Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand
Meh, and now I know. Thanks for the lesson. Sorry, I can't answer your question about Coversutra though. There's no obvious way to do this that I can see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonhalo
Feb 10, 2005
wtf

BDawg posted:

I currently have all of my music in Users/Me/Music/Artist Name/Album Name/Song.mp3.

When I buy stuff from iTunes Music Store, it goes to Users/Me/Music/iTunes/Stuff Goes Here.

When I turn on "Keep my music organized," will iTunes move my stuff around?

I'm curious about this as well.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

BDawg posted:

I currently have all of my music in Users/Me/Music/Artist Name/Album Name/Song.mp3.

When I buy stuff from iTunes Music Store, it goes to Users/Me/Music/iTunes/Stuff Goes Here.

When I turn on "Keep my music organized," will iTunes move my stuff around?

I think it will for all the stuff that you add to the library after the point that you turned it on. However, it won't move anything until you tell iTunes to consolidate the library. I'm about 90% sure it won't do it automatically when you turn on the organization preference.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Aardark posted:

A dash is longer — this is a dash. It's often incorrectly substituted with the minus sign or hyphen, which have different functions. The hyphen is used to join words (state‐of‐the‐art) or separate them into syllables (on‐line).

The minus sign (−), which is between the hyphen and dash in length, is the easiest to type, so most people use it for all three functions (as a hyphen, dash or minus) and don't realize the difference.

Hyphen

Minus

Dash

To answer your question, I believe if you edit /Applications/CoverSutra.app/Contents/Resources/DesktopWindow.nib using InterfaceBuilder you can change the hyphen.

I think you need to edit this bit:
code:
nowPlayingController.track.albumCoverSecondaryTitle

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
That does look like what I need, but after I edit and save it, the actual output on the desktop still doesn't change. I dunno, I'm probably doing something wrong, I've never used Interface Builder before.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Aardark posted:

That does look like what I need, but after I edit and save it, the actual output on the desktop still doesn't change. I dunno, I'm probably doing something wrong, I've never used Interface Builder before.

I know this might seem daft, but did you restart the app after making the changes? You'll have better luck with modifications of that sort over on the MacThemes forums, although they are a little pretentious.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Yeah, I restarted. Well, thanks for the help, I'll check out MacThemes if I don't figure this out by myself.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Alright, added some info on how to move your library to help keep that down, however WaffleImages seems to be down, so I can't add the images for it yet.

ElBob posted:

I've whipped up a script that finds the oldest (longest since played) track in a playlist and plays it, not messing with the current shuffle settings.

Paste that into script editor and save it in ~/Library/iTunes/Scripts

Should do what you want.

Holy crap, thank you, this does indeed do what I want. I almost missed that you did this because it's not the newest post of course. But thanks again!

IUG fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 16, 2009

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I hope this is the right thread for this question, but I just got myself a shiny new Touch, and iTunes in all of its time-tested shittiness is giving me a bunch of grief when I am trying to add some album artwork, and am hoping some of you wise goons can give me some help. Here's the story thus far.

1) I created an iTunes library on my laptop, pointing it at my local My Music directory (about 5GB), which it imports without much issue. About 10% of the tracks end up with album art that displays perfectly on the iPod.

2) Most of my music collection is on another machine on my home network. I don't want it in my iTunes library, since I don't ever plan to use iTunes for anything other than to load music onto the iPod, and it's easier to just drag & drop stuff from Windows Explorer right to the iPod. This too works mostly without a hitch.

3) I decided to try to manually add some album artwork to tart things up a bit. I use google image search to find an album cover jpg (looking for something about 200x200 or 300x300 in size). I go into iTunes, highlight the appropriate tracks and "Get Info". I double click on the "Artwork" box, point it at the jpg, and sometimes it instantly shows the cover thumbnail as expected and sometimes it freezes up for 10 seconds or so and shows a black box with a blue frame around it. In either case, when I hit "okay", it writes the data to the iPod as expected.

Here's where it gets weird. Clearly it has the cover image stored properly SOMEPLACE, but is unable to display it as expected. Example:

Here we see the cover art displaying properly in album flip mode (or whatever it's called), when it's adjacent to the currently selected album. But when I flip it one over...

...the cover art shows as all black. Then, if I bring up the album list...

...the cover art displays properly as a little icon in the corner. Though if I am listening to an individual track in portrait mode...

...it's all black again (where you'd normally see the white/grey musical note if there's no album art).

Also sometimes if I tap the screen to bring up the seek bar, the top strip of the cover art will display behind the seek bar, but nothing else.

I've tried this at least three times with different jpgs from different sources and have a 0% success rate. I'm running the latest iTunes (8.2.1.6) and a 2G Touch with the 3.0 OS.

Anybody have any idea what the hell? Am I doing something wrong with the import?

h_double fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 16, 2009

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I think the problem is that Album Artwork is stored in the iTunes Library folder. Sounded like you're storing your Library on one computer, and not the computer you're syncing with. However, when you paste album artwork it doesn't really add it to the mp3 file anymore. Apple likes to stick the files into it's weird little "Album Artwork" folder (in a way no human can easily navigate). I'm willing to bet those 10% of albums that do have artwork somehow had the artwork written into the mp3 file.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

IUG posted:

I think the problem is that Album Artwork is stored in the iTunes Library folder. Sounded like you're storing your Library on one computer, and not the computer you're syncing with. However, when you paste album artwork it doesn't really add it to the mp3 file anymore. Apple likes to stick the files into it's weird little "Album Artwork" folder (in a way no human can easily navigate). I'm willing to bet those 10% of albums that do have artwork somehow had the artwork written into the mp3 file.

My way of thinking is that I copy the songs directly onto my iPod, they sync perfectly, I can listen to them on the go just fine. Then, I want to add artwork directly to the iPod (which does have its own cover art database, I can see the files there with iPhone Explorer but they're in a proprietary database format). At that point I figure I can just sync the cover art directly to the iPod, my PC's Library shouldn't even factor into the equation.

But of course it does. I tried adding cover art to a couple of albums in the PC library, then dragging those to the iPod and lo and behold it works perfectly.

At least I know there's a "fix", if I want to install iTunes on my other PC, build a huge assed library index over there (on a PC that sits in the corner of a basement and is rarely touched by human hands), and reload all those albums + cover art onto the iPod, from THAT PC.

Thanks for all of your Genius ways, iTunes.

(also yeah, I think you're right that the files where the album art appeared automatically are ones where the artwork was embedded in the mp3)

h_double fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 16, 2009

br
Jul 22, 2004

br

Aardark posted:

Yeah, I restarted. Well, thanks for the help, I'll check out MacThemes if I don't figure this out by myself.

Email the developer and tell her you think she should be using a dash instead of a hyphen and explain why.

ElBob
May 16, 2004

Kaylee, what the hell's going on in the engine room? Were there monkeys?

IUG posted:

Holy crap, thank you, this does indeed do what I want. I almost missed that you did this because it's not the newest post of course. But thanks again!

Glad it works! I'm trying to think of a way to make it a bit (read: "way") more efficient, since it does have some issues with longer playlists.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ElBob posted:

Glad it works! I'm trying to think of a way to make it a bit (read: "way") more efficient, since it does have some issues with longer playlists.

Not sure that AppleScript can get/set the sort order of a playlist, but I'm thinking something like setting it to sort by date, get track 1, then reset the sort order to the previous state (kept in a variable), then play the track?

ElBob
May 16, 2004

Kaylee, what the hell's going on in the engine room? Were there monkeys?

Carthag posted:

Not sure that AppleScript can get/set the sort order of a playlist, but I'm thinking something like setting it to sort by date, get track 1, then reset the sort order to the previous state (kept in a variable), then play the track?

Yeah, I'm not sure there's any way to do that. That's how I tried at first, but I couldn't find any variable in the iTunes dictionary for that.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I'm having an issue with Audio Books - I bought the John Lennon book by Philip Norman on CD, I ripped it to AAC and changed the type to 'Audio Book' in iTunes. However, it doesn't 'remember my place', and I can't see a way to make chapters start as 'unplayed' (similar to the way podcasts work), so each time I need to resume the book, I have to remember what chapter I was on, and then skip around finding the spot. I'm thinking that I'm doing something boneheaded, because this seems like it should be something easy that I'm making hard.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

porktree posted:

I'm having an issue with Audio Books - I bought the John Lennon book by Philip Norman on CD, I ripped it to AAC and changed the type to 'Audio Book' in iTunes. However, it doesn't 'remember my place', and I can't see a way to make chapters start as 'unplayed' (similar to the way podcasts work), so each time I need to resume the book, I have to remember what chapter I was on, and then skip around finding the spot. I'm thinking that I'm doing something boneheaded, because this seems like it should be something easy that I'm making hard.
Select files, right click, get info, last tab: remember playback position. You'll still have to remember which track you left off on, it won't visually bookmark your position in a playlist/album (unless you have an ipod touch/iphone).

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
^^^^^^^^^^^Awesome, thanks, this makes a huge difference.

ediment
Aug 2, 2007

Don't chain me down with your manners!
Is there a way to reset playcounts without having to delete and add my entire library?

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

ediment posted:

Is there a way to reset playcounts without having to delete and add my entire library?

Highlight
Right click
Reset play count

Chemical Shift
Aug 17, 2008
I'm planning on upgrading my OS soon, going from Window Vista to Windows 7. Since I can't upgrade, I'm going to lose all my song data and such. I don't particularly care about the data, but it would suck to lose my playlists. Is there any way to get my old playlists to work on the new install? I guess I'm mostly worried about my ratings playlist, which is set to 4+. I don't feel like re-rating close to 300 songs. Someone mentioned earlier that in order to get around it, you could make manual playlists (say, one for all the songs rated 4, and one for all the songs rated 5), and then I could rate all the "4" songs in one fell swoop, and etc. But I guess I don't understand how that would work, because if you can retain that playlist, why not the smart playlist too? Or did they mean something else that I didn't understand?

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Chemical Shift posted:

I'm planning on upgrading my OS soon, going from Window Vista to Windows 7. Since I can't upgrade, I'm going to lose all my song data and such. I don't particularly care about the data, but it would suck to lose my playlists. Is there any way to get my old playlists to work on the new install? I guess I'm mostly worried about my ratings playlist, which is set to 4+. I don't feel like re-rating close to 300 songs. Someone mentioned earlier that in order to get around it, you could make manual playlists (say, one for all the songs rated 4, and one for all the songs rated 5), and then I could rate all the "4" songs in one fell swoop, and etc. But I guess I don't understand how that would work, because if you can retain that playlist, why not the smart playlist too? Or did they mean something else that I didn't understand?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1329

Consolidate your iTunes library, find your My Music folder, and copy it over. Tada! Done.

The important file is iTunes Library.itl.

Chemical Shift
Aug 17, 2008

chimz posted:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1329

Consolidate your iTunes library, find your My Music folder, and copy it over. Tada! Done.

The important file is iTunes Library.itl.
Fantastic. Thanks a lot for the help!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I want to make a CD with the tracks in a random order, when I used to click shuffle I swear it used to shuffle around the tracks in the playlist and not just jump around what was playing. Is there any way to actually shuffle up the tracks within a playlist?

E: Figured it out, you have to click to organise by now playing or something and THEN click the shuffle button. How strange!

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

A5H posted:

I want to make a CD with the tracks in a random order, when I used to click shuffle I swear it used to shuffle around the tracks in the playlist and not just jump around what was playing. Is there any way to actually shuffle up the tracks within a playlist?

E: Figured it out, you have to click to organise by now playing or something and THEN click the shuffle button. How strange!

Could you be a bit more specific if possible? I'd like to learn how to do this too and I can't find anything remotely like "Organize by Now Playing". Usually I have to make a new smart playlist derived from the original playlist limited as chosen by random, which is really inefficient.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Dimentia posted:

Could you be a bit more specific if possible? I'd like to learn how to do this too and I can't find anything remotely like "Organize by Now Playing". Usually I have to make a new smart playlist derived from the original playlist limited as chosen by random, which is really inefficient.

On the very left, there is the number of the track within the playlist. To the right of that is where the speaker icon appears when playing a song. Click to organise by that column and then click shuffle :)

wahid
Dec 24, 2004

Ya shoulda been on the river in a-19-and-10...

They were drivin' the women, just like they drove the men...
If anybody has ever tried anything like this, I could really use your knowledge on it, good or bad:

Has anybody had success in using an iTunes library across both Mac & Windows with something like MacDrive before? I've got both Windows 7 and Leopard on my Mac Pro, and I've installed MacDrive 8 in Windows 7 to access my HFS+ formatted disks, like the one with all my media on it. It'd be pretty cool to have access to the same music files and their library info regardless of what OS I'm in...is this possible?

Or would doing this just be asking for a permissions/library file corrupting nightmare?

Edit: I'd also like to add that this would only be via Boot Camp. Accessing the library cross-OS at the same time via VM is definitely asking for trouble.

wahid fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 23, 2009

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

A5H posted:

On the very left, there is the number of the track within the playlist. To the right of that is where the speaker icon appears when playing a song. Click to organise by that column and then click shuffle :)

You're awesome. Thanks.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have around 35GB of music and today I am finally going to go buy an External HD to back it all up. What's the best way to do this? Just go to the iTunes music folder and right click, send to external? Or is there an option in iTunes?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

I have around 35GB of music and today I am finally going to go buy an External HD to back it all up. What's the best way to do this? Just go to the iTunes music folder and right click, send to external? Or is there an option in iTunes?

Just added this to the OP. Short version is to open it, pick the new folder location in iTunes, and then have it consolidate.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
I have about 11,000 sounds and I'd say about 5,000 of them now have messed up tags as a result of using SongGenie. Is there any software you'd recommend to repair all of them, preferably a software that would pull from a database?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I have a questions about switching to a Mac that involves iTunes.

Right now, I have a desktop running XP which has all of our MP3s. My wife has her own laptop with iTunes that she syncs with her iPhone and I have my own laptop.

If I get a new iMac, can we create multiple user accounts which have separate iTunes libraries? She doesn't need to see my music and I don't need to see hers.

Thanks!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

dexter6 posted:

I have a questions about switching to a Mac that involves iTunes.

Right now, I have a desktop running XP which has all of our MP3s. My wife has her own laptop with iTunes that she syncs with her iPhone and I have my own laptop.

If I get a new iMac, can we create multiple user accounts which have separate iTunes libraries? She doesn't need to see my music and I don't need to see hers.

Thanks!

If you hold down option, it lets you select libraries. Otherwise, you could just make more than one user account on the OS. But holding alt on startup sound the easiest if iTunes is the only thing you want to be different. I personally would try different accounts and use fast user switching.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

IUG posted:

If you hold down option, it lets you select libraries. Otherwise, you could just make more than one user account on the OS. But holding alt on startup sound the easiest if iTunes is the only thing you want to be different. I personally would try different accounts and use fast user switching.
I tried Googling it and couldn't find an exact answer. I did read that fast user switching (or whatever the Mac counterpart is) still only allows one copy of an application open at one time. This leads me to believe she and I will still only have one iTunes library file, etc.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

dexter6 posted:

I tried Googling it and couldn't find an exact answer. I did read that fast user switching (or whatever the Mac counterpart is) still only allows one copy of an application open at one time. This leads me to believe she and I will still only have one iTunes library file, etc.

If you'll have mulitple users logged in and using iTunes at the same time, you need separate libraries for each user, otherwise the library will get corrupted.

If you'll be logging in/out, you can set iTunes to use a non-standard location (such as an external drive) in the preferences, and use the same library for each account. Then move the iTunes folder from ~/Music and make each user's folder a link to that moved folder. You might need to gently caress around with permissions too.

Edit: I misunderstood. By default each user has their own library unless you change something in the options.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Carthag posted:

If you'll have mulitple users logged in and using iTunes at the same time, you need separate libraries for each user, otherwise the library will get corrupted.

If you'll be logging in/out, you can set iTunes to use a non-standard location (such as an external drive) in the preferences, and use the same library for each account. Then move the iTunes folder from ~/Music and make each user's folder a link to that moved folder. You might need to gently caress around with permissions too.

Edit: I misunderstood. By default each user has their own library unless you change something in the options.
OK, just so I understand.

Create two separate OS User Accounts and by default, we'll each have our own "iTunes"?

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
I recently just upgraded to a new computer, and as I keep my music organized myself, I had to manually re-add all my music to iTunes. This isn't a problem, except for the fact that I like to keep a "Never Listened" playlist. Since I just had to re-add everything, the playlist now consists of my entire library. Is there any way to manually and quickly add to the playcount of multiple files at once, beyond just playing and skipping them? Having the previous playcount isn't really as important as just making it 1 so that they're off the list.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

dexter6 posted:

OK, just so I understand.

Create two separate OS User Accounts and by default, we'll each have our own "iTunes"?

Yes

Jigsaw posted:

I recently just upgraded to a new computer, and as I keep my music organized myself, I had to manually re-add all my music to iTunes. This isn't a problem, except for the fact that I like to keep a "Never Listened" playlist. Since I just had to re-add everything, the playlist now consists of my entire library. Is there any way to manually and quickly add to the playcount of multiple files at once, beyond just playing and skipping them? Having the previous playcount isn't really as important as just making it 1 so that they're off the list.

If you're on a mac use something like this: http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=addorsubtractplaycount

Or you could make a playlist containing the ones you want to increment, turn off shuffle & repeat and set it to play silently overnight or something.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
I'm not on a Mac, but the other should work. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

BusinessWallet posted:

I have about 11,000 sounds and I'd say about 5,000 of them now have messed up tags as a result of using SongGenie. Is there any software you'd recommend to repair all of them, preferably a software that would pull from a database?
Tuneup Companion.

http://www.tuneupmedia.com/

It's not free, but it's worth it. It hasnt failed me once so far, except with some really obscure compilations.