Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudger
Feb 20, 2006

i will mess you up

guppy posted:

Okay I've got one. Shareware game, I think, around the era of Apogee games like Hocus Pocus. I could have sworn it was an Apogee game, in fact, but it doesn't show up in Wiki's list of Apogee games. It was a sidescroller for the action bits, but there was a top-down overworld map. I believe either the name of the game or the main character started with an X. I think the story involved being transported to or stumbling across another world or something like that.

Think you're talking about Xargon...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xargon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Rudger posted:

Think you're talking about Xargon...

That's the one, thanks! So it's by Epic. That explains why it doesn't show up on lists of Apogee games. And hey, it's free now. :)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Rock Handsome posted:

I was hoping someone could help me identify a piece of music from a video game. All I have is the midi file. It sounds like it could be from a Final Fantasy game, but I'm not completely certain.

http://www.northernhighlands.org/71...3360/ffmidi.MID

I'd like to help you with this, but I have no idea how to make your link work.

migee
Jan 29, 2009
Theres one game that freaked me out as a kid on my parents 386. It was 2d, and I think you commanded 4 space soldiers that are investigating a ship that stopped communicating with earth. All I remember is that its a go left/right/forward/back 2d game. There was fighting, you started off with a couple pistols. One of the soldiers (I think a female) had a motion sensing device. There is a point in a game where everything gets pitch black and you need a flashlight. The flashlight is timed and you only have limited (timed) power. I remember that there was a place that had giant glass cylinders with fetus'/mutants growing inside. Anyone know?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It was a 2.5D first person shooter type game that you saw on a lot of those "50 GAMES IN ONE" shareware packages, like Wacky Races. I don't remember much about it at all other than:

- Bright, garish colour scheme, mainly green I think
- I seem to think it took place in a trailer park kind of environment.. maybe..
- I think there was one weapon that shot eggs
- I think you bought stuff at vending machines
- It was bad. Really, really bad. Dire.

I don't really have any reason for wanting to know the name of this game other than to look at some pictures of it and be nostalgic.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Edit: crap, disregard, I didn't see there was another page.

guppy posted:

Okay I've got one. Shareware game, I think, around the era of Apogee games like Hocus Pocus. I could have sworn it was an Apogee game, in fact, but it doesn't show up in Wiki's list of Apogee games. It was a sidescroller for the action bits, but there was a top-down overworld map. I believe either the name of the game or the main character started with an X. I think the story involved being transported to or stumbling across another world or something like that.

Could this be Xargon?

Here's the overworld map:

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/2593/384411-xrfile01_000_screen_large.png

Rock Handsome
Sep 16, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

I'd like to help you with this, but I have no idea how to make your link work.

My bad. Dumb mistake. Mind trying again?

http://www.northernhighlands.org/71241072814243360/lib/71241072814243360/ffmidi.MID

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Rock Handsome posted:

http://www.northernhighlands.org/71241072814243360/lib/71241072814243360/ffmidi.MID

It sounds vaguely familiar, but I can't place it. I can say with almost total certainty that it's not from any Final Fantasy game, though—doesn't sound anything like Nobuo Uematsu or Hitoshi Sakimoto.

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

GetHardHero posted:

There was an old sega genesis game that me and my brother used to play on Sega channel it was a top down shooter and there were lots of different characters you played as such as an army dude and one was a ninja. I cannot remember any more for the life of me though.

Probably Gain Ground?

Hyperbolic
Jun 9, 2003

Rock Handsome posted:

I hate you for this, that sounds so drat familiar and it's going to drive me insane.

Mugit
May 28, 2005
Don't know if this can go in this thread, but I'm stuck. It's an upcoming game and hasn't been released yet, but you start out playing as a 4-bit system and you work your way up to an 8-bit system continuing and progressing until I think 128-bit. Somewhat similar to Upgrade Complete. I have done plenty of internet search and trying to read achieved blogs, but no avail.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Mugit posted:

Don't know if this can go in this thread, but I'm stuck. It's an upcoming game and hasn't been released yet, but you start out playing as a 4-bit system and you work your way up to an 8-bit system continuing and progressing until I think 128-bit. Somewhat similar to Upgrade Complete. I have done plenty of internet search and trying to read achieved blogs, but no avail.
Bit Boy, I think.

http://www.destructoid.com/e3-09-bit-boy-announced-for-wiiware-134308.phtml

Mugit
May 28, 2005

That's the one, Thank you, you have eased my mind.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
It was a SNES game. A side scroller with occasional levels where you had to climb these circular towers by platforming round the outside. It had a world map you travelled between levels on. It was a either fist fighting or melee weapons (Can't remember which) with some kind of magical powers. It had a level password system using a grid you put four types of character (I think two of them were a triangle and a cross) in a specific arrangement into it with blank spaces. Sorry I can't provide more detail.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

ReV VAdAUL posted:

It was a SNES game. A side scroller with occasional levels where you had to climb these circular towers by platforming round the outside. It had a world map you travelled between levels on. It was a either fist fighting or melee weapons (Can't remember which) with some kind of magical powers. It had a level password system using a grid you put four types of character (I think two of them were a triangle and a cross) in a specific arrangement into it with blank spaces. Sorry I can't provide more detail.
Sounds like Skyblazer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyblazer

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Yes that was it, thanks!

Rock Handsome
Sep 16, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

It sounds vaguely familiar, but I can't place it. I can say with almost total certainty that it's not from any Final Fantasy game, though—doesn't sound anything like Nobuo Uematsu or Hitoshi Sakimoto.

Hmm. It really reminds me of something that would've been in FF6, but it's definitely not from there, and I can't think of what else it might be from.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Well, nobody has taken even a stab at my earlier request (perhaps a dream?), so I'll post it again and then move on:

It was a game of the 16-bit generation, either Genesis or SNES, I believe (could have been NES, too, but I'm not certain). I remember climbing a mountain and I had a sheepdog that would do certain tasks for me along the way. I may have even had a dog whistle to call him.

And on to the next one:

An arcade game from the early nineties where you were in a swamp boat and were shooting enemies. It was a 3D 3rd person behind view of the boat, but that's all I remember.

Any takers on one or both of these?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Turnip Head posted:

It was a game of the 16-bit generation, either Genesis or SNES, I believe (could have been NES, too, but I'm not certain). I remember climbing a mountain and I had a sheepdog that would do certain tasks for me along the way. I may have even had a dog whistle to call him.
No idea on the second one, but is the first one Secret of Evermore?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_of_Evermore

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

guppy posted:

No idea on the second one, but is the first one Secret of Evermore?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_of_Evermore

I really thought the game was a platformer, though. Could have been my limited memory though.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Ah, you didn't say that the first time. If so, I have no idea, sorry.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Turnip Head posted:

Well, nobody has taken even a stab at my earlier request (perhaps a dream?), so I'll post it again and then move on:

It's a bit of a long shot, but could you be thinking of Conquest of the Crystal Palace for the NES? It starts on a mountain and you are able to call a dog for help.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
found it

OH WORD SON fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 15, 2009

Karo
May 23, 2008

Alle Ruder stehen still, wenn dein starker Arm es will.

Turnip Head posted:

An arcade game from the early nineties where you were in a swamp boat and were shooting enemies. It was a 3D 3rd person behind view of the boat, but that's all I remember.

Any takers on one or both of these?

Hydra?

http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/arcade/c/hydra.htm

Coffey
Sep 9, 2003

by T. Finn

Turnip Head posted:

This could be a lot of things. Do you remember anything else? Are you sure about it being Sega/SNES? Are you sure it was a sheepdog?

I'm guessing it was Conquest of the Crystal Palace.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Panic Restaurant posted:

It's a bit of a long shot, but could you be thinking of Conquest of the Crystal Palace for the NES? It starts on a mountain and you are able to call a dog for help.

Coffey posted:

This could be a lot of things. Do you remember anything else? Are you sure about it being Sega/SNES? Are you sure it was a sheepdog?

I'm guessing it was Conquest of the Crystal Palace.

Yes! This is totally it! I started to realize it was likely NES because I remember playing it on his family room tv, not the one in his room with the Genesis hooked up. Thanks!

Maybe this, but I remember it as a boat with a fan on it and you'd shoot helicopters, I think. Anyways, I'll check this one out and see. Thanks for the help!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I seem to recall an RPG for the PS1 where you would follow the stories of several different characters, each with different abilities. I feel like there was a courtyard like area where you would choose which character to play as. Ring any bells?

ARE THOSE MY SPERMS
Sep 22, 2008

:f5h::allears::fh:
Loves You
I seem to remember a couple games that i rented at about the same time. The first is a comic book fighting game, where you were a guy that went panel to panel in a comic beating up bad guys. the other was a top down rpg. for some reason i seem to think of it as the predecessor to Quest 64, but i'm not sure. both of these SHOULD have been on the genesis, but I unno

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

IS A CRACKBABY posted:

I seem to remember a couple games that i rented at about the same time. The first is a comic book fighting game, where you were a guy that went panel to panel in a comic beating up bad guys. the other was a top down rpg. for some reason i seem to think of it as the predecessor to Quest 64, but i'm not sure. both of these SHOULD have been on the genesis, but I unno

The first one is probably Comix Zone.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

PantsBandit posted:

I seem to recall an RPG for the PS1 where you would follow the stories of several different characters, each with different abilities. I feel like there was a courtyard like area where you would choose which character to play as. Ring any bells?

Saga Frontier?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Abugadu posted:

Saga Frontier?

Thanks, I think that may be exactly it. I didnt really recognize the name, but the couple of images on wikipedia seem familiar. Maybe I would remember these old games better if I had been good enough at video games at the time to actually beat them...

Edit: And there's an LP of it! Kickass!

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 29, 2009

Haircut Insurance
Aug 3, 2006
I remember a while ago there was a thread posted here about a game that either the OP or a friend of his had made. The game was a 2D pixel game that was monochrome. It played a lot like Castlevania + a shmup. You explored a big underwater dome, trying to find a bunch of different weapons that could break the central seal, and every room you went into had a bunch of enemies that shot a ton of bullets. The game had a really cool aesthetic with the music and the environment. Does anyone remember the name of this game and a site where I could download it?

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
Anyone remember a 2d, sidescrolling rpg with steampunk elements? It was an indie game, and I think the first semi-boss was some kind a pig-bear thing in a mine. You could have members in your group and I remember one was a priest. It's killing me that I cant remember the name and google has failed me

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande
My friend constantly asks if this game is Metroid, and I say "no", but I don't know what it is.

He describes it as a SNES-side scroller, where your character could turn into this dog-like ball thing, something similar to Megaman, and something else that he cannot remember. I think he's crazy, but on the off-chance that someone can remember the name, maybe I can finally get him to shut up.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Aturaten posted:

My friend constantly asks if this game is Metroid, and I say "no", but I don't know what it is.

He describes it as a SNES-side scroller, where your character could turn into this dog-like ball thing, something similar to Megaman, and something else that he cannot remember. I think he's crazy, but on the off-chance that someone can remember the name, maybe I can finally get him to shut up.

Super Turrican (2) perhaps? I'm not sure if you can also morph into a ball, but it's the closest I can think of.

e: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxPESQyOeEo - around 0:27 he does the ball thing.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The game I'm trying to remember had a thread here about a year ago, I think. It was some kinda freeware platformer that was all cutesy and you played as a flower or something, but to advance, you had to find special "warp" spots that took you to an incredibly creepy "dark world". Also, if you collected a bunch of gems or something you got a secret ending. I'm sure someone remembers this.

EDIT: VVV That's it.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 15, 2009

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Alabaster White posted:

The game I'm trying to remember had a thread here about a year ago, I think. It was some kinda freeware platformer that was all cutesy and you played as a flower or something, but to advance, you had to find special "warp" spots that took you to an incredibly creepy "dark world". Also, if you collected a bunch of gems or something you got a secret ending. I'm sure someone remembers this.

Eversion.

Eriic
Aug 9, 2009

Twisp, is this a truth? Do you do evil?
In the early 90s we had this typing tutor game on the macs at my school. The game had a ghost who would haunt this house depending on how fast you typed. In one level, the man of the house is sitting in his recliner and watching football, and if you typed really fast the ghost would make the television levitate and the guy would yell "WHOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAA" and his voice would get higher as the TV levitated. Another level was in the kitchen while the wife is cooking dinner, and the ghost would make the blender go faster until it exploded all over the kitchen.

Any ideas? :ghost:

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
This game was on sega CD around the early 1990s. I think it was an RTS type game. You were an army commander, and you led your units around a map kind of like Ogre Battle, but the units you commanded leveled up and had different upgrade progression paths. It may or may not have had anime-style influences.

That is really all I remember about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

captain innocuous posted:

This game was on sega CD around the early 1990s. I think it was an RTS type game. You were an army commander, and you led your units around a map kind of like Ogre Battle, but the units you commanded leveled up and had different upgrade progression paths. It may or may not have had anime-style influences.

That is really all I remember about it.

Haven't played it myself, but is this Dark Wizard?