Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
If anyone else here aside from xau and I were planning on trying to get to the Go congress (I assume ideally on Wednesday), then you have to e-mail xau (nexterh at gmail) or PM me to get the relevant info, as they can't get onto SA at the moment.

The deal is still on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
the people demand a go congress report.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Under 15 posted:

Really the problem with a floor-goban-as-decor is that floor boards tend to be a lot smaller than you would think they would be, but too large to go anywhere that it would be out of danger as being used as a table with poo poo all over it :shobon:
I want a footstool-slash-goban. I don't care if it's soft and doesn't make the clicky-sound when you lay down stones, I just like multipurpose stuff.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

sensual donkey punching posted:

the people demand a go congress report.

I don't even know where to begin. Pros playing poker with amateurs, amateur dans playing chess to pass the time, tons of stones falling on the floor, several amateur dans under 13, seemingly arbitrary official rules, ...

Is there something in particular you wanted to know?

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
alright you could have just said go congress was gay its cool

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Is KGS down right now? Or does the megabus internet say f'off to java apps?

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
I wonder if there are some photos of the congress online. Here are some from the european congress.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gocongress2009

taw
Jun 11, 2009
KGS 11k reporting.

What's the best program for analyzing my go games? I cannot bother GTL or humans with every game, but it would be nice to get some quick feedback.

GnuGo can be hacked to do some basic analysis (gnugo --output-flags dv --replay both -l some.sgf -o commented.sgf) so it tells me when it thinks I made a tactical mistake, or should have tenuki, or shouldn't have tenuki etc. It's not always right of course, but it did find some major blunders that a GTL review didn't.

Are there any programs made specifically for analyzing Go games, or is it the best out there?

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

taw posted:

KGS 11k reporting.

What's the best program for analyzing my go games? I cannot bother GTL or humans with every game, but it would be nice to get some quick feedback.

GnuGo can be hacked to do some basic analysis (gnugo --output-flags dv --replay both -l some.sgf -o commented.sgf) so it tells me when it thinks I made a tactical mistake, or should have tenuki, or shouldn't have tenuki etc. It's not always right of course, but it did find some major blunders that a GTL review didn't.

Are there any programs made specifically for analyzing Go games, or is it the best out there?

If you came to our room you could get feedback? I am not sure how much gnugo can offer you at 11 kyu. If you just want something quick to answer a question you had or you want something to think about, then just ask one of us. I'm sure someone in the room has five minutes to show you something; I would not trust a bot to analyze anything properly except for perhaps the late endgame.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I've been told by a programmer that from an AI point-of-view, Go is at least 4 times more complicated than Chess, and there is apparently a $1m prize for anyone who can come up with a master-beating AI player.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Under 15 posted:

I would not trust a bot to analyze anything properly except for perhaps the late endgame.

On the flip side, there are (admittedly contrived) late endgame problems that some bots/humans with a lot of time can solve that some 9ps cannot.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

MZ posted:

I've been told by a programmer that from an AI point-of-view, Go is at least 4 times more complicated than Chess, and there is apparently a $1m prize for anyone who can come up with a master-beating AI player.

A lot of this stems from the fact that Go has, at any given time, a much larger variety of viable moves than Chess does. Computers can, in a lot of situations, brute-force Chess; that is, they can just literally read out a tree of every possible move they can make and every possible move the opponent can make in response, and they can do this a number of moves into the future. Just by virtue of sheer numbers, it's much more memory-intensive to do this in Go, and that's to say nothing of the difficulties in making a computer make sensible decisions regarding direction of play and influence.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Urban Renewal posted:

A lot of this stems from the fact that Go has, at any given time, a much larger variety of viable moves than Chess does. Computers can, in a lot of situations, brute-force Chess; that is, they can just literally read out a tree of every possible move they can make and every possible move the opponent can make in response, and they can do this a number of moves into the future. Just by virtue of sheer numbers, it's much more memory-intensive to do this in Go, and that's to say nothing of the difficulties in making a computer make sensible decisions regarding direction of play and influence.

Yeah, analysis is the sticking point. In chess the computer can tally up the captures and have a pretty good idea of how it is doing - if it's ahead on captures and has decent center prospects it can pretty well conclude that it leads. In go, the computer can estimate the balance of territory reasonably well, but the balance of power that determines it is another beast altogether. This difficulty with analysis is the sticking point for pros as well, since it is apparently far easier to read as many as a hundred moves in advance (don't ask me if it's not a ladder)than it is to compare the end result to something else and decide which is better.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

Haha, go made the Philly paper. Any of you goons in this article?

http://www.philly.com/philly/living/20090812_Go_s_complexities_are_ageless_.html

xau
Oct 20, 2002

Crashed fifteen hundred and seven systems in one day. Biggest crash in history.
Here are my pics from ~*~GOCON~*~. I only had my phone so all the pictures are bad!

This is from the night I arrived. Mystery professional is going over mystery game, while the old dude on the left translates. It is hard to follow. They also did smaller free lectures/lessons in other rooms, where people could present their own games and pros could deride them for being morons.

I got there on "Crazy Go" night. These guys were playing on some kind of huge board, while the people you see behind them were playing some kind of weird blind go thing. I'm not sure I really understood what was going on, but how I remember it is: There were 4 people (black, white, black, white) plus a guy in the center managing things. The manager guy went around clockwise and each person would make a move, and he would tell them if it was ok, illegal, or a capture. I don't think there was any way to know whether your move was illegal because an opponent moved there or because your teammate moved there.

Not pictured: blindfolded go, weird board shapes, 7+ color go, and more!!!

There was this dude with long hair, jacket over his shoulder, fanning himself with one of those foldy asian fan things. I don't know why but it struck me as hilarious and I had to share with you. Dude's probably a goon.

This was from pair go night. Formal dress encouraged. Helopticor and I tried to participate, but the conference director didn't believe me when I insisted that I was a little pink haired girl in real irl. I was apparently hiding behind a wall when I took this.

Um, I think this was more of pair go night.

Here are some asian kids playing on pair go night. I forget if these ones were any good, but there were like 1dan-6dan kids running around. Since these kids appear to be thinking, I think they must be nubs. The real asian dan kids played extremely fast and laughed at each other when they had to stop and think.

TRIP REPORT::
I entered as 7k and played in the Die Hard (4 round all day) tournament on Wednesday. It's the first tournament I ever played in, and I lost all my games! It's really hard to concentrate when other people finish and start getting up and bustling about. I got destroyed my first game, almost won the second but screwed up near the end, lost the third because I screwed up a ko fight to play a super cool move (the other guy was like "that was cool" so it was totally worth it), and by the last game I was too burnt out to even try.

The crowd was pretty nerdy, but there were some interesting people and not very many intolerable people. It's definitely worth checking out for a day or two if you're in the area when it goes on. Swinging for the whole thing is probably not worth it unless you're 1k or better and go gives you boners, or you're making it part of a vacation. You also get a bunch of swag (t-shirt, bag, pin, coin) even if you only register for a day ($40). I think next year's congress is going to be in Denver or Colorado Springs. I will probably go again if the scheduling works out with the conferences work sends me to.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Great report :)

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

xau posted:

talk talk talk
picture picture
talk

why no pics of you goons?

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Blendy posted:

why no pics of you goons?

the shame is too great

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
was there cooking by Authentic Japanese Housewives

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Urban Renewal posted:

was there cooking by Authentic Japanese Housewives

If by cooking by Authentic Japanese Housewives you mean bad coffee provided by the university, then yes. Otherwise, no.

Also, I have no pictures because my phone doesn't even have a camera.

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest
Just dinged on 5k, so pumped right now. Nothing better then handing someones rear end to them for the rank up.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Pillow Face posted:

Haha, go made the Philly paper. Any of you goons in this article?

http://www.philly.com/philly/living/20090812_Go_s_complexities_are_ageless_.html

So this morning, being Saturday and all, I decided to head up to Phoenixville's farmer's market in order to find the person this article was based on. I found him. Turns out he was around 6 kyu. And I beat him. First real life game of go. Against a total celebrity. Oh yeah, baby.

:tipshat:

Turns out they have a club every Wednesday. I'm glad I found out just in time to leave for college.

I might start a club at Boston University. Very much considering it. Does that poo poo look good on resumes?

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

qxan posted:

I might start a club at Boston University. Very much considering it. Does that poo poo look good on resumes?

I think in general organizing and maintaining any student organization looks good, regardless of content*.

*Anime Club doesn't count

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

qxan posted:

So this morning, being Saturday and all, I decided to head up to Phoenixville's farmer's market in order to find the person this article was based on. I found him. Turns out he was around 6 kyu. And I beat him. First real life game of go. Against a total celebrity. Oh yeah, baby.

The Chinese guy, Craig Brown, or the 7-year-old? Bonus points if you humiliated a 7-year-old.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Pillow Face posted:

The Chinese guy, Craig Brown, or the 7-year-old? Bonus points if you humiliated a 7-year-old.

Craig Brown's friend, actually. I embellished a bit. Craig Brown wouldn't play me because he insisted he was much weaker than me. Maybe like 10k? His friend was 6k. I was content.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

qxan posted:

Craig Brown's friend, actually. I embellished a bit. Craig Brown wouldn't play me because he insisted he was much weaker than me. Maybe like 10k? His friend was 6k. I was content.

Great job!

I might be able to take on Craig Brown then.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Pillow Face posted:

Great job!

I might be able to take on Craig Brown then.

Can you say Rengo?

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

I had to look that word up and this popped up from http://senseis.xmp.net/?PairGo:

Pillow Face fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 17, 2009

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Awwww hell. Go Furries...

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

It was only a matter of otaku time.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
a duck's black bra, visible through her blouse

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
awww yeah, frog likes what he sees.

I fixed it. Let's all do our part to make sure that poo poo never happens again.

Oneday for Life fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 17, 2009

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

The longer I look at the picture the more it bothers/creeps me out. Curse you pillow, curse you for bring this to my knowledge.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Peantoo posted:

awww yeah, frog likes what he sees.

I fixed it. Let's all do our part to make sure that poo poo never happens again.

I'm leaving my post in tact as a painful reminder to all who might think that go is a cool game with a respectable fanbase.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

I am crying

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Peantoo posted:

I fixed the French version of the page.

Daspied
Jul 2, 2009
I saw this post yesterday and started to give the game a try. Learning on Playgo.to/interactive I pick up how to play the game, and some concepts.

However When I'm playing in a 9x9 and all seems to go well (I have a good bit of territory). Suddenly they invade, and I'm unable to repell the force of 1-2 with my adjacent pieces. Any tips?

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!

Daspied posted:

I saw this post yesterday and started to give the game a try. Learning on Playgo.to/interactive I pick up how to play the game, and some concepts.

However When I'm playing in a 9x9 and all seems to go well (I have a good bit of territory). Suddenly they invade, and I'm unable to repell the force of 1-2 with my adjacent pieces. Any tips?

Yeah, don't get scared. An invasion behind a wall at 1-2 should never live. You are a guy with a gun looking at a fat guy waddling up to you wanting to punch you. The only way you could get beat is by A. Not knowing how to use a gun, or B. Getting scared and using your gun to block him for some reason.

You've got the upper hand, so use it. Push the invader around, learn eyeshapes by doing go problems, and learn how to keep him from making those shapes, also by doing go problems.

BTW, you'll lose a lot in the beginning. A lot. Your first win will make you cry with joy though, so good luck.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
I'm not sure he meant an invasion at the 1-2 point, I read it as 1 to 2 stones invading.

Invasions are fun and you'll learn eventually which ones can probably be killed and which ones probably can't. Also remember that every successful attack against you is a lesson; you'll learn how to better prevent it in the future, and you'll learn how to do it yourself, because anything that works on you in one game will probably work on an opponent in the next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daspied
Jul 2, 2009

Peantoo posted:

Yeah, don't get scared. An invasion behind a wall at 1-2 should never live. You are a guy with a gun looking at a fat guy waddling up to you wanting to punch you. The only way you could get beat is by A. Not knowing how to use a gun, or B. Getting scared and using your gun to block him for some reason.

You've got the upper hand, so use it. Push the invader around, learn eyeshapes by doing go problems, and learn how to keep him from making those shapes, also by doing go problems.

BTW, you'll lose a lot in the beginning. A lot. Your first win will make you cry with joy though, so good luck.

I did actually just won my first and second game, the first was against another beginner. The feeling was alright, but nothing like knowing you just made someone rage quit from a game. The second one however was quite nice, I beat some 22kyu player, and made him rage quit, I had 18 of his peices, he had 8 of mine end score, 34-4. What a great feeling.

Some lessons are helping me too, Actually had a really good one just prior to playing the first match I won. He was using Triangles, and asking me questions to ensure the concepts he was teaching were being instilled into me. A tip he gave me was, "When a move is made of no threat, take territory".

I was trying to learn an Aggressive play style as to intimidate the opponent into messing up, but honestly It seems like the waddling fat guy is able to catch me.