Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
worxin on a new jam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.

trill rear end posted:

worxin on a new jam

Does this count as dubstep? I hate pretty much all dubstep but that's kinda awesome.

cuppy tea
Feb 6, 2009

by Cyrano4747

trill rear end posted:

worxin on a new jam

This is loving pro, I love the intro. Sounds like its missing some bass but it's probably just these lovely headphones...

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

JGTheSpy posted:

Does this count as dubstep? I hate pretty much all dubstep but that's kinda awesome.

yessir! this is dubstep

cuppy tea posted:

This is loving pro, I love the intro. Sounds like its missing some bass but it's probably just these lovely headphones...

its got low low bass you might not be able to hear on headphones. sinewav way down there

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.

trill rear end posted:

yessir! this is dubstep

Someone should tell that to everyone else who makes dubstep so that they can stop making bland rear end poo poo.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

JGTheSpy posted:

Someone should tell that to everyone else who makes dubstep so that they can stop making bland rear end poo poo.

you should check out rusko and zomby i was kinda emulating their styles and mixing them

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

JGTheSpy posted:

LOL you gotta go back a year and stop all the 15 year old british girls from liking it.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

trill rear end posted:

its got low low bass you might not be able to hear on headphones. sinewav way down there

This bassline is weak, it has no balls at all. You need to tame your top bass level and reconsider your sub bass. Its just not there. My monitors only respond down to 35hz but I doublechecked in a spectrogram, and it only confirmed what my ears told me. The top bassline layer also hurts to listen to, at volume. Literally hurts.

I really liked those timing changes on the synth sequence, but the top bassline layer needs to back down to it. The track is also too sparse.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

This bassline is weak, it has no balls at all. You need to tame your top bass level and reconsider your sub bass. Its just not there. My monitors only respond down to 35hz but I doublechecked in a spectrogram, and it only confirmed what my ears told me. The top bassline layer also hurts to listen to, at volume. Literally hurts.

I really liked those timing changes on the synth sequence, but the top bassline layer needs to back down to it. The track is also too sparse.

oh god i had my subbass one octave too low, fixing now.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
haha that explains it. calm down that top layer too then. lowpass it or something and instead bring some more life into your other elements.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

this sound a lil better?

ps its hard in the streets when you have no monitors and only headphones

trill ass fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 7, 2009

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Diggin it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

JGTheSpy posted:

maybe you should listen to some good dubstep and shut the gently caress up idk.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug
Me and a friend improvising some BoC'y stuff, me on machinedrum and him working the synths in Logic. It kinda came off the rails around 7:00 (my fault, it's hard to make pitched sounds on the machinedrum and I had no idea what key he was working in) but the rest of it turned out pretty good imo!

http://soundcloud.com/tgijsola/snarlson-beach

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002

Stux posted:

maybe you should listen to some good dubstep and shut the gently caress up idk.

I actually follow the dubstep thread because I want to like it because it gives the internet such a raging hard on right now. I'm still not convinced that good dubstep exists outside of a few flukes.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

JGTheSpy posted:

I actually follow the dubstep thread because I want to like it because it gives the internet such a raging hard on right now. I'm still not convinced that good dubstep exists outside of a few flukes.

The dubstep thread is like 80% boring poo poo by the way . . .

edit: interesting stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m61eF8yozvs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCsoJCW-Gzk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RY9mKY8puA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JqJAJPyi9M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmN785spyDE

IanTheM fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 7, 2009

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

You could probably come away with a "this is still spacey and boring" vibe from these youtubes.

To me, I like harder dubstep, much more grimey, more rude. More skank and swagger. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtG5IOZp8Qs

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

trill rear end posted:

this sound a lil better?

ps its hard in the streets when you have no monitors and only headphones

Sounds just like an electro dude making dubstep. :) You've got a lot of talent and you bang out lots of tracks really well. You got chops. I think you did a really great job with the stutters and weirdness with this one. Your variation is noticeable and making me go "oooooh" without being overly weird and distracting. That's a really hard thing to have happen, and it really helps develop the track.

Atlas Nugged
Jul 30, 2009

"I am, therefore I'll toke."
dunno.

antanca
Aug 5, 2009

Stux posted:

good dubstep

muyd.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

ManoliIsFat posted:

You could probably come away with a "this is still spacey and boring" vibe from these youtubes.

To me, I like harder dubstep, much more grimey, more rude. More skank and swagger. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtG5IOZp8Qs

Yeah, but I thought he might have been complaining about the whole sect of dubstep that ends up sounding like cheap Vex'd knockoffs making half-step electro tracks. Cause that poo poo excited me for about a month, and now I can't listen to it for very long. I'm really into the rhythms, maybe that's what I was kind of trying to emphasize the 2-step and melodic stuff more, as he said bland stuff and into my head popped Caspa right away.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
It's time to lay my soul bare to you guys. This is my first (mostly) completed solo production, and I need some helping mixing this beast. Without my partner to lean on, I've done everything myself so far. I think I'm on the right track, but I really want to make this sparkle.

I will take any criticism leveled at it. I have a few more ideas for punching up some of the sounds, but they shouldn't affect the mix overly much. Thanks in advance. As always, you guys are the best! :3:

Edit - This is...progressive house? Techno? Somewhere in between there.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

JGTheSpy posted:

maybe you just have a bad taste in music then i guess sorry.

Pie in the Sky
Apr 16, 2009

whoops here we go again

I've been having a lot of trouble getting good bass sounds lately. I'm trying to create basses that have all the punch and none of the mud but it's been impossible for me to get something that has that low end kick but still sounds crisp and clear. I'm working in Logic and I guess my main synths would be ES2 and Predator, sometimes Absynth.

Basically, are there any neat tips and tricks you guys have to getting a nice crisp but punchy bass sound? If you need examples of what I'm talking about: Get Up - Jack Beats, the great bass sound in Mars - Fake Blood, the deep bass sounds that are popular in dubsteppy poo poo nowadays. I'm not really looking to emulate one particular bass sound, just tips on how to cut out the mud and increase the clarity while maintaining the low end padding that bass is supposed to provide for a track.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

Pie in the Sky posted:

I've been having a lot of trouble getting good bass sounds lately. I'm trying to create basses that have all the punch and none of the mud but it's been impossible for me to get something that has that low end kick but still sounds crisp and clear. I'm working in Logic and I guess my main synths would be ES2 and Predator, sometimes Absynth.

Basically, are there any neat tips and tricks you guys have to getting a nice crisp but punchy bass sound? If you need examples of what I'm talking about : Get Up - Jack Beats, the great bass sound in Mars - Fake Blood, the deep bass sounds that are popular in dubsteppy poo poo nowadays. I'm not really looking to emulate one particular bass sound, just tips on how to cut out the mud and increase the clarity while maintaining the low end padding that bass is supposed to provide for a track.

i use albino a lot. i will also clone my bass track and make one just sub bass sine wave

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

xpander posted:

It's time to lay my soul bare to you guys. This is my first (mostly) completed solo production, and I need some helping mixing this beast. Without my partner to lean on, I've done everything myself so far. I think I'm on the right track, but I really want to make this sparkle.

I will take any criticism leveled at it. I have a few more ideas for punching up some of the sounds, but they shouldn't affect the mix overly much. Thanks in advance. As always, you guys are the best! :3:

Edit - This is...progressive house? Techno? Somewhere in between there.

Not sure what you want here. Theres not a whole lot going on. If you wanna keep it as minimal as it is, all you need to do is make sure the sounds are in as high a quality as possible. Hit me up on aim if you want, its in my profile.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Trying to make a really dark tune, Jacaszek inspired. I just gotta work on the chord progression more, it's very much a sketch right now.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
heres my final mix if anyones interested

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
Work in progress. What genre would you guys call this?

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Not sure what you want here. Theres not a whole lot going on. If you wanna keep it as minimal as it is, all you need to do is make sure the sounds are in as high a quality as possible. Hit me up on aim if you want, its in my profile.

Thanks. I'm going to take another crack at it this week, and I'll give it to you for feedback.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Guys let's put these shuffled hi hats behind us and get back to the good old days of retarded distortion and hilariously over the top songs, ok? Great.

Two things to note: 1) I haven't mixed this very carefully since I can't use my monitors this late, so apologies if anything is way out of wack since I've been working on lovely earbuds, and 2) the clip starts mid-song since I'm not done with the track anyway.

EDIT:

trill rear end posted:

heres my final mix if anyones interested

Be honest you're actually part of SALEM aren't you.

Wait oops I spoke too soon that took a rather un-SALEM like turn there now didn't it

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Aug 10, 2009

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

squidgee posted:

Guys let's put these shuffled hi hats behind us and get back to the good old days of retarded distortion and hilariously over the top songs, ok? Great.

Two things to note: 1) I haven't mixed this very carefully since I can't use my monitors this late, so apologies if anything is way out of wack since I've been working on lovely earbuds, and 2) the clip starts mid-song since I'm not done with the track anyway.

EDIT:

Wait oops I spoke too soon that took a rather un-SALEM like turn there now didn't it
SALEM? like the town? im so confused

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

trill rear end posted:

SALEM? like the town? im so confused

The beginning of your song reminded me of SALEM.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

squidgee posted:

The beginning of your song reminded me of SALEM.

ohhh never heard of them, i live right next to a town called salem though, i was super confused

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

squidgee posted:

EDIT:

pretty hoppin song

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
New version, same track.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Everytime I make something danceable I turn around and do the opposite . . .

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
NI has a free download of the new version of Kontakt Player, including a free 500MB sound library.

http://tinyurl.com/lnwt9b

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
This definitely falls into the category of 'what the gently caress did I just do, and why did I do it'
That said, I still kinda like it. It's an original piece with vocals from songs by Tag Team, Skee-Lo, and Paul Oakenfold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it

mezzir posted:

This definitely falls into the category of 'what the gently caress did I just do, and why did I do it'
That said, I still kinda like it. It's an original piece with vocals from songs by Tag Team, Skee-Lo, and Paul Oakenfold.

I really really like this, people tend to label slapping acapellas over new music as cheesy/lazy or whatever but when it's done well I love it and this is great.

• Locked thread