Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Richard Noggin posted:

It's a top loader.

Your only option is to leave the 18th century.

(Can't remember ever taking one apart, can't help sorry)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007
Anyone know an easy way to find which part of a floor is flat and level without bringing a huge leveler. At my work our concrete flooring is unlevel as gently caress and makes it hard to level the furniture I'm building. I want to be able to find a spot that is level to work on but even the places with no cracks and stuff seem to still not be quite level.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Bag of marbles.

Jewbert Jewstein
Dec 4, 2007

Bring me a hard copy of the Internet so I can do some serious surfing
In the room in my new house, there's a window that faces in to the house which essentially amounts to just a hole in the wall. I want to plug it up in a way that will keep the amount of sound in and out of my room to a minimum.

Will a simple lexan sheet work? I know it's MUCH cheaper than plexiglass...

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Pooperscooper posted:

Anyone know an easy way to find which part of a floor is flat and level without bringing a huge leveler. At my work our concrete flooring is unlevel as gently caress and makes it hard to level the furniture I'm building. I want to be able to find a spot that is level to work on but even the places with no cracks and stuff seem to still not be quite level.

You're doing it the hard way. Drill some holes and screw some insert nuts into the bottoms of the legs with a big hex key, then use elevator bolts.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Jewbert Jewstein posted:

Will a simple lexan sheet work? I know it's MUCH cheaper than plexiglass...
Lexan is CHEAPER than plexiglass? If that's the case where you are, go Lexan. The UV proofing would be a bonus. If you want to go all fancy and try making your own dual pane noise blocking window, use 2 pieces of different thicknesses to dampen sound (Guy was telling me about that when I got new windows on the house.)

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007

kid sinister posted:

You're doing it the hard way. Drill some holes and screw some insert nuts into the bottoms of the legs with a big hex key, then use elevator bolts.

Some our furniture has those and it nice that you can stop them from rocking but I was making a tall dresser a few days ago and the thing had a pretty major rock and I was tempted to loosen everything up while it was standing then tighten it but with how rocky and uneven our floor is I don't know if it would make it worse or not. I can use the levelers on the bottom of the legs but it still shouldn't need to have that much of an adjustment. Maybe I had two bad spots on the floor when I was building and when I put it out for display.

This is like ikea furniture that you put together from instructions and poo poo.

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

Pooperscooper posted:

Some our furniture has those and it nice that you can stop them from rocking but I was making a tall dresser a few days ago and the thing had a pretty major rock and I was tempted to loosen everything up while it was standing then tighten it but with how rocky and uneven our floor is I don't know if it would make it worse or not. I can use the levelers on the bottom of the legs but it still shouldn't need to have that much of an adjustment. Maybe I had two bad spots on the floor when I was building and when I put it out for display.

This is like ikea furniture that you put together from instructions and poo poo.

Why not build a torsion box table or platform and level that? That way you'll always have a level surface to work on.

Jewbert Jewstein
Dec 4, 2007

Fire Storm posted:

Lexan is CHEAPER than plexiglass? If that's the case where you are, go Lexan. The UV proofing would be a bonus. If you want to go all fancy and try making your own dual pane noise blocking window, use 2 pieces of different thicknesses to dampen sound (Guy was telling me about that when I got new windows on the house.)

Upon further research, gently caress Lowes. They're about the same price according to google. Which is better in this case? And for this dual pane thing, do I just put one over the other? There's nothing else to it?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

My apartment's caretaker needs one of her plants identified so that she can figure out if it is an annual or perennial, and whether it needs special care to regrow next year. I figured some gardeners here may be able to help me out. Here's some pictures:

Flowers come out of the middle of the vine or whatever, then die off as the growth continues upwards.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

Jewbert Jewstein posted:

Upon further research, gently caress Lowes. They're about the same price according to google. Which is better in this case? And for this dual pane thing, do I just put one over the other? There's nothing else to it?
Lexan > Plexi, and at the Lowes near me, Lexan is like 6x the price of Plexi.

To do the dual pane thing, it would be a bit of work. Seperate the panes by about a quarter inch, get one piece whatever thickness you want and one piece either half or 2/3 as thick. HOW you make the frame is up to you.

Easiest would be to get quarter/half inch square wood, get the plexi/lexan cut to the size of the hole, and cut the wood so the frame is flush with the lexan, glue/nail and pop it in.

EXAMPLE: If the hole is 16" x 16" and you are using half-inch wood, cut 2 pieces 16" long and 2 pieces 15" long. If you want to be fancy, you can make a doweled butt joint, or nail the corners. Look at a regular double pane window to get a rough idea of what I am talking about.

Slightly more difficult but better method would be to make a wood frame with grooves cut inside that hold the panes in place, which would be a little more like cabinet making.

I know I am explaining this very poorly. If you are interested in this, I can MSPaint something that would at least give better details.

Would this be worth it? Not a clue. Although now I am tempted to do that with the windows in my garage that need replacing.

I am curious... is this in your actual house? There is a hole in the wall and this passed code? Can you give photos?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

kid sinister posted:

That link is nice, but it assumes that all your LEDs will have the same specs...
Anyway, that mA rating is the total for what amount of LEDs is pictured. What I would do plug in at that site an array with your 43 LEDs at 3.1V and get the mA needed for that, then do another one with your 2.3V LEDs on the same power supply voltage and get their mA. Add those two numbers together and that will be the minimum mA that your power supply must put out. Try to get the smallest mA rating over your needs with the proper voltage rating. Running too much amperage through LEDs can cut their lifetimes pretty short.

Bringing this question back up for further discussion. The total ma necessary for my circuit is 320ma. I can find 300ma and 500ma very easily, but I really doubt a 12v 320ma Adapter exists. The adapter assumed 20ma for each LED, though, which I'm not 100% certain is even necessary. Is it save to just get the 300ma?

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!
You want to go for the 500mA one for your 320mA load. As long as the current the adapter can provide is equal to or higher than your load, you will be fine.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Bringing this question back up for further discussion. The total ma necessary for my circuit is 320ma. I can find 300ma and 500ma very easily, but I really doubt a 12v 320ma Adapter exists. The adapter assumed 20ma for each LED, though, which I'm not 100% certain is even necessary. Is it save to just get the 300ma?

No, you'd be running it over its specs which isn't safe and even if it was your LEDs probably wouldn't be as bright. I was able to find a 400mA one:

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=213575&

Here's an inline barrel jack that you can solder all the wiring for the LEDs to, that way you can always easily unplug the power adapter if need be:

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=159506&

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 14, 2009

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
what are you talking about? You could run it with a 12V 500 AMP supply, the LEDs won't care because they won't draw more than their maximum current, which is 320mA.

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007

Mthrboard posted:

Why not build a torsion box table or platform and level that? That way you'll always have a level surface to work on.

Thanks for the idea but that is definitely out of the league for where I work, we don't have the space, money, or time to have something like that.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
nevermind, I figured out I was wrong...

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 15, 2009

Jewbert Jewstein
Dec 4, 2007

Fire Storm posted:

Awesome helpful instructions
It's just like an additional window, but looking in on the stairs instead of the outside. If you really want I can post a picture. Maybe a before/after. I'm definitely going to give the double pane a try though. Thanks!

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
edit: ignore

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

kid sinister posted:

I was talking about running 320mA-worth of LEDs at 300mA like Gorilla Salsa mentioned...

So it's safe to buy a 500mA adapter then?

EDIT:

Mario posted:

You want to go for the 500mA one for your 320mA load. As long as the current the adapter can provide is equal to or higher than your load, you will be fine.

Okay.

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 15, 2009

damnhooligan
Jan 8, 2004

The Bringer of... well, Penultimate Doom!
I'm in the middle of a hideous remodel and I'm not sure what to use for tile backer on the floors. I've hired a tiler to lay down some nice travertine tiles, but he wants us to sort out the underlayment. I've heard great things about Schutler-DITRA and intend to go with that instead of traditional backerboard. Has anyone used this stuff before?

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
This may seem stupid but I have an old shower tub set up with two knobs for the tub and two for the shower (basically hot and cold for each). The valves are the old style valves that stick out like 3 inches with square ends. I cannot find replacement handles for these. Anyone have a good source? I tried tons of online places. Home Depot, etc. Everyone suggests I replace the valves but that would involve opening the wall which is not an option (or one I want to entertain).

Please help! Showering with a wrench sucks!

Haikeeba!
Jan 15, 2007

Thank you Mrs Peel, the money is on the dresser.

Bedevere posted:

This may seem stupid but I have an old shower tub set up with two knobs for the tub and two for the shower (basically hot and cold for each). The valves are the old style valves that stick out like 3 inches with square ends. I cannot find replacement handles for these. Anyone have a good source? I tried tons of online places. Home Depot, etc. Everyone suggests I replace the valves but that would involve opening the wall which is not an option (or one I want to entertain).

Please help! Showering with a wrench sucks!

I'm in Australia, but I know the ones you mean. A lot of the older style fittings have been discontinued. If you are lucky you can sometimes find handles at big hardware stores. You have two options if you can't find handles to fit the old style.

one) replace the spindles. You say this involves opening the wall, but shouldn't really. You should be able to get a tube spanner that will fit over the spindle, and unscrew the assembly (remembering of course to turn off the water and empty the pipes first). Then it is just a matter of putting new spindles in, which will of course have the new standardised ends and take any range of handles.

two) get a conversion kit. These are kits which generally contain a variety of little plastic nubbins that fit on the end of your spindle to convert them for use with new tap handles.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I was hoping to avoid removing the spindles. Last time I tried that i messed up the whole faucet.

I didn't know about the adapters. That's a great idea.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
option 3: get universal handles. These are basically handles with 3 set screws around the outside and are designed to grab onto any size or shape of valve stem.

Haikeeba!
Jan 15, 2007

Thank you Mrs Peel, the money is on the dresser.

kid sinister posted:

option 3: get universal handles. These are basically handles with 3 set screws around the outside and are designed to grab onto any size or shape of valve stem.

Ahh, good point, I forgot about those. The only problem I've found with those is it's very easy to strip the threads on the grub screws, so make sure you don't crossthread them.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I need some drywall advice.

I'm refinishing my family room, which was previously covered in hideous and shoddy wood paneling, and the plan is to drywall the whole thing. Most of the walls are framed, but the lower portion of two of the exterior walls is the above ground foundation. Is it necessary to build frames before installing drywall (which would cause the lower half of the wall to jut into the room by an absurd amount), or can the sheets be attached directly to the cement? If the issue is just the drywall making contact with the cement, would it be sufficient to use thin furring strips for separation?

Thanks. :)

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

I need some drywall advice.

I'm refinishing my family room, which was previously covered in hideous and shoddy wood paneling, and the plan is to drywall the whole thing. Most of the walls are framed, but the lower portion of two of the exterior walls is the above ground foundation. Is it necessary to build frames before installing drywall (which would cause the lower half of the wall to jut into the room by an absurd amount), or can the sheets be attached directly to the cement? If the issue is just the drywall making contact with the cement, would it be sufficient to use thin furring strips for separation?

Thanks. :)

Wait a minute, the previous owner just put wood paneling directly against your concrete foundation without even a moisture barrier? That's a bad idea... Put up a moisture barrier first!

Yes, you would need frame out those concrete walls, for a couple reasons. The first you mentioned: you need something to attach the drywall to. The second is that concrete isn't a great insulator. For living space you will definitely want to put some insulation against that exterior wall. How much insulation you need depends on where your house is located. How thick your studs need to be depends on how thick your insulation that you'll need has to be.

Use pressure treated lumber for the bottom plate since it will wick moisture. If budget allows, use it for all the framing. Use shims behind the studs to bring them all to a level surface if necessary.

Risible
Jun 1, 2009
Can anyone tell me the best way to clean this abominable thing?
[img]http://img.waffleimages.com/0b47a47eff58bba1d4f8009b88ec7f66c1906cd2/082309_1848[00].jpg[/img][img]http://img.waffleimages.com/c7cd64296e0ecbd5925c74367ca88b3305c21118/082309_1850[00].jpg[/img]

Sorry for the piss poor pictures, but I'm out of a digital camera at the moment.

I don't think this window unit has ever been cleaned, and I haven't been able to find any thing resembling a model number to look up a manual or user guide so I have no idea how to take it a part to get inside of it to clean it. Short of breaking it open, I don't know what to do. I've sprayed mildew remover inside of it and wiped off what I could, but I don't have a way of scrubbing the inside.

I recently moved in to a house that wasn't cared for at all by the previous tenants, and the land lord had it vacuumed and repainted, but that's about it. I've already gotten sick within two weeks of moving in and I'm going to blame this thing.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
That front cover should come off fairly easy, so that's what I would do. Take it apart and use a vacuum for most of it and toothbrush/pipe cleaners for the harder bits.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
I'm looking to install a shower door. I've gotten everything I need and here is what I've gathered.

Step one: Measure the width of the bath tub and cut the top and bottom of the frame to fit.

Step two: Install the sides. Using a level put the sides on. Use a pencil to mark the holes then drill a pilot and put the side on using plastic hollow wall anchors.

Step three: Put the bottom and top in. They seem to just go right on.

Step four: Caulk all joints. I'm very uneasy about this part since I've never caulked anything before. I am going to put down painter's tape around everything I caulk to be safe. I'm going to apply a bead then go back over and smooth it out with a plastic tool that I bought. Then instantly pull the tape up when I finish each joint.

Does this sound right? Is there anything else I need to know? I'm kind of nervous but I'm still eager to start this.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Looking to buy a dremel (rotary tool, whatever you call them these days) soonish, and I'm after model/make suggestions. I'm going to be using it mainly for computer case modding, but it could see some wood work in the future (which would actually just be a wood case.. I see a trend.)

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 24, 2009

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gibbo posted:

Looking to buy a dremel (rotary tool, whatever you call them these days) soonish, and I'm after model/make suggestions. I'm going to be using it mainly for computer case modding, but it could see some wood work in the future (which would actually just be a wood case.. I see a trend.)

SPend the money up front to get a high-end model. Mine is one-speed, basic, and I am wishing I spent the extra $20-25 to get the variable speed one. No particular reason, it's just I can see where sometimes it would be better to have a choice.

Dremels are really handy, and the low-power aspect is a plus, because there's a limit to how much damage you can accidentally do when you screw-up and hit your hand, or forearm, or leg, or whatever. You never get too hurt, and I am a lot more comfortable letting my kids use it (with supervision) when they want to do stuff. Wear eye protection, though. When cutting metal, it throws off these tiny sparks that you don't see...

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
More dangerous is the cut off wheel exploding. On a larger scale, I had an angle grinder blade break up and the disc wizzed past my ear.

GIS angle grinder injury if you want to see what can happen when one the disc lets go. Dremel tool discs can do this too, just on a smaller scale. Still enough to take out your eye.

FamousThomas
Jul 16, 2006

Hey, Fry. Wake up, it's me, BIGFACE!
You guys were so darn helpful before I'll ask another question!

I'd like to do some drilling into metal but my little hand held drill doesn't seem to cut it. Do I need a special drill bit or is there a technique or some kind of god I need to make a blood sacrifice to?

When I try it just sort of spins and doesn't go anywhere.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

FamousThomas posted:

I'd like to do some drilling into metal but my little hand held drill doesn't seem to cut it. Do I need a special drill bit or is there a technique or some kind of god I need to make a blood sacrifice to?

Your standard twist drill bit will work, but I'm betting you've got one made of a cheap metal. Get yourself a cobalt bit and it'll burn right through your metal. (Assuming of course you're not drilling into a steel beam or anything.)

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

FamousThomas posted:

Jake is right, get a cobalt steel bit. The bit you have is most likely high speed steel (HSS), which dulls quickly when used to drill steel. Cobalt bits are pretty pricey, but you should only need to buy one and not a complete set.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

FamousThomas posted:

Even with your somewhat dull HSS bit and especially with a new bit, a bit of cutting fluid goes a long way at prolonging bit life. Effective cutting fluids are: cutting oil, household oil (3-in-1), distilled water. Not effective cutting fluids are: used motor oil, WD-40, Dr. Pepper.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Hello!

I am trying to hook up these lightboxes I got a hold of from a recently closed cinema, All I got was the cable-snipped boxes so I need to re-do the wiring.

Click here for the full 800x1067 image.

These are the bases of the cords currently snipped and fitted into the lightbox.

I thought it'd be a matter of matching the colors of the new power cable I would get later, however upon returning home I noticed the wire colors are different between the cables:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

(note that is a green with yellow stripe cable)

This is the type of cable I hope to attach. They are New Zealand power cables/supplies so the details may be different from those in the States or elsewhere. I've tried searching for a sort of conversion chart between the common wire colors but to no avail.

If somebody could help me out with this I would be very appreciative. How should I go about rewiring this thing?

Here's an image of the ballast if that helps:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naxr
Oct 28, 2007

spanky the dolphin posted:

Hello!

I am trying to hook up these lightboxes I got a hold of from a recently closed cinema, All I got was the cable-snipped boxes so I need to re-do the wiring.

Click here for the full 800x1067 image.

These are the bases of the cords currently snipped and fitted into the lightbox.

I thought it'd be a matter of matching the colors of the new power cable I would get later, however upon returning home I noticed the wire colors are different between the cables:

(note that is a green with yellow stripe cable)

This is the type of cable I hope to attach. They are New Zealand power cables/supplies so the details may be different from those in the States or elsewhere. I've tried searching for a sort of conversion chart between the common wire colors but to no avail.

If somebody could help me out with this I would be very appreciative. How should I go about rewiring this thing?

Here's an image of the ballast if that helps:

Green/Yellow = Earth
Blue = Neutral
Brown = Live

And I'd assume that Green = Earth, Red = Live, Black = Neutral, unless they've been wired up by an idiot.