Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
Got a new guitar!

It's not a real fender, which is why I got it for $500, but its still an awesome guitar. All the parts are from allparts.com except for the EMG SAV active pickups. It's built to be similar to a 50's strat, so it's got the vintage style tuners and bridge. The gold pickguard actually looks pretty good against the 2 color sunburst body, and doesnt stand out as much as it does in these photos.
So far I'm absolutely loving it. I was skeptical about the active pickups, but they work really well with modelling software. I was originally planning on swapping them out for some torres buzzkuts, but I might just keep them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juicy_J
Jun 25, 2004
I.O.U. one gmail invite

Carbohydrates posted:

Check it out, previous owner put a graphite nut on it. As much as I like Gibsons, those stock plastic nuts they use are horrible, horrible garbage, and I'm glad the previous owner knew this, too.

Gibson uses bone nuts.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

juicy_J posted:

Gibson uses bone nuts.

Nope, they use corian.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
And even if they were bone, that wouldn't help with the fact that they don't know how to cut 'em. Of the 10 Gibsons I've owned, 6 had binding at the nut on at least one string when tuning or bending. Of the 4 that didn't, 2 had already had their nuts replaced when I got them.

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?
I never knew Gibson nuts were known to be dodgy. That might explain why my LP's high E string now sounds like a sitar when I play it open (it sounds fine playing any fret and I'm pretty sure it's not just normal fret buzz).

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
I had the same problem in an acoustic. The slot wasn't consistent across the length of the string so it moved slightly as it vibrated. Fretting the string applied enough pressure to hold the string in place. I ran a fine file through it and the problem was solved.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

PoorPeteBest posted:

I had the same problem in an acoustic. The slot wasn't consistent across the length of the string so it moved slightly as it vibrated. Fretting the string applied enough pressure to hold the string in place. I ran a fine file through it and the problem was solved.
My usual fix is to rub a string that's slightly larger than what the guitar is strung with through the slot a bit and then use a pencil to line the slot with graphite. Works pretty well.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Carbohydrates posted:

My usual fix is to rub a string that's slightly larger than what the guitar is strung with through the slot a bit and then use a pencil to line the slot with graphite. Works pretty well.

I did this when I went up several gauges, it works. I broke a nut recently from not widening the slots enough...

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

God help me, I bought another Ibanez RG. Anyone play the Breed Dimarzio pickups? Im thinking of putting some in this 2550.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Tasty-sounding tube amplifiers keep following me home lately. Today, an American-made Fender Hot Rod Deville 212. Sounds fantastic with a Tubescreamer. Sorry for the lame cellphone pic.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?

PoorPeteBest posted:

I had the same problem

Carbohydrates posted:

My usual fix

the wizards beard posted:

I did this

Sweet, thanks for the nut advice. Might save me a trip to the luthier.

Ozymandius
Oct 9, 2007

And now to go with the sexy ladies from before...

Sweet glorious Rubies for the XXX.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I want mine to be labeled "Dr. Booger" :3:
Remember this, many moons ago? Well, I just thought I'd give you all an update:

This goes in for clear coat today. I think a half a can should protect the acrylic for a long time. The paint job was done by my cousin Scott, who lives with me. If anybody else wants a pedal done by him (by any chance) let me know, and I'll hit him up. Maybe I'll set an email/webpage up for him through my website if there's enough interest.

Burdt did a fantastic job listening to all my whiny rear end requests, by the way (the 2 LED holes you see under the nose being the most whiny one).

juicy_J
Jun 25, 2004
I.O.U. one gmail invite

Side Effects posted:

Nope, they use corian.

When did they switch?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

So I finished building my drums.

My old set up:

Take one of these:

Add in the last two toms I just finished (10 inch)

And here's the final product (Minus proper wire wrapping):

It's been a lot of work, a lot of blood sweat and tears, but for the most part it's finished. I need to grab a few more cymbals and cymbal arms still.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

juicy_J posted:

When did they switch?

I wasn't aware that they even used bone on their electrics at all. They've been using corian for a looooooong time now, and I know that back in the Fifties and Sixties they used nylon for the nut.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Side Effects posted:

I wasn't aware that they even used bone on their electrics at all. They've been using corian for a looooooong time now, and I know that back in the Fifties and Sixties they used nylon for the nut.
Just did some googlin'. The old nuts were 6/6 Nylon 101, and at some point (the early 70's?), that was switched to corian for electrics and bone for acoustics. The new 50th Anniv R9s apparently use nylon nuts, too.

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy

The only thing I have in the rack is a power conditioner, because I ran out of money paying for all of this and this:

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Pirateparty posted:

What are those dongly looking things in between the Bad Monkey and noise supressor?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It is a 3-6 inch instrument cable used for connecting pedals.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
Is it really worth it to buy a pedal board? I keep looking and seeing them move into the hundreads of dollars for what I see as amounting to nothing more than slanted wood with some sort of carpet like top. If I'm not transporting the pedals any where in near future (really I just want to clean up the area near my amp), is it worth it to buy one or could I get away with just building my own?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you aren't moving it or your pedals anywhere, just make your own. You can make it into whatever you want and save money.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Colin Ex Machina posted:

b) I also got a General Guitar Gadgets kit (DOD envelope filter clone) and I intend to mod it and make it so it'll have a step sequencer a la those zvex pedals like the ringtone, etc. Still have to work out the switching on this one all the way but I'm cautiously optimistic.
If you want an actual DOD envelope filter, I've got one lying around that I haven't used in ages. It's EXTREME though, and it seems kind of an odd choice for modding.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Twlight posted:

Is it really worth it to buy a pedal board? I keep looking and seeing them move into the hundreads of dollars for what I see as amounting to nothing more than slanted wood with some sort of carpet like top. If I'm not transporting the pedals any where in near future (really I just want to clean up the area near my amp), is it worth it to buy one or could I get away with just building my own?

You can build your own. Advantage to having one with all the bells and whistles - easy to transport and no more batteries, also with some boards, more configuration options.

I have an SKB 45 - if you are local and interested in buying one.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I'm a fan of making my own. I use bicycle chain links to hold pedals to the board, maybe some rubber feet on the back to give it a little tilt and to hold it in place on the floor, and because I'm fancy, handles on the sides.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bisticles posted:

I'm a fan of making my own. I use bicycle chain links to hold pedals to the board, maybe some rubber feet on the back to give it a little tilt and to hold it in place on the floor, and because I'm fancy, handles on the sides.

I can one up you, mine has a luxurious $0.99 black spray paint can job with vintage 1980 screen door handles for improved tone :colbert:

But yeah it's worth it to have it all one one tray if say, you want to take it to your buddy's house. Or make room in your "studio" while the wife is having guests stay over. The guys at Lowes and Home Depot will happily cut down a $10 4x8'sheet of plywood into as many smaller sized pieces you need to make your own pedal board for free, just explain to them it's for a hobbyist project. The "cut fees" are mostly only for home builder contractors. Afterwards, swing down to the fastener and hinge aisle and you can screw together a fairly robust box of almost any size and configuration.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 11, 2009

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

It is a 3-6 inch instrument cable used for connecting pedals.

Gotcha, I didn't see the black loop at the top before (too much sunlight = couldn't see contrasting black on black), I just saw the blue part sticking up and couldn't figure out what the hell it was.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

Just did some googlin'. The old nuts were 6/6 Nylon 101, and at some point (the early 70's?), that was switched to corian for electrics and bone for acoustics. The new 50th Anniv R9s apparently use nylon nuts, too.

They switched to corian on their acoustics as well. Gibson sure loves their cheap plastic nut, which is ridiculous for what they're charging.

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy

Twlight posted:

Mine was $50 shipped, I thought about building one but I was too lazy :(

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Martin uses Corian too.
Corian isn't all bad, it is super hard and dense. Bone is king, but Corian can be a good substitute.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Pirateparty posted:

Mine was $50 shipped, I thought about building one but I was too lazy :(

Mind linking it? In my head I'm thinking I could do something semi fancy, but I have a feeling it will be plywood on the floor but something a bit raised, might allow for better cable management.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

Martin uses Corian too.
Corian isn't all bad, it is super hard and dense. Bone is king, but Corian can be a good substitute.

Don't get me wrong; corian certainly is a serviceable, easy to cut, and useful nut and saddle material that sounds pretty good for what it is. But, when guitar manufacturers are charging $5,000+ for an instrument, sticking on a plastic nut just seems wrong.

Gibson's Monarch, the $20,000 guitar, uses corian for nut and saddle.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
It's aliiiiiiiive!!!

(Okay, not really, I messed up the assembly process, but I'm sure burdt will respond to my email with helpful advice, even though I'd be pissed and frustrated if I were him)

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
I guess this counts?

I've been playing with and without picks for 15 years at this point. I've tried every kind of fingerpick out there and hate most of them. So now I've made the decision to shed the pick entirely and just go full-on into the Chet Atkins/Mark Knopfler/Merle Travis world. I've figured out how to do most stuff on my own, but my technique is poo poo. So I picked this up today.

It's great so far!

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Agreed posted:

<BARBER TONE PRESS>

You're going to love that thing. It's one of the most important pedals in my signal chain to getting my sound now. Basically magic.

Late update, maybe shouldnt be here itt, but Agreed, you weren't kidding about this pedal. Unbeleviably smooth, sustain for days, nice and quiet. Anyone who is sceptical needs to try this thing out...going to be an "always on" pedal for me I think.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

DaFuente posted:

I guess this counts?

I've been playing with and without picks for 15 years at this point. I've tried every kind of fingerpick out there and hate most of them. So now I've made the decision to shed the pick entirely and just go full-on into the Chet Atkins/Mark Knopfler/Merle Travis world. I've figured out how to do most stuff on my own, but my technique is poo poo. So I picked this up today.

It's great so far!

Not to discourage you, but I regret all the grimoire books I got. The beginning of them is good, and the DVDs are good. But in the end it's just basically a book where they guy just finds a bunch of obscure things you will never need to fill out the pages and raise the price.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Late update, maybe shouldnt be here itt, but Agreed, you weren't kidding about this pedal. Unbeleviably smooth, sustain for days, nice and quiet. Anyone who is sceptical needs to try this thing out...going to be an "always on" pedal for me I think.

Glad to hear you like it. Barber's a great designer and this compressor has ended many folks' searches for the missing element in their playing. Transparent to your attack, with all the great things you want from a good VCA compressor in terms of fullness and sustain enhancement.

The only two compressors I still want to try are the Diamond Compressor and the Wampler Ego Compressor. I've been in contact with Wampler in the past and I'm reviewing another of his designs very soon, already have it in (the Triple Recstortion) so it's possible that in the not too distant future I might have an opportunity to put the Tone Press and the Ego Compressor head to head, as the two big "parallel compression" designs on the market. Although Seymour Duncan has hopped on board with a new compressor with a blend knob, too...

burdt
Feb 28, 2009

i wanna make it (wit chu)

Gorilla Salsa posted:

It's aliiiiiiiive!!!

(Okay, not really, I messed up the assembly process, but I'm sure burdt will respond to my email with helpful advice, even though I'd be pissed and frustrated if I were him)

holy crap, that's amazing. i hope you're able to get it to work. i really need to start painting my boxes. i just finished a mosrite fuzzrite and am about to box a tremolo, i'm still using the same funky looking boxes the tubescreamers were in. here's the fuzzrite:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy

Twlight posted:

Mind linking it? In my head I'm thinking I could do something semi fancy, but I have a feeling it will be plywood on the floor but something a bit raised, might allow for better cable management.

http://www.rondomusic.com/pdc410d.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

burdt posted:

holy crap, that's amazing. i hope you're able to get it to work. i really need to start painting my boxes. i just finished a mosrite fuzzrite and am about to box a tremolo, i'm still using the same funky looking boxes the tubescreamers were in.
Those boxes are awesome in their own right, though. The only thing I'd suggest for them would be labels. If I had never thought of the whole booger thing, I would have left the pedal the way it was (then it wouldn't be broken :( ).