Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

dietcokefiend posted:

Stupid question, but how the gently caress do you mount a bike that has luggage on the rear seat. During my trip out to WI with my little camera bag on the back I strained every time I mounted and dismounted, to not rip off the bag. How the gently caress do you get over the thing with your leg?

I swear with some of the bags I have seen those riders need to drop down like ninjas from a roof just to clear the 3 foot case on the rear.

I actually found it easier to mount from the right side, left leg straight out and just sort of fall over the seat (not as clumsy as it sounds), on a Suzuki Boulevard with 2 feet of luggage on the pillion. I actually go so used to it on my trip I kept doing it when I came back until my wife asked me about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Linedance posted:

I passed my M2 exit test the other day. Now I'm fully licensed and can exchange for a UK license. I got dinged for shoulder checks on turns mainly, but still passed with room to spare. Looking at the test form it's pretty much impossible to not get dinged for shoulder checks at some point. I'm glad I did a shoulder check at the urinal before the test, that could have been a costly mistake! ;)
I rode my old VFR which I had sold to my friend. I don't remember it being that uncomfortable! The effortless acceleration in any gear is something I miss a bit, though not at the expense of 50+kg of weight!

What's an M2 exit test? And I was doing fine on my shoulder checks, I actually failed my first test with 2 majors and 2 minors, neither of the minors being shoulder checks.

I only got 3 shoulder check minors on the second test because the shifter broke/slipped and I was so concentrating on that on the way back to the barn, I forgot to do my checks. My tester put the missed shoulder checks down to added nervousness due to a false shift into neutral at a roundabout. Ironically the false shift happened because of the slipping shifter.

And regarding the getting on the bike, I'm lanky enough that I tend to mount the bike from the high side. If I can't swing the leg over the back, I just kick my leg over. There are times when being lanky helps, and then there are times when it sucks (I'm currently being a removal man, I can't tell you how many times I smack my head on doorways and light fittings in new houses).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spiffness posted:

Just goes to show, you can't ever stop looking out for new and creative ways for the road to try and get ya.

I ran over a 4x4 piece of treated lumber on the freeway with a GSXR-600 the day after I bought it. I was so pissed.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

clutchpuck posted:

Hah, I do find that my chucks enable a bit more dexterous use of the shifter than my boots allow.

You know what's the EASIEST way to shift with sandals? Heel shifter.

I am a cruiser sort of dude with a low seat height, but I ran into this challenge last year on my trip to Sturgis, as you can see here . My trick was to kick my right foot straight out in front and hop toward so my foot clears the seat, then pivot and slide on in.

That may have worked, but I bet it was pretty hard to make it look cool.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Orange Someone posted:

What's an M2 exit test? And I was doing fine on my shoulder checks, I actually failed my first test with 2 majors and 2 minors, neither of the minors being shoulder checks.

I only got 3 shoulder check minors on the second test because the shifter broke/slipped and I was so concentrating on that on the way back to the barn, I forgot to do my checks. My tester put the missed shoulder checks down to added nervousness due to a false shift into neutral at a roundabout. Ironically the false shift happened because of the slipping shifter.

And regarding the getting on the bike, I'm lanky enough that I tend to mount the bike from the high side. If I can't swing the leg over the back, I just kick my leg over. There are times when being lanky helps, and then there are times when it sucks (I'm currently being a removal man, I can't tell you how many times I smack my head on doorways and light fittings in new houses).

In Ontario there's graduated licensing. M1 is restricted to daylight hours and no motorways (and some other things I don't remember off hand). M2 is what I had, which is good for 5 years but you have to have it for a minimum of 18 months I think. The only restriction is 0% blood alcohol. The test to get your full license is all on-road, where the testers give you an earpiece and follow behind in a car and tell you what to do. They observe your riding and tick boxes for things like missed shoulder checks, incorrect lane position, etc.
Transferring an M2 is only good enough to get me an A1 (<125cc) license in the UK, but a full M = unrestricted A. I needed to get my test done by October.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Zool posted:

That may have worked, but I bet it was pretty hard to make it look cool.

It's pretty tough to look cool on a BUBF Kawi packed with camping stuff, wearing textile gear, all scrunched up on a bike that's too small. But you do what you can :)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Linedance posted:

I needed to get my test done by October.

Let us know in this thread how it went afterwards. I'm going to go for my full M sooner or later and I'm interested to hear what they ding you for (if at all) while you're out on the street ride.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Why the hell are trials bikes 7-9000 dollars? They are 130 lbs and have little bisty engines. They should be a bit less than 200cc dual sports in my opinion so I could buy one and ride around on the sidewalk/up the side of houses.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gnaghi posted:

Why the hell are trials bikes 7-9000 dollars? They are 130 lbs and have little bisty engines. They should be a bit less than 200cc dual sports in my opinion so I could buy one and ride around on the sidewalk/up the side of houses.

I've been struggling with the same thing. There's very little availability for trials bikes out here so they're absurdly expensive, like 4k+ for an even remotely modern one. :(

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Took my hooptie out for a quick ride yesterday night, felt good to be back on two wheels but MAN was I reminded quickly just how terrible drivers in LA are.

And I need someone to set up my front suspension for me, I know nothing about that and these 2005 YZF forks are pretty adjustable

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

redscare posted:

Took my hooptie out for a quick ride yesterday night, felt good to be back on two wheels but MAN was I reminded quickly just how terrible drivers in LA are.

And I need someone to set up my front suspension for me, I know nothing about that and these 2005 YZF forks are pretty adjustable

I'll tinker with it when you get up to SB. I dunno how much I can do, but I can at least ballpark it for you.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Riding a 140cc Lifan-equipped Honda CT70 from Louisiana to Sturgis: http://www.dualsportridersoflouisiana.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7367

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

8ender posted:

Let us know in this thread how it went afterwards. I'm going to go for my full M sooner or later and I'm interested to hear what they ding you for (if at all) while you're out on the street ride.

I got dinged on shoulder checks mainly. A couple of positional things too, like didn't move right on two of my left turns, and wrong lane-business (was in the left lane, should have been in the right). All in all it went very smoothly and the tester I had was very professional. I was pretty nervous at the start, but once you're riding, you're just riding which is something you can do. You just have to be extremely anal about road rules and do blind spot checks for everything, including shifting your rear end in the seat! :). Here's a copy of my test results so you can see the categories they look at.

Click here for the full 1056x1408 image.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

Low production high performance.

Also, at the end of the season I'm selling my 01 Scorpa SY 250. Engine is perfect, the rear shock bearings have a teeny teeny bit of play, but no linkage so its really easy to do. Just got a new rear caliper.

Requires the best two stroke oils and race fuel.

$2800!

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 1, 2009

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

VTNewb posted:

Low production high performance.

Also, at the end of the season I'm selling my 01 Scorpa SY 250. Engine is perfect, the rear shock bearings have a teeny teeny bit of play, but no linkage so its really easy to do. Just got a new rear caliper.

Requires the best two stroke oils and race fuel.

$2800!

When is the end of the season?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I think my last competition is mid Sept?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The proverbial Next Bike, a new contender arrives.

Ducati ST4S. Comes in newer and older types too, ST2 and ST3.

Supposedly comfy ergos (for the type) with some adjustability, decent aftermarket, great performance and not too bad prices either. Hmmm. Anyone ever throw a leg over one of these?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

The proverbial Next Bike, a new contender arrives.

Ducati ST4S. Comes in newer and older types too, ST2 and ST3.

Supposedly comfy ergos (for the type) with some adjustability, decent aftermarket, great performance and not too bad prices either. Hmmm. Anyone ever throw a leg over one of these?

so that's what I saw in the parking lot today!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Also considering this:

BMW R1100S. Less sex appeal, less power (but not much) but less maintenance and less money. Also easier to get an example with ABS and heated grips and the aftermarket is excellent.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
If you're thinking about BMWs, definitely go for an older model. The AA and RAC (the two biggest breakdown assistance organisations in the UK) have said that they get more call outs for broken BMWs than all other motorbikes due to slipping quality standards in the newer bikes.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Yea, final drive failure seems to be a big issue over at advrider.
Hardcore story, one guy put in a new seal & pressed in new bearings(you've got to freeze the bearing & heat the case) in drat near the middle of nowhere in Chile or maybe Argentina on a 1150GS.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That particular vintage (late 90s, early 00s) of boxers seems pretty solid. If it's not a garage queen it will probably have done enough miles to uncover any monday morning manufacture issues. And unexpected final drive failures are mostly among the newer GSes.

Maintenance on the boxer twin should be quite a bit easier, you could probably do the valves on the side of the road in less than an hour. I don't think the Ducati will be horrible maintenance wise, but considering the Marconi school of wireless grounding I'd probably get a sixpack of Dolce & Gabbana fire extinguishers.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Ola posted:

Also considering this:

BMW R1100S. Less sex appeal, less power (but not much) but less maintenance and less money. Also easier to get an example with ABS and heated grips and the aftermarket is excellent.

I'm kind of surprised people still get away with selling BMWs without factory heated grips and ABS. I spent about 8 months looking into various years and models (mostly K bikes and oilhead GSes, odd combination, yeah) and the biggest thing I noticed was guys that tried to sell bikes without heated grips/abs/and luggage tended to have them sit on the moa site forever, while the bikes with tended to go pretty quickly.

As for the newer reliability, I hear the mid 2000s had some problems with some sort of transponder? some electrical device that picked up a signal to authenticate your ignition key, apparently that would up and decide that you now own a 600 pound lawn chair rather spontaneously and some of the guys out on the road found this rather distressing.

Ive been told the last couple years have got this worked out, though I think I'll stick with the brick, just to be safe.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That's the ring antenna, a rather huge batch was faulty. The bike is completely dead and chances are you are a German accountant somewhere in Britain or maybe a British accountant somewhere in Norway - no friend's around to help you trailer the bike, hence the newer BMWs filling up the breakdown assistance stats.

But yeah, that was a faulty batch so if it's replaced it's good.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...
Personally, I'm stuck deciding between an R1100S and a Triumph Sprint. I've never heard anything good about the ABS on the R1100S though, so you might want to reconsider that option.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

laymil posted:

Personally, I'm stuck deciding between an R1100S and a Triumph Sprint. I've never heard anything good about the ABS on the R1100S though, so you might want to reconsider that option.

Yeah, I've been reading about that. My city has lots of cobblestone, that would probably wreak havoc with it. I've been checking out the Sprint too, the 1050 is too much money for me, the older ones don't look good enough. A testride might change my mind of course.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Retarded Pimp posted:

Yea, final drive failure seems to be a big issue over at advrider.
Hardcore story, one guy put in a new seal & pressed in new bearings(you've got to freeze the bearing & heat the case) in drat near the middle of nowhere in Chile or maybe Argentina on a 1150GS.

A lot of BMW chauvinists are in denial over this very real problem. Of all the bikes I have owned, and there have been a bunch, only 2 have ever needed to be carried home. One was a BSA that I ran out of gas, and the go-to bike of the wannabe world traveler BMW GS was the other. It's not a horribly difficult repair but I am pretty loving tired of having to do it.

RichBomb
Nov 16, 2004
a strange and terrible saga
1982 KZ 1000 with 400 miles, http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/1309994049.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RichBomb posted:

1982 KZ 1000 with 400 miles, http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/1309994049.html

Ugh, too bad its the cruiser.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

RichBomb posted:

He's asking too much unless you want a museum piece. It's 27 years old and it's only been ridden 17 miles a year. I wouldn't trust it.

You could buy a decent KZ1000 cop bike and have it shipped to you for that price.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 7, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Gnomad posted:

A lot of BMW chauvinists are in denial over this very real problem.
even the BMWMOA magazine has acknowledged the issue and almost came around to criticizing BMW for it. they said it was something about the pressure put on the bearing. but they also implied the pressure was adjustable, making it really just an assembly issue, which it doesnt really look like it would be in that picture. but then i'm not familiar with those single sided swingarm contraptions.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Selling a motorcycle on Craigslist has to be one of the most frustrating things ever. :argh:

No I don't want to trade your lovely car for my lovely motorcycle, and no I won't take $450 cash when I said $750 cash firm in the god drat post.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The worst craigslist experience I've ever had was trying to sell my 77 CB750.

I had one guy who left after learning that it wasnt fuel injected, another was disappointed that it wasnt a Honda CBR750RR, another guy wanted to give me $200 for it and acted like I was the rear end in a top hat when I told him no.

:psypop:

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

Phat_Albert posted:

The worst craigslist experience I've ever had was trying to sell my 77 CB750.

I had one guy who left after learning that it wasnt fuel injected, another was disappointed that it wasnt a Honda CBR750RR, another guy wanted to give me $200 for it and acted like I was the rear end in a top hat when I told him no.

:psypop:

Does a price point really not dissuade people from meeting with you and offering well below an acceptable price? I kinda figured most of that filtering could be done via email. Maybe I trust people too much.

I'm considering trying to sell my truck via cl soon, which is why I'm interested.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

sklnd posted:

Does a price point really not dissuade people from meeting with you and offering well below an acceptable price? I kinda figured most of that filtering could be done via email. Maybe I trust people too much.

I'm considering trying to sell my truck via cl soon, which is why I'm interested.

No. I listed mine for 1000 initially, and I had emails offering 400$ cash...when I asked for cash only. I had several then call only to lowball me on the phone. I met one guy at the storage place where the bike was and offered me 600$ after we had agreed upon 800 on the phone.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

NeuralSpark posted:

No. I listed mine for 1000 initially, and I had emails offering 400$ cash...when I asked for cash only. I had several then call only to lowball me on the phone. I met one guy at the storage place where the bike was and offered me 600$ after we had agreed upon 800 on the phone.

I sold a '69 Coupe Deville on CL a few years ago. One guy offered to trade me a fishing boat. My favorite offered to trade a warehouse full of those holiday popcorn tins.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I made my 86 GS550ES run today. It's not running "well" but it could with someone more dedicated to it than I am. My goal in making it run was to just prove it didn't have broken parts throughout the bike. Goal achieved.

What is good on the bike:
*Has all plastic
*Has good working engine
*Has good working charging system
*complete turn signal set
*Dynojet kit
*Has Title

The bad:
*leaks if left on prime
*Complete plastic is missing some mounting pins
*battery is completely shot
*Tires are toast
*chain is toast

The ugly:
*Mom wants it out of the garage
*I'm loving tired of staring at it. Get it out of the garage!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZBKI0YnRcc

If anyone is interested, it's located about 20 minutes north of chicago, and you can take it for what I paid for it. (that's $430) Else it's going up on ebay.

I also got my 83's speedo working again. I bought a 1984 GS550L speedo drive. Evidnetly they changed hub design from the ES to L models. I had to severely trim down the casting to make it fit. Twenty minutes with an angle grinder and all was well. I now have a speedo again.

Now if I could only get my buddy to come take the 1977 GS550 frame from the garage.. I'd be a happy camper.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Excellent.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Excellent.

talk about adding insult to injury, hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Nerobro posted:

If anyone is interested, it's located about 20 minutes north of chicago, and you can take it for what I paid for it. (that's $430) Else it's going up on ebay.

If you're serious I've got a buddy that might be interested in that for his first bike. I didn't know you were in Chicago... I still haven't worked up the courage to drill out my carb plugs. I'm about 30 minutes south-west, think maybe we can meet up sometime? Putting together a small group ride for the end of this month too that you might be interested in.

You don't have PM's so e-mail me re: the bike, the carbs, or the ride when you've got a chance. halo.gray - gmail - com