Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
New Track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

New Track.

Really didn't like the panning on the alarm-esque synth, but everything else seemed was pretty chill.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

mezzir posted:

Really didn't like the panning on the alarm-esque synth, but everything else seemed was pretty chill.
Haha, yeah, maybe I did overdo the panning a little bit. Thanks, though. : )

Wicked Sushi
Mar 12, 2005

Devil-child wake up and eat Chef Boyardee Beefaroni

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

New Track.

This is pretty awesome. I'm digging all the synths and glitch effects going on.

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
Anyone have any experience with Logic 9 yet? The only thing I dislike about 8 is working with samples (mostly beatmatching, I wish it could warp like ableton) so the new flex time thing seems pretty cool. Is it worth upgrading for?

Altoidss fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 13, 2009

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Anyone have experience with a korg trinity?? You know, from the nineties. I have a very simple question about the sequencer

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Anyone have experience with a korg trinity?? You know, from the nineties. I have a very simple question about the sequencer

i have one sitting in front of me this very second.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

I have a very simple question about the sequencer
Don't do this. Just ask the question. It's not like you can copy-paste it afterwards if you need to ask on another forum.

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

squidgee posted:

Guys let's put these shuffled hi hats behind us and get back to the good old days of retarded distortion and hilariously over the top songs, ok? Great.

hot drat.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

New version, same track.

This was fun.

Also everyone please stop ripping off Burial's echo-ey subway tunnel shuffles. It was boring when he did it on every track and is still boring.

Mannex fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 13, 2009

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

OK, can someone give me a quick tutorial on sidechain compression on the Trinity? Thanks :D

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mannex posted:

Also everyone please stop ripping off Burial's echo-ey subway tunnel shuffles. It was boring when he did it on every track and is still boring.
lol There's lots of people besides him doing it, you might as well call tracks with breaks in them boring. Its electronic music, genres having a lot of easily identifiable features par for the course.

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

If you're talking about the cut up glitch-stuttered amen breaks then yes, that's boring too. With the versatility you have with electronic music it's a shame to see everyone doing the same thing.

wow, how did I miss this.
VVV

Mannex fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 13, 2009

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

mezzir posted:

This definitely falls into the category of 'what the gently caress did I just do, and why did I do it'
That said, I still kinda like it. It's an original piece with vocals from songs by Tag Team, Skee-Lo, and Paul Oakenfold.

This is beautiful. I love this.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

OK, can someone give me a quick tutorial on sidechain compression on the Trinity? Thanks :D
I've got the TR-Rack, which is the Trinity in rack shape.

I've looked through the FX manual but it doesn't say anywhere that you can use a signal from another track; at most, you can use MIDI signals (for instance, note on) from the track itself.

If you just want that typical pumping effect for say, pad sounds, it'd probably work better if you would either record track for track in a DAW that -can- handle sidechaining, or you use an LFO on the amplifier of each oscillator that makes the entire patch dip in volume when your trigger signal is supposed to make it dip.

The routing is horribly insane by the way.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
New Track.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Yoozer posted:

I've got the TR-Rack, which is the Trinity in rack shape.

I've looked through the FX manual but it doesn't say anywhere that you can use a signal from another track; at most, you can use MIDI signals (for instance, note on) from the track itself.

If you just want that typical pumping effect for say, pad sounds, it'd probably work better if you would either record track for track in a DAW that -can- handle sidechaining, or you use an LFO on the amplifier of each oscillator that makes the entire patch dip in volume when your trigger signal is supposed to make it dip.

The routing is horribly insane by the way.

Ack I really need an audio interface. I'm thinking Presonus Firebox

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

prom candy posted:

This is beautiful. I love this.

<3 all the comments, and god drat I want to rip the vox out, recreate the stuttered vox from the oakenfold song somehow, and get someone to do vox...but i kinda like it as is. Any interest in doing a vocal track for a single length version of this anyone? Rap or sing, don't matter, just something original and dope.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

mezzir posted:

<3 all the comments, and god drat I want to rip the vox out, recreate the stuttered vox from the oakenfold song somehow, and get someone to do vox...but i kinda like it as is. Any interest in doing a vocal track for a single length version of this anyone? Rap or sing, don't matter, just something original and dope.

Post a version with no vocals (or IM it if you prefer). No promises, but I (or anyone else) might well find some inspiration.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

hurr ya go

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Vanmani posted:

Post a version with no vocals (or IM it if you prefer). No promises, but I (or anyone else) might well find some inspiration.

Post it, I'll have a listen.

dookie
Aug 28, 2003

Here's my dilemma: I want a nice set of speakers for my laptop for making music on. My budget is very limited though, 100 dollars is the most I can spend. Would I be better off getting a cheap Behringer Studio Monitor set, or a 3.1 speaker setup with a sub included? Can anyone point me in the direction of a good reliable speaker?

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
Here's a new song: Coldploy (it's a remix)
Sorry it's not a tindeck thingabob

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

dookie posted:

Here's my dilemma: I want a nice set of speakers for my laptop for making music on. My budget is very limited though, 100 dollars is the most I can spend. Would I be better off getting a cheap Behringer Studio Monitor set, or a 3.1 speaker setup with a sub included? Can anyone point me in the direction of a good reliable speaker?

Just get some nice speakers, as nice as 100 bucks will give you, 'cause that's the best you're gonna have for now.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Comments? Suggestions?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Not really a newbie question but couldn't think of anywhere else to post it, anyone here have any experience with Super Collider? I've been having fun with it on my new Mac the past few days and was wondering if someone has some tips for good sites with useful classes or in depth tutorials.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

oredun posted:

Comments? Suggestions?

I don't really have anything to say, but it's very nice. Maybe the "vwoip"-y synth is a bit quiet (it sounds cool).
Nice vocodey effects.

mezzir posted:

This definitely falls into the category of 'what the gently caress did I just do, and why did I do it'
That said, I still kinda like it. It's an original piece with vocals from songs by Tag Team, Skee-Lo, and Paul Oakenfold.

This is really fun. Good job. Any way you could shoehorn Quad City DJs - Space Jam in there? :v:

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

New Track.

Nobody has any comments on this one?

Tough crowd.

How about this? Fresh out of my studio.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
Here's that track sans intro.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 16, 2009

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Nobody has any comments on this one?

Tough crowd.

it was too synthetic

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

Mannex posted:

it was too synthetic

= (

I don't know any vocalists!

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

OMGWTFAOLBBQ fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 16, 2009

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
Actual studio? Pretty dope, it's necessary sometimes, but I almost fear the idea of building a cave in which you have to be creative.

Gribble
Nov 16, 2005

wayfinder posted:

Here's a thing a friend and I did:

http://yfinder.de/prev/wayfinder_and_arisen_-_untitled-preview.mp3

Any comments welcome!

You remind me of one of my favorite composers, the way everything you write sounds like the sound track to a 9-5 office job. It's refreshing to find an artist who doesn't insist on leaving me feeling emotionally affected after listening to his music.

Gribble fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 16, 2009

cuppy tea
Feb 6, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I did my first attempt at something commercial, made in Reason:

Not sure what to think of this one, I made this when fiddling about with the korg legacy ms-20's patch bay and the discoDSP discovery in Cubase, still needs finishing:

Critique and desperately needed advice on mixing is welcome.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
: D

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
You are a man of wealth and taste. Allow me to ruin your wallet further.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2009/07/02/macbeth-x-series-dual-oscillator-audio-demo/

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Wow, you really went all out on that room. Congrats.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

IanTheM posted:

Actual studio? Pretty dope, it's necessary sometimes, but I almost fear the idea of building a cave in which you have to be creative.
Its got its upsides, too. Psychologically, when you're in your "studio", you just know you're in the mindframe to do work. It helps me sometimes because that's my biggest problem, sticking with a song and actually doing all the nitty-gritty work part. It definitely does stiffle spontaneity, though. You go in there with the intent to work.

cuppy tea
Feb 6, 2009

by Cyrano4747

cuppy tea posted:

Not sure what to think of this one, I made this when fiddling about with the korg legacy ms-20's patch bay and the discoDSP discovery in Cubase, still needs finishing

Oops, uploaded wrong version...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

ManoliIsFat posted:

Its got its upsides, too. Psychologically, when you're in your "studio", you just know you're in the mindframe to do work. It helps me sometimes because that's my biggest problem, sticking with a song and actually doing all the nitty-gritty work part. It definitely does stiffle spontaneity, though. You go in there with the intent to work.

Yeah I usually scheme songs while walking around town smoking, the it's all about getting down to do the work later.

• Locked thread