Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Swiss Army Knife posted:

Ended up getting a windfall of games. Anyone got some tips for Red Faction: Guerilla, Prototype, Arma 2 or Forza 2 (plus tips for the Microsoft Wheel, which I also got)?

For Red Faction: Guerilla the first upgrade you should buy with your salvage is the Extra Salvage From Ore upgrade. You get an extra 20% from mining nodes towards future upgrades.

The next one(s) you should buy is everything for the arc welder. Chances are when you first take the arc welder out you will look at it and be like "Short range, indiscriminate, low damage wtf". So you pop in the One Extra Target upgrade, and then the Only Target Hostiles upgrade, and buy some extra ammo capacity, and all for relatively cheap I might add. Then you become an unstoppable vehicle-frying, stunned EDF-punching killing machine.

Kind of. Also, do not play on hard. Normal difficulty is already relatively unforgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

Starsnostars posted:

I just bought No More Heroes and was wondering where I should be spending my money. Swords? Videos? At the Gym?

I'd say the Sword upgrades are quite important when they come, and after that Gym upgrades. Money's isn't terribly hard to come by in this game, as there are a couple of those assassination missions that give large sums for a short time (I think the last Pizza Butt assassination is 90k?) and the final big brawl is just a fun 3 minutes. Midgame the 2nd Pizza butt one gives good money too.

Anyway, just keep up on Gym upgrades and Swords, the videos and other things aren't really needed, though shirts and stuff are fun to mess with.

Oh, and you really don't need the last hella expensive sword until the end of the game. It's also needed to see the true ending, so there's that.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

BrokenLinux posted:

Think I'm going to grab The Witcher: Director's Cut off steam today (unless their weekend deal is too good to pass up). Anyone have any "what should I know's"?

Read page 39.
e: ...of this thread.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Zvahl posted:

Dragon Quest VIII blah de blah
Cool, that was incredibly useful. I kinda wanna restart my own DQ8 game, it's my second playthrough and I still have no idea what all those skills and crap are worth.

So it seems I have SWIYN FLOO and won't be leaving the house for while. Gonna play Kingdom Hearts. Any tips? I know the story already (wiki'd it so I could understand KH2) so don't worry too much about spoilers.

edit: Wow, maybe they changed it in KH2 or maybe it's just been ages since I played, but the jumping in this game is really awful and annoying.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 8, 2009

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Zvahl posted:

LIES ABOUT ASHTON.

Zvahl is mostly correct, but Ashton can be an absolute monster in the endgame and easily ties with Claude for damage output. Also who doesn't like a dude with pissy dragons glued to his spine?

Also, once you have sold some novels to a publisher don't forget to check back sometimes, you will collect royalties for-loving-ever.

The Rena and Claude plot have slight differences between them, but what it mostly boils down to is that both plots have an exclusive character. Rena gets another swordsman, good but pissy; and Claude gets a wizard who I cant accurately review because I never pick Claude.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

YggiDee posted:

The Rena and Claude plot have slight differences between them, but what it mostly boils down to is that both plots have an exclusive character. Rena gets another swordsman, good but pissy; and Claude gets a wizard who I cant accurately review because I never pick Claude.

The wizard guy is trash because spell casting sucks in SO2. You have to watch the spell animations over and over and they can at most do 9999 since spells only hit once. Compared to the best sword skills which can attack while the battle continues for faster fights and hitting multiple times.

Honestly though if you do anything Zvahl mentioned you'll basically take a sledgehammer to SO2's face and everything will become cake except the harder difficulties and the overcharged final boss so roll with whatever you like the most.

Extra tip: On the first continent there's a mountain path somewhere (I don't remember where though) and its a bunch of high level (for the area) enemies. One encounter is two purple balloon enemies that can only damage your MP. Abuse the gently caress out of these guys for easy experience.

aerether
Nov 3, 2008
College Slice

Nate RFB posted:

Can someone give me a few specific tips about Front Mission DS?

What is the maximum level for skills? 3?

It seems like Skill level is not tied to the level of your pilot. If I want to get Guide from Level 2 to Level 3, do I just have to successfully complete it X number of times? Or is its rate of Level Up proportional to the amount of experience obtained per turn?

I ask because I'm stuck a certain mission where I'm continually getting hosed by my guided attacks missing. I want to grind them up a bit in the Arena, but a lot of my characters with their current equipment sets are getting very little actual experience from the matches.

The maximum level for skills, is, incidentally, MAX, after level 3. Seriously. Also, skill progression is tied entirely to luck - it has a set chance to increase every time it's activated. I think the chance to increase a skill from 3 to MAX is something like 1/500 or something absurd. Lloyd seems to have a slightly higher chance of leveling his skills (he had Duel MAX, Switch 3, Guide 3, Speed MAX, and First 3 when I finished the game) but he's in every battle so I guess that explains it :v:

Also, if you're not getting very much exp from Arena duels, fight tougher opponents... you should be able to pick on certain enemies with very weak wanzers and monstrously high skills. I forget exactly which ones you should pick on, but somewhere out there is a person with, for example, lovely Zora-3A parts but a whopping 255 short skill. Outgun him (he'll likely blast off a part or two first) and bam, easy EXP. At least, that's how I remember grinding the Arena. Fight enemies where the odds are against you winning (1:1 at the minimum) and reset if you lose. It's also a good way to earn money for parts, in addition to being a good source of EXP.

Also, go out of your way to ensure you get a certain rifle that will almost assuredly break the rest of the game in half for you. It makes the Short skill even more broken than it already is.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
I've just bought ArmA II, what do I need to know? Obviously it's not your standard fps, so I'd appreciate any tips!

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

GreatRedSpirit posted:

The wizard guy is trash because spell casting sucks in SO2. You have to watch the spell animations over and over and they can at most do 9999 since spells only hit once. Compared to the best sword skills which can attack while the battle continues for faster fights and hitting multiple times.
It's only a small consolation, but that caster does learn Demon Gate. It hits the entire field many times for pretty worthless amounts of damage. The idea is to combine it with something I can't remember that might be Meteor Swarm so it hits everything several times for 9999. Of course that means you're putting TWO casters in your formation and disabling Motor Mouth, but hey. It's pretty. That counts for something, right? :shobon:

InsanityRocks
Oct 28, 2006
I'm a rocker . . I'm a roller too baby!
anyone got any tips for Bioshock its a game i've been meaning to complete and never really got around to it

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

InsanityRocks posted:

anyone got any tips for Bioshock its a game i've been meaning to complete and never really got around to it

Unless you're playing with vita-chambers off, don't worry about dying. Ever.

Again unless you're playing with vita-chambers off, the way to deal with big daddies is as follows: hit it until you die, then keep hitting it. When you die, you simply respawn at the vita-chamber with no penalty, and the big daddy retains its HP from before you died. Unless you're far away from a vita-chamber and don't feel like a couple minutes of walking, you never need to worry about using health packs.

The most powerful weapon is the wrench when you combine it with the stealth-related abilities like bonus damage from behind and freeze.

Saving little sisters yields greater rewards than killing them, it just takes slightly longer to get the reward.
When someone's standing in water, lightning bolt the water. When you set someone on fire, they will jump into water if it's available.

Hack absolutely everything. Cheaper items, security drone helpers, extra shop items and probably more that I can't remember. It's easy to do if you're playing on the 360, and even easier on PC.

A shrubbery! fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 8, 2009

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
I recently started playing the first Overlord for the PC. Exactly how evil should I be? I've only murdered a couple peasants and ransacked a couple homes, but I'm not overly evil at the moment. Without giving away any plot details, is it better plot-wise or gameplay-wise to be really evil or just sort of evil?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Being fully evil will give you several benefits (gold, minions, minion upgrades) that good choices will miss. You also get the evil ending that I enjoy seeing.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

A shrubbery! posted:

Unless you're playing with vita-chambers off, don't worry about dying. Ever.

Again unless you're playing with vita-chambers off, the way to deal with big daddies is as follows: hit it until you die, then keep hitting it. When you die, you simply respawn at the vita-chamber with no penalty, and the big daddy retains its HP from before you died. Unless you're far away from a vita-chamber and don't feel like a couple minutes of walking, you never need to worry about using health packs.

Ugh. Don't listen to this. It's accurate information, but the game will be significantly less fun if you just throw yourself at Big Daddies and wack them until they die. My advice: Enjoy the Big Daddy fights. One of the best things about the game is plotting out ways to take them down. You will have a much better time if you setup explosive rigged hallways to lure them into; or fight them in a room with friendly gun turrets while you zap them with electricity to immobilize them; or charm another Big Daddy and have one kill the other; THEN kill the weakened one.

The rest of the advice is helpful. I just don't recommend playing like death doesn't matter. It'd be like playing the Hitman games without using any disguises and just running in guns blazing. While you can technically beat the game that way, you're missing out on all of the fun the game has to offer.

Patzor
Feb 17, 2009

InsanityRocks posted:

Personally, I found the easiest way to take down Big Daddies by using tripwire bolts, which you get about 1/4 of the way into the game. Find a narrow corridor or doorway and plant 3-4 wires at about head height so you can easily crouch underneath them. Get the Daddy's attention from a distance with your pistol and retreat behind the wires and watch as the prey falls into your elegantly placed trap.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Patzor posted:

Does anyone have any tips for Tales of Symphonia?

-Look up what combinations of EX-gems are required to grant your characters the EX-skills you want. It's rarely a good idea to equip solely level 4 gems. Also, once an EX-gem is equipped, it can't be removed (only destroyed), but by the end of the game you should be rolling in them.

-After releasing the seal at the Tower of Mana, the next step will be to head towards Hima and fly to the Tower of Salvation. DON'T GO TO HIMA. First, return to Ossa Trail (where you first fought Sheena), enter the cave, and defeat the Sword Dancer.

-Be nice to Zelos, and always keep him as your avatar with the level 2 EX-gem "personal". Talking to female NPCs will earn items based on his luck stat.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Tales of Symphonia: After you fight the assassin girl, go north and across the bridge to the city in the lake. Buy two rabbit's feat.
The stuff you can customize is usually better than what you can buy.
Setting up unison attack combos once you can unison attacks is really important.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Jolo posted:

Ugh. Don't listen to this. It's accurate information, but the game will be significantly less fun if you just throw yourself at Big Daddies and wack them until they die. My advice: Enjoy the Big Daddy fights. One of the best things about the game is plotting out ways to take them down. You will have a much better time if you setup explosive rigged hallways to lure them into; or fight them in a room with friendly gun turrets while you zap them with electricity to immobilize them; or charm another Big Daddy and have one kill the other; THEN kill the weakened one.

The rest of the advice is helpful. I just don't recommend playing like death doesn't matter. It'd be like playing the Hitman games without using any disguises and just running in guns blazing. While you can technically beat the game that way, you're missing out on all of the fun the game has to offer.

And the thing that got me was when I would just throw myself at big daddies and the like, I wasted tons of ammo. I don't know if it ever becomes scarce but it bothered me so I would scheme instead.

Patzor
Feb 17, 2009
I started Fire Emblem for the Gameboy Advance recently and I'm getting stuck into it (just landed on Dread Isle). It's a very punishing game but I'm enjoying the challenge of trying to keep all my squad alive. I've noticed that some characters are very weak, ie Florina the pegasus knight, and just wanted to know what characters I should invest more time in and which characters I can afford to ignore to benefit me in the long run. Any other general tips would be nice too.

Also is there anyway to keep weapons like the Mani Katti from breaking or is just inevitable?

Patzor fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Aug 9, 2009

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

Patzor posted:

I started Fire Emblem for the Gameboy Advance recently and I'm getting stuck into it (just landed on Dread Isle). It's a very punishing game but I'm enjoying the challenge of trying to keep all my squad alive. I've noticed that some characters are very weak, ie Florina the pegasus knight, and just wanted to know what characters I should invest more time in and which characters I can afford to ignore to benefit me in the long run. Any other general tips would be nice too.

In the end it's all up to your luck. Every character has a chance to increase each stat on level up, based on their personal stat growths. This means that no character is guaranteed to be great. So you might as well just use the units that fit your play style, and give them the stat boosting items to make up for their deficiencies.

In general don't bother with units you receive that have already been promoted. IE: Paladins, Generals, Sages, etc. When you get them, they'll out class your current units, but they get little experience per kill, which could be better used by one of your weaker units. Also their stats are usually no where near what a character you've leveled up to promotion are like.

Speaking of promotion wait until a unit hits level 20. Unless they've maxed out an important stat (STR/DEF).

Don't be afraid to let your heroes fight. They've got to be in every battle. If they don't level up they're screwed in a couple of later battles. Hector will be a Beast in the late game.

Personally I prefer faster units. Anything that's likely to do 2 hits, is also likely to dodge a lot. So we're talking Myrmidons/Swordmasters, Mercenaries/Heroes, etc.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Sunday Punch posted:

I've just bought ArmA II, what do I need to know? Obviously it's not your standard fps, so I'd appreciate any tips!

Patch it. There's been a couple of major updates since the release and while the game still has many bugs, it's far better now than it was.

Save regularly. Triggers for missions often don't trigger, so being able to restart the level in the hope the trigger does go off saves you the hassle of playing the whole mission again.

Gameplay-wise (for the campaign or single missions, I haven't tried multi-player yet)

Slow and steady wins the race. You can use the element of surprise to bushwhack your opponents, but generally speaking if you're running around all over the place you're just making yourself an easy target. Linked to this, it's often easier to take an APC/Helicopter close to your intended target then approach on foot rather than barge right in, it just makes you a bit less noticeable.

Make use of the time increase function. It makes crawling across a field much more bearable.

Learn the squad (spacebar) and individual (F Keys) commands, because being able to get your team to do what you want quickly is crucial. I find the team AI ok, but sometimes they do wander around aimlessly in the face of fire and as a team member death is game over, I'd rather they stay alive...

More than anything though, enjoy it when it works. It's not yet a perfect game because of all the bugs, but if you get a feel for the game it's better than anything else out there at the moment.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
I just started SMT: Devil Survivor on the DS and am finding it very tough, so any advice would be appreciated. I've just gotten the ability to fuse demons. Should I be grinding free battles for money, so I can buy new demons whenever time progresses?

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

For the people asking about Fallout 1 mods, the basic ones you should get are:
1) TeamX's 1.3 unofficial patch (fixes a heap of bugs remaining in the game)
2) the child patch if you need it (the GOG version of fallout 1 is the UK version, which had the children models removed, leading to things like "ghost" voices and other such fun)
3) the NPC mod (makes the NPCs more like the fallout 2 versions where you can give them basic tactics to follow, change their armor and so on)
4) Sfall, lets you use the mouse wheel to scroll through inventory, speed up the game, use your middle mouse button etc.
5) High Res Patch, lets you boost the resolution above 640x480, and just updated this year with new stuff. Due to the way the fallout engine works, you probably won't want to play too much above 800x600 (the various interface graphics don't scale, so they'll be stuck at 640 width and whatever height, even on a higher resolution), but even at 800x600 the game looks much nicer.

Install them in that order.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

adamarama posted:

Should I be grinding free battles for money, so I can buy new demons whenever time progresses?
This is what I did, which worked great for a while. It gets much easier from that point until later in day 2, where I am now hopelessly stuck.

Portable Staplefrog fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 9, 2009

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Fight Night Round 4 advice (rather than glitches or game breaking strategies) would be awesome, I played FN3 for ages but ended up doing it on an easy difficulty and now this game is kicking my rear end.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Capsaicin posted:

The simplest way, however it relies on a bit of luck, is to put your cleric next to Laharl when he lands the killing blow. If they do a team up attack, your cleric will get XP too.

My method was to train my cleric in bows to leech exp off weaker enemy maps for a while, until she got access to slightly better healing spells, and had a bit of mana, then transmigrated into a star mage and switch to staves.

I was about lvl 100 with my cleric but i imagine you can do it as soon as you have enough mana for a genius reincarnation

Patzor
Feb 17, 2009

Jagtpanther posted:

Fight Night Round 4 advice (rather than glitches or game breaking strategies) would be awesome, I played FN3 for ages but ended up doing it on an easy difficulty and now this game is kicking my rear end.

Learn to use the weave. Seriously, just learn to counter-attack by dodging and you can beat the whole Legacy mode by doing this.

Also after an opponent gets knocked down they have very little health when they get back up. Keep on the offensive when they get back up and there's a good chance you can end the fight that round.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

aerether posted:

The maximum level for skills, is, incidentally, MAX, after level 3. Seriously. Also, skill progression is tied entirely to luck - it has a set chance to increase every time it's activated. I think the chance to increase a skill from 3 to MAX is something like 1/500 or something absurd. Lloyd seems to have a slightly higher chance of leveling his skills (he had Duel MAX, Switch 3, Guide 3, Speed MAX, and First 3 when I finished the game) but he's in every battle so I guess that explains it :v:

Also, if you're not getting very much exp from Arena duels, fight tougher opponents... you should be able to pick on certain enemies with very weak wanzers and monstrously high skills. I forget exactly which ones you should pick on, but somewhere out there is a person with, for example, lovely Zora-3A parts but a whopping 255 short skill. Outgun him (he'll likely blast off a part or two first) and bam, easy EXP. At least, that's how I remember grinding the Arena. Fight enemies where the odds are against you winning (1:1 at the minimum) and reset if you lose. It's also a good way to earn money for parts, in addition to being a good source of EXP.

Also, go out of your way to ensure you get a certain rifle that will almost assuredly break the rest of the game in half for you. It makes the Short skill even more broken than it already is.
I've essentially cruised through the game using nothing but Long attacks. I don't know how close I am to the end (just escaped from the airport) but really once I got Guide up to at least level 3 for 11 guys on my squad everything has been incredibly easy.

What was screwing up on that mission way back was that I was going for the missilers (who are without a doubt the ones you have to kill first in every mission), but trying to hit their arms. There were a few missions where disabling the missilers was simply easier. However in this one they kept on retreating and just regenerating back at their carriers. All I had to do was adjust my strategy to go for the bodies instead. And it hasn't changed since that mission.

I just can't see a way where Short is worthwhile, to be honest. Especially late in the game, even with the best HP/DF parts enemies in Short combat have a good chance at taking out an arm or leg each turn. So much easier to just skip that hassle and snipe them with missiles over and over.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 9, 2009

aerether
Nov 3, 2008
College Slice

Nate RFB posted:

I've essentially cruised through the game using nothing but Long attacks. I don't know how close I am to the end (just escaped from the airport) but really once I got Guide up to at least level 3 for 11 guys on my squad everything has been incredibly easy.

What was screwing up on that mission way back was that I was going for the missilers (who are without a doubt the ones you have to kill first in every mission), but trying to hit their arms. There were a few missions where disabling the missilers was simply easier. However in this one they kept on retreating and just regenerating back at their carriers. All I had to do was adjust my strategy to go for the bodies instead. And it hasn't changed since that mission.

I just can't see a way where Short is worthwhile, to be honest. Especially late in the game, even with the best HP/DF parts enemies in Short combat have a good chance at taking out an arm or leg each turn. So much easier to just skip that hassle and snipe them with missiles over and over.

My main reasoning for why Short is a great offensive skill:
-VERY easy to grind up. Combine that with smart battling at the Arena and you can level your Short to 99 in a relatively small period of time. Then again Long is pretty easy to grind up as well.
-High Short skill = high gun damage. Being able to hit 5 times (machine guns) for basically 99 damage apiece is awesome. It has a good chance to not only destroy arms and legs in a single attack, but the entire wanzer. At once. That also nets you lots of EXP.
-Duel and Speed. Higher damage output concentrated to one body part. Or just sprayed everywhere. Combine that with the absurdly high damage that a high Short skill will net you and you'll go places.
-Ziege Rifle.
-No need to waste turns reloading (granted, that's a piddly requirement).
-Switch turns one devastating machine gun barrage into two. I think I've seen it do three, but I might have been hallucinating.
-First, if you're lucky enough to get it to level 3+, will preempt enemies from sniping off your parts in the first place. Shields and a high Dodge skill also work very well.

To be fair, though, you're right; Long is a very good offensive skill as well, especially early game. I like softening enemies up with missile launchers and THEN go for the kill with machine guns.

Here's how my Lloyd is set up (put through the spoiler filter). He's my primary offensive attacker and the person I concentrated most of my thought into because he's pretty important to keep alive:

Level 41/Melee 08/Short 99/Long 34/Dodge 99
Duel MAX/Switch 3/Guide 3/Speed MAX/First 3

Body: Zenith V
Arms: Numsekar
Legs: Zenith V
CPU: Yeata
BP: Bag Worm

FV-24B machinegun on left hand.
WS-14B shield on left shoulder.
Albatross missile launcher on right shoulder.

I use a similar template for most of my pilots, in that they are versatile enough to attack from Short or Long range, but are mostly machinegunners. I have my dedicated missileers (Paul, Hans) and designated face-puncher (Meihua), but I have honestly found that Short provides the highest damage output, enough for me to rely only on one machine gun and Duel to get the job done. Plus, as I said before, leveling Dodge enough makes it so that shields are legitimately useful. Lloyd takes 1s and 0s when First doesn't kick in.

Though honestly, the game isn't that difficult (and I'm terrible at SRPGs!) so quibbling about the best way to annihilate Driscoll and co. is somewhat pointless :)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Zvahl posted:

When you have the money, buy the Bandit Glove in Herlie. Save your game, then go into Clik BEFORE IT IS DESTROYED in a private action. Watch the event where Filia predicts the town's doom, and pickpocket her to get the Mischief. This accessory tosses crap at you the entire game, including cash and little trinkets that give you free levels. It is amazing and wonderful.

The mischief is the coolest item in the game. I played through the destruction of clik a few times and had to stop because I was using Bleem instead of a real Playstation. The mischief is an awesome little item to have. It's the sort of thing that makes people say that SO2 was one of the best PS1 RPGs.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Okay so no one has anything to say about preparing me for Kingdom Hearts, fair enough, I played for a bit and it's a pretty broken-feeling game. So what about Kingdom Hearts 2? I some of it a while ago and can't remember much, seemed much more animu but also smoother controls. Any thoughts?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

aerether posted:

Though honestly, the game isn't that difficult (and I'm terrible at SRPGs!) so quibbling about the best way to annihilate Driscoll and co. is somewhat pointless :)
I just beat the final OCU scenario mission and it is laughably easy with a team of Long experts. I don't think I got hit once.

Is the USC scenario about as long as the OCU one? I clocked about 25 hours in the OCU scenario.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Corridor posted:

Okay so no one has anything to say about preparing me for Kingdom Hearts, fair enough, I played for a bit and it's a pretty broken-feeling game. So what about Kingdom Hearts 2? I some of it a while ago and can't remember much, seemed much more animu but also smoother controls. Any thoughts?
This won't help you much gameplay wise, but you should probably know that the story makes absolutely no sense whatsoever if you're not refreshed on the first game and Chain of Memories. Also, the first three hours are only tangentially related to the rest of the game, and in terms of gameplay they have almost nothing in common. If you can suffer through the first part (and you'll know when it's over), the rest of the game is fun to play.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Corridor posted:

Kingdom Hearts 2

:v:

Seriously, apply this to most of the game. Mulan's area is hard since Centaurs are nasty fuckers early in the game since they can do some nasty knockback if you start hitting them but magic is effective (although I think you're on a timed sequence when you first fight them but I think you can ignore them).

You can spam Reflect to make yourself invincible. It'll eat up your MP but it is effective when you fight the boss when you return to the Beast's Castle.

Also late in the game (like 'hey this is the final dungeon' part) there's a boss who shoots stuff at you. He's a cock who spends most of the time being impossible to hit or invulnerable. One invulnerable segment is when he teleports in the center of the platform your on and faces you before he shoots you a lot. Just run in circles, jumping or any other fancy techniques usually results in a lot of bullets in the face.

Atlantica is a DDR game.

Really pay attention to when you can do reaction commands. They are usually part of the "I win" strategy for bosses. Just watch for what it says because reaction commands and combo attacks look the exact same in every way except for the text of what pushing triangle does.

I'm not sure if this applies to normal difficulty, I first played through on hard and curbstombed most of the game.

For the first Kingdom Hearts, I don't remember it but lightning and healing magic is what you want to cast 95% of the time. Put those in the quick-use menu. In the intro one of the FF10 Babies will ask you something about the time. This affects the experience curve. Dawn means you level up quickly early on but slow down later and dawn is the opposite with noon being in the middle. I don't know which is more effective but you can beat the post game by level 60-75 iirc so choosing Dawn sounds the most effective.

Also guard is loving useless in both games.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

GreatRedSpirit posted:

Also guard is loving useless in both games.

Unless you're playing Final Mix on Ultimate difficulty in which case NOT guarding is often instant death. :barf:

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
This doesn't really belong here, but I don't think it needs a thread either with this one being around.

Mass Effect:
I'm doing this quest where I'm supposed to knock out a bunch of colonists.

First: Is there any way to make grenades explode earlier, instead of them default being on a LOOOOOOONG timer which often makes them useless (for this quest I have been given a grenade upgrade that will just knock them out).

Second: The quest informs me that I have two ways of knocking them out. One being the aforementioned grenades and the other being melee attack, but I can't find any melee attack button. I've looked through the controls and nothing that looks like it is there. If I take down my weapons and press fire they are just reequipped.

Help. :(

EDIT:
Apparently the first can be done by sprinting. - http://meforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=599924&forum=104 - What was I thinking :confused:

Jarl fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 10, 2009

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Jarl posted:

This doesn't really belong here, but I don't think it needs a thread either with this one being around.

Mass Effect:

First: Is there any way to make grenades explode earlier, instead of them default being on a LOOOOOOONG timer which often makes them useless (for this quest I have been given a grenade upgrade that will just knock them out).

Second: The quest informs me that I have two ways of knocking them out. One being the aforementioned grenades and the other being melee attack, but I can't find any melee attack button. I've looked through the controls and nothing that looks like it is there. If I take down my weapons and press fire they are just reequipped.

EDIT:
Apparently the first can be done by sprinting. - http://meforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=599924&forum=104 - What was I thinking :confused:

First can be done by pressing the grenade button again to explode them, and the second and be done by standing real close to them and pressing the shoot button.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
So I just downloaded X-com: Apocalypse after hearing endless good things abotu it around these parts. However, it does not seem to have any form of tutorial or guide. I've only played for a few minutes thus far, and was limited largely to starting a research project (that didn't seem to go anywhere) and dispatching agents to investigate buildings that pyramids (dimensional gates?) appeared over top of. All this accomplished was pissing off the owners. Any advice for a beginner?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Jarl posted:

Mass Effect:

EDIT:

Also, you might want to leave your allies behind at the beginning of any area. Garrus had a habit of reequipping his guns and shooting the colonists right in the face when I was trying to get close enough to melee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Getting Operation Darkness from Gamefly. Tell me how to shoot nazi werewolves and other enemies with ease! (and any gamebreaking things)