Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Godzilla07 posted:

HTC's Sense UI looks to break the back of the ARM11. There's too much going on at once. I know that you use a 3GS. Try doing the things that you do with it using the old ARM11 from the iPod touch and iPhone 2G and 3G. It's going to be a lot slower. Even if the ARM11 was clocked at max speed, it would still be slower than the Cortex. HTC's Sense UI has a lot more going on than an iPhone normally would, even jailbroken and a few apps backgrounded with Backgrounder. There is no need for 2 clocks. The widgets and such are too much for that ARM11. It makes the phone slow. I can stand bad UIs if the phone doesn't lag but if the phone does, I want to throw it at the wall. Plus the Hero has the godawful Leno chin which I personally despise. I really want to like the Hero but the chin and that the Sense UI is too much for the device makes me turn away. I still wouldn't use an Android device as my primary though because there's not one with a decent physical keyboard.
Yeah, but nobody buys an HTC phone (WinMo or Android) to run the stock ROM. The Magic and Hero are fundamentally the same device underneath and the Hero will have custom ROMs that emphasize speed just as the Magic will have custom ROMs that emphasize backporting Hero's Sense UI enhancements. I agree that the 528 MHz chip in the Magic and Hero can't handle HTC's latest software enhancements (why they keep making this mistake with every new phone is beyond me) and I agree that the Hero is worth skipping to see how the SE Rachael turns out. I'm just speaking in the context of Hero vs. Magic, and to that end the Hero is a pretty irrefutably superior device.

Incidentally I also agree with you on the more-dramatic "chin" styling of the Hero being obnoxious -- though my concern is entirely with pocketability weirdness, not with the aesthetic. Still, I'd pick a white Hero over the Magic on the 3.5 and teflon coating merits alone if I had to choose between those two phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibby 117
Jun 13, 2006

Open your mind.
I have verizon. I want to get a data plan or smart phone. I want to use it for mostly email, texting, and surfing the internet to say compair prices on amazon to in store items. Anyone with good apps is always welcomes, like a good calender or scheduler.

I have been looking at the Tour 9630. Should I get that or should I wait for new phones, it seems a few are coming (all there prices dropped yesterday).

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

kalibar posted:

Yeah, but nobody buys an HTC phone (WinMo or Android) to run the stock ROM. The Magic and Hero are fundamentally the same device underneath and the Hero will have custom ROMs that emphasize speed just as the Magic will have custom ROMs that emphasize backporting Hero's Sense UI enhancements. I agree that the 528 MHz chip in the Magic and Hero can't handle HTC's latest software enhancements (why they keep making this mistake with every new phone is beyond me) and I agree that the Hero is worth skipping to see how the SE Rachael turns out. I'm just speaking in the context of Hero vs. Magic, and to that end the Hero is a pretty irrefutably superior device.

Incidentally I also agree with you on the more-dramatic "chin" styling of the Hero being obnoxious -- though my concern is entirely with pocketability weirdness, not with the aesthetic. Still, I'd pick a white Hero over the Magic on the 3.5 and teflon coating merits alone if I had to choose between those two phones.

I forgot that xda does Android ROMs now in addition to WM ROMs. I would have to take the Magic because I would get T-Mobile 3G. The Hero does have a 3.5mm jack which is revolutionary for HTC (Touch HD had one also). It's handy but I don't really use the 3.5mm jack on my 8900 much because it's inferior to the iPod touch I have. And I agree with you on how the chin fucks up the pocketability. The G1 has to be carried around in a holster, and holsters suck. I wish HTC put the slight chin that the Magic has on the Hero instead of the Leno chin. Even with the 3.5mm jack and Teflon coating which I'll have to feel to believe, I'd still take the Magic because I get 3G and there's no obtrusive marking of Jay Leno that completely screws up the pocketability.

E: Do you know if the Hero syncs with Outlook kalibar? Even though I have a Google account, Google absolutely sucks with contacts, notes and tasks compared to Outlook. You can't even sync notes and tasks last time I checked.

Godzilla07 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 3, 2009

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Gibby 117 posted:

I have verizon. I want to get a data plan or smart phone. I want to use it for mostly email, texting, and surfing the internet to say compair prices on amazon to in store items. Anyone with good apps is always welcomes, like a good calender or scheduler.

I have been looking at the Tour 9630. Should I get that or should I wait for new phones, it seems a few are coming (all there prices dropped yesterday).

e: seconding the EPRP + Tour, Verizon sucks

Godzilla07 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 3, 2009

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

• Country/Provider: USA / T-Mobile

• Current contract status: Out of contract

• Budget (phone/plan): Less than $100.00 for the phone

• Features I know I want: QWERTY keypad, camera, good battery life

My current Nokia 6133 is pretty beat up so I want a replacement.

I was looking at the Samsung Gravity but I read bad things about its battery life. Is the Gravity a good option despite this or are there similar phones at a better deal?

I only want a phone I can talk on, take and send pictures with, and message people from time to time. The less expensive the better.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Chinaski posted:

• Country/Provider: USA / T-Mobile

• Current contract status: Out of contract

• Budget (phone/plan): Less than $100.00 for the phone

• Features I know I want: QWERTY keypad, camera, good battery life

My current Nokia 6133 is pretty beat up so I want a replacement.

I was looking at the Samsung Gravity but I read bad things about its battery life. Is the Gravity a good option despite this or are there similar phones at a better deal?

I only want a phone I can talk on, take and send pictures with, and message people from time to time. The less expensive the better.

Increase your budget by $50 and get a Nokia E63. You can do a lot more with the E63. It also has Wi-Fi so you can do some web browsing. And if you wanted a data plan for it, you can get the $9.99 web2go as the data plan for it. Use this coupon code (1VKS815V0W4QC9) without the parentheses. Here's the link to the E63. It should be ~$130 after that coupon code.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Gibby 117 posted:

Get a new carrier.

I just loaded up Big Red's website for shits and giggles to see what their obscene service plans even cost these days. A BlackBerry Tour with unlimited SMS, "data access for e-mail" (which I assume translates to unlimited Ev-DO), and 450 anytime minutes runs you $99.99/month. One hundred American dollars per month for the carrier with the worst phone selection and the biggest disdain for open access.

If you want a Tour, get it on Sprint for $52.50/month with the credit union deal or $59.99 with EPRP. Verizon's BlackBerry plan is more expensive than a loaded single-person iPhone plan ($90/month) which is widely considered to be the upper ceiling of what anyone would pay for wireless.

In reality, you're Doing It WrongTM if your monthly bill crosses $60/month. A hundred plus tax each month is ludicrous.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

kalibar posted:

Get a new carrier.

I just loaded up Big Red's website for shits and giggles to see what their obscene service plans even cost these days. A BlackBerry Tour with unlimited SMS, "data access for e-mail" (which I assume translates to unlimited Ev-DO), and 450 anytime minutes runs you $99.99/month. One hundred American dollars per month for the carrier with the worst phone selection and the biggest disdain for open access.

If you want a Tour, get it on Sprint for $52.50/month with the credit union deal or $59.99 with EPRP. Verizon's BlackBerry plan is more expensive than a loaded single-person iPhone plan ($90/month) which is widely considered to be the upper ceiling of what anyone would pay for wireless.

In reality, you're Doing It WrongTM if your monthly bill crosses $60/month. A hundred plus tax each month is ludicrous.

Nope, it's $89.99/month for the fully loaded BlackBerry package with unlimited texts and unlimited data and 450 minutes. It's still a ripoff. gently caress Verizon's ripoff prices.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

kalibar posted:

Can anyone get in on the CU deal by following the link or do you actually need an account with that CU?

edit:

Does sprint still offer the pick 3 thing (ala myfaves)?

Tedronai66 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 3, 2009

Gibby 117
Jun 13, 2006

Open your mind.
Stuck with verizon for now. 1.5 years. But they gave me 2 free months and 100 extra bucks so in 1.5 I will switch.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Godzilla07 posted:

Nope, it's $89.99/month for the fully loaded BlackBerry package with unlimited texts and unlimited data and 450 minutes. It's still a ripoff. gently caress Verizon's ripoff prices.
Maybe they price discriminate by zipcode? This is what I see:

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Gibby 117 posted:

Stuck with verizon for now. 1.5 years. But they gave me 2 free months and 100 extra bucks so in 1.5 I will switch.
If you're actually paying $100/month you could recognize an immediate $47/month savings by switching service, which makes a $200 ETF a smart decision after 4.3 months of service. If you stay with Verizon at $100/month for another year and a half, you'll hemmorhage $846 vs. the cost of a Tour on Sprint.

Just saying. Sprint even had a deal recently where they'd pay your ETF.

Gibby 117
Jun 13, 2006

Open your mind.

kalibar posted:

If you're actually paying $100/month you could recognize an immediate $47/month savings by switching service, which makes a $200 ETF a smart decision after 4.3 months of service. If you stay with Verizon at $100/month for another year and a half, you'll hemmorhage $846 vs. the cost of a Tour on Sprint.

Just saying. Sprint even had a deal recently where they'd pay your ETF.

Good to know. Thanks for the information.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Godzilla07 posted:

Increase your budget by $50 and get a Nokia E63. You can do a lot more with the E63. It also has Wi-Fi so you can do some web browsing. And if you wanted a data plan for it, you can get the $9.99 web2go as the data plan for it. Use this coupon code (1VKS815V0W4QC9) without the parentheses. Here's the link to the E63. It should be ~$130 after that coupon code.

Thanks but that's a little out of my budget and much more than I need. I don't want to go with a data plan right now - I'm just looking for a phone I can talk on, send pictures with, and send text messages (with a QWERTY pad).

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'm currently winding down my contract with Verizon. It is up on the 6th of this month, two days from now. I would like to get a cheap prepaid phone for a couple months, until my girlfriend's plan is also up. Once that happens, we'll likely be signing up with Sprint and getting a couple Pres.

What's recommended as far as prepaid phones/carriers in SoCal? I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible, voice only. Do they come with voicemail?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Chinaski posted:

Thanks but that's a little out of my budget and much more than I need. I don't want to go with a data plan right now - I'm just looking for a phone I can talk on, send pictures with, and send text messages (with a QWERTY pad).

Well you don't have to get the data plan for it. And really, it's only $30 more. But if that much of an upgrade from a lovely dumbphone to a full-fledged smartphone with an easy learning curve is too much, maybe the Gravity is good enough for you. I still think that you should go with the E63.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

sirbeefalot posted:

I'm currently winding down my contract with Verizon. It is up on the 6th of this month, two days from now. I would like to get a cheap prepaid phone for a couple months, until my girlfriend's plan is also up. Once that happens, we'll likely be signing up with Sprint and getting a couple Pres.

What's recommended as far as prepaid phones/carriers in SoCal? I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible, voice only. Do they come with voicemail?
T-Mobile To Go, yes it comes with voicemail. Easily the best bet in prepaid.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

kalibar posted:

T-Mobile To Go, yes it comes with voicemail. Easily the best bet in prepaid.

Check your coverage on the t-mobile website first. Prepaid T-Mobile SIMs do not roam onto AT&T's network like subscription SIMs do. I've used both in the same device at the same location and done the experiment myself.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

# Country/Provider: USA / ATT

# Current contract status: Eligible for upgrade, husband locked in until 7/10

# Budget (phone/plan): $100 or less for the phone

# Features I know I want: goodish camera, big screen, fun stupid games

My Sony w580i died today. I can claim the insurance for a $50 deductible but I am eligible for an upgrade and I like new toys. I don't currently use the internet or e-mail on my phone and don't really need to start. I am torn between claiming the insurance and not re-tying myself into a two year contract, and getting a new exciting phone, leaving me in AT&Ts clutches forever. I can't guarantee we would leave AT&T next year when my husband's contract is up, but it would give us options.

Any thoughts?

Expiration Date
Jun 6, 2008
can anyone recommend a t-mobile phone that will allow me to use my own mp3's as ringtones without having to hack the phone? (and hey if tons of them do it that's even better).

free is best, I don't have a problem paying for a phone either. She totally does not need a smartphone. I'm getting the mytouch3g, but she's not even into texting at all so just a phone + custom ringtones without spending $$ is what she's looking for.

we've been stuck on super lockdown with verizon phones so maybe this is easy everywhere else, I have no idea.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Returning to the United States from China at the end of August and looking to upgrade from my previous BB 8700g on Tmobile (still under contract). Is there any reason not to go for the Curve 8900?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

MoPZiG posted:

Returning to the United States from China at the end of August and looking to upgrade from my previous BB 8700g on Tmobile (still under contract). Is there any reason not to go for the Curve 8900?

There's going to be the BlackBerry Driftwood that should come out by the end of the year. It's the Onyx but with 3G support for T-Mobile. The 8900 is a great device but it lacks 3G and that sucks. The Driftwood will also have the Bold's keyboard style which I personally prefer but it's all subjective. The Driftwood will also have the optical trackpad. So I'd wait for the Driftwood. Now if you don't have 3G in your area, the 8900 is fine.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

I was pretty bummed that we didn't see an optical trackpad on Tour and Curve 8900. I really dislike trackballs on cellphones (and gently caress HTC for bringing that weak poo poo to their Android phones).

Do BlackBerrys have a web browser worth a poo poo yet? I'm hopelessly addicted to Google's google.com/reader/i page for Google Reader, and when I tested it a few months ago on a BB Bold in the AT&T store, it basically threw up and gave me some ugly vomit-looking page. reader/i seems like a good yardstick for browser performance: iPhone and Android handle it perfectly (of course), certain Windows Mobile browsers handle it, Nokia's Maemo tablet OS handles it, and I believe even S60 Web does it right.

What's RIM's excuse?

I guess I'm just having a hard time figuring out why anyone who doesn't specifically require a BlackBerry for work would pay monster and nearly-inescapable BlackBerry data monthly premiums -- other than EPRP customers, who end up with a reasonably square deal. They're amazing for e-mail and SMS, but what else?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

kalibar posted:

I was pretty bummed that we didn't see an optical trackpad on Tour and Curve 8900. I really dislike trackballs on cellphones (and gently caress HTC for bringing that weak poo poo to their Android phones).

Do BlackBerrys have a web browser worth a poo poo yet? I'm hopelessly addicted to Google's google.com/reader/i page for Google Reader, and when I tested it a few months ago on a BB Bold in the AT&T store, it basically threw up and gave me some ugly vomit-looking page. reader/i seems like a good yardstick for browser performance: iPhone and Android handle it perfectly (of course), certain Windows Mobile browsers handle it, Nokia's Maemo tablet OS handles it, and I believe even S60 Web does it right.

What's RIM's excuse?

I guess I'm just having a hard time figuring out why anyone who doesn't specifically require a BlackBerry for work would pay monster and nearly-inescapable BlackBerry data monthly premiums -- other than EPRP customers, who end up with a reasonably square deal. They're amazing for e-mail and SMS, but what else?

You're loading the iPhone version of the page. It was specifically formatted for the iPhone. Just use the standard mobile page for Google Reader which is not as pretty. BlackBerrys do have decent browsers now. It's no WebKit of course but it's good compared to the excuse of a browser that the 4.5 devices have. BlackBerrys still choke on JavaScript sites. The reason that the 8900 and Tour didn't have the trackpad is that it was probably still in development when the devices were being completed. The trackball is okay, it's better than a d-pad but I want to see the trackpad.

I pay $20/month for my BlackBerry plan and that also includes tethering. Of course, my carrier is stupid and didn't offer the Bold but at least I'll be getting the Driftwood. The main reason I have a BlackBerry is messaging. BlackBerrys cannot be beat for e-mail. SMS is something that could be improved on with threaded SMS which I'd like. BeejiveIM is also a reason I have a BlackBerry. No other device can beat a BlackBerry for messaging. There's also an app that's on BlackBerry that's not available on any other platform that I need. No other platform matches the BlackBerry platform for my needs. The iPhone is still finetuning messaging, Android is great but it's immature for now, webOS is only on one phone and one carrier, WM is a joke and S60's messaging capabilities sucks.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
Hey guys, forgive me for not reading the entire thread.

My dad's birthday is coming up soon, and he wants his first pay-as-you-go phone. Consequently, I'm looking for an easy-to-use phone that doesn't have a contract with it.
I'm in the UK, and would like it on the Orange network, or unlocked. I haven't looked at this area since my Nokia 3310, so I have no idea who's winning in the cheap phone market. Thanks guys.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
So I borrowed a GSM phone from a buddy, intending to get a T-Mobile Prepaid SIM to use for the next couple months. My Verizon contract is up, and I was hoping to port the number to the T-Mobile SIM, but they told me that wasn't possible because its not on a contract. Is this true?

What other options do I have for making the next couple months much cheaper? I've been paying around $60 for my single Verizon line, using maybe 200 minutes a month at the most. Will Verizon change me to a pay-per-use plan with my current number if I go to a store and beg?

Ideally, I want to keep my number for the next two months before I port it to Sprint for a Pre, but don't want to keep paying $60+/month in the meantime. I don't care which carrier, I'm in the middle of Hollywood so that's not really an issue. What are my choices here??

furtheraway
Dec 19, 2005

this milchkuh has given its last pound of flesh
I'm currently traveling and I'm looking for a GSM phone that can function as an audio device over bluetooth. Specifically, I want to pair the phone with my laptop and use the phone as a handset for Skype calls. Is this even possible?

I'm looking for a relatively small, somewhat inexpensive non-smartphone, like a Nokia 2630 (which I currently use). Tri/quad band, doesn't matter at all. Don't care about data. Something already or easily unlocked would be a plus as well.

I've tried a bluetooth earpiece, but had a lot of trouble with the mic. I'd just buy a USB headphone/mic combo, but I'm literally traveling with only a smallish duffel bag and I need to keep everything as multipurpose as possible. Space is a precious commodity at the moment.

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005

sirbeefalot posted:

So I borrowed a GSM phone from a buddy, intending to get a T-Mobile Prepaid SIM to use for the next couple months. My Verizon contract is up, and I was hoping to port the number to the T-Mobile SIM, but they told me that wasn't possible because its not on a contract. Is this true?

Absolutely not true. Verizon's yanking your chain in order to keep you on. Get the prepaid SIM from T-Mobile, and then ask them, not Verizon, to port your number. You'll need to give T-Mobile your Verizon account number, which you can get from your bill or by calling their CS line.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Baldrash posted:

Absolutely not true. Verizon's yanking your chain in order to keep you on. Get the prepaid SIM from T-Mobile, and then ask them, not Verizon, to port your number. You'll need to give T-Mobile your Verizon account number, which you can get from your bill or by calling their CS line.

Sorry, I worded that badly. It was the T-Mobile guy that told me. We got to the end of the transaction, I had already snapped out the SIM card, and told him I wanted to port the number (which I mentioned at the beginning). "Yeah, we uh can't do that because its not on a contract..." and gave me a new number for the prepaid SIM. Would I be able to go back and get them to change it? Or is that the kind of thing that needs to be done at the beginning? :confused:

E: Yeah so I just called TMo customer service and had it taken care of in like 10 minutes. We'll see if it works in a day or two. gently caress those dudes in the store.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 7, 2009

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

Sorry, I worded that badly. It was the T-Mobile guy that told me. We got to the end of the transaction, I had already snapped out the SIM card, and told him I wanted to port the number (which I mentioned at the beginning). "Yeah, we uh can't do that because its not on a contract..." and gave me a new number for the prepaid SIM. Would I be able to go back and get them to change it? Or is that the kind of thing that needs to be done at the beginning? :confused:

E: Yeah so I just called TMo customer service and had it taken care of in like 10 minutes. We'll see if it works in a day or two. gently caress those dudes in the store.

Dang, I was hoping for something FCC reportable on Verizon.

natedogcool
Jan 3, 2008

Every time we look at the moon, we can know that Willzyx is up there dancing with the other zypods in his castle.
# Country/Provider: USA
# Current contract status: No contract
# Budget (phone/plan): < $40 / month
# Features I know I want: plentiful minutes, evenings, weekends, and some texts (300?)

Helping my Chinese friend who came to the US for grad school get set up with a cheap plan - she'll be using the phone in Logan, Utah (selective coverage) so free roaming is mandatory. I'm on Sprint so in-network calling would be great. She's looking for basic and cheap, but with enough minutes to get her through the month (we're guessing 300+ depending on when evenings/weekends start).

Any suggestions on a simple phone (that could replace an mp3 player - we looked at Nokia 5310 but Sprint doesn't carry Nokia anymore) and especially any suggestions on cheap deals with Sprint would be great!

gg
Jul 3, 2003

Pew Pew
Does anyone have any experiences with the Nokia 5610 or the 1680? I like Nokia phones and they come out to be free with a contract renewal so I wanted to be see what peoples opinions were on them.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

They're basic Nokia phones, they're both going to offer best in class call quality and the 5610 will give you a decent autofocusing camera and 3G data support if you're an AT&T customer.

There isn't a lot of mystery in those phones. Mess with them in person and read GSMarena's reviews.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

natedogcool posted:

# Country/Provider: USA
# Current contract status: No contract
# Budget (phone/plan): < $40 / month
# Features I know I want: plentiful minutes, evenings, weekends, and some texts (300?)

Helping my Chinese friend who came to the US for grad school get set up with a cheap plan - she'll be using the phone in Logan, Utah (selective coverage) so free roaming is mandatory. I'm on Sprint so in-network calling would be great. She's looking for basic and cheap, but with enough minutes to get her through the month (we're guessing 300+ depending on when evenings/weekends start).

Any suggestions on a simple phone (that could replace an mp3 player - we looked at Nokia 5310 but Sprint doesn't carry Nokia anymore) and especially any suggestions on cheap deals with Sprint would be great!

Sprint eprp will give 450 min + unlimited texts for 40/month. Not sure on phones though.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Country/Provider: USA, AT&T

Current contract status: Eligible for free upgrade, contract ends at the end of September

Budget (phone/plan): Less than $100 for the phone itself, I'm on a family plan

Features I know I want: Mostly calling and light texting, I use less than 400 a month.

I don't want anything fancy like an iPhone and I'm locked into using AT&T. I have considered getting a phone with a QWERTY keyboard but I don't text enough to warrant it. I have considered upgrading to unlimited texting but at the moment I only have 400 texts a month. I am a college student so I may eventually go abroad. I believe all AT&T phones are international, correct?

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 10, 2009

Fatpot
Oct 15, 2005

uh yes
I'm looking for the best unlocked clamshell phone right now, what are my options? My provider is Rogers/Canada, thanks!

Edit: money is not an issue

Fatpot fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 10, 2009

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Fatpot posted:

I'm looking for the best unlocked clamshell phone right now, what are my options? My provider is Rogers/Canada, thanks!

Edit: money is not an issue

I don't know why you're dead set on a form factor that's dead among high-end phones except in Japan. If money truly is not a factor, a keitai is your best option. Look into the Japanese phone section on HowardForums for more info. If using an obscenely expensive high-tech flip phone that has to be imported is not your taste, the BlackBerry Pearl Flip 8220 is your best bet.

ioannisds
Feb 29, 2004

The Transcendental Unity of Apperception
Would love some help from you guys to steer me in the direction of another pay-as-you-go service to take the place of Virgin Mobile. I talk very, very little, text a bit, and that's it. I don't know that I need to get into all of the specifics as to why I'm looking for a switch, suffice it to say that getting Virgin to do ANYTHING via customer service or the intertubes (i.e. turn features on/off, manage what alerts I get, etc) has for whatever reason become a huge hassle. As an example, I've asked them numerous times the past couple of weeks to turn of their goddamn "Virgin Alerts" reminding me to add money to the phone. I've called, I've e-mailed, promises have been made, and I keep getting poo poo on (they have sent me something like 11 of these alerts just in the last few hours). So gently caress them and the utterly useless twats they have working in their call center in BFE. I will spend my tiny amount of money somewhere else.

I'm currently using Virgin's most basic $20 every three months deal to keep the service active, along with a text package because I tend to text a lot more than I talk. Honestly, if their CS wasn't so incompetent and actually got things done I would stay with them, as I've been relatively happy with the call quality and whatnot on their network (which I believe is Sprint). Basically, I'd like to know if there is something better out there as far as pay-as-you-go service goes. I like Virgin because it is super cheap for someone like me who spends very little time on the phone, but I'm gonna stroke out if I get another one of these stupid reminders they are supposed to have turned off in the first place.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

ioannisds posted:

Would love some help from you guys to steer me in the direction of another pay-as-you-go service to take the place of Virgin Mobile. I talk very, very little, text a bit, and that's it. I don't know that I need to get into all of the specifics as to why I'm looking for a switch, suffice it to say that getting Virgin to do ANYTHING via customer service or the intertubes (i.e. turn features on/off, manage what alerts I get, etc) has for whatever reason become a huge hassle. As an example, I've asked them numerous times the past couple of weeks to turn of their goddamn "Virgin Alerts" reminding me to add money to the phone. I've called, I've e-mailed, promises have been made, and I keep getting poo poo on (they have sent me something like 11 of these alerts just in the last few hours). So gently caress them and the utterly useless twats they have working in their call center in BFE. I will spend my tiny amount of money somewhere else.

I'm currently using Virgin's most basic $20 every three months deal to keep the service active, along with a text package because I tend to text a lot more than I talk. Honestly, if their CS wasn't so incompetent and actually got things done I would stay with them, as I've been relatively happy with the call quality and whatnot on their network (which I believe is Sprint). Basically, I'd like to know if there is something better out there as far as pay-as-you-go service goes. I like Virgin because it is super cheap for someone like me who spends very little time on the phone, but I'm gonna stroke out if I get another one of these stupid reminders they are supposed to have turned off in the first place.

T-Mobile To Go. Best deal in prepaid. You can just buy a $100 card and that will be active for a year. To keep it active, you can just add the lowest amount to the account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ioannisds
Feb 29, 2004

The Transcendental Unity of Apperception
Thanks, T-mobile is near the top, if not at the top of my list right now. I didn't realize they had a $100/year deal going on, that is excellent. Only complaint I'm really hearing is their coverage can be a little spotty, but everything else sounds good so we'll see.