Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah if I pay $5 for shipping it had better not come in a box where I can look at the shipping and see you only paid $2. If you absolutely have to make a certain amount start your minimum bid higher or put in a reserve. That's what it's there for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmios
Dec 2, 2004

Angry pumpkin, Japanese demon, dragon of avarice...

Djarum posted:

See if you are selling things that you don't think you are going to get enough to offset the fees, just don't sell it. You are part of the problem. It is not my responsibility to pay for your fees. You should either put those fees into your Buy It Now/reserve price or not sell it. It is frankly deceptive to do that and if a actual retailer tried to pull something like that it would be outright fraud. Granted 5 bucks is much better than most dickass scalpers. Really I want to kill every fat loving worthless scalper on the planet. They are the reason why you can't find anything worthwhile.

If the price is too high, don't buy it! The sellers can only sell figures at prices people are willing to pay. Just because you think it is too expensive, it might not be for someone else. As long as they are clear about the cost before you purchase it, there is nothing to complain about. People will only pay what it is worth to them, if it is too high, they won't buy it. Ebay is a great mechanism for telling what the street value of something is, I tried to sell a figure on there once, but no one bid on it, because there was no demand for the figure at that price.

Frankly, the ebay sellers are doing a service by providing these products for people who can't but them in their area. But, I share your frustration, if only the manufacturers or retailers did a better job of meeting demand, ebay would be irrelevant.

Ogmios fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 8, 2009

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ogmios posted:

If the price is too high, don't buy it! The sellers can only sell figures at prices people are willing to pay. Just because you think it is too expensive, it might not be for someone else. As long as they are clear about the cost before you purchase it, there is nothing to complain about. People will only pay what it is worth to them, if it is too high, they won't buy it. Ebay is a great mechanism for telling what the street value of something is, I tried to sell a figure on there once, but no one bid on it, because there was no demand for the figure at that price.

Frankly, the ebay sellers are doing a service by providing these products for people who can't but them in their area. But, I share your frustration, if only the manufacturers or retailers did a better job of meeting demand, ebay would be irrelevant.
....but none of that has anything to do with what he just said. Marking up shipping IS deceptive and ISN'T right - you should be making up your fees by increasing the cost of the item itself, not by artificially inflating the shipping.

Also, the "doing you a service!" excuse is a huge cop-out. You aren't doing me any favors by inflating the shipping, eBay costs and whatnot aren't my problem. And if the retailers increased the supply to meet demand, the scalpers would just buy up more of the stock to put on eBay.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!

dj posted:

See if you are selling things that you don't think you are going to get enough to offset the fees, just don't sell it. You are part of the problem. It is not my responsibility to pay for your fees. You should either put those fees into your Buy It Now/reserve price or not sell it. It is frankly deceptive to do that and if a actual retailer tried to pull something like that it would be outright fraud. Granted 5 bucks is much better than most dickass scalpers. Really I want to kill every fat loving worthless scalper on the planet. They are the reason why you can't find anything worthwhile.

Xenomrph posted:

....but none of that has anything to do with what he just said. Marking up shipping IS deceptive and ISN'T right - you should be making up your fees by increasing the cost of the item itself, not by artificially inflating the shipping.

See, I just don't understand this line of thinking. Why does it matter where a seller makes up the fees? If you are going to buy an item, you see it for the price + shipping as what you are paying. What difference does it make if someone charges you 10 dollars with free shipping or 1 dollar plus 9 dollars shipping? (except that ebay doesn't make as much money from the 1 dollar one?)

Bushifox fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 8, 2009

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ogmios posted:

I don't buy it. Only stuff I buy on EBay is really old stuff and even then I just wait until I can get something at a price I am willing to pay.

Now I shall just quote and add the rest of my 2 pence.

Xenomrph posted:

Also, the "doing you a service!" excuse is a huge cop-out. You aren't doing me any favors by inflating the shipping, eBay costs and whatnot aren't my problem. And if the retailers increased the supply to meet demand, the scalpers would just buy up more of the stock to put on eBay.

You hit the nail right on the head there. I am pretty sure that there are plenty of Crossbones out there for a example, just all the scalpers bought them all and now charge 40 bucks for it. People don't even really buy them for that price either, most of the Crossbones auctions have not been selling lately.

The Marvel Legends Deadpool is another great example, there are at any given count 15-20 of them on EBay. It is at the price it is because someone decided to start charging that much for him and it has stuck.

If the toy scalpers weren't around I have a feeling things would be easier to find at retail. I don't know why they do it since I don't know of a single person whom has ever made any money scalping toys. The local comic shop here stopped because they have half of their store full of old crap that will never sell and no one was buying the way marked up price for their junk.

Next time I see a toy scalper I am going to just going to start loving with them and/or kick them in the junk. They are scum and ruin the hobby for everyone else.

EDIT

Bushifox posted:

See, I just don't understand this line of thinking. Why does it matter where a seller makes up the fees? If you are going to buy an item, you see it for the price + shipping as what you are paying. What difference does it make if someone charges you 10 dollars with free shipping or 1 dollar plus 9 dollars shipping? (except that ebay doesn't make as much money from the 1 dollar one?)

We just explained it twice, hell you just quoted it for Christsake! It is deceptive. You think if you saw a TV on Amazon for a dollar but they charged 900 dollars for shipping you wouldn't think that was deceptive? Hell, it is out and out fraud. I am pretty sure EBay also considers that fraud. You are not being out front and honest with your customer. It doesn't matter if you are paying 10 dollars for something either way, the customer feels like they are being taken advantage of.

If you don't understand that, I got a car here that you can buy for :10bux: but, there is a $100,000 signing fee for it.

Djarum fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 8, 2009

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Bushifox posted:

It really is just a matter of one looks a lot more honest than the other, therefore people are more likely to want to patronize it. If you charge me ten bucks to ship a toy that I paid another ten bucks for and I get a box with a $5 shipping label on it, it feels like I just got taken for five bucks. If however you charge me five bucks shipping and I pay fifteen bucks for the toy, and I get a box that says it cost $5 to ship, it feels like you are an honest businessman. It's transparency. I dont mind giving you five more bucks because ebay really does rip people off these days, but I want to know about it up front so at least it feels like I have a CHOICE to give you that five bucks.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

It is funny because I was on the other end of the scalper debate last time it reared its head through here. (I got my avatar after I bought one for some guy hawking his toy website that was selling HML thors for 55 bucks and I called him a scalper).

In any case, scalpers are *not* the problem. People stupid enough to pay scalper prices are the problem. You saw this back when star wars toys were coming out, when they first came out, huge demand for certain figures inflated the price, but they slowly fell back down. Same with the movie masters jokers. Those guys were up to $100 bucks last year. Now stores are selling them for 3 bucks.

Deadpool was a legitimately short run figure, and that has more to do with Toy biz than the secondary {scalper) market.

I am not without sin, because when I saw crossbones going for 40 bucks, a few months ago, I said, you aren't worth 40 bucks to me and sold mine on ebay for that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bushifox posted:

I guess it's the honesty of it? Knowing that you inflated the cost of shipping means that I *could* have gotten the same item for $1 (since you were willing to do free shipping, with you covering the shipping cost) instead of $10 (where you seemingly inflated the cost of shipping, seeing as how you were willing to ship it for free).

If you were honest about the shipping cost and then tack your costs onto the price of the figure, at least I know exactly where the money is going and I know you're not profiteering at my expense.

Think about it this way:
You've got an item you're selling. You can sell it for $10 with $5 shipping, or $3 with $12 shipping.
Now, why should I want to pay your $12 shipping cost? I know I'm not actually getting a better deal here, because either way it costs $15. You're just inflating the shipping cost so you can avoid paying eBay fees... and that isn't my problem.
So we've established that the shipping shouldn't cost more than $5. So if you're willing to sell the item for $3, and shipping is $5, why am I paying $15 instead of $8?

Bottom line: artificially inflating the shipping cost is dishonest; raise the initial minimum bid amount or do a reserve if you're so concerned about making up your costs.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Djarum posted:

Next time I see a toy scalper I am going to just going to start loving with them and/or kick them in the junk. They are scum and ruin the hobby for everyone else.

And while you're ranting like a lunatic about something that doesn't matter (because you have to pay it anyway, whether it's shipping or 'not shipping') everyone else will be buying stuff they want at prices they're willing to pay, because that's how capitalism works.

I collect stuff, including action figures. I buy things off of ebay, and generally get better products and services than I do from goons. My hobbies have been enhanced by ebay, because I can actually buy the stuff I want, at prices I'm willing to pay.

EDIT:

Travis343 posted:

If you charge me ten bucks to ship a toy that I paid another ten bucks for and I get a box with a $5 shipping label on it, it feels like I just got taken for five bucks. If however you charge me five bucks shipping and I pay fifteen bucks for the toy, and I get a box that says it cost $5 to ship, it feels like you are an honest businessman.

So, you know it's happening, but you're upset because this isn't told every time? Also, shipping materials occasionally need to be purchased. Do you need a receipt for that, too? What about the gas for the seller to get it to the post office?

The Diddler fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 8, 2009

Ogmios
Dec 2, 2004

Angry pumpkin, Japanese demon, dragon of avarice...
We are lucky we have SA to trade figures and great goons that will help you find what you need! I always keep my eyes open for any rare figures when I go hunting! :)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bushifox posted:

In any case, scalpers are *not* the problem. People stupid enough to pay scalper prices are the problem.
Wait what the hell? Yes they are the problem. :psyduck: If scalpers buy up all the stock in the store and now people have no option but to buy from the scalpers because the items aren't in the stores, then yes the scalpers created the problem.

How can you even say something that retarded? :confused:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 8, 2009

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Wait what the hell? Yes they are the problem. :psyduck: If scalpers buy up all the stock in the store and now people have no option but to buy from the scalpers because the items aren't in the stores, then yes the scalpers created the problem.

How can you even say something that retarded? :confused:

Edit-- like Djarum said, there's all sorts of figures on eBay for inflated prices that aren't selling because the scalpers picked them up, marked up the price, and people aren't stupid enough to pay scalper prices. That doesn't solve the problem of the figures not being on the shelves since the scalpers bought them all up and created an artificial shortage.

I fully planned on not getting the Dead Space SDCC exclusive figure because I knew I wasn't going to pay scalper prices. Seeing it for flat retail on Amazon.com made it a no-brainer, though.
Likewise, I got the SDCC GI Joe Baroness figure straight from Hasbro's website for flat retail. If I didn't have that option, well, I wasn't going to go pay scalper prices; I'd have just grumbled about scalpers and not gotten the figure.

That doesn't change the fact that the scalpers created the problem in the first place by buying up all the stock. Seriously how can you not understand this

because if people don't pay the scalper prices the scalper has a lot of unused stock which will eventually go to a reasonable price

See: any star wars toy made past 1995, MM joker, etc. If you can't wait to fuel your need for a certain piece of plastic, keep feeding the scalper money train.

Edit to your edit: So, again, the scalpers aren't the problem, the fact that there was a market for them to make money was. If that is drying up, all the better.

EDIT2 Holy jesus there would not be a scalper problem if people wouldn't buy from them. They would not buy up all the stock hoping to make a profit. It is circular, but it starts and ends with the consumer.

Bushifox fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 8, 2009

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bushifox posted:

because if people don't pay the scalper prices the scalper has a lot of unused stock which will eventually go to a reasonable price

See: any star wars toy made past 1995, MM joker, etc. If you can't wait to fuel your need for a certain piece of plastic, keep feeding the scalper money train.
That doesn't change the fact that the scalpers created the problem in the first place by buying up all the stock. Seriously how can you not understand this. :psyduck:

Like Djarum said, there's all sorts of figures on eBay for inflated prices that aren't selling because the scalpers picked them up, marked up the price, and people aren't stupid enough to pay scalper prices. That doesn't solve the problem of the figures not being on the shelves since the scalpers bought them all up and created an artificial shortage.

I fully planned on not getting the Dead Space SDCC exclusive figure because I knew I wasn't going to pay scalper prices. Seeing it for flat retail on Amazon.com made it a no-brainer, though.
Likewise, I got the SDCC GI Joe Baroness figure straight from Hasbro's website for flat retail. If I didn't have that option, well, I wasn't going to go pay scalper prices; I'd have just grumbled about scalpers and not gotten the figure.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Bob Cthulhu posted:

So, you know it's happening, but you're upset because this isn't told every time? Also, shipping materials occasionally need to be purchased. Do you need a receipt for that, too? What about the gas for the seller to get it to the post office?

Now you're just being a dick for the sake of being a dick. Nobody's even coming close to suggesting that and you know it.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ogmios posted:

We are lucky we have SA to trade figures and great goons that will help you find what you need! I always keep my eyes open for any rare figures when I go hunting! :)

Amen! Most of my favorite stuff has come from people on here, including Bushifox ;) and all of it for very, very fair prices. This place is a rarity and sadly none of us has everything.

On a side note my Target put out almost a entire isle of GI Joe movie figures and it seems like not a single one has sold. Those figures and the movie I got a feeling are going to go over worse than pretty much anything.

More amazing is that all the of Terminator and Star Trek stuff is gone completely. Kinda surprising since they were only released a few months ago.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Djarum posted:

Amen! Most of my favorite stuff has come from people on here, including Bushifox ;) and all of it for very, very fair prices. This place is a rarity and sadly none of us has everything.

On a side note my Target put out almost a entire isle of GI Joe movie figures and it seems like not a single one has sold. Those figures and the movie I got a feeling are going to go over worse than pretty much anything.

More amazing is that all the of Terminator and Star Trek stuff is gone completely. Kinda surprising since they were only released a few months ago.

My targets were clearancing the hell out of terminator and star trek lines.

I don't need to inflate my shipping costs on sa-mart because NYCtatto hasn't started charging fees yet.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Bushifox posted:

My targets were clearancing the hell out of terminator and star trek lines.

I don't need to inflate my shipping costs on sa-mart because NYCtatto hasn't started charging fees yet.

And we're all pals here. I found a Black Lightning at Wal-mart and sold it to some goon for cost + shipping, even though it goes for ~$60 on ebay. We all gotta help each other out, maaaaaan.

Because of SA and Fwoosh, I haven't bought anything toy-related from ebay in like a year.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Fish Of Doom posted:

And we're all pals here. I found a Black Lightning at Wal-mart and sold it to some goon for cost + shipping, even though it goes for ~$60 on ebay. We all gotta help each other out, maaaaaan.

Because of SA and Fwoosh, I haven't bought anything toy-related from ebay in like a year.

For the most part Hasbro and Mattel have been much better about distribution so we don't have to resort to ebay. All these drat retailer exclusives seem to be driving the scalper market.

Whorehey
Jun 3, 2006
You saw it here first folks...
What a strange time to interrupt the debate about scalpers. I'm off the convention floor at Chicago and I just bought the last two figures I needed for the DC Universe Classics wave 5, the god damned Wal-Mart wave. I paid $80 for the Atom and $60 for the Eradicator, and that was because of a dented bubble. I also got a bunch of other things, I'll post those later when I get home and settled back in.

Am I upset I paid that price, knowing retail was under $13? No. Am I upset that I HAVE to pay that price? Yes. I know, I know. I don't have to pay the price, just don't buy it. But then I run into a big problem: I won't have two of the best figures in the series and one of them happens to be an absolute favorite character of mine.

I would love to enlist in some sort of massive movement in which every collector stands up and says, "NO, I will not pay those prices," but the reality is that's not going to happen. At least, not anymore than it already does. Each figure has a price ceiling that movies as time goes on. There's always that breaking point on the figure in which the collector says no.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Whorehey posted:

What a strange time to interrupt the debate about scalpers. I'm off the convention floor at Chicago and I just bought the last two figures I needed for the DC Universe Classics wave 5, the god damned Wal-Mart wave. I paid $80 for the Atom and $60 for the Eradicator, and that was because of a dented bubble. I also got a bunch of other things, I'll post those later when I get home and settled back in.

Am I upset I paid that price, knowing retail was under $13? No. Am I upset that I HAVE to pay that price? Yes. I know, I know. I don't have to pay the price, just don't buy it. But then I run into a big problem: I won't have two of the best figures in the series and one of them happens to be an absolute favorite character of mine.

I would love to enlist in some sort of massive movement in which every collector stands up and says, "NO, I will not pay those prices," but the reality is that's not going to happen. At least, not anymore than it already does. Each figure has a price ceiling that movies as time goes on. There's always that breaking point on the figure in which the collector says no.

That's cool but really the debate wasn't about scalpers, it was about people inflating shipping costs well beyond actual shipping costs to make more money!

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I've been selling on eBay for a while and I don't even see a way to hide shipping costs. :?:
Also I picked up another big round of Target clearance stuff and you jerks better start buying frome me again!@

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

mods rename me posted:

I've been selling on eBay for a while and I don't even see a way to hide shipping costs. :?:
Also I picked up another big round of Target clearance stuff and you jerks better start buying frome me again!@

I'm still trying to work a deal out with you for gambit and the sentinel legs.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Whorehey posted:

Yes, but saying that that situation is somehow your fault because you're willing to pay that price or the retailer's fault for not offering enough supply (as opposed to, you know, the scalper's fault for creating the problem in the first place) is retarded.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

mods rename me posted:

by inflate the shipping cost I mean like when someone says "Shipping charge is $10"
then they go to the post office and spend $3 on postage.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Fish Of Doom posted:

I'm still trying to work a deal out with you for gambit and the sentinel legs.

Oh yea no dice on the gambit I don't have an extra :(

Travis343 posted:

by inflate the shipping cost I mean like when someone says "Shipping charge is $10"
then they go to the post office and spend $3 on postage.

Oh gotcha. On eBay I try to charge calc. price + one american dollar to offset fees/supplies, but a dollar isn't enough anymore :( These Tough Economic Times.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Did anyone see the new Iron Man toys from the Iron Man animated series or something?

The fuckers don't even have moving elbows or knees.. and they're trying to sell it for $9.50 at the local TRU. What the gently caress are you doing Habsro?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Do any of you collect the Eaglemoss lead figurines, particularly the DC ones? How do you like them? I know Blue Beetle (my favorite character) has already come out in the UK, but there are none for sale on eBay or Amazon. Last I heard was that most of these eventually make it to U.S. comic shops via Diamond, and Beetle might be due at some point in September, but they sometimes arrive early. Is there any kind of definitive list of shipping dates, like Diamond usually provides for comics and DC Direct provides for their figures?

rally9x
Feb 2, 2005
Their really is no excuse for someone as big as Hasbro and Marvel to not be able to run a website that sells figures, in stock, and at a reasonable price. At the very least sell the entire series so that one figure doesn't get purchased more.

In the end the blame really rests with the manufacturer.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

rally9x posted:

In the end the blame really rests with the manufacturer.

And with the manufacturer making the most sought after figures the chase figure or rare variant people want. Thankfully that practice slowed down a bit with Hasbro, but at the same time so did interest in buying the Legends figures they make.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Got my Egon figure today. His sculpt is pretty awesome, and his face looks just like when Venkman gave him the candybar. The proton pack detail is awesome. Except for the drat 10 bucks in tax and shipping, hes definitely worth the 20 bucks. Can't wait for the rest of the line.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Do any of you collect the Eaglemoss lead figurines, particularly the DC ones? How do you like them? I know Blue Beetle (my favorite character) has already come out in the UK, but there are none for sale on eBay or Amazon. Last I heard was that most of these eventually make it to U.S. comic shops via Diamond, and Beetle might be due at some point in September, but they sometimes arrive early. Is there any kind of definitive list of shipping dates, like Diamond usually provides for comics and DC Direct provides for their figures?

I've been collecting these since the Marvel ones first started. Every single one that I've seen released in the UK makes it overseas so don't worry about that.

My LCBS stocks them, however, when I want to know upcoming waves I look at https://www.stuckakid.com for their list. I think I've ordered a couple from them and they've been really good. Give it about a month and I'm sure Blue Beetle will show up, or at least give you some kind of date when he'll show up.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Travis343 posted:

Now you're just being a dick for the sake of being a dick. Nobody's even coming close to suggesting that and you know it.

You're bitching because the label on the box says 5 dollars to ship, but you paid 10. But what you *don't* know is the stuff I listed, which wouldn't be on the shipping label. You've come very close to suggesting it, it just sounds retarded when it's out like that.

EDIT: What I'm really trying to say is that there's more to shipping than the cost of the mailman.

DSL
Sep 20, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer
Wild Guess #737:
Dr. Thomas "Hush" Elliot

"Well, at least Sue didn't see me coming.
I had a few questions for the people who said that inflating shipping prices when selling on ebay is wrong:

1. Have you recently/do you regularly sell stuff on ebay?

2. If you wanted to buy some tickets or something with a small shipping fee and there are two auctions (buy it now for the sake of argument) a. 5$ + 20$ shipping. b. 30$ + free shipping. Do you go for the "honest" option on principal, or the cheaper option?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

DSL posted:

I had a few questions for the people who said that inflating shipping prices when selling on ebay is wrong:

1. Have you recently/do you regularly sell stuff on ebay?

2. If you wanted to buy some tickets or something with a small shipping fee and there are two auctions (buy it now for the sake of argument) a. 5$ + 20$ shipping. b. 30$ + free shipping. Do you go for the "honest" option on principal, or the cheaper option?
1. No, but that's irrelevant.

2. I'd go with the "honest" one, and report the excessive shipping one to ebay.

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico
In my ebay experience, offering Free Shipping brings in more bidders than jacked up shipping, which means I get more money without charging 12 bucks to ship a marvel legend. Thus I get more money. Does eBay take a slice? Yep. So?

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

1. No, but that's irrelevant.

2. I'd go with the "honest" one, and report the excessive shipping one to ebay.

I don't see how free shipping is any less deceptive. Just becuase it "sounds" better to the customer. And, if you are really "retarded" enough to pay a premium because it sounds more "honest" to you...it seems you have your priorities mixed up.

Since you people realize that many of the people that do sell on ebay are just regular people and not crazy scalpers/money grubbing bastards trying to cheat you out of your money, why can you not just add up the price + shipping into one number (as you can see both numbers when you are browsing ebay) and realize that is the price of the figure? It will save you heartache and the apparent coronary you are having over a couple of dollars over postage price.

xeno posted:

Yes, but saying that that situation is somehow your fault because you're willing to pay that price or the retailer's fault for not offering enough supply (as opposed to, you know, the scalper's fault for creating the problem in the first place) is retarded.

You obviously understand economics and capitalism enough to know that "fault" can be placed in all of the corners and that someone disagreeing with the "root" of the problem doesn't make them retarded.

Your passion for paying exact postage amounts (even though paypal still charges a 3% fee on the shipping) and paying exact retail have moved me in such a way that if I sell anything on ebay, I will do it for exact retail and exact shipping costs, be damned with losing money or actually making a profit. Why should the seller make any extra money when ebay should be having more fees.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Bob Cthulhu posted:

You're bitching because the label on the box says 5 dollars to ship, but you paid 10. But what you *don't* know is the stuff I listed, which wouldn't be on the shipping label. You've come very close to suggesting it, it just sounds retarded when it's out like that.

EDIT: What I'm really trying to say is that there's more to shipping than the cost of the mailman.

The point is if eBay, gas prices, or whatever are eating into your bottom line that badly put in a reserve price or just charge more for the figure. Don't artificially inflate the price like that. Nowhere did I or anybody suggest an itemized account of charges on the drat shipping label.

Bushifox posted:

I don't see how free shipping is any less deceptive. Just becuase it "sounds" better to the customer. And, if you are really "retarded" enough to pay a premium because it sounds more "honest" to you...it seems you have your priorities mixed up.

We're not talking about a premium, we're talking about paying the same price for the figure. Say $20 total - I'd rather pay $15 for the toy and $5 shipping than a $10-$10 split, especially when the box comes with a label that says $2.50 on it.

Yes it is really a matter of perspective and no it is not the end of the world. It's just something that makes a lot of people feel better, and might keep people coming back. How is it "retarded" to understand that people like to buy from honest vendors, even if it's just the perception of honesty?

Bushifox posted:

Your passion for paying exact postage amounts (even though paypal still charges a 3% fee on the shipping) and paying exact retail have moved me in such a way that if I sell anything on ebay, I will do it for exact retail and exact shipping costs, be damned with losing money or actually making a profit. Why should the seller make any extra money when ebay should be having more fees.

:downsbravo: Way to miss the point. Screw this, if you people aren't even going to try to respond without being utter dicks, i'm done with this conversation.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 8, 2009

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Satch posted:

In my ebay experience, offering Free Shipping brings in more bidders than jacked up shipping, which means I get more money without charging 12 bucks to ship a marvel legend. Thus I get more money. Does eBay take a slice? Yep. So?

You guys forget that some auctions don't sell the first time round.. so those are sunk costs. That along with travel costs and purchasing tracking (because paypal does poo poo to protect the seller) can easily add another $2 to the invisible cost of an item. I consider "invisible" costs things that buyers often don't care about, but nonetheless still costs me money as a seller.

If I can manage to squeeze an extra 50 cents out of an auction, I will do it.

What I never understood is why it made such a big difference if you bought the figure for $1 + $12 shipping or for $12 + $1 shipping. It's the same loving price and we aren't trying to "hide" the cost since the total is right there in plain sight.

Well the best I can do is show you guys the numbers. Assuming the toy costed me NO money and my cost of stamps will be $4.
---------
For an action figure I list for 99 Cents + $12 shipping that sells for 99 cents:
(Total ending price of $13)

ebay fees: $0.19
paypal fees: $0.68
stamps: $4.00
---------
For an action figure I list for 99 Cents + $4 shipping that sells for $9:

ebay fees: $0.89 (+.70)
---------
For an action figure I list for $9 + $4 shipping that sells for $9:

ebay fees: $1.04 (+.85)
---------

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Travis343 posted:

The point is if eBay, gas prices, or whatever are eating into your bottom line that badly put in a reserve price or just charge more for the figure. Don't artificially inflate the price like that. Nowhere did I or anybody suggest an itemized account of charges on the drat shipping label.

Oh? :raise:

Travis343 posted:

If you charge me ten bucks to ship a toy...with a $5 shipping label on it...

Oh. :( So you only want *some* of the charges itemized, then?

The Diddler fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Travis343 posted:

:downsbravo: Way to miss the point. Screw this, if you people aren't even going to try to respond without being utter dicks, i'm done with this conversation.

Hey, I understand your point. Xeno has called me retarded twice now so I apologize for my dickishness, but come on. I'm obviously not responding to you but to xeno's dickishness.

As far as ebay, I'm not a power seller, I don't have a store. I sell some stuff every now and again, normally to fund whatever little bit of collecting I'm into at the moment. If someone is pissed that I charge a couple dollars extra for shipping, I really don't care if they don't buy from me again or even that first time, because odds are someone will buy it if it is "in demand". My shipping charges aren't outrageous, but when I buy something from ebay, I look for the lowest total cost and account that into what I'm willing to pay, and don't worry that the shipping label is different than the arbitrary number I paid.

I've bought stuff that was charged 5 bucks shipping and it came with a big 75 cent postage charge on it, and it gets my goat for a minute, but, hey, I paid this guy less than the guy that was charging a dollar shipping so really I can't complain.

We aren't all trust fund babies like xeno that can afford to pay a premium on so called honesty.