Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ebert's Orphan review makes it sound like a solid remake of The Bad Seed (perhaps by way of The Good Son), I'm not sure what to think now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

spixxor posted:

All right, I give, you got me.

Yeah, a badass poster does not a good movie make, but it can't be worse than the F13 remake. It just can't. Even if it doesn't live up to the original, Freddy as a character is way more interesting than Jason, and ability-wise gives you a lot more to play around with creatively. There's only so much you can do with a mentally challenged giant with mommy issues and a machete.

Christ, I've come full circle to defending this thing now.

This was mentioned, but to get into it a little more, all of the Ft13ths are crap. Some are entertaining, and some are better than others, but none are really "good" movies. So the remake became yet another entertaining Ft13th, and at the worst, couldn't be as bad as the worst.

The problem with Halloween, TCM, and NOES is that all of those were varying degrees of good. So even when you do a remake that is pretty good or ok like with TCM, if it's not as good as the original, people will hate it. NOES runs into this same issue.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

PsychoGoatee posted:

I'm on board for this Nightmare remake, but by aiming higher I'd say it has an easier chance of being worse than the F13 remake.

For one thing, this Nightmare remake is actually a remake of the first Nightmare film. By having the main character be Nancy Thompson again, it draws some comparison to the Halloween remake which did the same thing, and it definitely has large shoes to fill compared to Wes Craven's masterpiece.

The director of this Nightmare remake, Samuel Bayer, is a music video director who hasn't even directed an episode of a TV show. One of the writers has pretty much no credits, the other wrote the Doom movie from 2005.

This Nightmare remake will also probably take itself more seriously than the Friday the 13th one, which means if it fails it'll be even less entertaining.

I'll be seeing this, and I think Rorschach is a great casting choice, but this is definitely not an assured success.

I'm a huge fan, and I put the Friday the 13th remake in the top three in the series. I only rank Friday 4 and Friday 2 above it. It's the classic formula, campers who are entertainingly sad, especially the "dick" character of Trent who I freakin' loved. They get slaughted by Jason, and it's stylish and classic. It didn't aim high, but it did what it set out to do with the formula, and it did it better than the majority of the other sequels I'd say.

And it had a lot of great humor, who didn't love it when the nerd was blasting the 80s classic "Motorin!", Sister Christian by Night Ranger.

Plus it has easily my favorite ending in the series. Jason smashing through the dock is Jason personified. Part IV is my favorite one, but the Corey Feldman ending while hilarious is not as good. Of course, the ending of the first Friday the 13th is awesome as well.

Actually, according to IMDB there's only one writer (other than a credit to Wes Craven) and he's written a TV episode before and nothing else, though he does have like five scripts that are in development as movies. And the director doesn't necessarily need to have experience to make a good film; Steven Spielberg only directed his own little projects and shorts before he landed a job doing Duel, a 70s made for TV movie that made studio execs hire him to do Jaws based on how good it was. The director might not have film experience, but he does have a good visual sense--it's just going to depend on whether he can structure the movie properly, in terms of basics, so it doesn't feel like a series of shots strung together or a car commercial.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

timeandtide posted:

Well, Orphan is almost out and Ebert gave it...3 1/2 out of 4 stars? Maybe it's better than I thought.

Yeah so far all the reviews I've read on horror sites have stated it's suprisingly good. Is it a slasher though, never thought of it as one which is why I never puts posters or trailers for it here.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

Slasherfan posted:

Yeah so far all the reviews I've read on horror sites have stated it's suprisingly good. Is it a slasher though, never thought of it as one which is why I never puts posters or trailers for it here.

I was just mentioning it here since we talked about it a few times and this is sort of a general place for horror talk.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

timeandtide posted:

I was just mentioning it here since we talked about it a few times and this is sort of a general place for horror talk.
Yeah, that's how I take it too. This may have been started to talk about upcoming slashers, but there's no longer a general horror megathread so I've always just sort of turned to this one as such.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Have you guys heard of A Perfect Getaway?

It looks like a fun tropical island murder-fest from the trailers. And the cast is pretty impressive for what is probably a trashy movie- Milla Jovovich, Steve Zahn, Timothy Olyphant. Well, maybe not impressive, but I'm a fan of all those folks. And the writer/director isn't.... completely terrible.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Pet Rock Band posted:

It looks like a fun tropical island murder-fest from the trailers. And the cast is pretty impressive for what is probably a trashy movie- Milla Jovovich, Steve Zahn, Timothy Olyphant. Well, maybe not impressive, but I'm a fan of all those folks. And the writer/director isn't.... completely terrible.

Kind of interested in seeing this

I like David Twohy, three of his films (The Arrival, Pitch Black and Below) are solid flicks and, for the most part, underrated (especially Below).

Cast is good, too, and hey, rated R!

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Pet Rock Band posted:

I get the feeling Milla Jovovich and Steve Zahn will be the killers.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
I still have zero interest in Halloween 2 :( normally I have some interest in slasher movies no matter how bad they look but nothing about Halloween 2 is doing it for me.
Also is the Cinema Discusso page looking strange for anyone else. On my screen it's all crammed to the left.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Yep, the forum looks all crammed to the left for me too.

And hey, Halloween II has Brad Dourif! And apparently a small role for Weird Al. That has to be worth the price of admission.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I'm (cautiously) excited for Halloween 2 for the reason that The Devil's Rejects was so much head and shoulders better than its predecessor. If for no other reason than Zombie has the first under his belt and where his work on an exploitation film failed in several ways he was able to learn from it and be better. Perhaps the same thing can happen with his slasher film.

Or at least I cling to that hope. Maybe he only has one truly great film in him (well, 1 and 1/4 if you count the Captain Spaulding sections in the beginning of Ho1KC). We'll have to wait and see.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Pet Rock Band posted:

It's one of those movies whose ads hype up the twist ending, which is always a turnoff. And it's not too hard to guess what the twist is.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

FoneBone posted:

It's one of those movies whose ads hype up the twist ending, which is always a turnoff. And it's not too hard to guess what the twist is.

I haven't heard much or seen that ad about the twist ending. I just know that it's a tropical island slasher looking movie. I guess I'll go in media blackout mode until then.

ALSO - has anyone heard of The Collector? I saw a pretty creepy poster for it the other night, and it's opening this Friday in 1500 screens. I tried to look up a really vague plot description, and the IMDB doesn't make it sound really horror-y at all?

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Looks like Sorority Row opens in the UK before the US :)
Opens here Wednesday September 9th.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

Pet Rock Band posted:

ALSO - has anyone heard of The Collector? I saw a pretty creepy poster for it the other night, and it's opening this Friday in 1500 screens. I tried to look up a really vague plot description, and the IMDB doesn't make it sound really horror-y at all?

The Collector's got potential. It's written by the guys that wrote the Feast movies and Saw V and IV so they have some experience. My worry is that the trailer makes it look like Saw in a clean house and a new mask. I'll give it a shot though.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Pet Rock Band posted:

And the writer/director isn't.... completely terrible.
No matter how good or bad his movies are, I will pay to see his movies just for bringing us The Arrival.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
French Poster for Final Destination 4 is quite nice. I normally don't like the throw pretty cast on the cover thing but it looks nice. Like the skeleton thing in the puddle.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Slasherfan posted:

French Poster for Final Destination 4 is quite nice. I normally don't like the throw pretty cast on the cover thing but it looks nice. Like the skeleton thing in the puddle.

I dont like it just because no one would ever pose like that on a race car track. They really dont seem like they plan on trying to cheat death for long with that attitude.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Safe Driver posted:

I dont like it just because no one would ever pose like that on a race car track. They really dont seem like they plan on trying to cheat death for long with that attitude.

"gently caress Death, we just w..." SPLAT.

Fastest Final Destination Ever.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

There better be a bigger body count than 5 people. :argh:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Safe Driver posted:

It looks like a Dethklok album cover.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Has anybody come across the Nightmare trailer from comic-con online yet? All I can find is the audio from it on youtube and the sound quality is so bad you can't make out a thing anyone is saying.

LeechCode5
Dec 19, 2004

Burn, Galactica! You're finished, Adama!

spixxor posted:

Has anybody come across the Nightmare trailer from comic-con online yet? All I can find is the audio from it on youtube and the sound quality is so bad you can't make out a thing anyone is saying.

Afraid not. The audio actually did come from a video recording, the ONLY video recording that's been found online. The problem is the dipshit aimed the camera down at the floor while the trailer was playing. And that's literally all we have. Nobody else got video of it because of heightened security, and Platinum Dunes has decided to not release the comic-con trailer online, so we have to wait a few months or however long it takes them to decide to show us something.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
9 new Sorority Row images.

Also here is the UK trailer that differs slightly from the US one, mainly showing more violence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixWGjJi5aqk

Slasherfan fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 4, 2009

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
With The Final Destination and Halloween 2 (for you Americans anyway) only a few weeks away, here are some new TV spots.
The Final Destination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8NYOJiMF5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc05zT1Dxvs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emy56DkgatE

Halloween 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcuf0yC1_bA

Sororty Row
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD4M917tJEk

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

I'm actually starting to get kind of excited about about FD4. I've never bothered to go to a 3D movie because any of the other instances I've been exposed to 3D I've felt like it doesn't really work and I always worry that, since I wear glasses to begin with, fitting those paper glasses over my regular glasses is part of the reason it doesn't work so well on me or something. I hope I'm mistaken, because I'm actually starting to look forward to this.

I've said this before but I'm not even going to bother with Halloween 2. I hated the first one so much I couldn't even finish watching it.

Has there been any talk about Deadgirl in this thread yet? I can't remember. It's supposed to play very limited and then hit DVD in October and it's getting a tremendous amount of buzz. There's also I Sell the Dead which I really, really, really want to see but probably won't get to until it hits DVD (although I thought I read that IFC was going to make the movie available this month for purchase through On Demand).

Here's a trailer for I Sell the Dead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSDVWxGg4I8

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

Theres a spoiler in this clip so be wary

I never knew there was a way to make the bus scene from the first better. I'm really annoyed if thats been ruined because a dude getting nailed by an Ambulance out of nowhere is loving hilarious.

Not bothered about seeing it in 3D since the 3D looks a bit gimmicky so far as its mostly "stuff flying out of the screen at you" 3D instead of something with depth to it. Hopefully it will be as good as FD2 at least.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

UncleMonkey posted:

I'm actually starting to get kind of excited about about FD4. I've never bothered to go to a 3D movie because any of the other instances I've been exposed to 3D I've felt like it doesn't really work and I always worry that, since I wear glasses to begin with, fitting those paper glasses over my regular glasses is part of the reason it doesn't work so well on me or something. I hope I'm mistaken, because I'm actually starting to look forward to this.

New 3D movies are a lot more awesome then stuff just flying out at you, and they don't use the old style cardboard glasses anymore, they have different plastic ones that fit over glasses easy.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

New 3D movies are a lot more awesome then stuff just flying out at you, and they don't use the old style cardboard glasses anymore, they have different plastic ones that fit over glasses easy.
Awesome, thanks!

The last time I tried to watch a 3D movie it was the DVD of Freddy's Dead that came with the Nightmare boxset and I wasn't that impressed and I was worried it was just me.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

UncleMonkey posted:

Awesome, thanks!

The last time I tried to watch a 3D movie it was the DVD of Freddy's Dead that came with the Nightmare boxset and I wasn't that impressed and I was worried it was just me.

Ha ha, I have the same set and yes, the 3D in that is terrible and seems to exist in the film only as an afterthought. The new 3D glasses are actually more like shades. It's an odd experience but My Bloody Valentine great in 3D.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Indeed, these new movies use RealD 3D. I've seen Beowulf and My Bloody Valentine 3D so far with this stuff, and I've been really impressed.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
This seems interesting.

Shocktillyoudrop posted:

The Final Destination is stepping up its game on August 28, featuring not one gimmick but two when it arrives.

D-BOX Technologies Inc. announced today that it will feature the world premiere of the first public screening of a 3-D film with D-BOX Motion Code technology with New Line's The Final Destination.

This is the first time D-BOX's immersive technology will be combined with 3-D technology, offering moviegoers the opportunity to enjoy an unparalleled cinematic experience where they can watch the action in three dimensions and live the extraordinary sensations of onscreen action. D-BOX's motion-enhanced seating provide an unmatched, realistic and immersive experience, utilizing refined subtle motion effects that work in perfect sync with the onscreen action.

Thriller sequel Final Destination is the first 3-D movie to feature D-BOX Motion technology and is the first movie with New Line Cinema to be incorporating D-BOX Motion Code.

"We are truly excited to offer moviegoers the ultimate cinema experience by combining for the first time ever 3-D and D-BOX Motion technology," said Claude Mc Master, President and Chief Executive Officer of D-BOX Technologies. "Our technology is such a great complement to 3-D to provide an incomparable immersive movie-going experience."

D-BOX is currently in seven North American cinemas - the Mann Chinese 6 in Hollywood, California; UltraStar Cinemas in Surprise, Arizona; Mall of America Theatres in Bloomington, Minnesota; Galaxy Highland Theatres in Austin, Texas and most recently, Galaxy Cannery in Las Vegas, Nevada and UltraStar Cinemas in Apple Valley, California. D-BOX recently made its entrance into Canada at Toronto's Cineplex Odeon Queensway.

http://shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=11414

Now all we need is a cinema that sprays a bit of water at you.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Slasherfan posted:

This seems interesting.

Wow, things really do go full circle, don't they? We've rediscovered 3D, and now people are starting to use the same gimmicks William Castle did with movies like The Tingler.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tingler#Percepto:_.22Scream_for_your_lives.21.22

quote:

For "Percepto!" William Castle attached electrical "buzzers" to the underside of several seats in the auditorium. The buzzers were small surplus vibrators left over from World War II. They had been installed inside the wings of air craft and when activated would vibrate to help de-ice the wings by shaking and cracking the ice. The cost of this equipment added $250,000 to the film's budget. It was predominantly used in the larger theaters.

During the climax of the film, the tingler escaped into a movie theater. On screen the projected film appeared to break as the silhouette of the tingler moved across the projection beam. The film went black, all lights in the auditorium were turned off and Vincent Price's voice warned the audience "The Tingler is loose in THIS theater! Scream! Scream for your lives!" This cued the theatre projectionist to activate the buzzers and give several audience members an unexpected jolt.
Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just find it kind of amusing.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Slasherfan posted:

This seems interesting.

This sounds like what the Honey I Shrunk The Kids! ride was like. Also some show at Animal Kingdom.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Slasherfan posted:

This seems interesting.

Terminator 2 3D does this in a few instances, most notably when the T-1000000 blows up.

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico
Reminds me of 'Matinee' with John Goodman.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

I'm not sure whether or not this warrants creating a new thread. But today, Yahoo! Movies has the trailer for Universal's remake of The Wolfman.
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/the-wolfman.html?showVideo=1

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl
This looks like a pretty solid remake. Big shoes to fill, but I'm a Benicio fan, and I'm liking the look of this so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

PsychoGoatee posted:

This looks like a pretty solid remake. Big shoes to fill, but I'm a Benicio fan, and I'm liking the look of this so far.
I am too. It feels like we've been waiting forever for this movie. In fact-- what has it been, two years? So the movie has a lot of hype to live up to and the trailer doesn't disappoint. I'm actually bummed that we still have to wait until February.