Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

TheKingPuuChuu posted:

I'd love to know more about the experience, I'm currently looking for work, and with some of these place, if I can convince them otherwise about people with Agency experience, that'd be awesome.

I've found that most of the superficial job qualification criteria can be totally nullified by really strong, solid work. It is, after all, what you're ultimately going to be hired for.

If you're having difficulty getting your foot in the door, step back and reconsider your portfolio and it's presentation. You may want to also consider inventing small design jobs for yourself to update your portfolio in interesting ways (and also work free of a lot of the annoying, bureaucratic aspects of the design process). You may also want to make some sort of physical leave-behind present mailer, and register to as many portfolio social networking services as possible. Basically, prostitute yourself.

Also, totally echoing what quirex said. In my experience, a lot of the so-called agency "prestige" is affection developed as a way of feeling better as what is usually just straight-up exploitative work environments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I have a few more questions:

I'm currently a senior animation student so in one year I will be finishing my degree.

Is it absolutely necessary to get an internship before anyone will even think about hiring me? Or could I get hired despite my lack of experience if my portfolio is good enough?
I ask this because I'm Mexican and I want to work in the US. With my student Visa I can get a one year extension if I get an internship, but I would much rather straight out get a job if possible (with a new working visa). It seems however that the internship is the safer bet.

That said, would it be a good idea to send both job and internship applications to the companies? Or should I just stick with one of those?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Might as well send both. You'll either get one or none.

Well, or both depending on how well you do at an internship.

CherryBomb
Feb 20, 2006

I graduated from SVA in May and became jaded about my animation degree almost instantly. While I gained a lot of technical/artistic knowledge, I have little to no desire to be an actual animator. You either have to be very, very talented to make a name for yourself, and/or be willing to do a lot of work for nothing. I am neither. Also, working from job to job without knowing what the near future holds just isn't the kind of thing I want to do. Part of me wishes I had gone for illustration instead, but that might just be a grass-is-greener type mentality. Plus I'd be in the same boat.

I ended up working with the administrative side of my school a lot and took more of a liking to being an office jockey. My resume is full of teaching/administrative work, but I'm worried that there might be some kind of BFA stigma when applying for non-creative jobs.

All that being said, I definitely don't want to abandon my creative ambitions. I'd hate for it to turn into a bored housewife hobby type thing. Part of me feels like I am abandoning my ~hopes and dreams~, but stability is also important to me. Has anyone had something similar happen to them? How did you keep pursuing art without it being the main focus of your career?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

ceebee posted:

Might as well send both. You'll either get one or none.

Well, or both depending on how well you do at an internship.

Thanks. That's what I'll probably end up doing.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

CherryBomb posted:

I ended up working with the administrative side of my school a lot and took more of a liking to being an office jockey. My resume is full of teaching/administrative work, but I'm worried that there might be some kind of BFA stigma when applying for non-creative jobs.

This is the thing. Usually if you're doing art you should be willing to eat sleep and breathe art. I'm in the opposite position as you, and I used to work office/desk/customer related job constantly while only being able to have art as a hobby. These days I'm ready to really settle down and get my portfolio going good enough to where I can land an entertainment industry job. From there work my rear end off because unlike office jobs you actually have something to show for you work, besides some bonus or a pat on the back from your boss.

But honestly, if you don't want to work to make a name for yourself, or do a lot of work to prove you're a good animator then you probably don't deserve to be in the field. You really do have to love art and dedicate yourself to it.

I guess you should look into going back to school because you probably won't be able to land that many teaching/admin jobs without at least a BFA.

CherryBomb
Feb 20, 2006

ceebee posted:

This is the thing. Usually if you're doing art you should be willing to eat sleep and breathe art. I'm in the opposite position as you, and I used to work office/desk/customer related job constantly while only being able to have art as a hobby. These days I'm ready to really settle down and get my portfolio going good enough to where I can land an entertainment industry job. From there work my rear end off because unlike office jobs you actually have something to show for you work, besides some bonus or a pat on the back from your boss.

But honestly, if you don't want to work to make a name for yourself, or do a lot of work to prove you're a good animator then you probably don't deserve to be in the field. You really do have to love art and dedicate yourself to it.

I guess you should look into going back to school because you probably won't be able to land that many teaching/admin jobs without at least a BFA.

I have my BFA. I said I graduated in my first sentence. I also said I don't really see myself in the animation field, so the "you don't deserve it" comment was unnecessary. And I did do my best. I lived in front of a Cintiq for ten months making my thesis film. A lot of my peers blew my film out of the water with their own, but I'm fine with that because I knew I gave it my best shot. I'm very grateful for the experiences/skills I gained at school, which is why I don't regret getting into the program. It's just when graduation time came around I thought, "Well, that was cool, what's next?"

I guess the solution to my problem is to just keep drawing, keep doing art, keep hanging out with my incredibly talented friends, etc. That way, I won't feel like art is a thing of the past, or that I'm not "allowed" to do it because the financial factors of my life might be art free. I guess I just don't want to admit that I'm inevitably downgrading it to a hobby, but nothing's ever set in stone.

Octagon N
Aug 21, 2007
Hey guys, first time posting here. Basically, my story is I have a BA (for Visual Arts), and recently got a certificate for 3D animation (a year-long program). Since then, I've been doing a little freelance artwork, some 3D modeling and animating, but nothing near big.

If anyone has any tips, for either finding sustaining work on freelance, or any ideas of where to look for full-time 3D jobs in the DC/MD/VA area...it's just frustrating since everywhere is looking for just a little more experience.

By the way, my website's here. Unfortunately, I don't know too much about HTML yet (although I am brushing up on Flash), so the website's basically made with iWeb.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

marshmallard posted:

OK, well let me know if you do. I work in advertising in London and I could introduce you to some folks if you wanted.

Hey this is from a while ago, but I was thinking are there any internship opportunities or are they only available to UK students?

We really should chat. I've wanted to leave the US for a while and figured an internship will help get my foot in the door abroad. I figured I'd have plenty of time to plan if I start now.

clinteractive
Mar 19, 2007

Son of man, hast thou seen what the ancients of the house of Israel do in the dark, every man in the chambers of his imagery?
I spent the past week applying for internships--about fifteen of them. I have received my first nibble back. The wording makes it sound like they are very interested in me. They are asking about when i can start among a few other similar questions.

This internship is definitely not in my top choices of those for which I applied. Honestly, i'm not sure if i would take it even if it was my only offer (it requires relocation which involves sacrificing a part-time job that may very well be giving me just as much appropriate experience as the internship). but, that is easy to say on this side of what could be a full list of rejections from the other internship opportunities.

So, I think i would like to keep their interest in my pocket in case nothing else comes along.

Is this acceptable? If so, how do I communicate this appropriately?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

cheese eats mouse posted:

Hey this is from a while ago, but I was thinking are there any internship opportunities or are they only available to UK students?

We really should chat. I've wanted to leave the US for a while and figured an internship will help get my foot in the door abroad. I figured I'd have plenty of time to plan if I start now.

The way it works for designers and 3D/motion graphics dudes is that you try and get unpaid placements. Work experience, basically. It sucks, I know. They're not arranged formally, you just pepper agencies with cool or interesting applications and hope you'll get your foot in the door. They definitely wouldn't mind you being American and not a UK student, though.

Prylex3
Apr 22, 2003

I have an internship interview in the coming week. The weather concerns me. With ~100 F temperatures I am worried that wearing a suit to the interview is going to be a disaster. I do not want to be underdressed, but would a shirt/tie/slack combo without the jacket be acceptable in the heat of the summer?

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Prylex3 posted:

I have an internship interview in the coming week. The weather concerns me. With ~100 F temperatures I am worried that wearing a suit to the interview is going to be a disaster. I do not want to be underdressed, but would a shirt/tie/slack combo without the jacket be acceptable in the heat of the summer?

How old are you and how formal is the company? It might be okay, but if I were you I'd travel to the interview in just a tee or undershirt, and put on your shirt, tie, and jacket as close to the interview time as possible (obviously do not let anyone from the company see you before you're fully dressed - change in your car or a nearby Starbucks bathroom or something). Then pray that the office is air conditioned.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
SO YOU WANT TO GO INTO ADVERTISING...

(I thought about making this a separate thread, but this is definitely career advice).

I've been in graphic design and advertising for 15 years, give or take. And I started late. I loved the challenge of reaching out to the common man with a message - every day - no - every design was a competition to be heard over the next designer. Get through the noise with a smarter message, a better layout, a cleaner concept - it was great.

This was back in 92 and before internets. I was doing print design for a rock club that booked some of the biggest national acts. It was a great time to be doing design, and the freedoms bestowed upon me allowed me to make great rock posters and meet some of my heroes.

And then I quit that and went into vacation travel advertising.

And then I left that to go to school. While I was in design school, I did the layout for algebra books. That was hell.

Fast-forward 12 years and here I am, a Creative Director of sorts for an in-house ad agency for weather.com, designing ads for external clients. Some campaigns have been fantastic and rewarding, but for the most part, I've been designing the things that people hate. So much so, that they'll blog about it, post screenshots of my work, and what the hell, my work even appears in major advertising websites. Always with complaints about the sad state of online advertising.

Don't get me wrong. Some of the poo poo we throw up is crap. It's annoying, the client WANTS it to be annoying and isn't interested in less obnoxious solutions, until it's their ad thrown up on the article talking about the sad state of advertising.

So. What I'm saying is, don't do it. Sure, there's the occasional ad campaign that wins high marks (http://halloween2-movie.com/banners/H2_mockBook_300x600.html) but for the most part, you're selling the new line of Sham-Wows, with the same pizzazz and bling that was on the last one, that's been mocked everywhere. Or you're being asked again to make something that's never been done before so they'll get more press about it. And they want it today.

I've loved working in advertising. I've enjoyed taking the truly lovely ideas and at least rolling them in glitter. I've enjoyed educating our clients so that their ads aren't so much annoying as they are eye-catching. But there's days - months sometimes - where those opportunities don't exist. All you're doing is scooping up the poo poo, throwing it on the page. You want to tell yourself you're making the user experience better because, poo poo, you should have seen what they WANTED to run, but in the end, nobody gives a gently caress. All they care about is that you were a part of the team that's contributing to the whoring of the universe.

Some folks can live with that. I mean, hell, I can. Tomorrow? It's a new day with new chances to roll new turds in glitter. But those really cool tv shows about ad agencies - the ones that pulled me in and told me being an ad-man was hip and cool and out there - gently caress those shows.

Don't get me wrong - those agencies exist and I'd love to work for them... but even THEN, you're still talking to a client. And the client doesn't know poo poo about design, messaging, concepts. All they know is that the Snuggee looks best on their wife, so by god, put that bitch in the commercial or gently caress off.

Oh - and - good luck with your career! Have fun! It's supposed to be zany and fun!

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

magnificent7 posted:

Fast-forward 12 years and here I am, a Creative Director of sorts for an in-house ad agency for weather.com, designing ads for external clients.

Don't get me wrong. Some of the poo poo we throw up is crap. It's annoying, the client WANTS it to be annoying and isn't interested in less obnoxious solutions, until it's their ad thrown up on the article talking about the sad state of advertising.
Stop putting up ads that pop up a big fruity gum picture over the drat weather map. you're weather.com not big fruity gum picture.com.

Pantothenate
Nov 26, 2005

This is an art gallery, my friend--and this is art.

magnificent7 posted:

SO YOU WANT TO GO INTO ADVERTISING...

My god, man--this is perchance one of the most depressing things I've read all day. And I just read through the Hitler Auditions that are sitting in the front page goldmine.

I'm at a stage right now where I'm willing to grasp at just about anything that's willing to hire a writing student. The only newspapers that have been hiring since I graduated are out in the middle of nowhere, all of the major publishing houses have been axing people left right and center, I've friends who have been trying to get into corporate communications for ages (another facet I've been trying) without so much as a nibble... hell, I've even thought of going back to school for web design so that I can try to get a job blogging about Brangelina for MSN's intrusive Messenger splash screen.

I've also considered going back to school for a simple trade and settling for life as a blue-collar luddite who went to school for five years so that he could write silly little stories for his internet friends.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Defenestration posted:

Stop putting up ads that pop up a big fruity gum picture over the drat weather map. you're weather.com not big fruity gum picture.com.
You mean, the ad mentioned two weeks ago in Advertising Age Online? The ad that's loving killed my interest in advertising? That one?

http://adage.com/digital/article?article_id=138554

Pantothenate, you've picked the higher ground. As designers, we're typically at the mercy of the concept. As writers, you ARE the concept quite often, so you're driving the better ads. Unfortunately, there are very few groups out there who see the virtue to a wordsmith/ideaman. Take your writing skills and push to become a copywriter for an agency. gently caress newpapers. If you get a gig writing at a place like Tribal or Ogilvy, you'll be treated like a king... well... an idiot savant at the least. Unfortunately, when it's time for the axe to fall, everybody assumes they can write so you guys are the first to go.

That Mentos ad? That's the straw for me. I've been pushing to develop ads that are intrusive but crafty, attention-getting, but not in a goddamn welcome-to-vegas kind of way. Along comes THAT client with THAT ad (and I promise, that ad is smaller than the original one). I went into great lengths to explain that the ad would annoy some people. And then I heard that they wanted to run it EVERY loving day for a month. Everyday.

Do you know why the first comment after mine mentioned Mentos, and not Disney, or Ford, or Home Depot, or any of the other hundreds of advertisers who run ads just like that one? Because THAT ad slaps people in the face, day after day, over and over. So of COURSE it's become notorious. And honestly, I finally gave up the battle and assumed they wanted the notorious level of attention. I mean hell, they just got a screen shot of their ad on Ad Age. You can't BUY that kind of publicity!

Well. You can if you have the budget to run your ad everyday on the homepage of weather.com. So, in a way, they did buy it. But now they're shocked and amazed that they've been called out and want me to tell them how I misled them.

As designers/concept people, we are the whipping-boys of the advertising food chain. They want the creative now now now, and then if it fails, we're the ones going under the bus.

Don't get me wrong - it's a very exciting industry but I'm loving ground down from episodes like this.

And as a final disclaimer - I love LOVE the company. Prior to weather, I'd spent 2-3 years at every place that I designed. I've been with weather for 7 years and I do hope to stay there... I just gotta find a way to get past this kind of bullshit. I hope the agency that built that ad takes the time to read the article and think about it. It DOES make a good point.

Sorry for the long-winded rant. There's days that I love the job. Hell, I invented a technology that has a patent. Hell yeah, I've got a patent. In advertising no less. But poo poo like this just baffles me.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
Oh dear god I hate that ad. I just want to see the temperature or the rain forecast, not loving Mentos falling all over the screen. I could never find the close button fast enough. I made a point to never buy Mentos ever because of that ad.

I guess doing sleazy projects for clients like that is part of the game though. I'm in industrial design, and in school we got to know that not all design is cool and awesome, and that you have lots of lovely, obnoxious and/or unsustainable products in industrial design that make you feel lovely designing them, especially since you're making physical items that will inevitably end up in a landfill one day.

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
If you're a moderately successful writer who had been published in reputable publications, are universities willing to forgive the lack of masters or PhD if you want to teach courses at them?

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

MyStereoHasMono posted:

If you're a moderately successful writer who had been published in reputable publications, are universities willing to forgive the lack of masters or PhD if you want to teach courses at them?

No, the world is full of moderately successful writers who do have advanced degrees. But you could find work teaching for some sort of workshop, probably.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

MyStereoHasMono posted:

2 books minimum. Preferably some kind of award winning

without an mfa you need to be more than moderately successful.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Those of you looking for design internships in the UK, the "It's Nice That" blog has just opened a jobs page and there are quite a few on offer there: http://www.itsnicethat.com/jobs

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
How important are academics when applying to RISD and Pratt? I hear they're up there on the importance list and that makes me nervous.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
I got into Pratt with a massive unsolicited merit scholarship, and my unweighted GPA was a 2.9. My SAT (old version) was 1380, which was higher than their average. Though another factor could be that my high school was an academically rigorous private school.

But then I got rejected from RISD.

In the end I turned down Pratt to go to CMU, which as a whole is probably more academically focused, but I still got in with my lame GPA.

I think you can make up a less-than-stellar GPA with an outstanding portfolio, good recommendations, good essay, and a general upward trend in your lovely GPA (I started with a 2.4 freshman year and my senior year I had a 3.5). But yeah, if you're going into a talent-based major, they aren't going to give a poo poo if you're good at Spanish or whatever, only that you're not completely stupid and/or lazy.

How academic and unlazy they want you to be can vary though. I've heard that at Pratt, they basically accept anyone who's not a dolt and with a portfolio that meets their specs, and offers scholarships to the people they actually want.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

magnificent7 posted:

Do you know why the first comment after mine mentioned Mentos, and not Disney, or Ford, or Home Depot, or any of the other hundreds of advertisers who run ads just like that one? Because THAT ad slaps people in the face, day after day, over and over. So of COURSE it's become notorious. And honestly, I finally gave up the battle and assumed they wanted the notorious level of attention. I mean hell, they just got a screen shot of their ad on Ad Age. You can't BUY that kind of publicity!

The top sales dude for Google came to speak at the annual meeting where I work (a web consulting firm partially in advertising) and his whole spiel was on this. He basically flies around the world trying to convince CMOs not to do this poo poo anymore but it's next to impossible because they were all raised and made their careers on 'disruption' as the driving force in marketing.

The 80s were full of gurus and 'landmark' books about how to get attention and break through the noise of marketing message saturation. When you apply that to the internet you get that Mentos ad along with every other "gently caress the monkey win an ipod" flashing bullshit. He was trying to make the case that Google is different because the ads are actually relevant to what you're looking at or searching for which I agree with to an extent. At least there's some hope that's it's kind of a generational thing and may get better as marketing leadership gets replaced with more 'digital native' people.

I recently moved jobs and I'm just glad I don't make banners anymore, especially full page takeovers and other such nonsense that gives Flash such a bad name.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

Authentic You posted:

I got into Pratt with a massive unsolicited merit scholarship, and my unweighted GPA was a 2.9. My SAT (old version) was 1380, which was higher than their average. Though another factor could be that my high school was an academically rigorous private school.

But then I got rejected from RISD.

In the end I turned down Pratt to go to CMU, which as a whole is probably more academically focused, but I still got in with my lame GPA.

I think you can make up a less-than-stellar GPA with an outstanding portfolio, good recommendations, good essay, and a general upward trend in your lovely GPA (I started with a 2.4 freshman year and my senior year I had a 3.5). But yeah, if you're going into a talent-based major, they aren't going to give a poo poo if you're good at Spanish or whatever, only that you're not completely stupid and/or lazy.

How academic and unlazy they want you to be can vary though. I've heard that at Pratt, they basically accept anyone who's not a dolt and with a portfolio that meets their specs, and offers scholarships to the people they actually want.

Thanks, that is pretty reassuring haha.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
The guy who was in charge of my "internship" aka free labor a few months back is getting rid of some of his desktop towers. They're super-fast, loaded with design software and some other stuff I don't have access to since my old, no-longer-supported version of Photoshop died on me. In exhange he wants 50 hours of free design work.

Even I know this is a ripoff, considering he still owes me about $180 for commuting costs, but assuming I were to write those off, what would a reasonable amount of free design work be? I still like the guy, and he's thrown a few paid gigs my way, but I refuse to be taken advantage of... again.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
50 hours at say $30/hour (after taxes) is $1500, so it kind of depends on the specs of the towers, if you're getting more than one, what software, and are the licenses being transferred to you legally. Calculate it all out, decide if it's worthwhile, and get it all in writing.

On another note, it's not like your portfolio couldn't use more work, 50 hours of subsidized legit work has value in itself.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Eww. He got back to me with the computer's specs and it seems a bit ancient. A four year-old computer with 1GB of RAM, 500 gigs of storage and he didn't mention the processor speed. As for the CS4 design suite, I'd only be willing to pay what he paid for it, which is nothing. So yes, it would not be worth the 50 hours of design work. I might try for one of the faster computers he's selling instead.

The work itself, when I interned with him, tended to be low-end stuff like magnificent7 detailed in his story. It sounds like he wants to outsource my labor like he was starting to when I quit, and those rush jobs never produced anything worth presenting.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
50 hours x £20/hour = £1000.

You could do 50 ‘hours’ by which I mean sit there for 50 hours reading blogs/on Twitter & Facebook/working on personal/other work and do maybe 5 hours of actual work?

— — —

In other news - where do you guys stand on ripoffs and copyright and stuff?

I don’t want to go too much into it on public forumz but basically a family friend is hiring me to do websites for local businesses that she’s been cold-calling/selling to.

Money is cool but when she asks me to take images from Google or directly from competitors I don’t know what to say.

Do it ethically and insist she goes with Commons images (or buys Royalty Free), or just do what I’m told to get paid?

If you want to see some exclusive images of the hideousness I’ve been asked to copy or how I’m trying to salvage something from a terrible wireframe, come into #C or email me at hello at designed by gold dot com.

— — —

Don’t think I posted my portfolio mailer. Had a good response to it so far and it’s pretty cool having something that folds up to A5 to give interviewers rather than carrying around a massive portfolio and stuff. Marsh I was going to send you one but I only printed a few and ran out :(. Will save you one from the next run though :)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Zurich posted:

Money is cool but when she asks me to take images from Google or directly from competitors I don’t know what to say.
As far as competitor's sites that's a big no-no. I mean it's all a big no-no but the competitor's sites thing is the most likely to result in a lawsuit. Just find some very cheap stuff and offer it as an alternative.

It's easy to say "refuse to do it" but we all gotta eat.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Zurich posted:

Don’t think I posted my portfolio mailer. Had a good response to it so far and it’s pretty cool having something that folds up to A5 to give interviewers rather than carrying around a massive portfolio and stuff. Marsh I was going to send you one but I only printed a few and ran out :(. Will save you one from the next run though :)

Aww yay :) looks like a great piece, I'm looking forward to having one!

So who have you sent them to so far? Or is that better to discuss by email?

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

I am a senior in the Bachelors of Fine Arts Studio program and am interning for a local mainly student and community run magazine. I initially got the internship to do some design, illustration and to redesign their website. Six other students are volunteering doing a mix of photography, illustration and design while I manage and assign them projects for articles. This is currently my only internship I have and plan to be in school for two more semesters before graduation. What would be the appropriate title is for my internship? I am directing and managing, but listing that with no prior apprenticeship leads me to think it would not be taken seriously. I did comics for my school news paper in high school and know better than to put that on my resume, I am just curious how seriously the internship would be taken.

daspope fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 16, 2009

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008

marshmallard posted:

Aww yay :) looks like a great piece, I'm looking forward to having one!

So who have you sent them to so far? Or is that better to discuss by email?
I guess its ok to say that I got an internship at Tank Magazine seeing as it will be on my CV (brought it to interview and left it behind, would like to think it had something to do with it) :) Working on some awesome projects, most fun ‘proper’ design stuff I’ve ever done.

re: copyright and such, decided to write a bit of a contract. this is where its at so far. want to limit the opportunity for clients to change their minds, basically. it’s not so bad when you’re doing print, but for web design it’s a pain in the arse when clients want to change things.
let me know what you think!
http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcsjdzgw_34hsncb7cs

I know I should probably seek legal advice but I thought I’d get creatives’ feedback first :)

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

daspope posted:

I am a senior in the Bachelors of Fine Arts Studio program and am interning for a local mainly student and community run magazine. I initially got the internship to do some design, illustration and to redesign their website. Six other students are volunteering doing a mix of photography, illustration and design while I manage and assign them projects for articles. This is currently my only internship I have and plan to be in school for two more semesters before graduation. What would be the appropriate title is for my internship? I am directing and managing, but listing that with no prior apprenticeship leads me to think it would not be taken seriously. I did comics for my school news paper in high school and know better than to put that on my resume, I am just curious how seriously the internship would be taken.

You'll list your title as whatever they assigned you when they took you on (Intern, Graphic Design & Project Management--if you're lucky). You show what you gained from the experience by listing tangible duties and accomplishments under the title on your resume and it should also show up in your portfolio. You'll be taken as seriously for this as you deserve--it all depends on the quality of the product and your ability to showcase your talents. Titles are meaningless, accomplishments matter.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

Zurich posted:

I guess its ok to say that I got an internship at Tank Magazine seeing as it will be on my CV (brought it to interview and left it behind, would like to think it had something to do with it) :) Working on some awesome projects, most fun ‘proper’ design stuff I’ve ever done.

re: copyright and such, decided to write a bit of a contract. this is where its at so far. want to limit the opportunity for clients to change their minds, basically. it’s not so bad when you’re doing print, but for web design it’s a pain in the arse when clients want to change things.
let me know what you think!
http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcsjdzgw_34hsncb7cs

I know I should probably seek legal advice but I thought I’d get creatives’ feedback first :)

Most of the section you've descriubed as the legal bit isn't legal bits at all, you're just describing what you're producing, not covering yourself in any way.
It's important for you that you get this right.

I use a version of this, editing the legal section as needed depending on the comission. I'm just about to join the AOI, and will have a talk with a legal advisor to clean up my version, but I'm pretty happy with it so far. Google other designers' contracts as well, and there should be country -specific samples available on the websites of most of the large design/illustration/artists associations.

EDIT:
Your contract should:

Protect your copyright, and ensure the work you do is used for the specific purpose outlined in the contract.
Ensure you own the copyright.
If you're licensing the work, what uses the license covers, how long this licence lasts, and over what areas (so for web work, say 5 years, and worldwide).
If you want to be credited (which I assume you do), ensure you have a right of credit, and ensure you've got a right of integrity (no changes to be made to your workwithout your permission) explicitly outlined in the contract.
Make sure you have a retention of title clause, so if you haven't been paid, the client doesn't have the right to use the work.

Then have payment terms as well, so for example interest charged if payment not recieved within 30 days etc.

RobertKerans fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 19, 2009

borealis
May 18, 2008

district 12 posted:

How important are academics when applying to RISD and Pratt? I hear they're up there on the importance list and that makes me nervous.

I know this is kind of an old post but I got into both RISD and Pratt with a 3.4 and a lot of AP classes to my name; it was obvious from my transcript that the only thing that dragged my GPA down was math. I ended up attending Pratt - and still do - because they gave me money and RISD didn't give me poo poo.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008

RobertKerans posted:

Most of the section you've descriubed as the legal bit isn't legal bits at all, you're just describing what you're producing, not covering yourself in any way.
It's important for you that you get this right.

I use a version of this, editing the legal section as needed depending on the comission. I'm just about to join the AOI, and will have a talk with a legal advisor to clean up my version, but I'm pretty happy with it so far. Google other designers' contracts as well, and there should be country -specific samples available on the websites of most of the large design/illustration/artists associations.

EDIT:
Your contract should:

Protect your copyright, and ensure the work you do is used for the specific purpose outlined in the contract.
Ensure you own the copyright.
If you're licensing the work, what uses the license covers, how long this licence lasts, and over what areas (so for web work, say 5 years, and worldwide).
If you want to be credited (which I assume you do), ensure you have a right of credit, and ensure you've got a right of integrity (no changes to be made to your workwithout your permission) explicitly outlined in the contract.
Make sure you have a retention of title clause, so if you haven't been paid, the client doesn't have the right to use the work.

Then have payment terms as well, so for example interest charged if payment not recieved within 30 days etc.
You’re fantastic, thank you so much.

Will post again when it’s edited.

Dr. Notadoctor
Aug 26, 2008
Anybody know anything about the art department of UMBC? (University of Maryland Baltimore County)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d00kie
Feb 22, 2003

You must have been the Dance Commander.. giving out the orders for fun.

pipes! posted:

In my experience, a lot of the so-called agency "prestige" is affection developed as a way of feeling better as what is usually just straight-up exploitative work environments.

After leaving a packaging job for a manufacturer that I really liked, for $7000 more a year and 60 miles shaved off my daily commute for an agency that was right around the corner, I thought it was the right thing.
I thought "Yay more money! Less commute! I'll get to learn a lot!"
It was great at first.. working on video game packaging, some design, primarily production. Then it turned into 12 hour days, then some days I'd be there from 8am until 4am fixing work that the egotistical art directors hosed up and rushed so they could go home on time, that was due the next day. Combined with the megalomaniac personalities a lot of agency owners have, it is definitely an exploitative work environment, you nailed it on the head. You get so caught up in the "culture" that is at the agency. The late night dinners, and they seem to do their best to make you feel like you're an important spoke in the wheel with sweet talk, or that you're a piece of poo poo and should count your lucky stars that you're employed by them, when it comes to raise time.
I have been unemployed for a week, and I am looking at going back to my old job for less money, and I couldn't be happier. There's definitely something to be said about quality of life, and most of the time an agency won't afford you that. I have heard the same story echoed over and over by friends at other agencies. I'd rather make less and go home on time, and not feel like poo poo at the end of the day.