently just getting my head around the software to see what is/isn't possible.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You want software that can generate gate logic based on inputs/outputs that you specify?

I know that there is stuff on the web that can give you an equation that's usually pretty similar to something you could come up with by hand.
It's not very hard to draw that out with the proper symbology.

A better solution is to do it yourself/learn how to do it yourself, though.

riichiee
Jul 5, 2007
This is basically what I want:

Click here for the full 894x497 image.

I've added the Green/Red lines in paint.

Just to be able to actually set inputs on the schematic high/low and follow the logic through the diagram.

I simulate the logic with the waveform, but at the moment I'm finding it a little clunky, so was hoping for something a little more visual.

Thanks for your help btw ;)

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx
I think Logisim does what you want.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
I came across a circuit to be used for touch sensing. Could anybody here walk me through how/why this is supposed to work ? The input is a 9v square wave. The potentiometer (top right) is supposed to set the trigger touch capacitance (lower right). Output is connected to a FET gate. What's that diode doing there?
code:
     20kHz square 0..9v
         .-----.
         |  G  |
         |_-_-_|--.--------.
         |     |  |        |
         '-----'  |       .-.
          |       '------>|'| 0..200 kOhm
         ===      |       | |
         GND      |       '-'
                  |        |
                  |       .-.
                  |       | |
                  |       | | 15 kOhm
                  |       '-'
                  |        |     47 kOhm
                   >|      |       ___
            PNP     |------'------|___|---.
                   /|                     |
                  |                      ---
                  |                      ---0..300 pF
            diode V                       |
                  -                       |
                  |     signal out        |
                  |                      ===
           .------o--------o             GND
           |      |
          .-.    ---
  470 kOhm| |    --- 0.047 uF
          | |     |
          '-'
           |      |
          ===    ===
          GND    GND

(Glorious ASCII art thanks to AACircuit)

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Well, the lower impedance the capacitance, the more the base of the PNP will be pulled down and the more current will be delivered through the collector into the output. So increasing capacitance should raise the output voltage. The diode is likely keep the collector-base junction from being forward biased when the square wave is low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollynoob
Jan 27, 2009
Hello people smarter than I am, I have a question about three-state logic chips. Say I had a few registers with three-state outputs (in my case, 74hc574's) connected to a bus. What I want to do is have the output enable pins connected to some sort of decoder, so that only one of the outputs will be enabled at any given time. What I'm wondering, though, is if there will be some in-between state as one register is disabling and another is enabling, where the two will short together and damage each other. If I had an oscilloscope I'd test it myself, but I am a hobbyist with no money so that's out of the question for now. Thanks!