Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
All seasons of the Shield except for 7 are $20 on Amazon right now. Get them while they last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Wow the end of Season 6 is badass.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

metachronos posted:

Wow the end of Season 6 is badass.

Really? I thought it was a little weak, but that's mostly because Season Six only exists as something of a prologue to Season Seven.

All the same, you'll love Season Seven even more. I know I'm in the minority here, but I think Season Seven is superior to Five because of how well it ends the series. The last few episodes are spectacular.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

I was mostly referring to the part where Vic beats the poo poo out of that guy while hanging half out of a moving car.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

metachronos posted:

I was mostly referring to the part where Vic beats the poo poo out of that guy while hanging half out of a moving car.

Ooooooooooooh yeah...

That was badass. :)

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Deathlove posted:

That trailer was crazy awesome and now I'm pissed I have to wait six weeks for it.

haha, I *thought* that was Henry Rollins.

Anyway, yes, if you love The Shield, you will love Sons of Anarchy.

Holy poo poo, only six weeks? That went fast. Excellent, can't wait.

Seriously, anyone who's into the Shield and didn't watch Sons of Anarchy needs to get caught up and join us for the second season.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Well I just finished it. God drat what a perfect series. The Finale is depressing

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Junkenstein posted:

Seriously, anyone who's into the Shield and didn't watch Sons of Anarchy needs to get caught up and join us for the second season.

SOA comes out on DVD 8/18 and it's parked in my Netflix queue, ready for a binge.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

Well I'm finally finished. I kind of regret marathon-ing it over the last two months, I feel drained mentally. The final ep was like one big downer. I mean poo poo, they even brought back Andre Benjamin's character just to have him killed. They should have finished the finale with a 20-minute gratuitous Tina Hanlon shower scene to make up for all the :smith: that was going on.

E: Sons of Anarchy is bad rear end. Jesus, they had me right away when they opened with The Black Keys' "Hard Row". What a fantastic show.

metachronos fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 29, 2009

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns
One thing I hate about this show is how they never really develope the "bad guy" characters. They're all just one dimensional gansters who are all pretty much alike. The only one that stood out was Anthony Anderson. Plus he utters the best line in any show ever: "From now on, whenever I say "suck my dick", you say "want me to lick your balls too, daddy" LOLs me every time.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
if they were going up against criminal masterminds, yeah sure they should have developed the opposition. But street gangs aren't criminal master minds so they go the attention they deserved.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
That's because the show is deceptive. They aren't fleshed out because the show isn't about the good cops taking down the bad guys, it's about Vic Mackey.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
I watched the first season a week ago or so, it was pretty enjoyable. I really liked the Julian, Dutch, and Claudette characters. I'm familiar with the plot of the show in the later seasons so there's not going to be much surprise there. That's mostly because I got the idea of watching the whole show because Season 7 is airing here right now. I can't say I actually like Vic or Shane in any way, though they're interesting. Still, though.. boo hoo, your wife left you, you bald sack of poo poo.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 6, 2009

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Junkenstein posted:

This.

Especially as it's supposed to take part in the same world (SAM CROW are the ones who sell the one-niners their guns).

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Competition posted:

This.

Especially as it's supposed to take part in the same world (SAM CROW are the ones who sell the one-niners their guns).

Seeing as both shows have Jay Karnes playing different characters I doubt it. I think the One Niner thing is just Kurt Sutter's nod to his days on The Shield, not an indication that they take place in the same universe. Though I will admit the idea of Vic facing off against Samcro is plenty bad rear end.

BrandonGK fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 9, 2009

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

I'm glad I watched SoA after the shield or I would have always though of dutch as a creepy stalker.

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl

BrandonGK posted:

Seeing as both shows have Jay Karnes playing different characters I doubt it. I think the One Niner thing is just Kurt Sutter's nod to his days on The Shield, not an indication that they take place in the same universe. Though I will admit the idea of Vic facing off against Samcro is plenty bad rear end.

There are plenty of series where actors have played multiple characters out there.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

metachronos posted:

I'm glad I watched SoA after the shield or I would have always though of dutch as a creepy stalker.

I always thought his character on Sons of Anarchy was basically how Dutch would have turned out if he got pushed a little too far over the edge by Danny or Tina. Or maybe the cat.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
:siren::woop: NEW SHAWN RYAN SHOW ON THE DISTANT HORIZON:siren::woop:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118007067.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

I'm not quite sure what I expected Shawn Ryan to look like, but it wasn't anything like that.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Dead Snoopy posted:

Sounds interesting. On the one hand it sounds like it could just be a Shield-lite (which would be acceptable enough), on the other the use of Chicago as a character, and dealing more with the underground and the politics of the city sounds almost Wire-esque.

I'm not worried about it being described as mostly open-shut cases, because that's pretty much how the Shield started out. Just as long as whatever happens in the pilot that has overarching ramifications for the plot doesn't include shooting a cop-uh.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I've been binging through the series and I just started season 7. There's something I'm not clear on though (beginning in season 6).

Why does Shane start working with the Armenians? Was it just to make some dirty money? It seemed like an absurdly stupid idea even by Shane's standards. I feel like I'm being overwhelmed with how much "Shane is a goddamn idiot" has driven the plot.

And can someone explain the whole gas station thing to me? Why did Shane even need to get involved if they were going to kill that guy anyway?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

ultrachrist posted:

Why does Shane start working with the Armenians? Was it just to make some dirty money? It seemed like an absurdly stupid idea even by Shane's standards. I feel like I'm being overwhelmed with how much "Shane is a goddamn idiot" has driven the plot.

It's been a while, but wasn't it to get them off Vic and his family's back?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Junkenstein posted:

It's been a while, but wasn't it to get them off Vic and his family's back?

That happens eventually, but only after he fucks things up beyond belief by telling the mob boss' daughter that Vic robbed the money train

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

whats_his_face posted:

Now, my only question is Why did it take the writers until season 7 to give Ronnie lines?

Ronnie is handled strangely. Apparently he was a last minute recruitment to the caste, but he spends so many seasons doing and saying nothing that it's difficult to see why he's there in terms of plot. It got to the point where other characters would refer to "Gardocki" and my girlfriend and I would turn to each other and ask "Who? Is that the guy with the beard?"

Ronnie only starts getting lines and plot after the strike team has lost so many members - Lem is dead, Shane has gone rogue - that Mackey has to interact with him. It's like a background character being promoted to a major role so the lead isn't talking to himself.

It's a great series. To play devil's advocate, there's a few too many "Shane Does Something Stupid" plotlines although he does display cunning and competence late in the run. The box of intel functions as an irritating MacGuffin / Deus Ex Machina for far too long, and I felt that most of season 6 and the first half of season 7 were spinning wheels to avoid getting to the climax. But those few episodes were almost unbearably tense.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dead Snoopy posted:

That's nice to hear but The Unit was pretty awful so I won't get excited until I hear a little more info. Also it sounds like this will be on Fox rather than FX, which is even worse.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I'm actually surprised nobody has done a cop show focusing on Internal Affairs. These guys are Big Badge Hunting against trained, dangerous opponents...their own kind. Definite potential.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Dead Snoopy posted:

I'm actually surprised nobody has done a cop show focusing on Internal Affairs. These guys are Big Badge Hunting against trained, dangerous opponents...their own kind. Definite potential.

Internal Affairs is a strange caricature in most cop shows. They show up with greased back hair and dark suits, put the pressure on honest cops, blunder into cases and act like standover men. (See Law & Order, NYPD Blue, etc.) They should be a rich mine for stories, but mostly they're drawn as the enemy,

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
My favorite moment of the show so far is when Dutch plants evidence, drives away, and doesn't even make it like half a block before running in and de-planting it.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
HAHAHAHA

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

outlier posted:

Internal Affairs is a strange caricature in most cop shows. They show up with greased back hair and dark suits, put the pressure on honest cops, blunder into cases and act like standover men. (See Law & Order, NYPD Blue, etc.) They should be a rich mine for stories, but mostly they're drawn as the enemy,

For sure and it would be interesting to see different members embrace or struggle with that perception against a serialized arc. I'm thinking each season is an elaborate version of that Richad Gere movie Internal Affairs. Hell, I'd even laugh if you could get James Gandolfini hmself in the lead, enjoying being the prick.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

metachronos posted:

I'm not quite sure what I expected Shawn Ryan to look like, but it wasn't anything like that.

You should check out the last disk of Season 1; they have a humorous side-by-side of Ryan and Chiklis dressed the same with a "teaser" of Season 2.

Anyhoo, I'm working my way through Season 7, and I just don't understand why I don't see more of this scene from S1, E10:

Shane and Lem are arguing over who's guilty of the stripper muggings; Lem points to Tulips; Shane (who was banging Tulips) points to Tulips' boyfriend. LOOK AT THE HALOS!!! Hey, I think it's cool, planned or not.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

In case anyone is wondering, Dutch is in Burn Notice. And he's awesome.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
drat, I started this thread 5 months ago, and now I finished the show, just now.

Wow. What an ending for everybody. As has been mentioned before, the ending was perfect for everyone.

Nobody in this thread has mentioned how amazing Mara was at the end.

And the use of X and Concrete Blonde, to me 2 of the ultimate LA bands, was beyond perfection.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 24, 2009

Makarov_
Jun 10, 2006

"It's our year" - Makarov_ January 2018

Casao posted:

In case anyone is wondering, Dutch is in Burn Notice. And he's awesome.

Claudette (CCH Pounder) is in Warehouse 13, but as a minor recurring character, I believe. I've only seen 1 1/2 episodes of that show. She also has a role in James Cameron's Avatar - set for release in December.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I've been terrified of entering this thread for fear of spoilers. Just trying to google up what the sound clips used during the theme song led me to a final season spoiler. Now I get a chance to plow through it free from fear.

All told it was a really impressive series. I was originally kind of unimpressed as the first episode progressed until the final minute of the episode where it managed to pique my interest. Unfortunately it kind of spun down a great deal where it took a long time before his actions swayed from anti-hero territory into something distinctly black. But even still it was very entertaining seeing him try and maintain in the face of greater inquiry into his grey hat actions.

The supporting cast was very good. I was worried that Waggenbach was going to be a cartoon but they nicely expanded his character and he became one of the more memorable ones. Unfortunately they moved Billings into his role as cartoon but he showed some sparks. Vic's wife really turned into a great choice as well and had to carry some heavy acting baggage.

Not everything worked just fine but overall the plotting seemed to all deliver on the promise of the setup. There were hiccups (I recall Corrine going from being abducted and stuck in a cargo container to just hours later smiling and supporting Vic as he goes to a hearing on his conduct, which didn't work for me at all). They were able to create some stuff which delivered like gangbusters, Lem's deal being a solid example of all that.

I found the final season to be fairly good but overall it has to be a bit of a letdown. It was so madcap and frantic that the turns of fate strayed into a bit of an absurd level like a season of 24. I wasn't sold on how they decided to resolve Kavanaugh's scenario and it felt like they shortcut too quickly from him being a line stepper to full on crossing it. I was also a little unhappy that Shane's spiral didn't end up with some outreach to Diro and her Armenian uprising. This was made all the more cruel by way of the special features on that season's DVDs which seemed to suggest they had more stories with her. :(

All that said, I didn't want the series to end with roses and happiness so I can't complain too heavily. Very happy I got the opportunity to watch all the DVDs and deleted scenes because I developed a lot of interest in how they made the series and figured out what scenes to cut. Overall, they made some really great choices in how to keep things lean and moving. Some very memorable scenes and just the right kind of line pushing that didn't feel like NYPD Blue stunts (we've got Manass!). 5/5 series, would recommend to anyone who isn't put off by the content.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can get the complete series set that's coming out on Tuesday for an amazing $89 at wherehouse.com until November 5. Just use coupon code THIRTYTHIRTY.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
I watched the entire run of the series about two months. It was pretty enjoyable and had some good serial plotting, I guess my main issue with it is a lot of characters just kinda fell to the side and their plots never got as interesting as in those first years, especially Julien, Tina, and Aceveda. The plot from Season 2 ending onwards was pretty well done and some episodes were unbelievably tense especially when Margos is dropping bodies left and right and getting close to the Strike Team.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

doctor thodt posted:

You can get the complete series set that's coming out on Tuesday for an amazing $89 at wherehouse.com until November 5. Just use coupon code THIRTYTHIRTY.

drat! Thanks dude. Been wanting to get into a run with this show as my wife's never seen it and I still haven't seen season seven. I'm pretty gay for Dutch as far as favourite cop characters go but trying to tell the wife he's 'like Prez from the Wire and Tim from Homicide, but weird as gently caress' really undersells the character.

Also, CCH Pounder supremacy. She wasn't the most defined character but her and Dutch really grounded the show. The way her character contrasted with Vic and the Strike Team was incredibly well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I was always hoping Tina would catch a bullet before the series ended.

• Locked thread