Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Bob Cthulhu posted:

Oh? :raise:

Oh. :( So you only want *some* of the charges itemized, then?

Are you being dense on purpose or do you not realize that the post office will usually print the price of the postage on the label, regardless of whether you put the price on there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Travis343 posted:

Are you being dense on purpose or do you not realize that the post office will usually print the price of the postage on the label, regardless of whether you put the price on there?

Are you too dense to realize that there is more cost to shipping than just the amount needed for the post office to bring it to you, even if only that amount is disclosed to you?

DSL
Sep 20, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer
Wild Guess #737:
Dr. Thomas "Hush" Elliot

"Well, at least Sue didn't see me coming.
Another thing that should be considered is the time and effort it takes to sell stuff on ebay, which in my opinion factors into the handling part of "shipping and handling"

I have only sold a few times casually on ebay, and I definitely charged more for shipping than I spent. But the last time I sold some figures, I listed like 40 auctions at the same time. Once the auction all ended, I must have spent at least 10 hours between packing, making the labels, taking pictures/listing auctions, and making several trips to the post office to send packages as soon as people paid.

It may not be right to "inflate" shipping charges, but if I didn't, it definitely would not have been worth the work to me. If I listened to what people in this thread are saying, I would not have sold the figures, and a lot of people wouldn't have gotten new stuff for their collections. Shouldn't this time/effort that goes into selling be accounted for somewhere?

I think there are enough buyers on ebay that sellers should sell how they want, and buyers instead of getting angry, should just bid on auctions they are comfortable with. Personally whenever I see an auction with a reserve, I skip it since they are very annoying to me. If someone else feels the same way about low prices/higher shipping, I am fine with them skipping my auctions.

The fact that ebay now lets you sort results by total price+shipping makes me feel like they are aware of this selling style and do not care. To all of the people claiming dishonesty, you either forget about, or don't know that it is "shipping and handling", not just shipping. I didn't think selling a bunch of stuff would be too hard, but it is a lot harder than it seems if you have never done it. Maybe instead of calling sellers with high shipping and handling dishonest, you should instead just call people with exact shipping more efficient sellers (they can probably weigh stuff at home and print postage labels to get the exact postage). This is fine for power sellers but not that realistic for casual sellers.

Anyway, the biggest dicks in the whole equation have to be people who are anal about exact shipping, but try to win your auctions anyway, and then try to force you to ship a certain way (I am not saying this about anyone in the thread).

When I sold my figures, my auctions clearly stated that I will combine shipping on 3 or more figures purchased. One guy won two and emailed me asking I sent an invoice for combined shipping. I explained the auction and he paid, but demanded I send the figures in two separate boxes. The explanation of shipping was clearly labeled in all of my auctions, and the fact that this guy disregarded them and still bid thinking "screw it, I'll bully him into giving me a cheaper price" seems to be the biggest dick move. This is made possible by the fact that on ebay, buyers can leave negative feedback, but sellers can't.

Anyway, I was not trying to offend anyone, so sorry if I did. I am actually just interested in the debate, and seeing what other people think in these situations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Bob Cthulhu posted:

Are you too dense to realize that there is more cost to shipping than just the amount needed for the post office to bring it to you, even if only that amount is disclosed to you?

See this is actually a good argument, picking at words to make my side look ridiculous isn't.

I understand there's more to it than just the actual shipping, that's why I suggested (several times) that if you feel like you have to make a certain amount to offset the costs, start minimum bids higher or put up a reserve price. That is why these things exist.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bushifox posted:

You obviously understand economics and capitalism enough to know that "fault" can be placed in all of the corners and that someone disagreeing with the "root" of the problem doesn't make them retarded.
Are you kidding? The root of the problem isn't even debatable. The scalpers bought the items off the shelf with the explicit intention of marking them up, with complete disregard for if buyers would pay that marked-up price. As Djarum pointed out, many times people aren't willing to pay the marked-up price, and so now the scalpers are forced to lower the price just to move the product.

The scalpers buying up all the product in the first place is the obvious root cause of the scalper problem. Sure the buyers could wait for the scalpers to lower their prices, but the only reason they have to is because the scalpers bought up all the stuff in the first place and marked it up. Seriously, it's not that complex.

I'm not saying there aren't other factors in the economics of scalping - yes, the buyers being willing to pay those prices plays a factor, as does the distributor not offering enough supply - but the primary root cause is the scalpers themselves initiating the process out of sheer greed. Altering the other factors could mitigate scalping, but the one sure-fire way to stop it cold is for scalpers to not be douchebags and put people in a situation where buyers have to buy from scalpers because they bought up all the stock (or not buy at all).

Jet Ready Go posted:

What I never understood is why it made such a big difference if you bought the figure for $1 + $12 shipping or for $12 + $1 shipping. It's the same loving price and we aren't trying to "hide" the cost since the total is right there in plain sight.
This already got addressed. :confused:

Bushifox posted:

We aren't all trust fund babies like xeno that can afford to pay a premium on so called honesty.
Haha, that's hilarious.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 8, 2009

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I'm not saying any of you do it, but there is a special place in hell for scalpers that say "Hey, man, I just need to feed my family". Then maybe you should get a real job.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Travis343 posted:

See this is actually a good argument, picking at words to make my side look ridiculous isn't.

I understand there's more to it than just the actual shipping, that's why I suggested (several times) that if you feel like you have to make a certain amount to offset the costs, start minimum bids higher or put up a reserve price. That is why these things exist.

So, if we both agree (I think) that these other costs exist, why is it 'unfair' or 'dishonest' for the buyer to pay them, since they're part of shipping?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Bob Cthulhu posted:

So, if we both agree (I think) that these other costs exist, why is it 'unfair' or 'dishonest' for the buyer to pay them, since they're part of shipping?

Like I've said about five times at this point it's mostly a matter of perception on the part of the buyer. However logical it might seem that the cost is the same either way, if you say the shipping is this much and it's actually a lot less it feels like I have been had. It's just one of those gut reactions you either have or you don't have.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
What if it's a seller that considers himself to be an "honest" seller because he is able to allow a customer to pay $13 for a figure by charging $1/$12 shipping, and with that method reduces his ebay fees, further enabling him to allow a lower overall price? Everyone in this thread is making an awful lot of assumptions about everyone else. I know it's not the case every time, but it's unreasonable to assume that ever seller overcharging on shipping is trying to be a sneak.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fingers McLongDong posted:

What if it's a seller that considers himself to be an "honest" seller because he is able to allow a customer to pay $13 for a figure by charging $1/$12 shipping, and with that method reduces his ebay fees, further enabling him to allow a lower overall price? Everyone in this thread is making an awful lot of assumptions about everyone else. I know it's not the case every time, but it's unreasonable to assume that ever seller overcharging on shipping is trying to be a sneak.
Well as Travis mentioned, it isn't necessarily the actual "honesty", it's the perception of honesty. I mean, it's not like buyers take the time to interrogate every seller about their motives and poo poo.

There are times where I'll see a seller offering up an item for a LOT cheaper than everyone else, but with a higher shipping price (and I'm not talking a couple of bucks here). However even with the higher shipping, it's still a LOT cheaper in total. Sometimes I'll message the seller and ask, "why is shipping so high?"; I don't ask them in a confrontational way, I just express curiosity, and most people are polite about it and tell me why. And usually, I'll buy from them. :)

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I just fixed the broken peg on my Nightwing, which was broken in the package. DCUC figures are by far the biggest pain in the rear end ever to work with. Took me 45 minutes to drill out the piece of broken peg and to get the screw in the hole. That plastic is like iron.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Djarum posted:

I just fixed the broken peg on my Nightwing, which was broken in the package. DCUC figures are by far the biggest pain in the rear end ever to work with. Took me 45 minutes to drill out the piece of broken peg and to get the screw in the hole. That plastic is like iron.

I changed the fists on Eradiactor and one of the pegs broke so I had to drill it out :(

Also I found two of the Secret Wars packs and some of the new ML two packs so expect a big update soon here and on my scalper eBay store with only mildy inflated shipping.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Xenomrph posted:

Sometimes I'll message the seller and ask, "why is shipping so high?"; I don't ask them in a confrontational way, I just express curiosity, and most people are polite about it and tell me why. And usually, I'll buy from them. :)

Yeah I've gotten people who have asked me about things like that before as well. I usually respond with a very straightforward answer "To offset eBay fees" and depending on any counter response I will decide whether or not the ban the bidder. Like if he comes at me and complains and tell me to eat several dozen penises I wouldn't want to deal with him at checkout.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

mods rename me posted:

I changed the fists on Eradiactor and one of the pegs broke so I had to drill it out :(

Also I found two of the Secret Wars packs and some of the new ML two packs so expect a big update soon here and on my scalper eBay store with only mildy inflated shipping.

The leg was broken on mine. That thigh is made like cast iron. My fingers hurt now.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!

Xenomrph posted:

Are you kidding? The root of the problem isn't even debatable. The scalpers bought the items off the shelf with the explicit intention of marking them up, with complete disregard for if buyers would pay that marked-up price. As Djarum pointed out, many times people aren't willing to pay the marked-up price, and so now the scalpers are forced to lower the price just to move the product.

The scalpers buying up all the product in the first place is the obvious root cause of the scalper problem. Sure the buyers could wait for the scalpers to lower their prices, but the only reason they have to is because the scalpers bought up all the stuff in the first place and marked it up. Seriously, it's not that complex.

I'm not saying there aren't other factors in the economics of scalping - yes, the buyers being willing to pay those prices plays a factor, as does the distributor not offering enough supply - but the primary root cause is the scalpers themselves initiating the process out of sheer greed. Altering the other factors could mitigate scalping, but the one sure-fire way to stop it cold is for scalpers to not be douchebags and put people in a situation where buyers have to buy from scalpers because they bought up all the stock (or not buy at all).

If there were no market for what the scalpers do, there would be no scalpers. As far as waiting, I didn't mean for scalpers to lower their prices, I meant like the movie masters joker, or people that spend premiums on figures that are released in one part of the country but not yet in another and hadn't made it to retail. Those things will become available, just wait.

The "scalpers" are not a big cabal that intentionally buys up everything to resell it. Generally it seems they go after the short packed figures, or something they think they can make a profit on. So obviously it is debatable because I don't agree with you. As long as people are willing to pay scalper prices for items, there will be scalpers. Your sure fire way to stop scalpers doesn't sound very sure fire. I think mine sounds much more logical: Don't buy from them.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

edit-- gently caress it, this derail is retarded. Scalpers are dumb, scalper apologists are almost as dumb, whatever.

In other news, my SDCC Dead Space figure came in the mail today, it's pretty righteous.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 9, 2009

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!

Xenomrph posted:

edit-- gently caress it, this derail is retarded. Scalpers are dumb, scalper apologists are almost as dumb, whatever.

In other news, my SDCC Dead Space figure came in the mail today, it's pretty righteous.

I'm not even an apologist as I don't like them either. We are arguing over semantics really.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Oh well in that case, I apologize for calling you a scalper apologist. :doh:

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Who was the guy that like the Terminator figs? I need to bother them via private message.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

On a different note, the page I posted a few pages back with a bunch of headsculpts just updated with about 20 new things, including weapons.

http://www.skintuckyfried.com/dmc/dmcdirect/dmcdirect.htm

I've been wanting a Two-Face head for so long. Awesome.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Fish Of Doom posted:

On a different note, the page I posted a few pages back with a bunch of headsculpts just updated with about 20 new things, including weapons.

http://www.skintuckyfried.com/dmc/dmcdirect/dmcdirect.htm

I've been wanting a Two-Face head for so long. Awesome.

Nice. Still nothing I need. I need to figure out what comes with this UZI that I keep seeing people having on customs. I have never figured out what it comes it. My Punisher requires a UZI.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Found the Nemesis line this morning on a shelf full of water toys at Wal-Mart, only one complete set left by time I got there at 10 am, fuckin picked clean by our local scalper faggots who did the same thing with the Ares line.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

If there was stuff left how do you know it wasn't someone else like you!?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

It's a common occurrence in the toy world that if something is gone before you get there its always a scalper, no exceptions.

I used to like reading He-Man.org back when the 200x line was out, and some guy would be like "I went to Walmart and saw 5 Evil Lyn's, I bought them all so some scalper scumbag couldn't get them. I now have them for trade, but I want at least $50 worth of figures for each one."

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Satsuki posted:

It's a common occurrence in the toy world that if something is gone before you get there its always a scalper, no exceptions.

I used to like reading He-Man.org back when the 200x line was out, and some guy would be like "I went to Walmart and saw 5 Evil Lyn's, I bought them all so some scalper scumbag couldn't get them. I now have them for trade, but I want at least $50 worth of figures for each one."

I ended up doing that for the same reason "here are some figures to trade I only need rare stuff."
It wasn't on purpose, but that's just how it ended up.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

mods rename me posted:

I ended up doing that for the same reason "here are some figures to trade I only need rare stuff."
It wasn't on purpose, but that's just how it ended up.

How was picking my Wal-Mart clean yesterday morning then?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

My Wal-Marts have been worthless lately.
Back to the shipping question, I just had a buyer complain about a calculated shipping price on a video game so there's no pleasing people really :(

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Maybe just add a thing in your details about the product that the shipping covers not only the postage but the packaging and your time traveling to the post office or what not. Course then again I only usually dispute postage on something when its like 20 bucks shipping on a loose action figure or something that should not cost anywhere near that.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

mods rename me posted:

My Wal-Marts have been worthless lately.
Back to the shipping question, I just had a buyer complain about a calculated shipping price on a video game so there's no pleasing people really :(

Yeah and why can MattyCollector charge $10 for shipping for one figure and my price of $6 is "outrageous"?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

They're a legitimate business, of course it costs them 10 bucks to put poo poo in a box with a bunch of brown paper and an invoice!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jet Ready Go posted:

Yeah and why can MattyCollector charge $10 for shipping for one figure and my price of $6 is "outrageous"?

Oh don't even get me started on mattycollector. :(

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Their shipping is my number 2 problem with them. #1 is that they're pawning these things off at specialty small company (NECA, Mezco) prices for poo poo that's not in the same stratosphere of quality, in addition to them being one of the biggest toy companies in the world. It's offensive.

but yeah, eat a loving dick mattel $10 shipping for a goddamn 3 3/4" figure?

Ogmios
Dec 2, 2004

Angry pumpkin, Japanese demon, dragon of avarice...
Action Figure Pics is reporting that some DCUC Gotham 5-packs have hit some Walmarts in the Houston area!!

http://www.actionfigurepics.com/2009/08/dc-universe-classics-gotham-city-5-now-hitting-wal-mart

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ogmios posted:

Action Figure Pics is reporting that some DCUC Gotham 5-packs have hit some Walmarts in the Houston area!!

http://www.actionfigurepics.com/2009/08/dc-universe-classics-gotham-city-5-now-hitting-wal-mart

Those look REALLY good. How much do those cost? I need to get one. I need to get a Clayface too. I think I am just going to buy nothing but GL characters and Batman rogues out of DCUC now, except for certain exceptions.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
Does Diamond Select/Art Asylum have a long, known history of never ever shipping figs even close to their release dates, or is it just Battlestar that's getting dicked over?

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Why is Catwoman purple? That looks terrible.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Why is Catwoman purple? That looks terrible.

The classic Catwoman look is purple. I am guessing it is a homage to that, since the others are in classic look/colors. A black drybush would make that look fantastic though. If it is the right price I will pick it up.

I am also starting to think about putting together a custom modern Batman figure. Every single one I have and have seen have issues so I am just going to steal parts that I like on each one and make a good one. I am going to add double knees and elbows though, Batman needs them damnit!

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

Doc Faustus posted:

Does Diamond Select/Art Asylum have a long, known history of never ever shipping figs even close to their release dates, or is it just Battlestar that's getting dicked over?

No, it's Diamond Select having a long, known history of never ever shipping figs even close to their release dates. Star Trek, Stargate, Battlestar... nearly all of these lines are almost always delayed. I usually add about 6 months to the date they say they will be out.

Lately though, it seems to be a case of IF they will come out at all. Apparently Stargate series 5 is on "hold" until they get more preorders, and this the same reason Battlestar series 4 keeps on getting delayed, and the reason the Star Trek Borg figures (among others) were cancelled.

Here's Diamond's latest round of Q&A concerning Galactica and Stargate, and things don't sound too good.

http://www.artasylum.com/blog/2009/08/ask-dst-49/#more-1312

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

Jace Madan posted:

Here's Diamond's latest round of Q&A concerning Galactica and Stargate, and things don't sound too good.

http://www.artasylum.com/blog/2009/08/ask-dst-49/#more-1312

Saw the latest Q&A, which is what made me ask. My local shop refuses to order since they have to order an entire case, rather than just what I want :rolleyes: I guess I could pre-order with DST to do my part to get the line made. Does it count equally if I preorder with somewhere else?

Life was so much easier when my LCBS was owned by a guy who would actually buy/preorder the whole cases, and then sell things to people who wanted them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

Vouching for this guy, despite the fact he forgot one of the heads I ordered (oops). He said he'd send me another Wed. when he's at home; the ones I did get came super fast and are great quality. Take a little bit longer to soften up, but they pop right on just like any other would.

I sent him an e-mail asking if he'd make a Captain America Shield, Rifle, or Samurai Sword (From Elektra-2 pack). I'd be happy to send him some if he doesn't have any.