Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
it got so bored with nothing to destroy that it made something

TO DESTROY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Cabbit posted:

Am I entirely alone in thinking that the planet in the rift sort of looks like an upside down Eberron?

oh poo poo if the OOTS went to xendrik it would be bananas

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Maybe everything the Snarl "destroyed" is actually alive in the Rift... So the Greek gods, the previous planet, the Dwarf barbarian from Soon's team, all chillin' in there. Or maybe since the remaining gods are mostly getting along, the Snarl has calmed down somewhat?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Maybe that's the world where their players live, and it's the tears in reality that have let the characters become aware of the game rules! :haw:

I'm half-tempted to theorycraft a way in which the order could take down Xykon & co, but it seems a little pointless.

Mister Burke
Jan 29, 2009

by Ozma
Maybe there never was a snarl.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist

Mister Burke posted:

Maybe there never was a snarl.

that's what I'm saying. In the link I posted, Redcloak said "it's fascinating that the snarl hasn't come out in over 4 months, but whatever." I think the crayon drawings were a god-propaganda lie.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
I'd think it more likely the Snarl has become sentient and godly on its own part.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?
Maybe they have it all backwards and have they've been on the real world trapped inside the rift now looking out this whole time. (I'm just throwing wild-rear end guesses out there since the author hates it when people guess his plot-lines.)

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

he has his own forum that's constantly crashing to worry about, I doubt he checks SA at all. besides, he's on hiatus for three weeks so post away.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

It looks like Snarl World is in, entering, or exiting an ice age.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
I think the white patches are just supposed to be clouds.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Geshtal posted:

Maybe they have it all backwards and have they've been on the real world trapped inside the rift now looking out this whole time. (I'm just throwing wild-rear end guesses out there since the author hates it when people guess his plot-lines.)

I think the Snarl is either good, bad, neutral, ambiguous, or multiple entities consisting of some set of the previous options.

There! Try to rewrite the plotline to avoid guesses now, sucka!

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Or perhaps the Snarl created the planet, being Earth. And he is a single deity who we refer to as God.

Dooey
Jun 30, 2009
Hah! Perfect that his vacation would coincide with mine :)

Anyway, does anyone know where to get Start of Darkness? (or any of his other books for that matter?) I've looked a few places, including online, and none of them have it :(

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Um, he has an online shop on the site.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

bison wings posted:

that's what I'm saying. In the link I posted, Redcloak said "it's fascinating that the snarl hasn't come out in over 4 months, but whatever." I think the crayon drawings were a god-propaganda lie.

It's possible, but what would be the point? It's not some Da Vinci Code conspiracy throughout the ages, the rifts were only discovered maybe 30-50 ( maybe a bit more, but definately less than 100) years before OotS starts. Soon directly witnessed a snarl attack (it killed his wife), and since he's presumably not "in on it," we know the Snarl does exist in some form, and that it will attack those near the rifts (except at Azure City's rift, for some reason). Now perhaps everything the crayon crew learned about the rifts were a lie, but again, to what end? Who do the gods answer to that they'd need to lie about it?

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Maybe the Order of the Scribble (Soon's group)'s creating the gates stabilized the Snarl, and this new world has formed since then?

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Mylan posted:

It's possible, but what would be the point? It's not some Da Vinci Code conspiracy throughout the ages, the rifts were only discovered maybe 30-50 ( maybe a bit more, but definately less than 100) years before OotS starts. Soon directly witnessed a snarl attack (it killed his wife), and since he's presumably not "in on it," we know the Snarl does exist in some form, and that it will attack those near the rifts (except at Azure City's rift, for some reason). Now perhaps everything the crayon crew learned about the rifts were a lie, but again, to what end? Who do the gods answer to that they'd need to lie about it?

But see, here is the twist: the crayon drawings weren't "actual history". We don't know what actually happened to Soon and the crayon crew. All we KNOW is what Hojo said happened. It's entirely hearsay. If Burlew had just told the story in speech bubbles alone we'd be more inclined to disbelieve it. But because it was presented visually and we "saw it with our own eyes", we are inclined to believe it. Alfred Hitchcock was the first to experiment with that maneuver: he filmed a scene that was later revealed to have never actually happened to any of the characters. The audience was livid.

When Soon showed up in the throne room he never mentioned the Snarl. Neither has Thor or any other gods when they've shown up in the actual story.

Why would Burlew do this you say? I have no answer for that. But this could easily be a 6th Sense type thing where if you pay attention to the clues that AREN'T there, it plausibly fits. But I'm not even sure yet myself. I'm just a nut for unreliable narration.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Dooey posted:

Hah! Perfect that his vacation would coincide with mine :)

Anyway, does anyone know where to get Start of Darkness? (or any of his other books for that matter?) I've looked a few places, including online, and none of them have it :(

Well if you don't want to use the artist's shop you can check out whatever your local comic book shop is (which can be found here or, if you don't like waiting two minutes for the website to load, here.) I got Origin of PCs from Comic Swap in State College and they had several of the other chapters as well (but sadly no Start of Evil.)

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

bison wings posted:

But see, here is the twist: the crayon drawings weren't "actual history". We don't know what actually happened to Soon and the crayon crew. All we KNOW is what Hojo said happened. It's entirely hearsay.

We know that all the gates mentioned so far actually exist. We know the Order of the Scribble were the ones that sealed the rifts by building the gates. Xykon has a diary of one of the members that proves that much (since they've been using it to find the gates). We know Soon was in fact the founder of the Sapphire Guard, for the purpose of protecting the Azure City gate, since his ghost shows up when it was threatened. Start of Darkness further details the late-in-life circumstances of two of the Order of the Scribble in non-crayon format that strongly collaberates Shojo's story.

Now as to the Snarl itself: That is much more of a mystery. At this point it's looking like we have have been misled about it's nature, in the very least. It hasn't attacked anyone outside the very large rift in Azure City, and we discover there's a planet within. I'm just trying to think why the gods would make up the story about the Snarl? (Since Soon, an epic Paladin, certainly would not be a party to such a deception, if was indeed his buddies that originated the story). Perhaps the other pantheons betrayed Zeus and friends and sealed them away in the pocket dimention, and to prevent nosy mortals from discovering and worshiping them, made up a frightening story about a soul-destroying monster that eats gods?

Mylan fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 9, 2009

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
Hasn't Redcloak gotten knowledge of the Snarl directly from his god, who was told by other gods? Unless the other gods are all playing a prank on the Dark One along with the Order of the Scribble, it seems likely the Snarl is- or was- real.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
We're due for some sort of plot switcheroo; this is a fantasy adventure after all, and our main source of info was Shojo, who (a) heard about events second-hand from his father, and (b) would willingly lie to Roy &co. if it would accomplish his goals.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Mylan posted:

Maybe everything the Snarl "destroyed" is actually alive in the Rift... So the Greek gods, the previous planet, the Dwarf barbarian from Soon's team, all chillin' in there. Or maybe since the remaining gods are mostly getting along, the Snarl has calmed down somewhat?
The Snarl isn't destroying the world, it's just converting it to D&D 4rth edition. The Gods (aka the gm) just want to keep playing 3.5.

Captain Controversy
Jan 25, 2007
eXCeSS bought me this account because I am a whiny BITCH!

Toplowtech posted:

The Snarl isn't destroying the world, it's just converting it to D&D 4rth edition. The Gods (aka the gm) just want to keep playing 3.5.

That's actually a really cool idea.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I have the feeling the snarl isn't even sentient, just a substance like the phlogiston of Spelljammer carrying along countless worlds in their crystal spheres. Only, instead of a combustible sea we have entropic raw chaos.

That said, Toplowtech's idea is by far the best.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Toplowtech posted:

I hope not, otherwise grognards.txt might as well just merge with this thread.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Toplowtech posted:

If Roy and Belkar found this out wouldn't they try and hasten that process...and wouldn't Xykon and all the casters be trying their damndest to stop it.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

tylertfb posted:

If Roy and Belkar found this out wouldn't they try and hasten that process...and wouldn't Xykon and all the casters be trying their damndest to stop it.

Not if it has to destroy the 3.5 world in the process. Kind of puts a damper on things.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

HKR posted:

I hope not, otherwise grognards.txt might as well just merge with this thread.
Well this campaign will end sooner or later (one or two more years i guess) and it would be good for Burlew if he could start a new campaign/comic with D&D 4rth edition without starting from scratch. But hey, it's just wishful thinking from my part: i just really want him to sell a "New Order of the Stick Official Campaign Setting" for D&D 4.0, featuring Belkar Bitterleaf as the Sexy Shoeless God of War.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I think the whole 4th thing won't happen anyway, since we have this post here from last may:

quote:

Those of you not currently involved in playing Dungeons & Dragons may or may not be aware that Wizards of the Coast is set to release a new version of the rules—the “Fourth Edition” rules—in less than a month. If the details of such things are of little interest to you, feel free to skip reading this overly verbose news post. You won’t miss much.

Ever since the announcement was made last August, I have gotten roughly 1.3 billion emails asking about whether The Order of the Stick will “convert” to the new system. It is a question I have deliberately avoided answering, much to the consternation of those who like to ask such questions. I will be answering it now: No.

But not in the way you might think. I’m not making some ideological stand about how the current 3.5 Edition is superior or any such thing. I’m simply saying that there will not be a conscious and visible change in the comic strip, wherein the characters convert to a new set of rules as they did in the very first strip. There are many reasons for this, not the least of which is that the purpose of the comic has shifted away from its original goal of simply poking fun at a game to an actual story, and it is that story on which I would like to focus.

Equally important is the fact that the new edition departs radically from prior versions of the game in terms of what classes and races are initially described. Whether or not this is good for the game isn’t really my concern; I’m more interested in the fact that converting would introduce dozens of unnecessary changes in my story. At the very least, I would need to devote many strips to showing off the ways that characters have been changed by the new rules, strips I would rather devote to advancing the story. This sort of thing isn’t as crucial a problem for a gaming group considering the new game, but when switching would force several of my main characters to significantly change their powers and abilities—and some wouldn’t even have their new abilities defined yet for at least another year!—it becomes less palatable. Again, though, to be crystal clear: This is not a condemnation of the new rules by me. I have not read them yet, having failed to get my hands on an advance copy some time ago. They may well be the finest fantasy roleplaying rules ever written. I wouldn’t know. What I DO know is that they are not suited to my needs as a storyteller at this time.

However, this does NOT mean that I will stop making jokes about the fact that the characters exist within a world that operates like a roleplaying game. Nor will I limit myself to either jokes about 3.5 Edition or 4th Edition. I’ll go where the humor takes me, and if that happens to create gross inconsistencies, then so be it. As an added benefit, I expect it will drive the fans who try to figure out exactly what is occurring in each strip from a strict D&D rules perspective absolutely nuts. If it really bothers anyone, simply imagine that the OOTS world follows someone’s homebrewed hybridization of 3.5 and 4th Editions, using bits and pieces from whichever ruleset they think works better.

Ultimately, as I alluded to in my first paragraph, many (maybe even most) of my readers are not actively involved in playing the current D&D game. Many were players of older editions in their youth who simply enjoy following a story that reminds them of their own past experiences. Others have no interest in roleplaying at all, and just like reading a comedic fantasy comic. My job as an author is not to reflect the current trends, but to deliver the most entertaining story, and I feel I can best do that by continuing on as I have been. Besides, the difference between those playing one version of the rules and another is not really that important in the final analysis. We all either play the same game, or at least appreciate it, and it is to that sense of unity between those who enjoy the hobby (and the genre that it inhabits) that I hope The Order of the Stick will continue to speak.

This post says what I've said in this thread multiple times; this is no longer a parody strip of D&D. This is a story that happens to take place within the context of D&D rules.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

HKR posted:

I think the whole 4th thing won't happen anyway, since we have this post here from last may:

This post says what I've said in this thread multiple times; this is no longer a parody strip of D&D. This is a story that happens to take place within the context of D&D rules.

Erm, maybe people weren't being serious? In a thread discussing a humourous D&D-based stick-figure comic strip that's always a possibility.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Three more days! C'mon!

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
For anyone who liked Erfworld, this is a reminder that they've been doing written updates all summer and they're pretty drat good. It'll take you an hour or two to go through them, which is an hour or two closer to OotS.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Pope Guilty posted:

Three more days! C'mon!

You son of a bitch! I clicked this thread only to have my hopes completely crushed! :argh:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

oobey posted:

You son of a bitch! I clicked this thread only to have my hopes completely crushed! :argh:

I didn't mean to disappoint anyone. :ohdear:

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Posting itt so other can have their hopes crushed as well :unsmith:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Hey, we all know that it'll be back on the 31st, so all these replies shouldn't get anyone's hopes up.

Do please ignore my sudden case of shifty-eyes-itis.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I wonder if the campaign might turn aquatic - Belkar is due to draw his last breath EVER soon - maybe he's going to get some gills?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

DoctorTristan posted:

I wonder if the campaign might turn aquatic - Belkar is due to draw his last breath EVER soon - maybe he's going to get some gills?

Rich isn't that tricky.

... is he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's still more comforting than The Vampire Belkar.