Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

pr0digal posted:

I'm not annoyed at my friend or his brother's band but Unearth is pulling some weird poo poo. Pictures to be used for a world wide DVD release given to you for free?

gently caress that

Yeah, walk away unless your childhood dream has been to do a concert shoot of Unearth. You'll be putting in several hours of labour for nothing, not even a case of beer or whatever.

There will be other opportunities along the line.

Seriously, hook up with a local publication, whether print or online. That'll help you cut through a lot of the BS and you'll actually get your stuff published and credited properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

pr0digal posted:

gently caress that
Are bands always this way? Jesus Christ, I thought brides could be bad.

Tell them the reason they have to pay for full-size images is because they are working on a DVD to be released world wide.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I always respond to questions like that with something along the lines of "oh ok, next time they play a free gig I'll do some free photos."

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

HPL posted:

Yeah, walk away unless your childhood dream has been to do a concert shoot of Unearth. You'll be putting in several hours of labour for nothing, not even a case of beer or whatever.

There will be other opportunities along the line.

Seriously, hook up with a local publication, whether print or online. That'll help you cut through a lot of the BS and you'll actually get your stuff published and credited properly.

I think I will be doing just that. Time to do some rooting around for local music mags/zines/blogs/websites that are looking for somebody to shoot a few shows every once in a while.

My jaw pretty much dropped in astonishment when I read the latest message. I've deal with some bands that are pretty much douchbags in more ways than one but this takes the loving cake.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
I have read through this thread as well as the business thread, none of the arguments have really swayed me into the believe that charging $50 an hour or more is a "reasonable fee".

Basically what you're saying is that because there is a chance for you to capture a "London Calling" shot, you should charge an arm and a leg. That's the equivalent of saying that because a powerball ticket could earn you several million dollars it should be 1,000 a ticket. The odds of you catching a shot like that, and the band becoming that famous both happening are pretty slim, hell even the odds of one happening is fairly unlikely. You can charge that and probably get away with it a few times here and there, but if you want to continually get work you're better off charging more reasonable rates. Granted this is all depending on the results. If you gave me 100+ "good" or better pictures, $300 would probably be an acceptable fee.

Here's an idea that just sparked in my head:
Charge my rate for the actual session, then show them the pictures, tell them they can have full ownership of any picture for X per picture, or Y per 5/10 pictures. Or if they want the lot, charge them the $300. That seems like the best of both worlds, and something that even a band/label on a budget could agree to.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Bottom Liner posted:

I always respond to questions like that with something along the lines of "oh ok, next time they play a free gig I'll do some free photos."

or tell them you'll give them free photos if they're giving their dvd's away for free.

I'd post that story on an Unearth messageboard or something too (if one exists). Bands should be held responsible for poo poo like that, best way to do that is by making them look like dicks in front of their fans.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

MMD3 posted:

or tell them you'll give them free photos if they're giving their dvd's away for free.

I'd post that story on an Unearth messageboard or something too (if one exists). Bands should be held responsible for poo poo like that, best way to do that is by making them look like dicks in front of their fans.

Or post it in the "Concert Photography" group on Flickr. The folks there love tearing that poo poo apart plus a lot of really good concert photographers post there.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

pr0digal posted:

An update on the Unearth show on the 22nd (rockcity you are going to love this).

I just got this message back from my contact after telling him that I would send the band web sized pictures for their myspace/website:

Seriously? What the gently caress?

and some more hosed up reasoning

I'm not annoyed at my friend or his brother's band but Unearth is pulling some weird poo poo. Pictures to be used for a world wide DVD release given to you for free?

gently caress that
Ahahahaha. SORRY DUDE. YOU BLEW IT. UNEARTH. ONCE IN A LIFETIME BRO, ONCE IN A LIFETIME. UNEARTH. Who?

The balls of these people are unbelievable. Though I almost prefer to believe that "worldwide DVD release" poo poo is supposed to be a sardonic jab, "you're just being soo unreasonable, man, we're just a little band, it's not like we've got a worldwide DVD release coming up and wanna rip off all your precious pictures, dork. Hey that's really funny, put that in the email."

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

pwn posted:

Ahahahaha. SORRY DUDE. YOU BLEW IT. UNEARTH. ONCE IN A LIFETIME BRO, ONCE IN A LIFETIME. UNEARTH. Who?

The balls of these people are unbelievable. Though I almost prefer to believe that "worldwide DVD release" poo poo is supposed to be a sardonic jab, "you're just being soo unreasonable, man, we're just a little band, it's not like we've got a worldwide DVD release coming up and wanna rip off all your precious pictures, dork. Hey that's really funny, put that in the email."

I agree with this. Personally I'd do it, set your camera to burst fire and just fire off 30-100 pictures just randomly swinging the camera wildly. Send them straight from the camera, put that you shot Unearth on your resume and move on with life. I mean you're already going to be there to shoot the other band right? Unless you're not going at all, then by all means pass it up, but if you're going to be there anyway, why not pad your resume with a big name band?

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
My first live shoot! :kiddo:

Here's the rest of the set.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
f2.8 just isn't fast enough. :(

Are a lot of you guys actual photographers? I've only been taking pictures for about half a year, and some of these pictures are making me realize how far I really have to go.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
While I have not heard anything back from the "label" I do have a question regarding lighting. I was looking into buying a softbox and I am torn between the smaller (but easier to set up) Ezybox and the larger Westcott Apollo.

I have a single flash (430EX) and no lightstands. So realistically I would need to get some lightstands and adapters before I buy a softbox.

Suggestions?

[e]: So I got an update from the e-mail I posted earlier about the shoot the label wanted me to do. Now it is seeming more legit. I got some information about the band:

"They've got a gritty "garage band" [sic]aethetic. They love black and white photos, but we'd like some color photos done as well. They're almost done recording the last few tracks of their album so we'd need pictures done as soon as it's possible. In all, we're thinking of getting at least 25 pictures done."

Since this is a promo shoot I will have to light it decently well so I need to do some quick research on softboxes as I mentioned earlier in the post. I have looked at the Westcott Apollo 28inch, the Ezybox and the much cheaper alternative: http://www.adorama.com/PFLDXSWK2.html. However, I am thinking that I might have to spend a bit more (the Westcott) is at the top of my list in order to come out with a more polished product that very well might net me more jobs.

I can get the Westcott, a hotshoe adapter (which actually doesn't work with my triggers (CTR-301Ps) I need the "screw" adapter for the lightstands because or I could get a screw in to hotshoe adapter) and a lightstand at Amazon for 173 which I would make back assuming I get the job. While some may think the Westcott is not the best idea the results I have seen from it and the price at which I can get the kit sell it for me.

Links: http://flashzebra.com/brackets/0041.shtml <---Umbrella adapter via Flash Zebra
http://www.amazon.com/Photoflex-Shoe-Mount-Multiclamp/dp/B00009UT18/ref=pd_sim_p_7 <---"Shoe mount multi-clamp"
http://www.amazon.com/Westcott-Apollo-Light-Modifier-Recessed/dp/B00022KOWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1249932902&sr=8-1 <---the softbox I am leaning towards (around 173 with the light stand and shoe mount multi-clamp)

The bottom of my triggers

Advice goons, advice!

*edit number 2* So in spreading the word about Unearth's bullshit regarding photo access I got reprimanded a bit.

quote:

it sucks that they are asking for that, but let's be honest here...you were offered a photo pass to shoot an opening band, and not the headliner.

since you have nothing to offer to the band (ie, you are not on assignment from a media outlet), i guess they feel like they should be getting something in return.

What the gently caress do people have against freelance photographers? It seems that every time I even try to get a pass for a show I get snubbed because I don't have "anything to offer the band". I can see why some of you guys prefer local shows over the major arena shows.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 11, 2009

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Does anyone have any tips or advice for if I want to shoot a concert with no barriers or photo pit?

I'm going to see 65daysofstatic at the famous Manchester Academy (specifically, the number 2 venue) and it'll be packed. There's no barrier, you're up right against the stage. I won't be able to do much moving around at all. I'm conscious of the fact that I might need to get a good spot and stay there and hope for the best, but I'm also worried about my kit etc.

I could maybe stand back and try and get some decent zoomed shots, but then I'm not going to be able to enjoy the music as much.

I suppose I have to decide whether I'm there for the music or the photos :(

Edit:

http://www.aidan.co.uk/md/MusFaustMan7511.jpg

See? No barrier at all. There doesn't look to be that many people there, and there are a few people with SLRs, but when it's packed, it's REALLY packed.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

thehustler posted:

Does anyone have any tips or advice for if I want to shoot a concert with no barriers or photo pit?

I'm going to see 65daysofstatic at the famous Manchester Academy (specifically, the number 2 venue) and it'll be packed. There's no barrier, you're up right against the stage. I won't be able to do much moving around at all. I'm conscious of the fact that I might need to get a good spot and stay there and hope for the best, but I'm also worried about my kit etc.

I could maybe stand back and try and get some decent zoomed shots, but then I'm not going to be able to enjoy the music as much.

Edit:

See? No barrier at all. There doesn't look to be that many people there, and there are a few people with SLRs, but when it's packed, it's REALLY packed.
Keep the strap around your neck, go a little wide, and have fun. You'll get some good photos.

Don't try to carry a bag or extra bodies with you, if that's what you're asking.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

thehustler posted:

Edit:

Get there wicked early and if you want to shoot the show pick a spot and defend that spot to the death. Most people are respectful of your equipment, though there can be some massive dicks. Just be careful.

*edit* What interrupting moss said

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Interrupting Moss posted:

Keep the strap around your neck, go a little wide, and have fun. You'll get some good photos.

Don't try to carry a bag or extra bodies with you, if that's what you're asking.

If you have a fanny pack type bag, bring that, but tops- one mid range, top small lenses. Most people respect you, but there are a few drunken dicks that you need to stay away from. I usually talk to the bands/management and ask if need be can I haul rear end through the stage. I've only had to do it once, a real huge mosh pit opened and I had to go.

I keep going on assignment to a very low lit Christian rock night club. Lot of good energy, really crappy lights. I hate using flash, but there is no choice.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I haven't been shooting for long, but I have yet to find a smallish club that I can take pictures in without flash. Maybe it's my camera, maybe it's my inexperience in settings.

On the subject of pit shooting, try shooting from the sides. It's louder, but 90% of the time pits open up in the middle of the room so you avoid those, plus you can *usually* sneak to the front on the sides, and being at an angle helps eliminate microphone eating, and allows you to get easier drummer shots.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

AtomicManiac posted:

On the subject of pit shooting, try shooting from the sides. It's louder, but 90% of the time pits open up in the middle of the room so you avoid those, plus you can *usually* sneak to the front on the sides, and being at an angle helps eliminate microphone eating, and allows you to get easier drummer shots.

Why aren't you wearing ear plugs?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HPL posted:

Why aren't you wearing ear plugs?
Seriously. That's the first thing I bought once my gear came in. If you get foamies buy the 3M stuff, but better yet get some made at a local shop, the venue employees can probably tell you where.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Seriously. That's the first thing I bought once my gear came in. If you get foamies buy the 3M stuff, but better yet get some made at a local shop, the venue employees can probably tell you where.

I can't recommend ear plugs enough. I was dumb when I first started and didn't wear them and my hearing has absolutely degraded. I won't go to a show without them now.

I HIGHLY recommend these. They're not all that expensive, they're re-useable, comfortable, and have no sound quality loss.

Ear Love

pr0digal posted:

What the gently caress do people have against freelance photographers? It seems that every time I even try to get a pass for a show I get snubbed because I don't have "anything to offer the band". I can see why some of you guys prefer local shows over the major arena shows.

Welcome to concert photography dude. Hell, welcome to the real world. You don't get anywhere by doing it for free. You know how we give advice about how you shouldn't short change yourself as a photographer? Well there are people on there end telling them no to do the same thing. They're a band, but they're also a business. They're not doing things for free just like you aren't. They want something in return, this makes sense to me. You're not giving them publicity, so they want use of your photos. While I can't say that they're not aiming high with full use for promotional purposes, I will say that I completely understand where they're coming from.

Also there really aren't many "freelance" concert photographers out there. The people who do freelance their work still shoot for some form of outlet, could be something as little as a photo blog, but it's something and people see it. There really aren't people out there who shoot shows to either sell photos or just for fun.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 17, 2009

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

rockcity posted:

I can't recommend ear plugs enough. I was dumb when I first started and didn't wear them and my hearing has absolutely degraded. I won't go to a show without them now.

I HIGHLY recommend these. They're not all that expensive, they're re-useable, comfortable, and have no sound quality loss.

Ear Love

Welcome to concert photography dude. Hell, welcome to the real world. You don't get anywhere by doing it for free. You know how we give advice about how you shouldn't short change yourself as a photographer? Well there are people on there end telling them no to do the same thing. They're a band, but they're also a business. They're not doing things for free just like you aren't. They want something in return, this makes sense to me. You're not giving them publicity, so they want use of your photos. While I can't say that they're not aiming high with full use for promotional purposes, I will say that I completely understand where they're coming from.

Also there really aren't many "freelance" concert photographers out there. The people who do freelance their work still shoot for some form of outlet, could be something as little as a photo blog, but it's something and people see it. There really aren't people out there who shoot shows to either sell photos or just for fun.

Now that I've calmed down a bit, I see where you are coming from.

I really need to find a zine/website/magazine/newspaper to shoot for.

I have my own site and blog, it's just not that well known =/

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 17, 2009

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

rockcity posted:

Ear Love
I'm going to try a pair of these out. Up to now I've just been using the 3M foam plugs.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Earplugs = win. I try and see a live show as often as I can and earplugs are a must. They aren't expensive and you can still hear everything very clearly.

I saw two shows last week, got done processing one of them. How I Became the Bomb was really entertaining. Such an eclectic mix of 80's and 'Hot Chip'-yness

I love how the lighting on this first one made him look like one of those old 3d pictures.

Would you guys call this a good shot? I am on the fence about it because its a good moment. I like the blue light. I didn't like the bw conversion as much. Is there enough in focus to be compelling?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

pr0digal posted:

Now that I've calmed down a bit, I see where you are coming from.

I really need to find a zine/website/magazine/newspaper to shoot for.

I have my own site and blog, it's just not that well known =/

Just keep posting stuff. The more material you have up, the better. You'd be surprised at how little you really need to get approved sometimes. It's so much easier to get approved when you're only dealing with a PR rep. Most of them are fairly nice and will get to know you. Once you get in with them getting approved is a easy. Every now and then you'll deal with some tightly run companies though that will only approve major daily papers. The lovely thing about that is, at least from my experience, is that a lot of the time the people from the paper don't even show up. A few years ago I was approved to shoot Tool for my college's newspaper. The only other people to get approved were 3 other daily newspapers in the area, the two major metro-detroit papers and one smaller one. I was the only one to actually show up. It made me sad because I had several other photographer friends who got denied. Didn't matter much since Tool is an awful band to take photos of when it's their tour.

SimonomiS
Apr 3, 2009

thehustler posted:

Edit:

I've shot Manchester Academy (1 and 3, not sure about 2) before, without a barrier you can't do much but get there early and try to secure a good spot. It's nice if you're aware of other people and don't keep blocking their view with a big, fat DSLR in the way.

I'd also suggest not sticking there longer than three songs, just to prevent pissing people off and forcing yourself to get a variety of shots.

This Metric gig was Academy 3, which doesn't have a barrier and was fairly packed, however I was still able to move around and get a few shots from other locations.

The lighting has always been pretty good for me in the Manchester Academy, just don't come over to Liverpool.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

rockcity posted:

Ear Love

Those are the Etymotic ER-20s. They make things sound really good, but I honestly can't recommend them for really loud shows or shows where you have to work near the speakers or amps. They're better than nothing but they just don't have enough sound dampening in them. One time I was stuck at a very crowded venue in front of the bass amp which was turned up way too much and even with the ER-20s, my hearing still got hosed up for a couple of days.

You're better off going to an industrial supply store and buying a whole box of foam ear plugs with at least 32dB of noise reduction. Cram a whole bunch of them in your camera bag and keep some in the glove compartment of your car in case you run out or forget or don't have your camera gear with you. And if you see people with their fingers in their ears at concerts, give them a pair too and spread the love around.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

SimonomiS posted:

I've shot Manchester Academy (1 and 3, not sure about 2) before, without a barrier you can't do much but get there early and try to secure a good spot. It's nice if you're aware of other people and don't keep blocking their view with a big, fat DSLR in the way.

I'd also suggest not sticking there longer than three songs, just to prevent pissing people off and forcing yourself to get a variety of shots.

This Metric gig was Academy 3, which doesn't have a barrier and was fairly packed, however I was still able to move around and get a few shots from other locations.

The lighting has always been pretty good for me in the Manchester Academy, just don't come over to Liverpool.

That's pretty awesome. Of course, I'm going to have to get the SLR in if I decide to take it. Or I can try and get a pass, I might post on the 65 forum, I do post on and off there so I might get away with it.

Academy 3 (and 2 to a lesser extent) is my favourite venue BECAUSE there's no barrier, but it's not a great thing for photography.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I'll be really interested in the 65dos shots. When is the gig? Might see if I can go :)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I'll be really interested in the 65dos shots. When is the gig? Might see if I can go :)

Tuesday November 17th. If you're coming let me know.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Im going to be shooting a friends small concert tomorrow night. I dont know how dark its going to be but I think im going to bring my 30d with a 50 1.8 and my AE1 with two rolls of tri-x, 50 1.8 and 24 2.8. Any advice? Should I bring a flash? Should I even bother with AF on the 30D or will it be ok in the low light?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Sadi posted:

Im going to be shooting a friends small concert tomorrow night. I dont know how dark its going to be but I think im going to bring my 30d with a 50 1.8 and my AE1 with two rolls of tri-x, 50 1.8 and 24 2.8. Any advice? Should I bring a flash? Should I even bother with AF on the 30D or will it be ok in the low light?

AF ought to be fine. I haven't had any problems with it. It's got to be preeeeetty dark at a show for AF to not work. Bring your flash, it certainly can't hurt to have it. I'm not big into using flash at concerts, but I've been to a few that were near unshootable without it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Presumably there's a custom function to disable the canon flashes from actually firing so you can use them as very expensive AF lamp.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

evil_bunnY posted:

Presumably there's a custom function to disable the canon flashes from actually firing so you can use them as very expensive AF lamp.

There is and I wish I could map it to a button like that stupid useless print button so I don't have to go through menus to turn the flash on and off.

If you want a cheap AF assist and don't want to drop big dollars on a nice flash or ST-E2, go buy an old cheap flash with an AF assist lamp like the 200E and disable the flash from firing. I got a 200E for $7. The only downside is that the AF lamp on those older flashes only cover the middle focus point, but that's not a huge thing since it's beter than not focusing at all. If someone is giving you grief about having a flash on your camera, you can put electrical tape over the flash head so you can show them that there's nothing to worry about.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

evil_bunnY posted:

hell yes... going to buy one just for this now for use with my f/1.4's.

seriously though I've been putting off buying a 580exII and this might be just the cause I need for one. I hate having to wait for AF in super low-light situations where the subject is constantly moving (ie concerts).

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

SimonomiS posted:

That is really good lighting. I'm working on a concert I shot for fun a month ago at a local venue, and this is the best i've been able to coax out considering:

Noisy as hell. :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MMD3 posted:

I hate having to wait for AF in super low-light situations where the subject is constantly moving (ie concerts).
I don't know about Canon, but Nikon's don't use the AF-lights if you're set to AF-C.

SimonomiS
Apr 3, 2009

thehustler posted:

That's pretty awesome. Of course, I'm going to have to get the SLR in if I decide to take it. Or I can try and get a pass, I might post on the 65 forum, I do post on and off there so I might get away with it.

Academy 3 (and 2 to a lesser extent) is my favourite venue BECAUSE there's no barrier, but it's not a great thing for photography.

Oh right, I assumed you had a pass, I've only been able to get an SLR in with one. I tried without once (a friend claimed he could get me a photopass on the night, he couldn't) and got stopped, had to put my bag in the cloakroom to get into the gig.

Zoowick
Apr 9, 2007

Making fifteen year old girls looks like whores since 2006
Another band promo. They wanted the guitarist getting the poo poo kicked out of him.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I like those. Your post style fits the images well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Zoowick posted:

Another band promo. They wanted the guitarist getting the poo poo kicked out of him.

I agree with Interrupting Moss, your post-processing style isn't always my thing but these came out very well.