Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

DanAdamKOF posted:

Hey guys, the new IIDX Score Tracker (AKA the successor to VJ Army) is up.

Solid State Squad

I like it, it's quite Web 2.0.

Anyway, you can import your old scores from VJ Army, so what are you waiting for :)

Haha, beat me to it.

Yeah, S3 is up although not all features have come up with it yet. We'll be working on sorting those out right after we deal with the current hosting catastrophe that has brought down the forums for the past 3 days. We also need to get the Pop'n site set up.

The core functionality of the site seems to be working just fine though so stop by and sign up. New users and VJ Army vets are all welcome (everyone will need to sign up for a new account but as DanAdam mentioned there is an import function for your VJ Army scores)

It hasn't even been up for a whole day yet and we've already got over 120 users and 100,000 scores (albeit mostly from imports) which is pretty nice I think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
So I'm getting back into IIDX after about 3-4 years of not playing. I don't think 10th style was out when I stopped playing seriously. I was fairly decent I guess, nothing special. http://iidx.solidstatesquad.com/viewuser.php?user=271

I cannot for the life of me get my pinky/ring finger dexterity back. Maybe I didn't even use them that much, I can't remember. Patterns like the one below (random example) are killing me. There are a ton on the solo bit in Les Filles Balancent 7K I think.

code:
|  - _  |
|     -_|
|    _- |
|   -_  |
|  _
|_-_ _ _|
Any advice?

Snowberries
Oct 14, 2008

Practice/don't use pinky anyway (unless you are using it to scratch on 2P side). Mainly practice though.

notMordecai
Mar 4, 2007

Gay Boy Suicide Pact?
Sucking Dick For Satan??

glompix posted:

So I'm getting back into IIDX after about 3-4 years of not playing. I don't think 10th style was out when I stopped playing seriously. I was fairly decent I guess, nothing special. http://iidx.solidstatesquad.com/viewuser.php?user=271

I cannot for the life of me get my pinky/ring finger dexterity back. Maybe I didn't even use them that much, I can't remember. Patterns like the one below (random example) are killing me. There are a ton on the solo bit in Les Filles Balancent 7K I think.

code:
|  - _  |
|     -_|
|    _- |
|   -_  |
|  _
|_-_ _ _|
Any advice?

My friends tell me I play very, very strangely when it comes to finger placement but to do that solo (I just put my controller on my lap to do it how I would do it naturally)-

and here is what I got:

First bar: Left Middle
Second bar: Left Thumb
Third bar: Right Thumb
Fourth bar: Right Index
Fifth bar: Right Thumb (same finger as before for the third bar)
Sixth Bar: Right Middle
Seventh Bar: Right Ring
Eighth Bar: Right Middle (same as before)
Ninth Bar: Right Thumb (same as before)
Tenth Bar: Left Thumb (same as before)

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

It's honestly just a case of practicing. I used to think my playstyle would limit me (left hand on 1 & 2, right hand on everything else), and now I'm pretty much breaking right through the 11 wall and even got 78% on A [a] the other day (:argh:). Practice makes perfect and it applies double to music games.

Sometimes I look back at like 2004 when I thought I'd never ever be able to pass 7s and laugh.

Xythar fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 3, 2009

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Empress is confirmed for PS2. Looks to be a 2 disc set, with Empress on one disc, and "Premium Best" on the other.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

DanAdamKOF posted:

Empress is confirmed for PS2. Looks to be a 2 disc set, with Empress on one disc, and "Premium Best" on the other.

180 songs on one disc ?

hope they're regular dvds...

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I believe it is 180 across two discs, so probably 90 each.

I'm a little disappointed with the revival list (far too many songs that have already been revived plenty of times, instead of many good songs that are still exclusive to their original style) but it looks to be pretty impressive all the same.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

post the revival list for those of us who stopped checking bemani sites 10 years ago?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

http://www.konami.jp/products/2dx16_ps2/

That's the stuff for the Empress disc. It hasn't been officially announced what's on Premium Best yet but you can guess from screenshots and the original list of arcade songs that they were collecting data for.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Watch it turn out that all of the revived songs are on Empress's disc...

except for V, which gets its own dual-layer disc of Premium Best all to itself, for maximum sound quality.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

We've now rolled out version 4.1 of Solid State Squad, which means we get a lot of fun features back. Like these.

Plus, you can upload your save files to auto-update your scores and stuff.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Xythar posted:

We've now rolled out version 4.1 of Solid State Squad, which means we get a lot of fun features back. Like these.

Plus, you can upload your save files to auto-update your scores and stuff.

What do you need to upload a save, one of those ARMax things? Because that sounds a lot easier than doing it by hand.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Lynx Winters posted:

What do you need to upload a save, one of those ARMax things? Because that sounds a lot easier than doing it by hand.

You can use an ARMax, XPort, SharkPort or even a PS3 to do it. You'll need a utility like PS2 Save Builder to convert to SharkPort format if you're using anything else, and you'll need PSVExporter if you're using a PS3 (along with the PS2 memory card adapter - you copy off your memory card and then onto a USB stick). You don't need a backwards compatible PS3, any will do.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Lynx Winters posted:

Here's a rough guide.

You'll basically need the following:
-A way of loading burned games (modchip, swapmagic) or ELF files (FreeMCBoot, Independence Exploit, swapmagic coder)
-uLaunchELF for PS2, either as an ELF file you can launch or as a premade CD/DVD image
-USB drive
-A computer running Windows (might work in WINE or something)
-PS2 Save Builder for Windows

If you can load an ELF file directly, do that to load uLaunchELF. Otherwise burn a disc image and load that however you usually load burned games.

Plug your USB drive into your PS2. Use a Dualshock or otherwise "normal" controller for this. Use uLaunchELF to browse to your memory card ("mc0" or "mc1") and locate your save file folders (For example, 7th's folder is called "BISLPM-65593BM2DX7", they have "BM2DX" in them, and the style number, very nifty). Basically, "mark" the save file folders with X, then press R1 to bring up the menu, then choose Copy. Then browse to your USB drive by pressing Triangle (it's called "mass") and paste them in there with R1.

Plug the USB drive in your computer, and load PS2 Save Builder. The easiest way to do this is to open your save folder in Windows Explorer, and drag and drop its contents into the box in the window underneath the "Filename" and "Size" labels. Then, copy the folder's name (BISLPM-65593BM2DX7 or whatever) and paste that over the "NEW_FILE" text, next to "Root/ID". Now, go to File and click Save. Where it says "save as type", choose "Shark-Port 2(*.sps)". I don't think you need to name it the same as the save folder's name, so you can name it something nifty like "7th Style - 07/18/09" or whatever.

Then just open the score uploading tool on SSS and use that file!

It's a lot easier than it sounds, trust me.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Thanks, both of you. I'm going to give uLaunchELF a shot and hopefully I will be uploading my mediocre scores tonight for nobody to marvel at.

EDIT: Well, that was easy.

Lynx Winters fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 19, 2009

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

DanAdamKOF posted:

Here's a rough guide.
-PS2 Save Builder for Windows

Oh, that was the step I was missing. This will make things so much easier for me. Thanks a lot.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Also worth noting, uLaunchELF is pretty nice for backing up your memory card to a flash drive. I do it about every month or so. I haven't lost a save before, but when that suddenly happens, I won't freak out too much.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

helopticor posted:

Oh, that was the step I was missing. This will make things so much easier for me. Thanks a lot.

Of course, I didn't actually do this until now. I was helopticor on SSS, and all of those scores (not that any of them are notable compared to almost anyone in this thread) are from a long time ago. My skills have atrophied, but I hope to get back into the game as helopticor2p.

dirby fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 5, 2009

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

dj SPINME, I like it :)

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

After playing this game for over 5 years, it's nice to accomplish something I thought I'd never ever be able to do.

That's a clear.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Nice 12 clear Xyth!

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
This has probably come up before, but what song does everyone think has the silliest /weirdest video?

For me, "オレはビートマニア..." was a close second, but I have to go with "Spooky":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9mC-8lnii8

From the silly style of the characters to the out place CGI castle, this video has it all.

Rebuttals?

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007
ROTTEL THE MERCURY wins that contest hands down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MIB1uswjZE

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

JimmyBiskit posted:

ROTTEL THE MERCURY...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MIB1uswjZE
They're just cooking some fish and one of the fish happens to be Tran.

Is that really weirder than rottel-da-sun?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlXKUF96Cdo

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
Lion Suki has its moments. ROTTEL-THE-MERCURY was one of my first encounters with IIDX, and I'd have to agree it is weird as gently caress.

There's a lot of stuff that maybe tries to be serious but ends up being silly as gently caress. Those crappy CGI anime racing videos are a good example. (RED ZONE, for example) Schlagwerk is another. It might be a Man'o'war type deal, though - come off as serious as possible to mindfully enhance the fun factor.

SirLarr
Mar 21, 2003

High tech, low class.
Stoic is an old classic, but my favorite is Twelfth Style.

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe
We're seriously having this discussion without mentioning Macho Gang?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PsqRO_zQfM

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

SeedyV posted:

We're seriously having this discussion without mentioning Macho Gang?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PsqRO_zQfM

As painful as it is, I need to crack out my 3rd style. I think we have a winner.

Also, if remywiki is to be believed, I won't even get to see that exact video:

RemyWiki posted:

A visual was changed in the video in AC 3rd style / CS 3rd style. A drawing of a man saluting to his superior was replaced with a drawing of a boiling pot and a woman lifting the top off of it. The same woman also appeared in several videos in AC 3rd style, most notably THE SAFARI and beat machine.

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe
It's also on 9th style if you don't want to downgrade all the way back to 3rd. :)

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

SeedyV posted:

It's also on 9th style if you don't want to downgrade all the way back to 3rd. :)

RemyWiki :argh:

Also, I don't have 9th style.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
Alright guys, I need your help. I came across this video on nico video today and I can't figure out what the last song is. It's killing me.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm3993614

It starts at 19:35. Could very well be a song I just don't know, but it sounds familar. Can anyone identify what it's supposed to be?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Nonbaka posted:

Alright guys, I need your help. I came across this video on nico video today and I can't figure out what the last song is. It's killing me.

It starts at 19:35. Could very well be a song I just don't know, but it sounds familar. Can anyone identify what it's supposed to be?

It's not bemani.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H2QpaHjO-Q#t=0m49s

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
I guess that would explain it. Thank you.

agscala
Jul 12, 2008

Nonbaka posted:

That was awesome

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

glompix posted:

Lion Suki has its moments. ROTTEL-THE-MERCURY was one of my first encounters with IIDX, and I'd have to agree it is weird as gently caress.

There's a lot of stuff that maybe tries to be serious but ends up being silly as gently caress. Those crappy CGI anime racing videos are a good example. (RED ZONE, for example) Schlagwerk is another. It might be a Man'o'war type deal, though - come off as serious as possible to mindfully enhance the fun factor.

All of the anime-style videos are "serious" or whatever you want to call them. The art style has been around since 3rd or 4th style, and back then, it was respectable CGI. I guess it just stuck around. They're usually lumped into the eurobeat songs as a generic video, since eurobeat and racing/drifting go hand in hand. I believe the video for RED ZONE was made as a hail to B4U, which had a similar video way back when.

Schlagwerk is another video that is supposed to be serious, but just ends up being corny Japanese men trying to act out some scenes (DJ TAKA is the guy with the gun, TaQ is the running dectective, forgot who else is in it.)

Lion Suki is just pretty weird. I think it wins. Although that korean song about tissues from 10th style or 11th style is weird beyond weird.

enojy fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 19, 2009

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

All the videos in the latest style (it's not out yet but has been location tested) will be pretty serious, or so I hear.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
I produce infinite faggotry
I don't know the name of the song, but there's a video in 14th GOLD that features the Elebits, and as far as I know, that's a Wii-only title. Curious they would have their own video in a Bemani game.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I tried to play my PC Games For Windows version of Empress but my computer hates it and won't even boot the game. It's a shame because I'd really like to play it, despite not having played IIDX (nor had any interest) in over a year.

hammeredspace posted:

I don't know the name of the song, but there's a video in 14th GOLD that features the Elebits, and as far as I know, that's a Wii-only title. Curious they would have their own video in a Bemani game.

That's the Elebits vocal theme song; keep in mind the game was made by Konami. It's The Smile of You by nekomata master feat. jessy. Nekomata master made the whole soundtrack for Elebits I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grahamtams
May 16, 2005

Graham is Our Man
I put in a few hours today for the first time in a while. My poor little ring fingers are sore on each side :( Got some new AAA's and positive troopers scores though.

I had a chance to play Keyboard Mania and Para Para Paradise for the first time at a recent lock-in. Para para was kinda fun, but Keyboard Mania... omfg so many keys. I thought IIDX was hard enough already.