Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just got persona 3:fes after playing Persona 4. Any points I should watch out for? Also, when do I get my Persona Compendium (And hence, should start fusing Persona)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

wdarkk posted:

Tales of Symphonia:
The stuff you can customize is usually better than what you can buy.

Never sell weapons or armor.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

ConanThe3rd posted:

Just got persona 3:fes after playing Persona 4. Any points I should watch out for? Also, when do I get my Persona Compendium (And hence, should start fusing Persona)?

There's nothing wrong with fusing before you get the compendium, the first persona's you get are pretty terrible. I don't think you have to wait too long to get it.

Do every single one of Elizabeth's quests as soon as they become available, especially the ones with a time limit. Not only are the rewards pretty handy, but in general, being able to fulfill all of the timed requests is a good sign that you're making good progress in the game and don't have to grind for the bosses. You should be able to get as high up in Tartarus as possible before each full moon.

Also, in P3, unlike 4, an enemy uses up a turn to stand up, so make sure to implement that in some of your strategies. A lot of bosses in the game become much easier when you have the ability to make sure that they never get off an attack.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Cliff posted:

Never sell weapons or armor.

Whoops, forgot to mention that!

A few things concerning new game + in ToS too:
If you inherit map data, you can ride Noishe everywhere you unlocked him (this is really easy to do with the Rheards). This makes the game go a lot faster.
Inherit Expheres lets you keep the EXGem Max from the final boss.
Inherit Titles lets you keep costumes.

One non-endgame related trick: You can steal from the Fake if you have an elemental weapon on Colette, OR use a T-Seal or S-Seal on her.

Salt Block Party
Jan 1, 2005

by Fistgrrl

ConanThe3rd posted:

Though the battle systems are similar on the surface, P3 battles revolve around using elemental weaknesses on enemies, all-out attacks, and making enemies lose their turn by knocking them down to a much larger degree than in P4. You have much more SP available than in P4 so it's more effective to just use every character as a mage at least until you get some of the special fusion weapons. Physical damage kind of sucks. Note that the all-target spells work differently than in P4 for knocking poo poo down.

Also you can't control your characters but you can modify their AI. It can be really clunky, especially if you want other people to heal, so keeping the MC as the healer can be useful. But for most characters you can put them on "full offense" (use their strongest spell every turn regardless of the circumstances) or "knock down enemies" (use elemental weaknesses, do nothing if the enemy is down) and they'll be fine. "Act freely" leads to characters using useless status spells sometimes but requires less micromanagement as they generally know what needs to be done.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I should say that the Doublejump guide for Persona 4 has a significant amount of mistakes, but even so I highly recommend it if only because it makes your life a lot easier in terms of finding the right dialog options for stat boosts or getting enemy weaknesses. In other words, it has the majority of the data tables you would want for this sort of game. Some of the advice I give you will be echoed in the guide, mostly the first few points.

That said, some advice for Persona 4 for anyone who still hasn't played it, as I'm finishing it up now myself:

- With the exception of Death, always take a Persona of the matching arcana with you when you do a Social Link with someone. You'll know you have one if the game says, "Since you have ___, a persona of the ____ arcana, you might get along with this person." There's an entrance to the Velvet Room in town so you can always do this. However, at night there is way into the Velvet Room, so always make sure you've got what you need for any S-Link you might do that night. As a side note, the persona does not need to be equipped, just in your party.

- If you're worried about which Arcanas to concentrate on maxing, it goes without saying that you'll want to max your teammates, or at least the ones you want to use. It's easy to max all of them though. Rise is probably the least valuable of them to max as far as her performance goes, since all she gains is the ability to tell you weaknesses. I didn't bother with the Hanged Man or Moon Arcanas and didn't really regret it, but if the characters associated with them interest you, then you should do them. It's just that I've been told their Personas aren't very useful.

- You will need 5 Expression and 5 Understanding (i.e. max in both of these categories) to finish the Justice and Hierophant S-Links. Also, you will need 5 Understanding to even get access to the Tower link (Through the tutoring job). Definitely, DEFINITELY get that Understanding. The Tower arcana has arguably one of the most broken Personas in the game, and a few other very good ones. You can easily raise Expression through the Sun S-Link (Drama/Music club) and you'll get Understanding from Temperance (Daycare job). Note that these still may not be enough to max them, so read lots of books. I'm told the Music Club offers better stat boosts if you say the right things, but I maxed both pretty comfortably with Drama.

- You need Diligence to unlock the Janitor part time job which gives the Devil social link (In turn unlocks Death arcana), and you can get Diligence from the Strength arcana.

- On rainy days, go to Aiya Chinese Diner and take on the Beef Bowl Challenge. This gives an increase to multiple stats at once.

- It is entirely possible to finish the dungeons in one day each. Don't stress about doing it, but if you think you can make your way through the dungeon and beat the boss in one day then don't hesitate to do so. Rainy days are good for spending in dungeons, as well, as you can fight enemies that drop materials for really strong equipment. It's not a big deal if you don't get these drops in every dungeon, but it's worth it to run through a dungeon on a rainy day if you have the time to spare. If you're really intent on maxing Expression and Understanding quickly, you can safely go without spelunking on rainy days. It's really not a big deal.

- Keep incrementally raising your Knowledge. It's not a priority, but try to score at least in the top ten on every set of exams as this will significantly boost all of your S-Links. For getting the number one score you'll get an item from Nanako, but there's only one of them that you actually need. This is the reward for the July exams and gives +5 to all stats. You'll need, I believe, 4 Knowledge to get it and all of the questions right. It's not hard to do, just make sure you take advantage of when your teammates ask for a group study session, as you'll increase both knowledge and S-Links. When you have absolutely nothing else to do on a rainy day, studying in the library will give twice as much of a Knowledge boost as usual. Also you need max Courage and Knowledge to get the Fortune S-Link, by the way.

In the dungeons:

- Fuse a Sarasvati early on with some good skills and lots of different elements. She gets Invigorate 2, which gives you 5 SP at the beginning of every turn. What this essentially means is that (With enough Goho-Ms, which you can buy at the shop, and they take you back to the dungeon entrance) you can allow your protagonist to do all of the magic using in the party, scoring knock downs and letting your teammates help you beat down enemies. Then, you can go by yourself to the first floor of the first dungeon and guard against a single enemy while they wail on you for tiny damage, gradually restoring your SP.

In other words, with a skill like this, your protagonist has infinite SP. If you really want to min/max the game, you can use this perk to let you finish every dungeon in one day. It might be a bit of a hassle to do it in the first dungeon though, since the enemies will probably be doing a good amount of damage to you on any floor.

- When you use the Traesto spell or a Goho-M to exit a dungeon, you'll be able to go back to the highest floor you reached previously. I did not know this and felt really loving stupid after a while so I'm repeating it now. Also, don't forget that the save point in front of the boss in the top floor of any dungeon can return you to the entrance.

- Weapons only add damage to normal attacks, NOT physical skills (As your Persona does those). Just a heads up, as I didn't know this until the guide told me. Armor should be your first investment, though Weapons are still important for saving SP.

- Far, far down the line, fusing a Yoshitsuna will put the game in easy mode as he has a skill called Hassou Tobi that literally out-damages anything else you can possibly get (It's a physical skill, though!). He's in the Tower arcana. I'm just saying this so that you know you really can't gently caress yourself over since this will be waiting for you.

- The game is not that hard on Normal after you finish the second dungeon. Don't always be in a rush to grind, as often fusing a good Persona for a particular boss is more help. Hell, there are a good few bosses in the game that you can easily solo if you fuse a Persona that reflects or nulls the attacks they happen to use. Just always keep that in mind.

- You will probably always be hurting for money if you like to fuse or summon Personas a lot, but that's okay. You get lots of money from doing well on exams, and your part time jobs will give you a lot, too.

That's all that I can think of right now, as I'm running out of time. But I'll post some more advice later if you like.

Salt Block Party
Jan 1, 2005

by Fistgrrl
What are some more tips for The Witcher.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Nickoten posted:

:words: about Persona 4.

I'm about 75% through the game on my first time through, on Expert, and I figured I'd add a few little details that made Expert go easier for me. I won't spoil anything, since I don't even know how the game ends yet. So don't worry! :)

First off, the Hermit arcana is good. Basically, you can recharge your SP in the dungeon lobby place for a cost. At level 1, it's like 65 yen per SP or whatever. Then it goes down by 5 each time. So if you get it to SLink level 5 or 6, at least it's much more reasonable.

The guy who recharges your SP in the lobby (not really a guy, but, you'll see) has moods. It varies by day, but goes in a set order. Happy > Normal > Grumpy > Normal > Happy > Normal > Grumpy, etc etc. So try to keep in mind which day he'll be happy, and go exploring on those days if you can. I think he charges you 100% on normal, 70% on Happy, and 130% on Grumpy.

This all sounds a little annoying, but it's a trade-off for having done away with the "Tired/Sick" system in Persona 3. That poo poo was annoying, and this is WAY less annoying, because you always have enough money as long as you're not spending it on minor lovely upgrades. And I'm playing on Expert, where everything costs a lot more.

I don't think doing quests is terribly important, so don't ever prioritize them. Usually you only get a couple chest keys or some one-shot use items as a reward. It doesn't ever take up time necessarily, but don't make special trips to the dungeons just to get them.

Speaking of items, use them! Some bosses suck, especially the first couple. Use the Super-Sonics and other full-party -kaja buffs freely on the first couple of bosses if you have them. Later you'll get spells that have these effects, and you won't need the single use items anyway. (Although it might be nice to have one or two for a less useful character to fire off.) I have many more single-use items than I will ever use, and I'm playing on Expert. Assuming you're playing on normal, go buck wild.

It seems to me that focusing on doing your teammates' SLinks is the best idea, since it gives direct combat benefits, and enriches the story (in my opinion). I have yet to see a story that was as touching as the sick kid at the Shrine in P3, but it's still early. :)

I've been able to do every dungeon in one day, and then usually I stop back to finish up fetch quests and level up a bit before the next dungeon becomes available. That will allow you to get in a lot more 'skill up' events and SLink events. I will definitely not max out all the links (that takes a walkthrough, I'd imagine), but I'll at least be able to finish the interesting stories.

A few differences from P3. Having multiple 'serious' relationships doesn't really cause problems in P4. So that's nice. Also, people don't go into 'reverse' Slink mode just because you ignore them, as in P3. Another upgrade.

And enemies don't waste a turn getting up. :( So that's even more reason to do an all-out-attack when given the option. The only time I don't is when I want to use a buff, heal, or item with that character's extra turn instead of doing damage.

Sorry for the wall of text. I realize it's mostly overstated and obvious stuff, but I'm having a blast with this game right now. I hope a point or two helps someone. :)

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Backhand posted:

So I just downloaded X-com: Apocalypse after hearing endless good things abotu it around these parts. However, it does not seem to have any form of tutorial or guide. I've only played for a few minutes thus far, and was limited largely to starting a research project (that didn't seem to go anywhere) and dispatching agents to investigate buildings that pyramids (dimensional gates?) appeared over top of. All this accomplished was pissing off the owners. Any advice for a beginner?

Don't investigate a building unless you get an alert from there, or you saw a UFO depositing aliens in it. Get robot soldiers every chance you get. Good early weapons are laser rifles, stun grapples and stun grenades. For vehicles, janitor missiles rule until you get alien weapons. Do not use any ground vehicles ever.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

LofwyrSai posted:

I've having trouble with MLB09 The Show for the PSP. I'm playing on Veteran as I don't like not having swing controls on Rookie and even with the sliders really jacked in my favor I'm having trouble winning games. Seems like no matter what I do the computer eventually catches my pitcher for some big hits. I seem to get plenty of hits but not runs (singles galore). I'm playing a modified Braves team that is ranked 3rd in the league in terms of overall talent so I should be doing pretty well.

Any tips and tricks?

I'd like help with this game too, I'm playing on PS3 though.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Anyone have some good recommended mods for Fallout 2 like the list for 1 posted a few pages back?

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!

Backhand posted:

So I just downloaded X-com: Apocalypse after hearing endless good things abotu it around these parts. However, it does not seem to have any form of tutorial or guide. I've only played for a few minutes thus far, and was limited largely to starting a research project (that didn't seem to go anywhere) and dispatching agents to investigate buildings that pyramids (dimensional gates?) appeared over top of. All this accomplished was pissing off the owners. Any advice for a beginner?

I hate that game with a passion due to all the broken promises, but I'm happy to help anyone who wants to try an X-Com game (PS - Play Enemy Unknown / UFO Defense once you're done with Apocalypse).

Oh right, so don't worry about the pyramids yet. They're perfectly harmless on their own and are actually incapable of doing anything, at all, except allow for ships to go through them.

When you first, first start out you can safely ignore pretty much everything until the aliens actually make an attack on the city with their ships. You'll have "aliens spotted" messages due to existing infestation, so always respond to those. Also, keep in mind that the aliens "spread" like parasites, so if you take too long to get there, or all the aliens flee the map at some point after you have arrived, you'll need to investigate each and every surrounding building to make sure there are no bad guys there, reputation loss or no, otherwise things will get out of control and fast.

When the aliens attack, what they typically do is send out a few ships to destroy various targets and use the rest of their ships to beam troops down to a large number of buildings. Save your game as soon as the attack starts and deal with the ships however you can. Slow time down as much as possible and try to watch where the aliens beam to, then hit those after the threat is over (and then search surrounding buildings). It's a huge whack-a-mole pain in the rear end but manageable, since you'll get plenty of aliens spotted messages. Ignoring them leads to them subverting the company, which will then join the aliens in an alliance. That's very bad, the equivalent of losing countries to infiltration in the first two games.

To deal with the "attacks" and save yourself some grief, and also to get your research done, you'll want to avoid using "heavy hitters" where possible and instead try to swarm your opponents with weak weapons at high altitudes. You'll lose more of your own units doing this, but the upside is that you'll do a lot less collateral damage - a Hawk with three plasma weapons or disruptor will tear up the city every time you miss, and God help you if you're using the powerful missiles. A swarm of hoverbikes and phoenix hovercars with tiny lasers or their default cannons will not damage the city much at all. You'll also want to "split up" your units into decent sized swarms and park them in buildings near the dimension gates to save on response time. They don't eat up fuel when they're in garages.

Avoid ground vehicles, they're pointless.

Try to stay on the good side of the transport companies, along with Marsec and Megapol at all costs. Having them go hostile is very, very annoying as you wont be able to move poo poo around without serious micromanaging. Despite what people may tell you, most of the factions are just there for flavour and don't have any "secret" affect on anything. They were supposed to. They were even described as such at first by Micropose, but they never bothered to implement and were supposed to patch it all in later (which they failed to do).

In terms of ground combat, you're on your own but I'll give you a tip: If you're playing in real-time ground combat, you might as well be playing in 'Easy Win Mode.' So if you need to win a critical ground attack mission, switch to real-time because the AI in real-time is incapable of doing anything but run at your guys in a straight line. Now all you have to do is find a choke point, or simply sit out in the open, with three rows of guys in three lines (one row standing, the one in front kneeling, the one in front of that prone), set the speed to fastest and go make yourself a cup of tea. Try to make sure the kneeling guys have some long distance, accurate weapons, and give everyone else two auto-weapons in each hand, and watch the fireworks.

Final Tip is this: The Cult of Sirius is always hostile to you and sooner or later you'll piss someone off or the aliens will subvert some organization against you. If you want to cripple a Corporation, you have to bankrupt it. You could try doing that through raids, but the fastest way to do it is to level their buildings and eat the 'government funding penalty' you'll get hit with for destroying the city. This is because most corporations have a few fragile looking structures, and with a powerful missile, you can usually collapse the whole structure on the map - the chain reactions are usually powerful and the gravity so slow that they'll launch their vehicles the moment you attack, only to have them crushed by falling debris. A good attack can set the company back to having negative millions of dollars - they'll be incapable of buying new poo poo or attacking you until they're in the black again. In one week you can, in effect, wipe out the Cult of Sirius as a power in the game.

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

Jingleheimer posted:

Turning off the announcers is about the best advise I can give you if you're trying to play a franchise.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Tales of Phantasia:
Don't lean too hard on any one party member, the game has a habit of pulling them randomly an unexpectedly.

Chrono Cross:
Learn to love trap elements. They will make the midgame much easier.
Yes, Miguel is like that for everyone. You gotta get lucky and/or pick the right companions.

Fallout 3 question:
if I reverse pickpocket Dad some armor as we are crossing the map, will he use it? He keeps dying.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

Fallout 3 question:
if I reverse pickpocket Dad some armor as we are crossing the map, will he use it? He keeps dying.

Just fast travel, why would you torture yourself like that?

However, I'm pretty sure the answer is yes.

Palleon fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 11, 2009

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Jingleheimer posted:

MLB09 The Show

If you are playing on an HDTV, do whatever you can to turn off any delay. If you have a game mode, use it. If you have digital filters or noise reducers or any settings like that on your TV you won't be able to hit or pitch. At least I wasn't.

For pitching, remember that you shouldn't always throw max strength and hit the sweet spot every time. Mix up your speeds, and if your second "click" is past the sweet spot, your release will be a little later which can add curve to your curveballs or drop to your change-ups. If you release it earlier, it can keep a pitch straighter (which is usually not wanted, but you can fool people on the outside by making it look like your hanging a curveball outside of their reach).

Work the outside, and sometimes pitch in. You can't just throw strikes, you need to go inside out, and work below the knees sometimes. Pay attention to the hitters. Some guys like low balls, some like high and inside. Pitch to their weaknesses.

Also pay attention to your situation. If there is a guy on first, dropping a sinker or a low change-up can create double-plays. If you're going against a guy who doesn't have much power, maybe forcing a fly ball might be a good way of getting him out.

For hitting, its tough. Remember the CPU will try to do basically what I wrote above, so watch for it. Don't swing at everything and take some pitches, although I find the CPU doesn't like to walk you. Once you get to 3 balls, they tend not to stray out of the zone, but that's not 100%.

I turned contact and timing to easy via the sliders on mine until I got used to it, and slowly went to normal. I really suggest that. I also had to play small ball my first 15 games or so as I wasn't hitting a lot of extra base hits. So I'd get a guy on first, bunt him over, or hit and run, etc.

Stealing is hard, and the CPU will figure out if you try and steal with Ellsbury every time he is on 1st. Don't just steal automatically. You need to mix it up.

Oh, on defense, the CPU like to try and stretch a guy from first to third a lot. Try to throw to third, as I find I can get the free out pretty often over there.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Another good beginner tip for MLB 09: if you're having trouble with hitting, try not swinging at anything until you have two balls or fall behind in the count. You're more likely to get better pitches to hit when the count is in your favor and you'll even start drawing a few walks per game.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I'm going to give Devil Summoner 2 a go. Anything I need to know?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Zvahl posted:

Put Hero and Yangus' points into Fisticuffs until they get Thin Air (42). You don't get much really great benefit for a while, and will still want to use weapons most of the time early on, but it's worth it for the one ability. After that, head down one of their weapons--which is mostly a factor of which ones you like the most, but Spears and Axes respectively let you power level best on metal slimes later on and both are pretty good weapons.

Their spell lines are garbage--BUT, you want to get Yangus to 4 Humanity at some point, probably before or around the cockblock boss, so you can learn Whistle to level up with a bit less tedium. You can also take Hero's Courage to 8 early on, if traveling bugs you, to learn Zoom, but Angelo learns it on his own, so it's up to you if you want to wait to learn that.

For Jessica, you probably want to dump full on into Staves, and then Sex Appeal after that, her weapons are kinda garbage, but if you want to do one, do whips, but you won't really need much crowd control once Hero/Yangus get Thin Air. You get a lot more mileage out of Staves, though, including a really nice free heal--she's gonna be a caster even if you insist on grabbing whips.

Angelo's only useful line is bows, and they're also his best weapons bar none. The 100 skill is useless, though, so just go to 88, and after that, just go up Charisma, since there's not much else to do.

There's a mid-game boss fight that is a really really awful difficulty spike. You'll probably get to it around 23-24 and it's not really feasible to beat until around 30. Suck it up, it's not terribly hard, and there's a full restorative spring right by him. Put your money in the bank before you fight him, though, and if you beat his first form, suck the loss up, because if you go back you'll only have to fight the second form.

I could probably go on and on, but I'm already getting into the territory of stuff you don't really need to start.

This is quite possibly the worst advice for DQVIII I have ever heard. Follow this advice and you're likely to gimp your characters. Here's much better advice:

For the Hero, max out either swords/spears(I prefer swords because of the combined swords/courage skill) and courage(Omniheal is a lifesaver and you really, really want his reduced MP costs). Putting points into fisticuffs for him is a waste; you only need one character with Thin Air. Extra points should go into Boomerangs. You'll still want to use boomerangs for random battles even if you never put a single point into the Boomerangs skill.

For Yangus, put your first six points into Axes to get Helm Splitter(this is vital for bosses). Then put 42 points into Fisticuffs for Thin Air(for most of the game this skill will instantly end most random battles -- for this reason I also like to give Yangus the seeds that up your max MP). From there you'll probably want to put most of your points into Axes(at least until you get Executioner). Getting 42 points in Humanity is useful for Kabuff because your other casters will usually be too busy to use it(also, Share Magic is great for giving your casters a little extra MP in a tight spot). Yangus's best weapon doesn't use any of his weapons skills so don't worry too much about that.

For Jessica, put your first 57 points into Staves(for infinite free self-Midheal + the MP bonuses you get along the way). Then your next 78 points should go into Sex Appeal(you want Sex Appeal maxed out eventually and if you keep putting your points into Staves before getting 78 in Sex Appeal you're going to hit the skill cap), then you're able to max out Staves for Kazing(you really, really want this on Jessica). Then max out Sex Appeal because Hustle Dance becomes pretty vital, especially in the postgame. Somewhere along the line you're going to want to put at least 23 points in Whips because Twin Dragon Lash is the strongest single target attack in the game.

For Angelo, arguments can be made for any of his weapons skills(personally I found Swords to be most useful) but you definitely want to get his Charisma to at least 52 for Chilling Chuckle.

Also, if you build your skills this way, you will roll over the midpoint boss without having to grind.

...! fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 13, 2009

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Patzor posted:

Advance Wars series

*Snip*

This goes for AW2 mostly:
    *Colin is Overpowered; if you struggle with uneven odds in a war room map just turtle with him.

*Eagle is the best CO if you know what you are doing to win maps fast

*Normal tank + Artillery is a better investment then 1 md Tank. Neotanks are always good though.

Im looking for tips on GTA3, I have played through it once when it came out and I played its sequels but I wonder if people have some good hints on how to tackle that game; especially the combat after playing IV.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Aug 13, 2009

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

...! posted:

dq8 words

Eh, it's a pretty good system in that it's hard to totally gimp yourself unless you're spreading out as thin as possible.

I'll give you that you don't really need two people with Thin Air, I just disliked the hero's spell line enough to not really bother. Spears/Swords is pretty much a tossup, and as long as you get Executioner with Yangus, you can at least kill metals easily enough.

Between all the Sage's Stones, Jessica and Angelo and depending on Hero in a pinch, I was never really hard-pressed for healing.

Helm Splitter and Sap do the same thing, and while I can't remember if/how they stack, I know it was never a big deal.

Sex Appeal at 78 is that charm attack, right? I suppose if you were heavily invested in whips it might be okay, but I barely ever saw it fire, and I was thwacking things with her for a while. I never really got much mileage out of most stuff in Sex Appeal, DQ8 continues the fine tradition of making most status ailments garbage when you use them.

Chilling Chuckle is good, yeah, but I really can't recall ever having too hard a time on a boss just using him to heal. I had it by the end of the game anyhow, so you'll probably have it unless you're purposely avoiding Charisma, which there's really no point to do after you've picked a weapon.

Thin Air on Yangus though is pretty much a definite.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
A couple people have asked about Etrian Odyssey II. I'll tell you what a friend of mine told me when I asked him for advice on the game: "Atlus hates the people that play their games."

This game is brutal, but I can share a few pieces of advice that are making it less painful for me.
    This game is hard. Don't beat yourself up if you are having trouble. Just keep at it.
    Avoid FOEs any time you can. Yes, some of them respawn. The ones that move have a discernible pattern. Be patient and you'll figure it out.
    Keep a handful of warp wires on you at all times.
    Mark stuff on your map! That's what it's there for.
    Don't be afraid to consult a floor map online if you're stuck.
    Leave to save and heal often. This sounds obvious, but if you don't go to the surface from time to time, your inventory will get too full. Or you might accidentally run into an insurmountable FOE.
    I rely on a Protector, a Landsknecht, and a Medic for most battles, but I'm sure different configurations will work. Mix it up and see what works best for you (although you'll probably still need that Medic).
    Do the "item-fetch" sidequests.
    Plan where to spend those skill points! Doing it all willy-nilly will surely gimp your character, and that'll ruin your entire party in a game this unforgiving.
    Do not pursue Lu Bu. He will gently caress your poo poo up.

EDIT: Me am good at grammar!

GOTTA STAY FAI fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 18, 2009

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Going to run through Army of Two in a few days with a buddy, is there anything in particular I need to know? I really want to play through the game "blind" but I'm one of those people who freak out about upgrading lovely weapons and such, so I'm mostly asking is there's any outstandingly terrible/later replaced weapons I should avoid?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Foul Fowl posted:

Going to run through Army of Two in a few days with a buddy, is there anything in particular I need to know? I really want to play through the game "blind" but I'm one of those people who freak out about upgrading lovely weapons and such, so I'm mostly asking is there's any outstandingly terrible/later replaced weapons I should avoid?

You'll get enough money through one run of the game that you can buy cheaper versions of weapons, upgrade them, and then buy the better version, and upgrade that one.

Personally, I hated the SMGs in the game. Pistols felt much better to me.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Foul Fowl posted:

You don't really have to worry about it since there is a really easy point in the game to farm money (and it's quick too). But if you just want the good stuff:

Assault Rifle:Aug
SMG: P90
LMG: SAW or PKM
Handgun: .44 Model (fully upgraded will 1 shot most things)

I tend to not use the Shotguns or Grenade Launchers.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Ah, awesome. Really glad money won't be a problem. Thanks. :)

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Someone please help me start Super Robot Taisen Original Generation 2. I just need some general pointers; most guides I find via gamefaqs or Google are of little help (but will probably become useful once I get acclimated to the game).

EDIT: Grammar is awesome.

GOTTA STAY FAI fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 13, 2009

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Zvahl posted:

Eh, it's a pretty good system in that it's hard to totally gimp yourself unless you're spreading out as thin as possible.

I'll give you that you don't really need two people with Thin Air, I just disliked the hero's spell line enough to not really bother. Spears/Swords is pretty much a tossup, and as long as you get Executioner with Yangus, you can at least kill metals easily enough.

Between all the Sage's Stones, Jessica and Angelo and depending on Hero in a pinch, I was never really hard-pressed for healing.

Helm Splitter and Sap do the same thing, and while I can't remember if/how they stack, I know it was never a big deal.

Sex Appeal at 78 is that charm attack, right? I suppose if you were heavily invested in whips it might be okay, but I barely ever saw it fire, and I was thwacking things with her for a while. I never really got much mileage out of most stuff in Sex Appeal, DQ8 continues the fine tradition of making most status ailments garbage when you use them.

Chilling Chuckle is good, yeah, but I really can't recall ever having too hard a time on a boss just using him to heal. I had it by the end of the game anyhow, so you'll probably have it unless you're purposely avoiding Charisma, which there's really no point to do after you've picked a weapon.

Thin Air on Yangus though is pretty much a definite.

I say go to 78 on Sex Appeal because it's a convenient stopping point to go back to putting points in Staves. You want Sex Appeal maxed out because Hustle Dance does the same thing as a Sage's Stone. If you have it, you can save an Orichalcum and use it to make something else. It's a way more efficient use of rare resources.

Another tip: set aside any Skull Helms, Sun Helms, and Magic Beast Hides you get until you're able to make a Timbrel of Tension. These items are extremely rare and if you use them for something else(or sell them) you can't get them back. Timbrels of Tension are basically the most powerful items in the game. If you have two of them(the max since there are only two Skull/Sun Helms in the game) you can break the game wide open. Also, don't sell any Slime Crowns you get; they are also extremely rare and used to make awesome items.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

GeneralFai posted:

Someone please help me start Super Robot Taisen Original Generation 2. I just need some general pointers; most guides I find via gamefaqs or Google are of little help (but will probably become useful once I get acclimated to the game).

I'll avoid doing character specific stuff because it gets into spoiler territory. Here's some basic stuff. I may get names wrong since I've been playing these games since before there were English translations.

- Any character can be useable if you play to their strengths (within reason). Obviously some are better than others. It's not quite the same story with the mechs; some are much more broken than others, have higher-damage weapons that are just going to be more powerful, have higher stats, etc, but all of this can be mitigated some with just weapon upgrades/switching, stat upgrades, items, and so forth. There are a lot of different interlocking systems in the game that can be used to break it wide open, and the late-game of any SRW pretty much turns into, "just how hard do I want to break things?"

- Pilot skills-wise, SP Regen is a good default skill to put on anyone if you don't know what you want to do with them; it makes it so you can spam an avoidance "spell" every round, or use a morale booster and take the next few turns to regen to be ready to unload later in the mission. Attacker is a good damage booster for anyone who is going to ever, well, attack anything (which is most characters; a good rule of thumb is if a character never gets a damage boosting spell, they're more of a support pilot). Focus (or whichever one makes spells cost 80%) is also good, especially for characters with good-but-expensive spells.

- Unit-wise, there are two mostly-fan-determined artificial categories of robot; super and real. In game terms, a super robot tends to hit hard, have high armor, but not a lot of dodge or accuracy, whereas a real robot tends to be dodgier, hit a little less hard, use ammo instead of energy for most of its attacks and, in OG2 at least, is able to switch out weaponry. This isn't hard and fast, but mainly the point of this is to make sure you boost mobility on "reals" and armor/EN/HP on "supers".

- Some units have combo attacks that can be used when those units are adjacent to each other. Combo attacks ignore barriers, which becomes very important later in the game when most big enemies will have bad-rear end barriers (and if you're avoiding spoilers or secrets you probably aren't going to unlock the way to cheese through those).

- I find that raising big main attacks to around 50% on your heavy hitters is enough, as long as you spread that out; I like having a team that can all mostly hit pretty hard rather than one or two really heavy hitters and a bunch of scrubs, and since upgrade costs rise exponentially it's a little more economical in the long run.

- Make sure to investigate items and what they do, and use them to round out areas where a unit might be lacking. If somethings getting hit really hard, it might be cheaper for you to equip an armor-raising part.

- Don't worry so much about skill points the first time through; I didn't find OG2 all that tough, but I'd played other games before it, and it can be pretty unforgiving at times, especially if you're trying to get skill points. The game also gets harder the more skill points you get, so it can be a vicious cycle.

- A lot of pilots have pretty obvious signature units, and most of the time they do really well in them, but part of the fun of the game is switching things around and seeing some characters use other character's units. Also, some characters don't really have one unit that's necessarily "theirs"; mix and match people until you find good combinations. If a unit's slow and someone has a movement up spell, match them up; if there's a high armor unit and someone else has the 1/4 damage for a turn spell, they'll probably be a good match.

I could talk about this game for probably a billion years because I am a giant nerd for it, but that's probably enough :words: for now, and I don't want to get too specific and ruin stuff. Here is a good website for secret info (OG2 especially has some really obtuse secrets) but it is spoilery so I'd stay away if you care about that stuff - http://akurasu.net/wiki/index.php?title=Super_Robot_Wars/OG2

Edit: I'll be happy to elaborate since obviously I love typing if you have any other questions.

Viash
Mar 17, 2003

GeneralFai posted:

Look up how to get the secret Wildwurger unit and then put someone with fury in it. Fury + stun shock is the most awesomely broken thing and you can completely trivialize some of the later bosses with it if you get frustrated trying to beat them normally.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

aerether posted:

The maximum level for skills, is, incidentally, MAX, after level 3. Seriously. Also, skill progression is tied entirely to luck - it has a set chance to increase every time it's activated. I think the chance to increase a skill from 3 to MAX is something like 1/500 or something absurd. Lloyd seems to have a slightly higher chance of leveling his skills (he had Duel MAX, Switch 3, Guide 3, Speed MAX, and First 3 when I finished the game) but he's in every battle so I guess that explains it :v:

Also, if you're not getting very much exp from Arena duels, fight tougher opponents... you should be able to pick on certain enemies with very weak wanzers and monstrously high skills. I forget exactly which ones you should pick on, but somewhere out there is a person with, for example, lovely Zora-3A parts but a whopping 255 short skill. Outgun him (he'll likely blast off a part or two first) and bam, easy EXP. At least, that's how I remember grinding the Arena. Fight enemies where the odds are against you winning (1:1 at the minimum) and reset if you lose. It's also a good way to earn money for parts, in addition to being a good source of EXP.

Also, go out of your way to ensure you get a certain rifle that will almost assuredly break the rest of the game in half for you. It makes the Short skill even more broken than it already is.

Does this mean the arena is only useful later in the game? Because I'm near the beginning and with odds of about 1.8 I'm getting like 3 experience per fight.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I've played the crap out of Resi4 in the past, and with the disappointment that was Resi5 I'm now gonna play it again. I have two questions though-

Any tips for Mercenaries? I suck at that.

and

What, in your opinion, is the best handgun to use? I always end up just sticking with the free Punisher and Broken Butterfly guns through the whole game, but I'm thinking I should maybe try out some of the others.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Blacktail overall, Red9 for pure power. Broken Butterfly is the best magnum available without acing Mercenaries.

You are playing the Wii version, right? Because anything else is doing it wrong.

Pyruvate
Apr 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Gran Turismo 4
Whenever you have the license to, do the first two Special Condition events, the first is kind of hard but nets you the Cadillac Cien, which has 976hp with level 3 tuning, and winning the second gets you a Toyota Rally car which you can resell for ~200k. This makes doing stuff in whatever order a lot easier.

anyone have other tips?

Also, anyone have advice for Front Mission 4?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

CaptainRat posted:

:words:

Sweet! That was better than I'd hoped for. Thanks. May I PM you if I run into trouble and don't want to read a spoilerific guide?

Also, thank you, Viash, I'll be sure to do that when I get to that point. Right now I'm in the first battle and to be honest it's kind of intimidating; I'm afraid of messing up. Since it's just the beginning, I'll dive right in and if I screw up too terribly I can always restart.

Pyruvate, the only advice I can really give right now about Front Mission 4 is to set aside large blocks of time in which to play it; the game is furiously addictive. Other than that, I'd say pay attention to terrain effects as they can make or break you in many battles. I'll do a better write-up later if nobody beats me to it.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Blacktail overall, Red9 for pure power. Broken Butterfly is the best magnum available without acing Mercenaries.

You are playing the Wii version, right? Because anything else is doing it wrong.
I don't have a Wii. :( Resi4 will be the first game on my list when I do get one, but for now I'm stuck with the PS2 version. Don't even get to play the ingame-rendered Gamecube version cos my ex took it, even though he probably has the Wii version now and it's not fair

but thank you, I'll try the Blacktail for a bit.
What's the advantage of the Broken Butterfly? Isn't the Killer7 stronger?

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

GeneralFai posted:

Sweet! That was better than I'd hoped for. Thanks. May I PM you if I run into trouble and don't want to read a spoilerific guide?

Absolutely!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Foul Fowl posted:

Ah, awesome. Really glad money won't be a problem. Thanks. :)

Don't worry about the super expensive weapons that you won't really use too much like the minigun as they're unlocked once you beat the game. So just save them up for any replays. Also don't forget to get the new ending DLC (which is free) but go ahead and play the original ending first.

Also, while the RPG looks cool it is of almost no use and you're going to want a sniper rifle to do the co-op shots so don't bother with it.

Salt Block Party
Jan 1, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Anything for Titan Quest and expansion? I mean, it doesn't look too complex, but what are some good skills to take and masteries to avoid and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

muscles like this? posted:

Don't worry about the super expensive weapons that you won't really use too much like the minigun as they're unlocked once you beat the game. So just save them up for any replays. Also don't forget to get the new ending DLC (which is free) but go ahead and play the original ending first.

Also, while the RPG looks cool it is of almost no use and you're going to want a sniper rifle to do the co-op shots so don't bother with it.

Counterpoint: I found the RPG usseful as a get out of Heavy free card.