Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er

Mr. Deathy posted:

So yeah I think the ending could be 15-20 years away.

Kill myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Mr. Deathy posted:

Like it's pretty obvious he's never gonna start another huge epic and try to "outdo" Berserk.

So yeah I think the ending could be 15-20 years away.

Please shut up and die. No offense or anything.

Man, in 10 years I'll be nitpicking story elements just so I can make myself believe it isn't worth it so I can stop wishing for more.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
In 10 years time you'll be looking at an 8 page, gatefold spread of Griffith v. Gutts. Every page, of every chapter. I wanted to make a joke out of that, but now that I think about it - given that the story will have advanced a good bit by then (please god), that'll actually be pretty loving awesome.

At least it's something to look forward to.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Wow, I didn't realise this manga has been going for 20 loving years.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

JerseyMonkey posted:

Wow, I didn't realise this manga has been going for 20 loving years.
The pilot/concept story was what was published in 1988. Berserk as we know it started in 1990, when the first tankoban was released. Even then Berserk wasn't actually serialized until 1992.

Tapela
Dec 7, 2006
So did anyone hear about the screens going around of a possible new Berserk animation? I'm not sure what it is but I've uploaded some of the stills I saw in other forums. I've been a berserk fan for quite a few years, probably since the original anime. This has taken me to all kinds of fansites from skullknight to places like shadow over midland. As you can imagine I'm extremely excited to see these pictures

rest below..

https://wi.somethingawful.com/fd/fdc97d0c2b4c1643a9501cfded7962dbc2816ed3.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/96/96f61a278675e91f30b0fbe92ba410591ae37e15.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/e4/e4ca52ca91dc915b17efb242bd1e779f4db952c5.jpg

Tapela fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 14, 2009

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.

Tapela posted:

So did anyone hear about the screens going around of a possible new Berserk animation? I'm not sure what it is but I've uploaded some of the stills I saw in other forums. I've been a berserk fan for quite a few years, probably since the original anime. This has taken me to all kinds of fansites from skullknight to places like shadow over midland. As you can imagine I'm extremely excited to see these pictures

rest below..

I hope this is true because we all know it'll never catch up with the manga if they match pacing. How would you like to wait for a year for the next new episode? :v:

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

Tapela posted:

rest below..

These are quite awesome, do the rumours say if it is going to be a reboot or continuation of the series?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

I am Communist posted:

These are quite awesome, do the rumours say if it is going to be a reboot or continuation of the series?

Considering the presence of Puck, my money would be on a reboot.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Although it'd be a bit anticlimactic, I think that the whole Ganishaka-Tree Fantasy World Melding would be a great spot to end it.

Though if they do make a second series, I really hope they animate the escape from the Eclipse, because that (and the sequence directly after that where Guts declares war on the supernatural and gets equipped with his gear) is my favorite part about that section of the story.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

Though if they do make a second series, I really hope they animate the escape from the Eclipse, because that (and the sequence directly after that where Guts declares war on the supernatural and gets equipped with his gear) is my favorite part about that section of the story.

I'd like to agree with you, since conceptually it's great; demons spilling over into the world, the last straggling survivors trying to get away... But it really could do with a bit less rape.

And by "a bit less" I mean "drat it Miura why do you constantly make me ashamed to like something which is otherwise awesome."

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'd like to agree with you, since conceptually it's great; demons spilling over into the world, the last straggling survivors trying to get away... But it really could do with a bit less rape.

And by "a bit less" I mean "drat it Miura why do you constantly make me ashamed to like something which is otherwise awesome."

It's supposed to piss you off. It's not fetishized.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Zorak posted:

22+ pages of raping Casca was fairly creepy. Though I suppose I found it angering as well.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

TooManyUzukis posted:

22+ pages of raping Casca was fairly creepy. Though I suppose I found it angering as well.

Yes and at no point was it made out to be anything positive or actually sexual. Your reaction is supposed to be Guts'. Miura crafted Berserk to really make you hate Griffith and feel the same emotions Guts do.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Zorak posted:

Yes and at no point was it made out to be anything positive or actually sexual. Your reaction is supposed to be Guts'. Miura crafted Berserk to really make you hate Griffith and feel the same emotions Guts do.

This is a good point. He is going totally loving insane, and after all that character buildup it's hard not to as well.

With the sheer amount of disturbing sexuality in Berserk, it's hard not to doubt every once in a while. However, I just reread the series, and god drat is that particular part disturbing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Zorak posted:

Most of the time, I agree. But the trolls and the tentacle rape bit in the post-Eclipse chapters serve no purpose for the plot; they're played up a lot more explicitly than the character backstory stuff or the events during the Eclipse itself, and they happen to a) no-name, throwaway characters and b) the already completely traumatized Casca.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Most of the time, I agree. But the trolls and the tentacle rape bit in the post-Eclipse chapters serve no purpose for the plot; they're played up a lot more explicitly than the character backstory stuff or the events during the Eclipse itself, and they happen to a) no-name, throwaway characters and b) the already completely traumatized Casca.

Yes, that's why there was murder, men/ boys getting raped right, because it's intended to be sexual? No. It's more demonizing of the entire concept of the fantasy things; when people think of fantasy, they often think of fanciful things; people in the world of Berserk dream of realms of mystery and of fate and angels and of the strange things in the dark. The strange things in the dark, their god, their angels, however, are beastial, they are horrors created from human karma; they are the darkness in the human soul given form, and they care not but to appease their base needs.

The trolls thing wasn't in your face either and it wasn't extended; it was "here and trolls OH GOD WHAT ARE THEY DOING oh no they're trying to take Caska and Farnese oh hey Guts is here HES PISSED it's a sword wreck". It's gross and disgusting, but that's the POINT.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Zorak posted:

Yes, that's why there was murder, men/ boys getting raped right, because it's intended to be sexual? No.

I disagree, I think the way it's presented in the art in places really does cross the line into the fetishistic. Maybe it's hypocritical or prudish of me to draw that line in one place and not another, but I can get through episode 25 of the anime or the equivalent scene in the manga and accept that it's entirely intended to be horrific, while, for example, page 44 of volume 13 makes me feel like I'd be uncomfortable meeting the guy who drew the art.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I disagree, I think the way it's presented in the art in places really does cross the line into the fetishistic. Maybe it's hypocritical or prudish of me to draw that line in one place and not another, but I can get through episode 25 of the anime or the equivalent scene in the manga and accept that it's entirely intended to be horrific, while, for example, page 44 of volume 13 makes me feel like I'd be uncomfortable meeting the guy who drew the art.

Fetishistic intended stuff usually means "multiple angles, repeatedly, focus on stuff". The acts themselves, appearing a few times, doesn't make it fetishistic.

If 50% of a chapter was in your face tentacle rape, yes, that would be fetishistic. Berserk isn't like that.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
Berserk is explicit, but it's not fetishistic. The intention is not sexual arousal.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Considering the presence of Puck, my money would be on a reboot.

It would be easy to introduce him, considering the anime only had about one episode where he should have been in it.

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Aug 14, 2009

Tapela
Dec 7, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

It would be easy to introduce him, considering the anime only had about one episode where he should have been in it.

How do you explain Zodd and Gutts pictures though? Though I suppose it could be a flash back. However both of those scenes happened in the golden era arc.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I'd rather it be a DVD only release like Hellsing Ultimate, but if there's a new anime, awesome. A reboot from the beginning would be cool, but so would a continuation. It's probably just cutscenes from a new Berserk game though, which is only cool if it's released over here in the West. Or if Gamefly starts doing imports, since PS3s are region free.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
If something like the hellsing OVAs were done, then that would be incredible.

btw, what happened to the hellsing thread?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

ANIME AKBAR posted:

btw, what happened to the hellsing thread?

It was killed by there not being an OVA for years a couple OVAs back.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't know, as incredible as Hellsing Ultimate is most of the time, the whole "years/months between releases" is kind of daunting. Plus, if it does go to the trouble of redoing the Band of the Hawk era chapters, that means we'd have about 14 volumes of jack squat before we got to the new hotness...

...nnngh, but I can't deny my desire to want to see that stuff re-animated...the original anime is old as hell, not to mention all the stuff it cuts out....decisions, decisions.....

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Tapela posted:

How do you explain Zodd and Gutts pictures though? Though I suppose it could be a flash back. However both of those scenes happened in the golden era arc.

Gutts to me seems in his regular black armor, but if not it could just be a flashback, I don't see why they would remake the Golden Age arc, even though it's the best, when they have material enough for another season of 26 eps.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I guess in the event a new series ever remade the Golden age arc, it'd be so they could add in the stuff the old series left out, such as Skull Knight, puck and the Wyald or whatever you call him fight.

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

Tapela posted:

rest below..

I hope its not just an animated intro for a new game or something. This would be amazing.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Gwynne posted:

I hope its not just an animated intro for a new game or something. This would be amazing.

That's what I'm kinda thinking it is. I mean, look at this image:

It really looks like 3D cel-shaded graphics to me. The other couple look animated, but that one just looks different.

Actually, looking at it again, the foreground looks like 3D cel-shaded graphics while the background looks 2D. I have no idea.

bjobjoli
Feb 21, 2006
Wrasslin'

Tapela posted:

rest below..

My brain may be playing tricks on me, but I swear I've seen that picture of puck before as fan art somewhere.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

OnimaruXLR posted:

I don't know, as incredible as Hellsing Ultimate is most of the time, the whole "years/months between releases" is kind of daunting.
I get turned off by the bad pacing and that the soundtrack isn't as badass as the original.

But it would be interesting to see the series with CG effects. The DC of Aeon Flux shows how awesome modern techniques can breath lots more atmosphere into a surreal series.

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

That's what I'm kinda thinking it is. I mean, look at this image:

It really looks like 3D cel-shaded graphics to me. The other couple look animated, but that one just looks different.

Actually, looking at it again, the foreground looks like 3D cel-shaded graphics while the background looks 2D. I have no idea.

What, cel-shaded and stiff (but functional) like the sequences in FFT on the PSP? The Gungrave games too.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
It looks like those images were taken of a TV showing them off. On a few of them you can see some blue LED thing. I'd probably say it's a video game trailer.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

If a new series was genuinely in the works and into production enough to show off, we would know about it from official statements.

Mr. Deathy fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 17, 2009

hog wizard
Feb 16, 2005

by angerbeet
Caska looks batshit insane in that pic.

Also, referring to this, what chapter is this from?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

hog wizard posted:

Also, referring to this, what chapter is this from?

Not sure which chapter, but he's from the second-latest volume, IIRC.

He's the archer guy who shoots five arrows at a time during the attack on the Kushan army at the port city.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.
Just read 306. Holy poo poo, it's like Biomega, just with less motorcycles.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

hog wizard posted:

That's the point?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The next release is a 20th anniversary edition of some sorts. More info on the contents apparently will be available on Younganimal's website on the 18th of this month.

Maybe it's news that he'll have a consistent schedule. :jerkbag:

Edit: Picture added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
since 1989 til the end of time