Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Looks like we're getting an actual good game tomorrow: Ground Control II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
:argh: argh i just spent $20 yesterday argh :argh:

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Promo: buy all of Enlight's catalogue (Capitalism Plus, Capitalism 2, Seven Kingdoms: Ancient Adversaries, Seven Kingdoms 2: The Fryhtan Wars and Warlords Battlecry 3) at the same time for $25 (a saving of $12.95), or if you already have some of their games, you can get 30% discounts on the ones you don't have.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Since the exe is modified would I not be able to use mods with something like Fallout 2?

edit: never mind, I thought there was a widescreen mod for the original Fallouts but I ugess not

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

grafey-kun posted:

Since the exe is modified would I not be able to use mods with something like Fallout 2?

edit: never mind, I thought there was a widescreen mod for the original Fallouts but I ugess not
The .exe is modified?

The game is patched, but there isn't any DRM on GoG. The forums have mods for all three original fallouts (FO1, 2 and Tactics)

unruly fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 6, 2009

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

unruly posted:

The .exe is modified?

The game is patched, but there isn't any DRM on GoG. The forums have mods for all three original fallouts (FO1, 2 and Tactics)
  • http://www.gog.com/en/forum/Fallout_Series/fallout_mods
  • http://www.gog.com/en/forum/Fallout_Series/fallout_2_mods
  • http://www.gog.com/en/forum/Fallout_Series/fallout_tactics_mods

Oh I thought it was because I thought they would've had to mess around with it to get rid of DRM and such

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Charles Martel posted:

Meh, I always prefered the originial. I really disliked how throwaway your units was in GC2 compared to GC, where your veteran units were invaluable in the later stages of the campaign.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Sylphosaurus posted:

Meh, I always prefered the originial. I really disliked how throwaway your units was in GC2 compared to GC, where your veteran units were invaluable in the later stages of the campaign.

I thought they were both good. And for anyone who likes RTS games, especially you fellow World in Conflict fans, give Ground Control a shot.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
Iron Storm is a pretty fun game. And the closest thing we have to a WW1 trench warfare FPS.

Buffalo
Dec 4, 2008

Charles Martel posted:

Just bought this! Also picked up GC1 which comes with GC: Dark Conspiracy and is apparently next to impossible to get anywhere else nowadays

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
I bought all the Descent games and fixed it up so my xbox 360 controller works with it and i'm in heaven. Just like when I was growing up back in the day. Thank god for DX rebirth too. GoG owns.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

I thought they were both good. And for anyone who likes RTS games, especially you fellow World in Conflict fans, give Ground Control a shot.

Ground Control 2 is a fantastic game.

The graphics especially the environmental effects and level backdrops are still stunning too.

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
I have a question that their website wasn't able to answer.

Once I download a game, can I copy the setup file to an offline computer, install and play? Or does it require online activation?

Edit: found the answer in the OP, no online activation BS. Fallout 2, here I come.

MachinTrucChose fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 10, 2009

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

MachinTrucChose posted:

I have a question that their website wasn't able to answer.

Once I download a game, can I copy the setup file to an offline computer, install and play? Or does it require online activation?

Edit: found the answer in the OP, no online activation BS. Fallout 2, here I come.

DRM free means you don't have to activate.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just bought TM: Overseer, a game I completely missed when it was released, and it works perfectly. Love this website!

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.

etalian posted:

Ground Control 2 is a fantastic game.

The graphics especially the environmental effects and level backdrops are still stunning too.

Does it have destructible environments? Like blowing up walls and making real craters and stuff?

THIS IS VERY loving IMPORTANT IN DETERMINING WHETHER OR NOT I SPEND 6 DOLLARS.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Serious Michael posted:

Does it have destructible environments? Like blowing up walls and making real craters and stuff?

THIS IS VERY loving IMPORTANT IN DETERMINING WHETHER OR NOT I SPEND 6 DOLLARS.

No buy Men of War if you are obsessed with these things.

Still has a amazing amount of explosions especially for the arty units.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Charles Martel posted:

I'm not big on RTS, and I was under the impression that Ground Control was more like Dawn of War 2 in that you had a bunch of units, and good luck with that. None of this base building, resource collecting malarky that I don't care for.

To be completely selfish, I patiently await the GOG guys to stop pushing out Adventure and RTS games that I don't care to play and get back into Action and RPG games. I need to further increase my back catalogue of games to play, please. I have no desire to own boxed copies of games like Forsaken or Archangel and would love to be able to pick up $6 GOG versions of them.

Edit : It's just occured to me that saying RTS doesn't automatically have to mean base building and resource collecting. As in, you know, Dawn of War 2.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 11, 2009

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

markgreyam posted:

I'm not big on RTS, and I was under the impression that Ground Control was more like Dawn of War 2 in that you had a bunch of units, and good luck with that. None of this base building, resource collecting malarky that I don't care for.

Ground Control is more like Myth than anything else due to not being able to replace lost units in missions plus the fun of watching units carry over from missions.

Ground Control 2 is basically a Sci-fi World in Conflict with zero base building and a similar resource system/re-supply method.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

markgreyam posted:

Edit : It's just occured to me that saying RTS doesn't automatically have to mean base building and resource collecting. As in, you know, Dawn of War 2.

This type of game is generally referred to as real-time tactics.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Gremlin's VR Soccer was just released, highly questionable choice.

Smegma Enigma
Mar 7, 2006

[T-2:25] Overwhelming sense of well-being and euphoria
Thanks to this thread I am installing Gothic 2, it looks pretty awesome. This thread also made me remember playing old Krondor games. What I wouldn't give to play Return to Krondor again...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Smegma Enigma posted:

Thanks to this thread I am installing Gothic 2, it looks pretty awesome. This thread also made me remember playing old Krondor games. What I wouldn't give to play Return to Krondor again...

Just don't give up - the game is brutal. I beat Gothic 1 and 2 but then got my rear end kicked in Gothic 2 Gold.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Are the controls in Gothic 2 as bad as the original? I'm up to the first town in Gothic and I'm already about to give it up because I can't stand the interface/controls.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

royallthefourth posted:

Are the controls in Gothic 2 as bad as the original? I'm up to the first town in Gothic and I'm already about to give it up because I can't stand the interface/controls.

You'll get used to them. I actually changed the controls in Gothic 2 to match Gothic 1 because of how much I played the first game. It became second nature.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

royallthefourth posted:

Much MUCH better, but still not sterling. Apparently they took so much flack for the lovely controls from G1 that they had to basically scratch and restart the way they thought. It is better, in my opinion.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Smegma Enigma posted:

Gothic 2/1 are really great games.

They have a good number of flaws like a clunky interface and bad animations but still are great games due to things like the dense fun to explore areas.

Also can't think of any other games where the NPCs piss in the streets after drinking too much.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

NPCs piss in the streets after drinking too much.

Holy poo poo I am not giving up on Gothic if it really has this much character

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

royallthefourth posted:

Holy poo poo I am not giving up on Gothic if it really has this much character

Just don't forget that the game will piss in your face if you poke your nose in the wrong places at the wrong times.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
New content for Earthworm Jim 1+2, Giants, and wallpapers for Gorky 17 and Spellforce.

quote:

New releases on GOG.com is something we're all waiting for, but we don't forget about already released titles. Here's another pack of additional content.

Our product team deserves thunderous applause as they have managed to get another batch of cool additional stuff to games that are already available on GOG.com. This time we have the original game manual and artworks from Earthworm Jim 1+2 (thanks to Lemm from RocketWorm), soundtrack for Giants: Citizen Kabuto and some nice wallpapers for Gorky 17 and Spellforce Platinum. The additional materials are available, after you purchase the games, on the “My Account” page.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Goddamnit GOG, start releasing some more RPG's and adventure games already.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

royallthefourth posted:

The controls in Gothic are actually the first boss of the game.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Charles Martel posted:

New content for Earthworm Jim 1+2

The collection of old design artwork, particularly the multiple pages stipulating the specifics of Jim's character model, and the scrapped/changed level designs, is fascinating to me.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 13, 2009

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
They added Lords of the Realm 3 today.

Gamespot is the only site that gave it a more than mediocre review (above 8 actually?!). Usually my tastes are pretty GS conform, but this seems kindof weird.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Overwined posted:

Just don't forget that the game will piss in your face if you poke your nose in the wrong places at the wrong times.

Still a more compelling way to do things than Oblivion level scaling.

Of course it leads to Baldur's Gate 2-esque moments when you explore a random cave or tomb and get quickly killed by a powerful monster in a few seconds.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

etalian posted:

Still a more compelling way to do things than Oblivion level scaling.

Of course it leads to Baldur's Gate 2-esque moments when you explore a random cave or tomb and get quickly killed by a powerful monster in a few seconds.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I wasn't talking about its almost total lack of forgiveness as a bad thing. In fact, you eventually get strong enough to dominate those things that have dominated you in the past. And it feels oh so good.

Not to mention being fearful of a creature or area adds immersion. I remember when I first played G1 everyone in town kept urging I go to the mines. But I had peered down the road that led to the mine many times and it was dark and creepy and I saw creatures lurking around that I had not faced yet. So, I bit the bullet one day and loving sprinted down that road, refusing to even look left or right. Sure enough things were chasing me.

I did finally make it to the mines only to get totally owned by some mysterious creature when I ventured too deep. The whole plot is trying to warn you that the world you live in is ruthless and dangerous. While many games try to convey this to the player, they rarely deliver. In both the Gothics the world you play in is the world it claims to be--loving heartless.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

quote:

Not to mention being fearful of a creature or area adds immersion. I remember when I first played G1 everyone in town kept urging I go to the mines. But I had peered down the road that led to the mine many times and it was dark and creepy and I saw creatures lurking around that I had not faced yet. So, I bit the bullet one day and loving sprinted down that road, refusing to even look left or right. Sure enough things were chasing me.

gently caress. Those. Dinosaurs.

Even the naked mole rats at level 1 whipped my rear end. I remember running long and hard to escape those raptor things and they chased you for miles. I remember jumping off a cliff to escape one (on my way to that beached ship or something) and almost 10 minutes later the monster was waiting for me around the corner. Turns out it walked around the cliff and its path finding led right next to me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Raptors are tough, but there isn't a better feeling than destroying a group of them late in the game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The greatest feeling in Gothic was being teleported into that castle and subsequently slaughtering everyone leading up to a massive fight with Raven inside the chapel (I was playing as a wizard so I don't know if this was for everyone). I was practically untouchable. I don't remember why story reason I had to kill everyone but it was the crowning achievement of the game.

Then I was sad to find out that rear end in a top hat Raven was retconned into the sequel. This is my only gripe with free form games. I WANT MY ENDING TO BE CANON, DAMMIT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Gothic 1 is really awesome, yet after I played Morrowind, it wasn't "open" enough for me anymore. I finished G1, got Morrowind right after and never went back (even though some of my friends urged me to try G2 and 3).