Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

7 is loads faster than Vista, I'm glad they didn't include tons of extra poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LooseChanj posted:

This bugs the hell out of me, especially when xscreensaver provides me with endless entertainment on 'nix. Why the hell does windows have poo poo for screensavers?

Because you should have your display go to sleep instead of showing a screensaver!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

GreenNight posted:

7 is loads faster than Vista, I'm glad they didn't include tons of extra poo poo.

Why would having more screensavers, or anything else that is only on disk until the user decides to use it, make the OS load slower?

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Mensur fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 14, 2013

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

poo poo, if the worst thing about 7 is lack of screensavers (:wtc:), then MS did a pretty good job.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Mensur posted:

yes, it was sarcasm
No way!

Anyway, I installed Windows 7 RC on my dad's netbook after the XP install stopped shutting down properly and I couldn't get it sorted - and holy poo poo, it runs well! This isn't a Rolls Royce of netbooks either - only 1GB RAM, but it pretty much runs on par with XP. Even has Aero functioning fully. Colour me impressed.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

LooseChanj posted:

This bugs the hell out of me, especially when xscreensaver provides me with endless entertainment on 'nix. Why the hell does windows have poo poo for screensavers?

I've been insulted before for using Screensavers.

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!

Xenomorph posted:

I've been insulted before for using Screensavers.

What the gently caress is wrong with you, using screensavers, you idiot! Jesus Christ, some people and their using loving screensavers!

gently caress.

I think they're nice :3

da sponge
May 24, 2004

..and you've eaten your pen. simply stunning.

Stuntman Mike posted:

I think they're nice :3

They're a waste of energy, especially given that many LCDs wake up from powersave within a second or two.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

At my job I was told to set group policy to turn off monitors after 10 minutes of no activity due to power savings.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

-Dethstryk- posted:

I'm having a rare but odd problem that I'm curious to see if anyone else has seen.

Twice in the past month my machine blue-screened with a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error. My system checks out on any tests, so it's probably just a beta driver crashing the kernel somehow. That's okay, and I don't care about diagnosing that.

But the issue is that after the crash, the OS won't load properly. After putting in my password, it will just sit endlessly logging into Windows with hardly any drive activity. I can reboot it, but the problem persists.

The fix? Boot into safe mode. After I do that, it will start up normally.

Weird as hell. Anyone else seen that?

drat you. drat YOU.

I haven't had a BSOD on Win7 yet. A couple of hours after I read this post of yours, I had a BSOD with the exact same symptoms (except I don't remember what the actual error message was). Windows would just kind of sit there with no hard drive activity after I typed in my password. A single boot in to safe mode fixed it.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Why doesn't Windows Explorer show how much free space the drive has? :mad:
Is it possible to enable it?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

PirateBob posted:

Why doesn't Windows Explorer show how much free space the drive has? :mad:
Is it possible to enable it?

Where would you like it to show that information? It already does at the Computer view...

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Where would you like it to show that information? It already does at the Computer view...

It should show in the status bar thingy at the bottom while browsing any folder. Or at least when browsing the drive root.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Thermopyle posted:

drat you. drat YOU.

I haven't had a BSOD on Win7 yet. A couple of hours after I read this post of yours, I had a BSOD with the exact same symptoms (except I don't remember what the actual error message was). Windows would just kind of sit there with no hard drive activity after I typed in my password. A single boot in to safe mode fixed it.
While I haven't had any BSOD errors myself, I have found that the 7600 build is less stable on my system than the 7100 was. I formatted and installed on friday and I've already had a couple of solid lock-ups and some really crazy sleep-mode issues :(
For reference, I didn't have a single stability issue with 7100 aside from tinkering around with drivers.

edit: oh yeah, the last lockup somehow resulted in all my login cookies/saved passwords getting deleted, yet my browser history remains untouched :confused:

thunderspanks fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 15, 2009

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

I honestly can't imagine anyone not being able to figure out how the taskbar works after about 90 seconds.

I thought, based on 10 minutes with the beta, I would hate it.

Within 30 minutes of installing the RTM, it was the most natural thing in the world.

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

I've had Windows XP since about 2002. The same XP install. It's been repaired, moved and been through Intel->AMD->Intel, but I've never reinstalled.

Now I've gone to Win7. It's pretty darn nice.

Just wondering, the little preview of the window you get (Aero Peek?), is there anyway to detach this and put it somewhere else, always on? So I can have a little WoW preview window in the corner of Firefox that I can keep an eye on.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Armourking posted:

I've had Windows XP since about 2002. The same XP install. It's been repaired, moved and been through Intel->AMD->Intel, but I've never reinstalled.

Now I've gone to Win7. It's pretty darn nice.

Just wondering, the little preview of the window you get (Aero Peek?), is there anyway to detach this and put it somewhere else, always on? So I can have a little WoW preview window in the corner of Firefox that I can keep an eye on.

http://ontopreplica.codeplex.com/

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

Holy poo poo, you're my bloody hero!

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Armourking posted:

Same here. It's almost sad to finally let it go. :(

This looks cool too, thanks.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 15, 2009

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm having a really strange problem where nothing is showing up on my desktop, though things should. I have no recycle bin, none of the files there. Nada.

However, there are items in my User/Desktop folder. If I move stuff to the actual desktop they show up in the window of the desktop folder but not on the desktop itself.

I guess it's time to reinstall?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
You people who don't like screensavers are dead on the inside. :colbert:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

I'm having a really strange problem where nothing is showing up on my desktop, though things should. I have no recycle bin, none of the files there. Nada.

However, there are items in my User/Desktop folder. If I move stuff to the actual desktop they show up in the window of the desktop folder but not on the desktop itself.

I guess it's time to reinstall?

right click desktop -> view -> show desktop icons

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

PirateBob posted:

It should show in the status bar thingy at the bottom while browsing any folder. Or at least when browsing the drive root.

I miss the old status bar, that's one of the few issues I have with 7. Even if you turn on the status bar now, it doesn't show the same details XP's status bar did, and it's completely redundant with the details pane anyway... which still doesn't show what I want, i.e. total size of the files in that folder when nothing is selected. I sent a couple of feedback notes in the beta with this request, but I guess I'm not important enough.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just chiming in to give a big Thank You to R-Type for giving me direction in finding drivers for my wireless card! The links he posted didn't work, but I did some digging after discovering the chipset manufacturer, and this website:
http://www.phildawg.com/?p=50
had drivers that worked!

Anyone that has a linksys WMP54G V4 (NOT 4.1) and wants to use it with Windows 7 64 bit, I highly recommend getting the drivers from the link on that site.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

I searched the most recent 6 pages -- can someone confirm my reading of the OP that I'll need Ultimate if I want to boot from VHDs? Pro won't do this?

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
As far as screensavers go, electricsheep > *

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
A couple pages ago there were some users having issues with Nvidia board NICs. I had this same issue today after installing the RTM. Instead of using the Win7 drivers from Nvidia, I'm using their Vista x64 driver and it works fine so far. I'm not sure why, as I bet they are the same exact thing.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

On the screensaver tip, is there ANY free Windows clone of OS X's Mosaic screensaver?

Joe Don Baker posted:

A couple pages ago there were some users having issues with Nvidia board NICs. I had this same issue today after installing the RTM. Instead of using the Win7 drivers from Nvidia, I'm using their Vista x64 driver and it works fine so far. I'm not sure why, as I bet they are the same exact thing.

My problem went away when I switched my local network IP from a DHCP-issued IP to a static one (which I had done on Vista for port-forwarding and hadn't done it in 7 yet)

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I just realized I may be hosed, but I want to make sure. I currently have 2 OS' installed - the w7 beta, and Vista Ultimate. I have w7 home edition preordered, but I can't install it, can I?

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

frunksock posted:

I searched the most recent 6 pages -- can someone confirm my reading of the OP that I'll need Ultimate if I want to boot from VHDs? Pro won't do this?

You need Ultimate to do this.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I just realized I may be hosed, but I want to make sure. I currently have 2 OS' installed - the w7 beta, and Vista Ultimate. I have w7 home edition preordered, but I can't install it, can I?

Yeah you can, you just have to do a custom install from your Vista Ultimate version. The upgrade key will work even though you have to wipe out your old Vista install.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

On the screensaver tip, is there ANY free Windows clone of OS X's Mosaic screensaver?

My problem went away when I switched my local network IP from a DHCP-issued IP to a static one (which I had done on Vista for port-forwarding and hadn't done it in 7 yet)

Yeah? I'll have to try that out.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

chizad posted:

As far as screensavers go, electricsheep > *

I would love to get in on this screen saver, but their loving server went down a couple weeks ago and hasn't come back up yet, so anyone who doesn't already have it can't run it.

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad
Looks like my networking problem from the earlier Windows 7 build was never addressed - I'll ask away and maybe someone has found a decent solution...

I have a Belkin Wireless N adapter (F5D8053). While this adapter doesn't have any drivers that are compatable with Windows 7, it does work with other, similar drivers. However, I can't seem to connect to my router - it gets stuck at "Identifying..." and "Limited Access". A few Google searches pulled up some interesting ideas about disable IPv6, but even that doesn't seem to do the trick. Any ideas?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

kapinga posted:

Yeah you can, you just have to do a custom install from your Vista Ultimate version. The upgrade key will work even though you have to wipe out your old Vista install.

What exactly does this mean? I have to wipe the drive, install the full version of home premium 7, and then put in the upgrade key? Or does it mean that I can put the w7 cd into vista, and it will install, but it will do a full wipe and install instead of just an upgrade install?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mfaley posted:

Looks like my networking problem from the earlier Windows 7 build was never addressed - I'll ask away and maybe someone has found a decent solution...

I have a Belkin Wireless N adapter (F5D8053). While this adapter doesn't have any drivers that are compatable with Windows 7, it does work with other, similar drivers. However, I can't seem to connect to my router - it gets stuck at "Identifying..." and "Limited Access". A few Google searches pulled up some interesting ideas about disable IPv6, but even that doesn't seem to do the trick. Any ideas?

http://www.belkin.com/support/article/?lid=en&pid=F5D8053&aid=8343&scid=223 These don't work?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

The Wonder Weapon posted:

What exactly does this mean? I have to wipe the drive, install the full version of home premium 7, and then put in the upgrade key? Or does it mean that I can put the w7 cd into vista, and it will install, but it will do a full wipe and install instead of just an upgrade install?

The latter.

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad

Unfortunately not - en error comes up saying that "This operating system isn't supported". When I try to run it in compatibility mode with a previous OS, it doesn't recognize the adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

This is awesome, thank you for the heads up!

LooseChanj posted:

You people who don't like screensavers are dead on the inside. :colbert:

Seriously! Where would we be without the AfterDark series, and Johnny Castaway? In a world I would not want to live in, that is for sure.