Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

toenut posted:

My celery is still barely coming out of the ground after two months, so you are way ahead of mine. I've never done celery before, so I don't know what to expect.

Also, I must have missed one zucchini when I harvested this weekend because today I found this one that has grown to an epic size.

That's very typical of Zucchini. The reason you don't see them that size is it makes them usless for pretty much anything but baking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucifer
Mar 23, 2004

In Australia at the moment (winter) Coriander seems to thrive - it likes a good bit of sun but some cooler weather. Good to plant a few different batches because in cooking more is better.. it takes well to a small amount of well nourished soil. This is the LEAVE coriander and not the SEED coriander. You need to look out for the difference in seeds because it makes a huge difference to your yield, obviously. Seeds are good dried and stored but leaves/stalks are FANTASTIC used fresh as a last minute addition to curries and stir fries, or as a marinade ingredient.

Chajara
Jan 18, 2005

Hey guys, is there any chance that my strawberries might have Verticillium Wilt if they're in containers? They're Bonnie strawberries I bought from Lowe's this spring and planted in pots using Miracle Gro soil. Since this is only my second container garden and my first time growing strawberries I thought it was normal for the outer leaves to be wilting and shriveling up, because new green healthy leaves always sprang up in abundance right behind them. But now my plants are starting to look exceedingly thin and when I googled it, the pictures of Verticillium Wilt look like what's happening. I'm just confused because most of the pictures I saw were of strawberries in the ground, not in pots. I was under the impression that having my stuff in containers meant that they'd be disease free. :( Perhaps my hopes were too high.

At least my pole beans are starting to get some flowers again. I thought they'd decided to call it quits after producing just a handful of beans during the middle of July.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

doctor_god posted:

I've been growing vegetables indoors under fluorescent grow lights. A month or two ago, my tomato got some kind of weird leaf disease (a fungus?) and pretty much died. I got rid of it in the hopes that whatever hit it wouldn't spread to the other plants, and things seemed alright until recently, but now my peppers seem to have the same issue. The leaves get dry, whitish blotches covered in black specks, then leaves start falling off starting at the base of the plant and moving upwards. Here's a picture of an affected leaf:

Any idea what this might be? After I got rid of the tomato, I discarded the potting soil I was using and scrubbed and bleached the pots.

Could be late blight.

quote:

Late Blight on Tomato and Potatoes

Garden retailers and landscapers should be aware of Late Blight caused by Phytophthora infestans – a very destructive and very infectious disease that kills tomato and potato plants in gardens and on commercial farms in the eastern U.S.

Late blight is the same disease that caused the Irish Potato Famine in the 1840s. It has been in the US for over a century, but it has never occurred this early and this widespread. It not only threatens home gardens, but also the thousands of acres of commercial potatoes and tomatoes that are grown in Massachusetts and across New England. The disease has been diagnosed on tomato transplants throughout the Northeast. Infected plants were distributed throughout the region by several plant retailers this spring. This disease is not seed borne however, it is exceptionally contagious, and can spread to tomato plants on retail shelves not involved in the original and initial source of the inoculum.

Late blight, affects both potato and tomato crops. It produces spores very rapidly and these move very easily from one garden or field to others, because the spores are easily carried in wind currents to infect susceptible plants in even the most remote area in our region. All tomato and potato plants grown in home gardens and in commercial fields are susceptible to late blight!

What to Look For

The most common early symptoms on tomato transplants are brown lesions on stems, with white fungal growth developing under moist conditions.

Symptoms appear as large (at least nickel-sized) olive-green to brown spots on leaves with slightly fuzzy white fungal growth on the underside when conditions have been humid or wet. Sometimes the lesion border is yellow or has a water-soaked appearance. Leaf lesions begin as tiny, irregularly shaped brown spots. Brown to blackish lesions also develop on upper stems. Firm, brown spots develop on tomato fruit. Late blight can be confused with early blight and Septoria leaf spot, two common diseases found in home gardens. If the lesion has a yellow border and is occurring on the bottom of the plant, it is likely due to infection of either early blight or Septoria leaf spot.

Photo gallery of what to look for:

http://www.hort.cornell.edu/department/Facilities/lihrec/vegpath/photos/lateblight_tomato.htm
http://blogs.cornell.edu/hort/2009/06/26/late-blight-a-serious-disease-killing-tomatoes-and-potatoes-this-year/

To confirm a diagnosis contact the University of Massachusetts Plant Diagnostic Laboratory, (413) 545-3208 or see http://www.umass.edu/agland/diagnostics/index.html. There is a $50 fee for lab diagnostics.

Management

If symptoms are already appearing on plants, remove plants, place in a plastic bag, seal and discard in the trash or completely bury plants deep enough underground so plants decompose and will not re-sprout. Do not put the plants in a compost pile as spores will still spread from this debris.

To manage late blight with fungicides, treat before symptoms appear. Use a product that contains chlorothalonil listed as the active ingredient on the label. There are ready- to- use formulations available. Fungicides are only effective if used before the disease appears and should be reapplied every 5-7 days if wet weather persists. Chlorothalonil is a protectant fungicide, with no systemic movement in the plant, so thorough coverage is necessary. For organic farmers and gardeners, the options are very limited, since only copper fungicides can be used, and copper is not very effective on late blight.

Even with fungicide applied every week, there is no guarantee of success, especially if the rainy weather continues.

For more information, see

http://www.umassvegetable.org/index.html

Your browser may not support display of this image.

UMass Extension Agriculture and Landscape Program

June 29, 2009

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
4 zucchine plants seems like a lot, my family generally had 1 or 2 and we always had waaaayyyy too many zucs to eat.

They're good sliced into thick strips, rolled in olive oil and herbs and tossed on the grill, though.

doctor_god
Jun 9, 2002

Richard Noggin posted:

Could be late blight.

That's not it, but one of your links pointed me towards some info on Septoria leaf spot, which looks pretty much exactly like what I have. Thanks!

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin
A hungry opossum is eating all of my ripened tomatoes. He's very picky and goes after only the ones that are perfectly ripe.

Last weekend when he climbed the vine, he broke off a branch with two nice bunches of green tomatoes.

To combat this, I've been picking the tomatoes a few days before they're fully ripe and this seems to be working, but I'd rather not have to be so vigilant.

Is there an easy way to keep this thing away from my tomatoes without doing something extreme like netting off my plant, or trapping, or poisoning the little fucker?

Banana Factory
Mar 14, 2009

plasticbugs posted:

A hungry opossum is eating all of my ripened tomatoes. He's very picky and goes after only the ones that are perfectly ripe.

Last weekend when he climbed the vine, he broke off a branch with two nice bunches of green tomatoes.

To combat this, I've been picking the tomatoes a few days before they're fully ripe and this seems to be working, but I'd rather not have to be so vigilant.

Is there an easy way to keep this thing away from my tomatoes without doing something extreme like netting off my plant, or trapping, or poisoning the little fucker?

Depending on your local area, animal control may provide free trap rentals and animal pickup if you have an animal complaint. Putting a ripe tomato in one of those animal traps shouldn't be that extreme of a measure, especially if it's only one possum.

I've never heard of any other methods that are effective at getting rid of possums other then the ones you listed right there.

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin

Banana Factory posted:

Depending on your local area, animal control may provide free trap rentals and animal pickup if you have an animal complaint. Putting a ripe tomato in one of those animal traps shouldn't be that extreme of a measure, especially if it's only one possum.

I've never heard of any other methods that are effective at getting rid of possums other then the ones you listed right there.

I'll give animal control a call. For what it's worth, I'm in Venice, CA. Also, I think the foul new smell in my tiny backyard may be opossum urine.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Banana Factory posted:

I have! It's called a .22 rifle.

Forbidden Donut
Mar 19, 2006
mmm....
I have a question regarding my roma tomatoes. I have a couple of plants in containers and the plants themselves seem really healthy and started putting out some tomatoes a few weeks ago. For a while they were getting bigger and everything seemed to be fine, but now they've kind of stopped growing and they're still putting out lots of new flowers. Is this something I should be concerned about or am I just being impatient. I had read that it could be due to lack of pruning? I'll try to get a picture on here of their current state in a while. Any tips are appreciated.

Here are some pics of the plant in question

Click here for the full 1368x1026 image.

And a close up of some of the fruit

Forbidden Donut fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 6, 2009

Banana Factory
Mar 14, 2009

Forbidden Donut posted:

I have a question regarding my roma tomatoes. I have a couple of plants in containers and the plants themselves seem really healthy and started putting out some tomatoes a few weeks ago. For a while they were getting bigger and everything seemed to be fine, but now they've kind of stopped growing and they're still putting out lots of new flowers. Is this something I should be concerned about or am I just being impatient. I had read that it could be due to lack of pruning? I'll try to get a picture on here of their current state in a while. Any tips are appreciated.

Here are some pics of the plant in question

And a close up of some of the fruit

I think it's just because your pot is only so big. i think if you transplant, then the tomato will grow more. but if it's putting out fruit like that, then i wouldn't fix something that isn't broken :)

I wish my tomatoes looked like yours. Mine are under constant assault from hordes of insects and it shows. Every day I have to pick off worms. I found out I could just remove the hornworm eggs before they hatch, and I've been removing a few every day.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Does anyone have any advice when to harvest peppers?

I have Chili, Jalapeno and Bell peppers and they all look great, but they don't seem to be ripe yet. Unfortunately, they are getting black marks on them like previously mentioned. (My chili's are still green :()

I'm not sure what to do!

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Banana Factory posted:

I think it's just because your pot is only so big. i think if you transplant, then the tomato will grow more. but if it's putting out fruit like that, then i wouldn't fix something that isn't broken :)

I wish my tomatoes looked like yours. Mine are under constant assault from hordes of insects and it shows. Every day I have to pick off worms. I found out I could just remove the hornworm eggs before they hatch, and I've been removing a few every day.

I wouldn't transplant while it's flowering/fruiting, but yeah, that pot is too small. You also know to leave any hornworms with white spots on them, right? Those are wasp eggs that feed off the hornworm, eventually killing it when they come out of the cocoon. They'll spread to other hornworms, killing them as well.

Forbidden Donut
Mar 19, 2006
mmm....
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I figured it was the pot, though it's a little bigger than it appears in that picture, a bout a foot deep or so, still i know they like to have a lot of room for roots. I've tried pruning to see if that helps at all. Next year I'll get some of those buckets from Home Depot or something.

I was actually amazed at how little problems I've had with the tomato plants themselves in regards to pests. When I was younger my dad was always fighting with the hornworms I haven't seen any this year though.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Richard Noggin posted:

hornworms...

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
Oh sweet jesus I hope that's fake. :downs:

Banana Factory
Mar 14, 2009

Richard Noggin posted:

I wouldn't transplant while it's flowering/fruiting, but yeah, that pot is too small. You also know to leave any hornworms with white spots on them, right? Those are wasp eggs that feed off the hornworm, eventually killing it when they come out of the cocoon. They'll spread to other hornworms, killing them as well.

If I ever saw a hornworm like that I would keep it in a jar with some leaves from weeds till those eggs hatched. that said, i've never seen any such thing. I keep the porch lights on at night sometimes to make frogs congregate around my garden but beyond that i've never seen evidence of beneficial animals lurking around my place.

I just realized those porch lights might be attracting the hornworm's moth too. Maybe I should try leaving them off.

Richard Noggin posted:

Oh sweet jesus I hope that's fake. :downs:

yeah, me too. Too bad it isn't

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.

MarshallX posted:

I have Chili, Jalapeno and Bell peppers and they all look great, but they don't seem to be ripe yet. Unfortunately, they are getting black marks on them like previously mentioned. (My chili's are still green :()

I'm not sure what to do!

Someone responded to that, not sure if you saw--many peppers turn blackish/purplish before they turn red, probably just that. Did you let those go to see? Alternatively, it could be sun scald, they will taste just fine.

For anything I pick green (for me, Jalepenos--some like them red but I don't, Anaheims, and Poblanos) I wait until they have stopped getting bigger and squeeze them a bit--if they are really rock hard I let them be a bit longer. Also, they feel kind of looser from the stem than when they are immature. Some Jalepenos show corking (crack lines) when ready, some don't. If it came with a marker and you still have it you can look up the cultivar to see if it does or not. Bells are the easiest, if you want them green pick when they stop getting bigger, if you want them red/yellow/orange wait. 'Chili' is a pretty generic term so no advice there, depends on what 'Chili' it is.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.
I recently lost of my three watermellons They were only a little larger than a golf ball and recently split almost in half with a deep crack. Should I leave them on the vine or pull them? I wouldn't think they would still grow but that's why I'm here

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Ridonkulous posted:

I recently lost of my three watermellons They were only a little larger than a golf ball and recently split almost in half with a deep crack. Should I leave them on the vine or pull them? I wouldn't think they would still grow but that's why I'm here

That crack happened because they didn't get water consistently. If a fruiting plant suffers a mini-drought then gets a big rain or watering at once, the fruit will take on water so fast that it cracks. It's just cosmetic; it won't harm the fruit's taste in any way, at least not for watermelons. That scar can sometimes be tough to bite through for fruits where you do eat the skin, but again not a problem for melons.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

MarshallX posted:

I'm not sure what to do!

That was me that responded earlier... Here's a more detailed answer. When to harvest peppers depends on the type of pepper and your own preference. Chiles and other hot peppers are ripe when they are red/orange/dark purple all over, exact size and color depends on the species and cultivar. Keep in mind that dark purple can also be a transition color, especially when they first start to ripen.

Jalapenos get grouped into hot peppers too. Traditionally they are presented while still green, but if left on the plant they will turn a bright red when fully ripe. Again this is your preference, but they're full sized and ready to eat at around 3 to 4 inches long, regardless of color.

Banana peppers are a little different in that they'll take on a greenish yellow when ripening. Again according to your preference they can be picked at this stage, but they will take on a red color when fully ripe.

Bell peppers are like jalapenos in that they can be eaten when green and not quite ripe yet. Depending on the cultivar, they can ripen into a yellow/orange/red/purple color. They're ready to pick while they're still green at about 3.5 to 4 inches in diameter, but they will be slightly less sweet. Bell peppers really develop their sweetness when they take on their final color.

Grisly Grotto
Jun 17, 2003

Are sure you should fight tonight? You don't look well.

well here's my somewhat ridiculous possum proof setup. Plants are growing pretty well now.

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin
Forgive my ignorance. I live in Venice, CA and I'm not quite sure what the lifecycle will be with my pepper and tomato plants.

I have one Roma and one Beefsteak tomato plant and I have several varieties of Peppers (Jalapeno, Cayenne, etc.).

Based on what I've read, my plants should continue fruiting year-round. Does that mean that year-after-year the same plants will keep fruiting?

Also, if it does get cold enough for my plants to go dormant in the winter, will I have to pull my plants up and replant new ones next season?

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

Forbidden Donut posted:

roma tomatoes

The Roma variety of tomatoes is determinate, which means that it will grow to a certain point and then just put out one big load of fruit pretty much all at once. This of course makes it ideal for canning and sauce making, but not so great if you're looking for tomatoes for everyday use. If you want a tomato that fruits all summer long you need to get an indeterminate variety next year. If you want an indeterminate plum tomato, the San Marzano is a good variety.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

plasticbugs posted:

Based on what I've read, my plants should continue fruiting year-round. Does that mean that year-after-year the same plants will keep fruiting?

Also, if it does get cold enough for my plants to go dormant in the winter, will I have to pull my plants up and replant new ones next season?

Yes, to a point. Tomatoes and peppers both originated in South and Central America, where it remains hot enough in the winter to grow year-round. However like Marchegiana mentioned, determinate varieties will put out all their fruit at once then die, so perennials must be indeterminate ones.

However, you will still run into problems if you garden tomatoes in one spot indefinitely. Tomatoes and peppers naturally are low growing plants that will layer themselves wherever they touch the dirt again. These new roots farther up the stem means that the plant has a shorter distance to carry nutrients from the roots to the fruits. If you're like most people and keep your tomatoes tied up in a cage off the ground, then as the plant grows distance from roots to fruit will only become longer and as a result the fruits will be smaller. One way around this is to chop off a few of the new tips, cut the main shoot at the ground, stick the shoots in the dirt and water them. They'll readily re-root themselves, and you'll have a clone of the parent just like nothing.

Tomatoes and peppers will openly reseed themselves (cherry tomatoes are infamous for this), but depending on the variety, the fruits of any offspring probably won't remain true to the parents'. This is really a problem for hybrid cultivars, where all bets are off for what their offspring will turn out like.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Alright, I finally moved into my new place and unpacked enough that I can think about the yard. Unfortunately/fortunately (depending on how you look at it) the place has a terribly overgrown little-old-lady flower/herb garden which has pretty much taken over the front fence on both sides since the house was vacated last sprint or winter, and the partially shaded areas under the filbert tree and holly tree (anybody know if these trees have any major affects on soil ph/etc?) are completely overgrown with brush and volunteer filbert trees.

My gardening background is that I grew up wild in the nursery my parents owned, then they sold it off to be "hobby" farmers. Thus I spent hundreds of hours in gardens and fields growing up but a lot of the minutia have been lost over the last decade of two of living in dormitories, apartments, and crack houses.

So first off, I'm planning on clearing a great deal of the flowers and weeds and getting as much of the "garden" area marked out as possible, and getting in some stuff this fall.

I live in the Willamette valley, Oregon (seems to be between a 6b and 7b on the hardiness zone scale.)

This is my question: outside of garlic and artichokes, what is good to plant in August/September? I'd like to get a few things into the ground this fall, and I've got roughly 2 or 2 1/2 months before the cold and rain really picks up here.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

coyo7e posted:

This is my question: outside of garlic and artichokes, what is good to plant in August/September? I'd like to get a few things into the ground this fall, and I've got roughly 2 or 2 1/2 months before the cold and rain really picks up here.

Onions, that's about it for veggies. You could put some bush or tree crops in the ground during the fall too.

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin

kid sinister posted:

One way around this is to chop off a few of the new tips, cut the main shoot at the ground, stick the shoots in the dirt and water them.

So I shouldn't uproot the main shoot and throw it on my compost heap? Instead I should cut it off at the base? Is there a reason for not uprooting the whole structure and just planting the tips?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

plasticbugs posted:

So I shouldn't uproot the main shoot and throw it on my compost heap? Instead I should cut it off at the base? Is there a reason for not uprooting the whole structure and just planting the tips?

You could if you want to, I just said to cut it off at the ground for your own convenience.

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine
I'm following this calendar for my fall crop http://www.portlandnursery.com/plants/docs/veggies/veggie_calendar.pdf

Banana Factory
Mar 14, 2009
The grasshoppers around here are getting bigger and developing new colors on their bright green bodies. They became less of a problem when we cut back a lot of the weeds near my container garden- now the new growth just about matches the rate of destruction. I saw one today with what looks like a giant boner coming out it's back end and loving racing stripes. Screw grasshoppers.

This is really not a good area to do gardening in, right next to a swamp in North Carolina. I'm starting to get suspicious that the copious amounts of frogs around here eat my plants too, since they don't seem to take care of any of the goddamn bugs.

Banana Factory fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 11, 2009

Chajara
Jan 18, 2005

My strawberries definitely seem to be dying. I guess I'll replace them next year. :(

Plenty of pole beans and tomatoes, though. I also started some seeds today so I can have plenty of leafy greens this fall.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
Since nobody in GWS likes my gardening posts, I'll cross-post this here.

My tomaterz and pepperz are going loving GANGBUSTERS!!!

Roasted red pepper soup is going to happen soon.

I have lots and lots of red pepper plants and they seem to be setting 10+ peppers EACH.

Good thing I have the big chest freezer.

Roma tomatoes

Red bell peppers

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

kid sinister posted:

Onions, that's about it for veggies. You could put some bush or tree crops in the ground during the fall too.
Thanks, I don't think I'm planning on putting in any bushes or trees (there are two mature and fairly healthy blueberries here already, and plenty of trees.)

I talked to my folks and they're coming up this weekend with a truck full of gardening/landscaping tools and seeds and fertilizer - they say that I can probably put in Artichokes, Broccoli, Garlic, Lettuce, Peas, Radishes, Spinach, Turnips.. I wasn't aware that onions were good for fall planting though, oregonstate.edu's horticulture site shows them as only being suitable for planting March and May in the valley - it's VERY damp here in a couple months and I don't think onions would do well with that..?

Project yard/garden pics from before I start (red = already cut out, yellow = intending to cutout or seriously cut back, prserving a few of the more valuable things that're hiding under all the vines and weeds):

Front view (faces West) - overgrown (over waist-high) rosemary on both sides of the entrance, smoe lemon mint and other herbs are spread along the fence but it mostly looks like a wildflower seed mix that's taken over, over the last couple of years. I'll be weed-eating most of this and I've trimmed the rosemary down to knee-height - the honey and bumble-bees hate me for it and the neighbors think I'm crazy - around here rosemary is essentially a weed, and it'll be back full strength shortly no matter what I do unless I cut out the roots.

North-East corner of the front yard (northwest end of the house outside my bedroom window), I'm planning on cutting back all the flowering crap on the right, and limbing the (10-12 feet tall, holy poo poo I've never seen one that tall!) acer palmatum dissectum that you can see overhanging from where I'm taking the pic (I'm tall so I'm already sick of bending under branches).. No idea what to put in that dirt but it gets pretty good afternoon and evening light, with shade early and light shade later in the day.

South-West corner of front, the red is where I've already cleared down to dirt and roots. There are two fairly healthy blueberry bushes in the bottom-right corner of that pic, in the middle of the yard. I don't remember what the round plant with the balls of pinkish/purpley flowers are, but it's pretty cool and I want to keep it in the middle there at least until spring when I will have a better idea of how much space to work with..

The South-East corner, the tough part.. It's overshadowed by a holly tree (on the left) and a filbert, both of which have become overgrown badly. I intend to cut back all the brush on the ground in there, and limb the trees up to a few inches to a foot over the top of the (5 or 6 foot tall) fence, hopefully this will let in some more light.. I don't know how the soil is under there or if there'll be enough sun even after clearing it out, however worst-case I will lay down brick to extend to rest of the paved area around the deck and back of the house.. I'd prefer to get something in there that'd be edible, and probably a composter in the corner.

Ideas, comments, concerns? Am I doing something dumb? Last night I spent a couple/few hours cutting back the crap that was taking over the front fence.. Got a pretty big pile of brush and rose branches and prickly thorns, before I realzied that I had no wheelbarrow and the gates were too small to take a brush-covered barrow through in any case.. :downsrim:

Next step is to sketch out a landscaping map so I have something useful to work with - my camera batteries died! :(

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 12, 2009

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Checked my tomatoes last night and I have two that are a nice deep orange. Trying to decide how to enjoy my first ripe tomatoes of the season. Hopefully they'll be ready this weekend.

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Every King needs his jester
Anyone do much indoor gardening? Moving from a house in Florida with a year round garden outside to an apartment in DC with no south facing window is a bit of a difference, but I'd still like to have some fresh stuff.

Currently thinking of getting a planter or two with a fluorescent grow light of some kind for some herbs and greens.

Probably basil, thyme, maybe parsley or cilantro, whatever, I can figure that out.

About the greens though, any recommendations on what works well indoors, and preferably can be harvested continuously, and doesn't grow too big? Of course, also has to taste good, I don't want to waste my time on anything even close to iceberg lettuce. Thanks.

Banana Factory
Mar 14, 2009

kalicki posted:

Anyone do much indoor gardening? Moving from a house in Florida with a year round garden outside to an apartment in DC with no south facing window is a bit of a difference, but I'd still like to have some fresh stuff.

Currently thinking of getting a planter or two with a fluorescent grow light of some kind for some herbs and greens.

Probably basil, thyme, maybe parsley or cilantro, whatever, I can figure that out.

About the greens though, any recommendations on what works well indoors, and preferably can be harvested continuously, and doesn't grow too big? Of course, also has to taste good, I don't want to waste my time on anything even close to iceberg lettuce. Thanks.

You should probably focus on herbs like the ones you listed, where you harvest the leaves which renew themselves much faster then fruits will. oregano, sage, marjoram, rosemary are other herbs that can be grown in container indoors. I don't know how the flavor will be impacted, not having full sunlight and all though.

For leafy greens, you should look up "microgreens" in google. It might be perfect for your situation.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

kalicki posted:

I bought a smallish(~6") rosemary plant from Lowes last year on the cheap, and it has maybe grown another five inches at most. For the better part of the year I have to keep it inside , and while my windows face south, there is a building fifteen feet away that is just as tall and limits the amount of light I get each day.

Also, if you can get a deal on the Aerogarden I'd suggest buying one. I got one for Christmas that kept me in basil, oregano and thyme until I could get my seedlings planted outdoors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ Inside in a container, rosemary will stay very manageable. It grows almost like a weed in most temperate climates though, I think, and it can get HUGE.. The flowers on the rosemary at my new place were literalyl as tall as my shoulder (and I'm 6'3".) BTW, that's rosemary on either side of the gate in my picture below - it was nearly as tall as the fence NOT counting the flower-towers, before I cut back like 60%-70% of it..

I need to get myself some work/gardening gloves - my hands are torn to poo poo from the last couple days weeding and brushwhacking.. I finally struck dirt, though! I will probably get it cleaned up and fertilized and turned-over enough to put some stuff in the ground this weekend if things go as planned. :D

Buddha only frowns at me, he smiles at the people on the street, though.. Ingrate.

Banana Factory posted:

You should probably focus on herbs like the ones you listed, where you harvest the leaves which renew themselves much faster then fruits will. oregano, sage, marjoram, rosemary are other herbs that can be grown in container indoors. I don't know how the flavor will be impacted, not having full sunlight and all though.

For leafy greens, you should look up "microgreens" in google. It might be perfect for your situation.
This is spot-on, and microgreens are really tasty.. I looove sunflower microgreens.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 13, 2009