Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
causticfluids
Dec 25, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I picked up a G6 a few days ago to upgrade from my eton FR500. I like it so much better! It's tiny and awesome. I get great SW and with SSB I can listen to the local hams. I can't believe I've been missing out on 2/3 the SW spectrum, as the FR500 only covers to ~12MHz.

However, has anyone gotten anything on the air band yet? I stood outside two different airports for two hours scanning through the freqs and got nothing. Not even camping on a tower freq gave me anything, though I was a few miles away from that airport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sierra
May 11, 2004
Buy me a custom title!
I just heard a Spanish number station! I stumbled upon it around 5850 kHz already in progress at about 7:10 UTC and it was some lady reading off numbers in spanish for about ten minutes.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

I have been reading this thread and contemplating buying a radio for month or two. I am looking at the Grundig G6 due to the recommendations in this thread. Has anyone had experience with Grundig G6 Aviator Buzz Aldrin Edition Shortwave Radio compared to the standard edition? I can pick it up for $90 at radio shack tomorrow, it is just that the lowest on most websites is $100 for the standard, so I am worried about the quality of the special edition model. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

causticfluids
Dec 25, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

daspope posted:

I have been reading this thread and contemplating buying a radio for month or two. I am looking at the Grundig G6 due to the recommendations in this thread. Has anyone had experience with Grundig G6 Aviator Buzz Aldrin Edition Shortwave Radio compared to the standard edition? I can pick it up for $90 at radio shack tomorrow, it is just that the lowest on most websites is $100 for the standard, so I am worried about the quality of the special edition model. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I believe they are the same. Be aware, I got mine for $60 at my local radio shack so check some others in the area. This radio is awesome!

sig86
Jun 28, 2009
For anyone that may be hunting around for numbers stations right now, I'm pretty sure I'm listening in on one. It's transmitting morse code in 5 letter sequences. I'm on my Grundig S350DL at 5900 khz. It's coming in relatively clear here on the west coast.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

I just got a Grundig G6 ($90) and have been playing with it and found Cuba and Guatemala's stations, as well as a a preacher that sounded like Christopher Walken and some Morse code around 8400khz. I'm excited to try later tonight, when I should have better reception.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

5070khz is a comedy goldmine of religious conspiracy theorists :catholic::respek::tinfoil:. About police being homosexuals and placing them under citizens arrest and other secular problems and they are looking for first time callers!

daspope fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 29, 2009

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Far out! I've recently become interested in numbers stations and I've been contemplating making a thread about them. Lo and behold, one already exists. SA really does have everything. Bookmarking this poo poo. :dance:

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

daspope posted:

5070khz is a comedy goldmine of religious conspiracy theorists :catholic::respek::tinfoil:. About police being homosexuals and placing them under citizens arrest and other secular problems and they are looking for first time callers!

Now wait for Alex Jones to start for a healthy dose of :tinfoil::respek::jihad:.

Les Oeufs
May 10, 2006

daspope posted:

Oh man. I never knew that the government was using the clergy to turn the churches into "government worshipping devil cults". Its been way too long since I've used my E5.

edit: he also just told me that you can bite someone really hard if you want to.
Oh, and he just yelled "Lets go you murdering bankers!"
Wow! And Chinese and Russian cyber spies are hacking into our power grid and increasing our power usage and we'll eventually be plunged into darkness. I should go to mysolarbackup.com to buy a backup generator according to this ad. Oh, and their tagline? "Remember: the government doesnt own the sun!"

loving righteous. I've really got to listen to shortwave again.

Les Oeufs fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 29, 2009

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
That's it, next paycheck I'm buying a Grundig G6 Aviator Buzz Aldrin Edition Shortwave Radio.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Got a Grundig G6 Buzz Aldrin Edition ($90) for this thread. Now I need a good tutorial on how to set up a better antenna. I'm living with my father at the moment so I'm not exactly keen on hooking a slinky to the ceiling. Any advice?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Macrame_God posted:

Got a Grundig G6 Buzz Aldrin Edition ($90) for this thread. Now I need a good tutorial on how to set up a better antenna. I'm living with my father at the moment so I'm not exactly keen on hooking a slinky to the ceiling. Any advice?
Go to Radio Shack or a local home improvement store and buy one of these. Crimp or solder a length of wire (specific length can be whatever you have) into the back end and clip to the whip antenna on the radio.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

nmfree posted:

Go to Radio Shack or a local home improvement store and buy one of these. Crimp or solder a length of wire (specific length can be whatever you have) into the back end and clip to the whip antenna on the radio.

Sounds like a plan. I was thinking about getting a premade antenna. I know that Sony makes a really good one that you can just hang in front of your window, but it's only available in Japan and getting it could set you back $100.

I don't care really. As long as I can hear the really freaky poo poo from the opposite side of the globe, I'll be happy. :)

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Macrame_God posted:

Sounds like a plan. I was thinking about getting a premade antenna. I know that Sony makes a really good one that you can just hang in front of your window, but it's only available in Japan and getting it could set you back $100.
There are a couple of eBay stores that sell them; although I don't have one and haven't ever used one, the consensus is that they're pretty good for the money.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

nmfree posted:

There are a couple of eBay stores that sell them; although I don't have one and haven't ever used one, the consensus is that they're pretty good for the money.

Yeah. They look super easy to use and move around, plus I've heard nothing but great things about how well they pick up signals. I may get it later down the line (you know, after I'm done paying bills and poo poo and I feel comfortable with spending money on luxuries). I don't want to deal with the hassle of screwing around with slinkies and soldering kits and crap.

EDIT: Heh, I was listening in on the police scanner website posted earlier in this thread for Washington D.C. and heard a dispatcher mention a disturbance call about a "harasser" outside of The Church of Scientology. The harasser had a camera and was "wearing a mask".

Macrame_God fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 30, 2009

Extra Fancy Semen
Jul 20, 2009

by mons all madden
I am wondering if it would be possible to listen to North Korean radio from Australia.

Is it possible?
Would the setup needed be a big outlay?/$+work outweigh possible results.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Bumping this thread again (I wish it was as active now as it was back in '07 :( ). I need some more advice on a good indoor antenna. I've read in Passport '09 that the MFJ-1020C is pretty good, but discussions online say that it's a hunk of junk. Passport '09 also says that the Wellbrook ALA 1530 is pretty slick and I’ve heard nothing but excellent things about it, but it seems kinda pricey and having to order it from the UK seems like a hassle. Is either one worth considering or should I just settle with ordering an AN-LP1 off eBay?

OlSpazzy
Feb 10, 2004

I have a thread over in SH/SC asking for help translating some speaker interference I recorded, and it was suggested that it's possibly some sort of SSB/ham radio transmission that you guys might be able to help translate. If anyone wants to give it a shot, I'd appreciate it!

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

I was just listening to Radio Habana which currently has some pretty good music on and decided to check out other stations. 5985 has a preacher that sounds like he has downs, it is in english, but it sounds like it is not his first language.

"Sometimes people die and they go to hell and that makes some people very very very sad and that is bad." I've listened for a few minutes and cannot collect what he is attempting to convey. I'm tempted to think it is someone doing an impression of Special Ed from Crank Yankers.

Kyle0wnsyou
Aug 1, 2007

Boogie Nights
Got my technician ticket in '05, didn't use it till about a month ago!

I'm operating out of Long Beach, and with my old ICOM IC-255A, I had no chance of getting into most repeaters down here w/o a PL encoder.

Yesterday I purchased a Yaesu FT-2800M from another ham I met on the Catalina Island Repeater. Works awesome, and finally I can get into the repeaters here in Southern California.

I'll be on the 2M band for some time now, I don't see myself getting into other bands for a while.

KI6BRY

Kyle0wnsyou fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 3, 2009

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

This thread has inspired me to hit up all the thrift stores and pawn shops in my local area. The kinds of deals people are getting are insane and I want to see if I can get in on one.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Kyle0wnsyou posted:

Got my technician ticket in '05, didn't use it till about a month ago!

I'm operating out of Long Beach, and with my old ICOM IC-255A, I had no chance of getting into most repeaters down here w/o a PL encoder.

Yesterday I purchased a Yaesu FT-2800M from another ham I met on the Catalina Island Repeater. Works awesome, and finally I can get into the repeaters here in Southern California.

I'll be on the 2M band for some time now, I don't see myself getting into other bands for a while.

KI6BRY
The ham radio thread is here.

Sierra
May 11, 2004
Buy me a custom title!
After a week of owning a Grundig G6, I returned it to RadioShack today. I really wanted to like this radio, but the thing that drove me nuts about it was the fact that it was wayyyy too sensitive. There were tons of images of local AM stations in the shortwave band, and it just really killed the fun whenever I thought I'd found some distant station, only to discover it was just a local station bleeding through. For now, I think I'll just make do with my old Grundig Yacht Boy 230, since it picks up just as many stations as the G6 did, with none of the AM interference.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

My AN-LP1 antenna came in today. Picking up crazies on 5070. Niiiice.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Macrame_God posted:

This thread has inspired me to hit up all the thrift stores and pawn shops in my local area. The kinds of deals people are getting are insane and I want to see if I can get in on one.

I'm going to do that tomorrow after work. I really want to buy a G5/G6 but I want to see if I can find something as functional or close to for cheap first. Plus I'm beginning to think a scanner would be more fun and up my alley than shortwave. Listening to ham conversations doesn't sound as fun as listening to police officers or even the odd cordless phone here and there.

I'm learning so much though just through reading. I've always been fascinated by this stuff but never bothered to research.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Social Animal posted:

I'm going to do that tomorrow after work. I really want to buy a G5/G6 but I want to see if I can find something as functional or close to for cheap first. Plus I'm beginning to think a scanner would be more fun and up my alley than shortwave. Listening to ham conversations doesn't sound as fun as listening to police officers or even the odd cordless phone here and there.

I'm learning so much though just through reading. I've always been fascinated by this stuff but never bothered to research.

I, too, have been considering getting a scanner. I hit up the police scanner website that was posted earlier in this thread and there's wild stuff on that all the time. Unfortunately Passport '09 doesn't carry any significant info on scanners so getting started as to where to look is going to be difficult.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

My local Goodwill yielded this:

Click here for the full 1856x1392 image.

A JCPenney CB radio. Forgive me, I'm terrible at photography so it might be hard to see. It came with the mic too but this thing must be ancient. Anyone know if it can be serviceable at all?

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

The back has a spot for an antenna and a jumble of wires jutting out, was this supposed to be put in a car?

I'm going to check out two more thrift stores tomorrow and if I can't find anything decent I'll fork over the cash for the G5 and see what I can find for a scanner later.

edit: I did some quick research and I think I need a power supply?

Social Animal fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 8, 2009

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Goddamn, a recent thunderstorm fried my G5 :cry: I guess I'll have to buy something new.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Nostratic posted:

Goddamn, a recent thunderstorm fried my G5 :cry: I guess I'll have to buy something new.

I'll sell you my G5 for $50. I've only used it about half a dozen times, I bought it thanks to this thread and just never got into it. PM if you're interested.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Social Animal posted:

My local Goodwill yielded this:

Click here for the full 1856x1392 image.

A JCPenney CB radio. Forgive me, I'm terrible at photography so it might be hard to see. It came with the mic too but this thing must be ancient. Anyone know if it can be serviceable at all?
If you're looking to use a CB, probably. One note, however: the word "scanner" refers to the fact that it can scan through all the CB channels, not that it's a police scanner.

Social Animal posted:

The back has a spot for an antenna and a jumble of wires jutting out, was this supposed to be put in a car?
Yup!

Social Animal posted:

edit: I did some quick research and I think I need a power supply?
You'll need a 12V power supply sort of like this one from MFJ; Radio Shack used to carry a couple that were a little smaller and more affordable, but I can't find them on their website (you only need about a 5A supply). eBay can also be useful for finding things like this.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

nmfree posted:

If you're looking to use a CB, probably. One note, however: the word "scanner" refers to the fact that it can scan through all the CB channels, not that it's a police scanner.

Yup!

You'll need a 12V power supply sort of like this one from MFJ; Radio Shack used to carry a couple that were a little smaller and more affordable, but I can't find them on their website (you only need about a 5A supply). eBay can also be useful for finding things like this.

Thanks for the info. Well this would be fun to play around with if I could find some speakers and one of those power supplies. I guess I'll just leave it around for later.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Messed with a G6 at RadioShack today. Jesus Christ it's tiny.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Social Animal posted:

Well this would be fun to play around with if I could find some speakers
Is the built-in speaker broken?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

nmfree posted:

Is the built-in speaker broken?

Oh I didn't know it had one. Shoot I need to grab a power supply and mess around with this. Thrift stores today didn't have anything so I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get the G5 tomorrow. Can't wait!

Les Oeufs
May 10, 2006

Macrame_God posted:

My AN-LP1 antenna came in today. Picking up crazies on 5070. Niiiice.

Gaaah, I'm really torn about picking one of these up. Where do you live? And how many more stations do you think you can pick up now that you've added it?

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Les Oeufs posted:

Gaaah, I'm really torn about picking one of these up. Where do you live? And how many more stations do you think you can pick up now that you've added it?

I live in South Metro Atlanta. It picks things up more clearly than with the regular antenna, that goes without saying and I can pick up on a few more stations though it won't be until tomorrow night until I can really try it out (I've been busy all week). Chances are that I might still pick up some interference though since the room I work out of has a lot of computer equipment. Still, I recommend getting one anyway since they're no longer in production. You might as well get one while they're still available.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Is it possible to locate where a transmission is occurring?

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

My other half bought me a lovely E5 for my birthday and I've been hunting around the airwaves - caught a VOLMET transmission (we live a few miles out from Heathrow Airport) which was exciting. It makes me sad that the Lincolnshire Poacher is no longer active - I remember catching it a few times on my old radio and being suitably creeped out. An older acquaintance with military connections informs me that the content was very mundane and the broadcasts were only really used for training purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

So I went to Radioshack and bought the G6 Buzz Aldrin edition. I wanted the G5 but they didn't have it. Oh well good enough I guess, this is fun.

• Locked thread