Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Beat me by 10 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
Someone at criterionforum suggested it's Kurosawa-related since his centenary is in 2010 (and the image is wackyhorse_K.jpg). But even that seems like just a guess.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Someone at criterionforum suggested it's Kurosawa-related since his centenary is in 2010 (and the image is wackyhorse_K.jpg). But even that seems like just a guess.

And Kurosawa's first directorial effort is called Horse.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

How many Kurosawas are even left to be released? Dersu Uzala, his three films from the 90's and the 40's films that weren't in the Eclipse set is all I can think of.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

An Eclipse set with Horse, Sugata Sanshiro, The Most Beautiful, They Who Step on the Tiger's Tail, Sugata Sanshiro II and Those Who Make Make Tomorrow would be cool, since those are all the Kurosawas I haven't seen yet. They already did a Kurosawa set, but that didn't stop them from doubling up on Ozu.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Oh poo poo it's some serious new release action!

492: A Christmas Tale

BOX ART COMING SOON

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES:

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director Arnaud Desplechin
* L’aimée, Desplechin’s 2007 documentary about the selling of his family home
* New documentary featuring interviews with Desplechin and actors Mathieu Amalric and Catherine Deneuve
* Original theatrical trailers
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Philip Lopate

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

493: Gomorrah (DVD and Blu-Ray)

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:

* New high-definition transfer, supervised and approved by director Matteo Garrone (with uncompressed stereo soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* Five Stories, a 60-minute documentary on the making of Gomorrah
* New video interviews with Garrone and actor Toni Servillo
* Interviews with writer Roberto Saviano and actors Gianfelice Imparato
and Salvatore Cantalupo
* Deleted scenes
* Theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Chuck Stephens

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Totally unexpected announcements. I didn't like Gomorrah at all though. When will we get Revanche?

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

494: Downhill Racer

Disc Features

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer
* New video interviews with screenwriter James Salter; film editor Richard Harris; production manager Walter Coblenz; and former downhill skier Joe Jay Jalbert, who served as technical adviser, a ski double, and a cameraman
* Audio excerpts from a 1979 American Film Institute seminar with director Michael Ritchie
* Theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Todd McCarthy

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

495: The Golden Age of Television

SPECIAL EDITION THREE-DISC SET

* The live kinescope broadcasts of Marty (1953), Patterns (1955), No Time for Sergeants (1955), A Wind from the South (1955), Requiem for a Heavyweight (1956), Bang the Drum Slowly (1956), The Comedian (1957), and Days of Wine and Roses (1958)
* Commentaries by directors John Frankenheimer, Delbert Mann, Ralph Nelson, and Daniel Petrie
* Interviews with key cast and crew, including Frankenheimer, Andy Griffith, Julie Harris, Kim Hunter, Richard Kiley, Piper Laurie, Nancy Marchand, Jack Palance, Cliff Robertson, Mickey Rooney, Carol Serling, Rod Steiger, and Mel Torme
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by curator Ron Simon and his extensive liner notes on each program

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

I've seen A Christmas Tale but I definitely want to watch it again. Gomorrah was good but not great but I think both are good pulls for Criterion.

Personally, since I'm not a big Criterion (or for that matter DVD) buyer, I always get more interested in the stuff that wasn't available. I was actually pretty surprised to discover last month that Downhill Racer was not on DVD. I guess this goes partway to explaining why? And the Golden Age of TV set looks like a great rental.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

* The live kinescope broadcasts of Marty (1953), Patterns (1955), No Time for Sergeants (1955), A Wind from the South (1955), Requiem for a Heavyweight (1956), Bang the Drum Slowly (1956), The Comedian (1957), and Days of Wine and Roses (1958)
* Commentaries by directors John Frankenheimer, Delbert Mann, Ralph Nelson, and Daniel Petrie
* Interviews with key cast and crew, including Frankenheimer, Andy Griffith, Julie Harris, Kim Hunter, Richard Kiley, Piper Laurie, Nancy Marchand, Jack Palance, Cliff Robertson, Mickey Rooney, Carol Serling, Rod Steiger, and Mel Torme
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by curator Ron Simon and his extensive liner notes on each program

Holy poo poo this is AWESOME. I was just the other day lamenting the fact that I couldn't see the original broadcast of Requiem for a Heavyweight

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
I want to know exactly who was clamoring for Downhill loving Racer and why it's taking precedence over stuff like the Kwaidan Blu-Ray.

Gah :mad:

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Didn't expect any of those releases. That Golden Age of Television set looks interesting though.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I've been unbelievably busy at work, then I come to the most WTF selection of new announcements I've ever seen. Gonna take a closer look....

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I haven't gone to look yet, but I bet cf.org is jizzing over themselves over this batch.

Golden Age of Television - worth a look, I suppose, but besides being such an unusual release I don't think it's that exciting.

Downhill Racer - Never seen this, but... meh

A Christmas Tale - Well, it's got Catherine Deneueve in it. Sounds like it could be my kind of thing.

Gomorrah - I think this was on my "need to see" list at some point. Looks okay, I guess.

What a weird month. 2 new movies, a television release (sort of), no Eclipse, 1 Blu-Ray, none of the titles we've been waiting for.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 15, 2009

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Television set looks awesome, even if it looks like Eclipse material if it didn't have commentaries and interviews. Still, I'd buy it if it's on sale.

I guess that leaves December as the last gasp of amazement for the month. Aren't Eclipse sets bi-monthly?

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
Wow, Gomorrah's a total surprise. I liked it enough that I'll buy it, but goddamn, its a slow movie.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Oh poo poo, Gomorrah! I'm a sucker for gangster stuff, I loved Gomorrah.

That is one bizarre cover though. Strange that theyre not doing a blu-ray for A Christmas Tale, considering there's already a dvd out for it.

edit. Guess the dvd was a blockbuster exclusive, so nevermind that last statement.

zeroordie fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 15, 2009

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
The best thing learned from this newsletter was Nathan Lee's t-shirt and that it exists.

I really want one. Or i don't. I like it though.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I love this unexpected release because suddenly everyone's like :derp:

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

:derp:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Sounds like it could be fun. Also, I didn't know that Gimme Shelter was slated for a Blu-Ray release. I've been contemplating getting it and if this is the case I'll hold on getting it until it's rereleased.

EDIT: Also, I looked up Gomorrah on YouTube. Looks interesting. Strange, it doesn't look to be as slow a film as everyone says it is.

Macrame_God fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 15, 2009

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

An Eclipse set with Horse, Sugata Sanshiro, The Most Beautiful, They Who Step on the Tiger's Tail, Sugata Sanshiro II and Those Who Make Make Tomorrow would be cool, since those are all the Kurosawas I haven't seen yet. They already did a Kurosawa set, but that didn't stop them from doubling up on Ozu.

This is my dream, and I hope they end up releasing it sometime. I've only seen "Tiger's Tail", which is far from Kurosawa's best, but it's not a bad short movie by any means. I'd love to have them all though because I love me some Kurosawa.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Macrame_God posted:

EDIT: Also, I looked up Gomorrah on YouTube. Looks interesting. Strange, it doesn't look to be as slow a film as everyone says it is.

It is, but it's still a very satisfying viewing experience.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Here's what really puzzles me about A Christmas Tale and Gomorrah--both of these are IFC titles, and I had thought IFC and Weinstein had a deal of some sort. I could be confused--what I know for sure is that both companies had a "90-day exclusive" deal with Blockbuster.

So in the first place no Criterion release is going to have a 90-day exclusive with Blockbuster. (Is there currently a rental-only version of either of these movies, as I believe there is with Che?) And secondly, if this is a joint IFC-Weinstein deal, how exactly did Criterion manage this with the Weinsteins if their deal over the Ran Blu-Ray fell through?

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

FitFortDanga posted:

What a weird month. 2 new movies, a television release (sort of), no Eclipse, 1 Blu-Ray, none of the titles we've been waiting for.

Yeah..can't say I'm particularly excited about any of these. But I'm sure someone is.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

doctor thodt posted:

It is, but it's still a very satisfying viewing experience.

What he said. It's slow, but the subject matter is fascinating and the cinematography is pretty sweet.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Macrame_God posted:

Sounds like it could be fun. Also, I didn't know that Gimme Shelter was slated for a Blu-Ray release. I've been contemplating getting it and if this is the case I'll hold on getting it until it's rereleased.

That, Contempt and Walkabout are the only titles left from the original Criterion Blu-Ray press release that haven't had a release date announced yet.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Sporadic posted:

That, Contempt and Walkabout are the only titles left from the original Criterion Blu-Ray press release that haven't had a release date announced yet.

I thought Contempt was discarded a few months ago (like the Ran release was), but I might be wrong.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

So in the first place no Criterion release is going to have a 90-day exclusive with Blockbuster. (Is there currently a rental-only version of either of these movies, as I believe there is with Che?) And secondly, if this is a joint IFC-Weinstein deal, how exactly did Criterion manage this with the Weinsteins if their deal over the Ran Blu-Ray fell through?

I've seen Che Part 1 on DVD at HMV. Seems to be barebones, and I'd assume the Criterion will have both parts.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Sporadic posted:

That's fine. I'm not dying to get it. It's just something that seems like it would be nice to own. Also, holy poo poo, I didn't know The Human Condition was nine and a half goddamn hours long! :psypop:

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

You can buy Gommorah right now on Amazon so I assume they just have the barebones at Blockbuster.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!

Macrame_God posted:

That's fine. I'm not dying to get it. It's just something that seems like it would be nice to own. Also, holy poo poo, I didn't know The Human Condition was nine and a half goddamn hours long! :psypop:

Technically, it's nine hours long because it's a trilogy of films, but yeah, it's pretty lengthy.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The more I think about the Television box set the more pleased I am. Pleased as punch. As punch!

It's the first thing in a while that feels like a really worthwhile release, instead of just some movie they dig (Downhill Racer, what are you doing??):

It's very very historically significant - you have career starters and highlights for tons of people, the ones they listed: John Frankenheimer, Delbert Mann, Ralph Nelson, Daniel Petrie, Andy Griffith, Julie Harris, Kim Hunter, Richard Kiley, Piper Laurie, Nancy Marchand, Jack Palance, Cliff Robertson, Mickey Rooney, Carol Serling, Rod Steiger, Mel Torme and also (off the top of my head) Paddy Chayefsky, Paul Newman, George Peppard, and Rod Serling.

It's something that's never had a good release (or even a release at all) before, and likely never would without them intervening.

And it's good as fuuuuuck. Live TV was crazy, so fast and energetic.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but the marking on the horse is from the Kagemusha cover.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Playtime (Blu) shipped from Amazon today! Also looks like Bicycle Thieves and La Strada will be waiting for me when I get home from work, with Pandora's Box, Peeping Tom, Green for Danger, and The Lady Vanishes getting here on Tuesday. Lord of the Flies and If.... don't seem to be scheduled until the first week of September.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anybody get Kagemusha yet? I want to but I'd feel dirty paying more than $13 for it now :(

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

doctor thodt posted:

Anybody get Kagemusha yet? I want to but I'd feel dirty paying more than $13 for it now :(

I got the DVD and don't even have a blu-ray player but I want it for this:

“Image: Kurosawa's Continuity”, a new video piece that reconstructs Kagemusha through Kurosawa's paintings and sketches

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I got the Kagemusha and Playtime blu-rays from Amazon today. I didn't get to check them out since I had to come to work. I'm looking forward to tomorrow as I have not seen either film in any format before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

RustedChrome posted:

I got the Kagemusha and Playtime blu-rays from Amazon today. I didn't get to check them out since I had to come to work. I'm looking forward to tomorrow as I have not seen either film in any format before.

You're in for a treat with Playtime. Kagemusha is kind of a mixed bag.

My Playtime & Kagemusha shipped yesterday, but I picked the slow shipping so I probably won't have them until the weekend at the earliest.