Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It would be nice to do upgrade in place from the RC if I got Ultimate, which I will since that's the version I get for cheap from school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Home Basic/Premium can't do an in place upgrade to Pro? Really? Both can upgrade to Ultimate. I wonder why that is.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

deltawing posted:

Oh for fucks sake, I get Vista Ultimate through MSDN, but I can't get 7 Ultimate and have to settle for Professional leaving me with an evening of :pt:

Not like there was anything "Ultimate" about Vista Ultimate though, I don't think I used a single feature from it.

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK
Argh, loving school took away my MSDNAA access for the summer semester. I hope when school starts its up and I get my access in a timely manner.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Does anybody have MD5 or any other hash values for the Professional x64 image?

Pofolk
Nov 27, 2002

Let chaos entwine on defenseless soil.

CRUISECONTROL posted:

Argh, loving school took away my MSDNAA access for the summer semester. I hope when school starts its up and I get my access in a timely manner.

I have MSDNAA access but Windows 7 isn't on there :(

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

Pofolk posted:

I have MSDNAA access but Windows 7 isn't on there :(

It will apparently show up on the 14th.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

CRUISECONTROL posted:

Just get the right edition downloaded/installed as a trial, you don't have to activate for 30 days, and you can rearm 3 times for a 120-day trial, info here:

http://www.windowsvistaplace.com/windows-7-rearm-and-extend-windows-7-activation-grace-period-to-120-days/windows-7/

Within 120 days you should have MSDNAA access again and then just activate with your key when you do get access.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

whiskas posted:

Does anybody have MD5 or any other hash values for the Professional x64 image?

Just download ultimate (since the hashes for that are known) then delete ei.cfg from the ISO before you burn it. Instant multi-version DVD that will let you install Professional, as well as install any other version that you may end up needing in the future.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Has Windows 7 removed the usage of the hosts file?
I wanted to put a few host names in it, but whenever I try to do one, it gets simply ignored by Windows

i.e. I put
doubleclick.com 127.0.0.1
in the hosts file and run
ipconfig /flushdns
then

C:\Windows\system32>ping doubleclick.com

Pinging doubleclick.com [216.73.93.8] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 216.73.93.8: bytes=32 time=140ms TTL=241

It still goes to the valid address from DNS.

Edit: gently caress it I'm stupid, I just noticed the order of IP and host name needs to be the other way around.

LE
Oct 19, 2002

I picked up a TechNet subscription for Windows 7 exclusively, and Win7 is definitely worth it. Holy gently caress.

Example:

My Mom has a 3.2GHz Pentium 4 with 1GB of RAM, and while it ran Vista good enough for her (she does nothing fancy [the computer itself was built from parts salvaged from a datacenter]), there were plenty of times I'd be using it, and it was nothing more than Vista holding things up and being just generally being lovely.

Having done a direct in-place upgrade from Vista Business to Win7 Professional, the process itself went through without a hitch, and I swear to god it's back to being nimble again. Like, XP nimble. Well, not quite, but close enough.

IN CONCLUSION: Buy it.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

LE posted:

IN CONCLUSION: Buy it.

Why would I wanna do that when I got it for free? :smug:

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!

LooseChanj posted:

Thank you BizSpark!

LE
Oct 19, 2002

LooseChanj posted:

Well I would have said "GET IT" but then there is the chance of someone being all "OMG FILEZ" and then I get banned, and that would be sad. :(

And "LEGALLY OBTAIN THIS OPERATING SYSTEM BY WHATEVER MEANS YOU DEEM MORALLY ACCEPTABLE" just doesn't quite have the same ring to it. :smug:

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

gariig posted:

If you are an MSDN subscriber John Galloway has the same instructions. You need to go to the MSDN top downloads

EDIT: Only like 700KB/s stupid slow work internet (of course it's the cap for my home cable but work > home, right?).

I wish I had seen this. I've got my x86 ISO almost done in about 30 minutes.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Trip report!

Wow. I bought a new laptop about a month ago and configured it with the express intent of upgrading to win 7. What I mean is I purchased it with a decent video chip, 4 gigs of ram and bought OEM 64 bit vista. I upgraded to 7 this morning and can honestly say there is a noticeable difference in how snappy the machine works. I must also say that the upgrade was 100% painless. Not a single device or program stopped working. Oh, and the crazisest part? The upgrade gave me 4 gigs of space back on my hard drive.

I have only been using 7 for an hour now but I must say they have a winner on their hands here.

EDIT: Haha holy crap, it gave me back a ton of available memory as well

AND IT CURED MY GOUT

But no seriously, this is pretty awesome

Syano fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 7, 2009

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

What features are your favorite?

So far I'm loving Windows Virtual PC (not XP mode, but real virtualization) and the built-in system image creation (eg. imaging the system drive).

I just wish the system image creation could create differential backups (eg. here's an image after Windows 7 install, here's one with all drivers, etc).

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Waiting on my friend to burn the ISOs for me today, then I get to spend my evening performing in-place upgrades, huzzah! Trip reports will be incoming for In-place upgrades from the RC, and from Vista.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

So I read that Software Assurance users should be able to download Windows 7 Enterprise today. I can see Windows 7 keys and where it says I'm eligible for X number of licenses, but I can't find the download link anywhere. Am I missing it or is the link hidden away?

Edit: Nevermind, the link appeared after I refreshed for the Nth time.
Edit 2: Doesn't show up in the Licensing Service Center for me, but I can get Professional under eOpen.

Drighton fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 7, 2009

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

frabba posted:

Waiting on my friend to burn the ISOs for me today, then I get to spend my evening performing in-place upgrades, huzzah! Trip reports will be incoming for In-place upgrades from the RC, and from Vista.

Trip report 1: Even though I'm running the Windows 7 RCx64, and I am trying to update to Windows 7 Ultimate RTM, The installer is not letting me proceed. welp.

*edit* Heh, could've sworn that I read somewhere that this should've been possible, but just re-read the updated OP. At least I can do the in-place upgrade on my vista machine :unsmith:

Frabba fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 7, 2009

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

frabba posted:

Trip report 1: Even though I'm running the Windows 7 RCx64, and I am trying to update to Windows 7 Ultimate RTM, The installer is not letting me proceed. welp.

*edit* Heh, could've sworn that I read somewhere that this should've been possible, but just re-read the updated OP. At least I can do the in-place upgrade on my vista machine :unsmith:

Just do a clean install. Your user profile and program files folders get dumped to a new location so you can pick at them as needed.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

frabba posted:

It IS possible if you screw with sources\cversion.ini - it's just rather ill-advised.

Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched "Star Trek?"
Good Lord
I was told about the 50% off offer, for Windows 7 and found that apparently the offer has ended today (7/8) two days early. WTF microsoft.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

It IS possible if you screw with sources\cversion.ini - it's just rather ill-advised.
Ill advised? It's just not Microsoft recommended, a conservative CYA move more than anything else. I've done it on 3 PCs so far with perfect outcomes.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Unimaginative posted:

It's not ill-advised at all. It should work in most cases. I have no idea why people are so weird about making the RC to Final upgrade work.

ShizCakes
Jul 16, 2001
BANNED

redeyes posted:

It's not ill-advised at all. It should work in most cases. I have no idea why people are so weird about making the RC to Final upgrade work.

I have no idea why people are so weird about not installing/configuring pre-release versions of operating systems to the point where they think upgrading is a better idea than starting fresh.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Mollsmolyneux posted:

I was told about the 50% off offer, for Windows 7 and found that apparently the offer has ended today (7/8) two days early. WTF microsoft.

If it's like the UK one, there was a limited allocation at the discount price given to each supplier.

Maybe try a different supplier and they might still have some in stock.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe
I upgraded from Vista Ultimate x64 to 7 Ultimate x64 last night. Took about 1.25 hours and then I updated some drivers that added a little time. I had to reinstall Virtual CloneDrive, but that was about it from a problem stand-point so far. Got a warning about Skype 3.8 and the Logitech QuickCam software, which I uninstalled before the upgrade. The camera still shows up as a device so I need to install the latest version of Skype and see how that goes.

All the other basic programs and hardware seemed to be just fine. It really was pretty painless.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Wiggly posted:

The camera still shows up as a device so I need to install the latest version of Skype and see how that goes.

I did a clean x64 install last night with my logitech web cam hooked up, and it works right out of the box, no logitech drivers needed for basic stuff.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008
Does anyone happen to have the Enterprise hashes on hand?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is there a reason my display always gets defaulted to 59 hertz?

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

Lenins Potato posted:

Does anyone happen to have the Enterprise hashes on hand?

here you go friend

A89DCE706D527206CB464EF86ACD3A3D13A332DB

Click here for the full 750x138 image.

No 32bit... sorry. But according to this blog, the x86 is

File Name: en_windows_7_enterprise_x86_dvd_X15-70745.iso
SHA1: C6B905E48FDB6CB5BFCA967715A64461B812D40C

source: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/08/08/windows-7-iso-downloads-and-product-keys-live-in-msdn-technet/

e:Also, I'm getting different results then the OP

Click here for the full 938x909 image.

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) - DVD (English)
File Name: en_windows_7_home_premium_x64_dvd_x15-65733.iso
SHA1: 336779EA6B65F63E11A609B4D021439C47AB315B

Windows 7 Professional (x64) - DVD (English)
File Name: en_windows_7_professional_x64_dvd_x15-65805.iso
SHA1: 50127304441A793EE51B3F501289F6599A559E9F

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) - DVD (English)
File Name: en_windows_7_ultimate_x64_dvd_X15-65922.iso
SHA1: 326327CC2FF9F05379F5058C41BE6BC5E004BAA7

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 7, 2009

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006

Mollsmolyneux posted:

...that would be because it's 8/7, not 7/8.

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime
Unless he's European and uses the DD/MM/YYYY system.

Regarding the possible early end, perhaps supplies were exhausted?

Quoth the OP:
"The 50% off promotion in the U.S. and Canada has ended.
The promotion is ON NOW in the UK UNTIL AUGUST 9TH WHILE QUANTITIES LAST!"

MjolnirMan fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 7, 2009

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

kri kri posted:

Is there a reason my display always gets defaulted to 59 hertz?

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1198032

Here's a huge thread on it:
http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/1792-59hz.html

I'll save you the trouble of reading it, you won't notice a difference, and I dare you to prove it.

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 7, 2009

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

scarymonkey posted:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1198032

Here's a huge thread on it:
http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/1792-59hz.html

I'll save you the trouble of reading it, you won't notice a difference, and I dare you to prove it.

It doesn't matter I am irrational, and I want 60 hertz default. :colbert:

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Factor Mystic posted:

Home Basic/Premium can't do an in place upgrade to Pro? Really? Both can upgrade to Ultimate. I wonder why that is.

It can. It's just that the matrix Microsoft made really is confusing. Ed Bott made one that you can read in 10 seconds and don't even have to scroll the page to read.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1246

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Where's all the information about using an upgrade version of 7 with the Beta? I've been looking through the thread but I must have overlooked it. I don't want to install this and screw myself because I do something wrong when I get my copy in the mail.

I know I have to do a clean install, but is that it? Will I be able to plug in my key when I get it later no problems? Or did I completely misunderstand things and I can't do this?

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 7, 2009

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

kri kri posted:

It doesn't matter I am irrational, and I want 60 hertz default. :colbert:

I think LCD monitors run at 59.94 hz anyway...
so whether it says 59 or 60 hz is irrelevant. Forget about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

PirateBob posted:

I think LCD monitors run at 59.94 hz anyway...
so whether it says 59 or 60 hz is irrelevant. Forget about it.

It's for color NTSC compatibility, and as you said, essentially the same thing. If windows is forcing 59hz, its probably is because it believes the monitor is a TV set.