Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aslan Bebop
Jul 3, 2008

Hipness is not a state of mind, It's a fact of life!
Here's an example of a relatively quick one of mine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

poopinmymouth posted:

Here's the before/after of the latest shot of mine. I'm thinking of doing a thread where I just go through my whole post processing workflow for an image like this. Any interest?

loving hell that's a lotta work.

ferdinand
May 14, 2003
lo stupire me

poopinmymouth posted:

Here's the before/after of the latest shot of mine. I'm thinking of doing a thread where I just go through my whole post processing workflow for an image like this. Any interest?

Do you deliberately shoot to give yourself a lot of post?

brad industry
May 22, 2004
That's not really a lot of post if you previsualized that result from the start.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Kid-A posted:

Here's an example of a relatively quick one of mine:

I really like this conversion. It's much stronger than the original (as it should be).

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

brad industry posted:

That's not really a lot of post if you previsualized that result from the start.

Yeah it was maybe 1-2 hours? I dunno, maybe I'm just fast at photoshop, but while it was one of my more involving post jobs, I never spend more than about an hour per photo.

Ok, I'll try to do a new thread (I'll link in here) on how I went about it.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
It's up: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3186994

And in blog form for pasting to non-SA members: http://mr-chompers.blogspot.com/2009/08/journeyinpostprocessing.html

dunkleosteus
Apr 4, 2009
edit: whoops

dunkleosteus fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 18, 2009

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

brad industry posted:

I think it depends on how you previsualize. There are always limits, even with Photoshop, and I usually take that into consideration. I don't see it as being limited by technology, but working with it, and I think that is a big part of photography and always has been.

I also hate doing a large amounf of post, and I don't do what I don't like unless it makes me money.

Zoowick
Apr 9, 2007

Making fifteen year old girls looks like whores since 2006
I made a tutorial today, some of you might be interested in it.

Straight out of camera.

After processing

How to video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V1h0u5Dow0

Zoowick fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 18, 2009

ferdinand
May 14, 2003
lo stupire me

dunkleosteus posted:

I have a handful of badly composed and out of focus shots of geese that I wanted to have a go at in post because they were all underexposed as they were all backlit on a sunny day and I just shot auto. I got stuck pretty quickly - I just took the exposure down and brought up the fill light in LR to relcaim the details on the geese but that resulted in them looking washed out and lifeless. I've tried increasing the saturation but it just ends up looking like a cartoon, any tips?

Unsharp mask at 10.250.0 (maybe even twice) and a simple S curve would make them pop a bit.

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006

Zoowick posted:

I made a tutorial today, some of you might be interested in it.

Straight out of camera.

After processing

How to video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V1h0u5Dow0

Dude, awesome, please please keep these coming!!

Zoowick
Apr 9, 2007

rigeek posted:

Dude, awesome, please please keep these coming!!

Before

After

How to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c11v5qe7jKk

Zoowick
Apr 9, 2007

Before

After

How to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn3d4MMKWnw

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Zoowick posted:

Before

After

Really like how you improved the background, but there's something about the tones on the guy that feel off for some reason. Having a hard time putting it into words.

Still, awesome tutorials, thanks!

Aslan Bebop
Jul 3, 2008

Hipness is not a state of mind, It's a fact of life!

Zoowick posted:

Before

After

How to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn3d4MMKWnw

I've gotta be honest, I think the corrected one looks pretty horrible. WAY too much fill light and general HDR horribleness.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The last two you've posted almost look like chromakey cutouts. The subjects are really disconnected from the environment. The one before that, with the girl on the street, is quite nice though.

Zoowick
Apr 9, 2007

Aslan Bebop posted:

I've gotta be honest, I think the corrected one looks pretty horrible. WAY too much fill light and general HDR horribleness.

I've noticed on tutorials that I've watched even if I hate the final outcome there is usually some cool information or a little trick I pick up that makes the tutorial worth it to me.

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006

Zoowick posted:

I've noticed on tutorials that I've watched even if I hate the final outcome there is usually some cool information or a little trick I pick up that makes the tutorial worth it to me.

For what it's worth, I feel the tutorials are very useful - Not all of us are PS wizards, and this really helps to see how it's done.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I liked the fact that you are in love with your brand.

Zoowick
Apr 9, 2007

pwn posted:

I liked the fact that you are in love with your brand.

I should incorporate a little "me" loving my logo in the logo. Branding is good for business.

Toupee
Feb 6, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump
I have to say, I think you take your warming way too far.

Other than that, these are nice, as I'm too lazy to lookup keyboard shortcuts for stuff. I'm curious why you don't just make an action for vignetting though.

Zoowick
Apr 9, 2007

Toupee posted:

I have to say, I think you take your warming way too far.

Other than that, these are nice, as I'm too lazy to lookup keyboard shortcuts for stuff. I'm curious why you don't just make an action for vignetting though.

The same reason you don't lookup keyboard shortcuts for stuff.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I'd like to thank all you guys for writing this stuff up. I've been reading it for the past few days and the amount of stuff I've learned is absolutely mind boggling. I know I will not remember hardly any of it, so I will definitely keep coming back to a lot of the tuts, and I still don't understand colour profiles haha!
I just bought lightroom too because you guys make it look and sound like an excellent tool to go along side photoshop! I look forward to trying to learn it, do you guys have any places to start with it? Or just play around and see what happens?

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006

A5H posted:

I'd like to thank all you guys for writing this stuff up. I've been reading it for the past few days and the amount of stuff I've learned is absolutely mind boggling. I know I will not remember hardly any of it, so I will definitely keep coming back to a lot of the tuts, and I still don't understand colour profiles haha!
I just bought lightroom too because you guys make it look and sound like an excellent tool to go along side photoshop! I look forward to trying to learn it, do you guys have any places to start with it? Or just play around and see what happens?

This.

And for all the Zoowick haters, gently caress off. The guy is taking time out of his busy schedule to try to help everyone here, and all you do is poo poo on him. If you don't like the tutorials he posts, nobody forces you to watch them, GTFO.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

rigeek posted:

This.

And for all the Zoowick haters, gently caress off. The guy is taking time out of his busy schedule to try to help everyone here, and all you do is poo poo on him. If you don't like the tutorials he posts, nobody forces you to watch them, GTFO.

I don't think anyone is "hating." There is nothing wrong with legitimate criticisms: they can do nothing but help. You want to edit your photos that way, go crazy, but there is no reason it should be in a critical vacuum.

Tziko
Feb 18, 2001

A5H posted:

Play around. You'll get the hang of it pretty fast. Try out all the different things and maybe watch a few videos.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Zoowick posted:

Before

After

How to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c11v5qe7jKk

Question - You mention that you shoot almost excusively on iso50, just wondering why? My understanding of the extended iso modes on the 5d was that you sacrifice tonal range to enable it (I think it's highlights clip earlier at 50 ande shadows at 1600, without looking up that may be the wrong way round). Just seemed an odd thing to do when you say at the start that you pump up the fill light gain more tonal range in the first place.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
What is the filter action he mentions Lucius 30? I don't understand what it does.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

What is the filter action he mentions Lucius 30? I don't understand what it does.

Looked like it upped contrast,blacks and pulled the darker midtones back to me.

Zoowick
Apr 9, 2007

Shannow posted:

Question - You mention that you shoot almost excusively on iso50, just wondering why? My understanding of the extended iso modes on the 5d was that you sacrifice tonal range to enable it (I think it's highlights clip earlier at 50 ande shadows at 1600, without looking up that may be the wrong way round). Just seemed an odd thing to do when you say at the start that you pump up the fill light gain more tonal range in the first place.

Least amount of noise possible. It just gives me more leeway when pulling from shadows. Also I like to incorporate dramatic skies in a lot of my portraits with strobes so you need a really low ISO to keep from going over your camera's sync speed.

Zoowick
Apr 9, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

It's a filter called "Lucis Arts" I have an action that uses that filter named "Lusic 30" I got the action from another forum. Basically it's like Topaz Adjust, I just like the way it deals with skin better.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Aslan Bebop posted:

Yeah, I agree. All the processing made it lose the fact that it was even shot with a light to begin with. There's very little pop between the subject and background with all the post work. The image looks flat and for my money, it's too warm which makes the skin look odd. I also think positioning him in front of the bushes rather than the barn would have helped a lot. It would have given a lot more contrast and depth to the guy.

The beach one is nice though. The warm tones make it feel like sunset.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Zoowick posted:

Least amount of noise possible. It just gives me more leeway when pulling from shadows. Also I like to incorporate dramatic skies in a lot of my portraits with strobes so you need a really low ISO to keep from going over your camera's sync speed.

It might be helpful to know that shooting at 50 doesn't actually help you pull from the shadows-- in fact it might be hurting you. Because it's not a native ISO in the 5D2, shooting at 50 actually reduces the dynamic range and should be reserved for when you absolutely must use it because of shooting with strobes or a large aperture.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

TsarAleksi posted:

It might be helpful to know that shooting at 50 doesn't actually help you pull from the shadows-- in fact it might be hurting you. Because it's not a native ISO in the 5D2, shooting at 50 actually reduces the dynamic range and should be reserved for when you absolutely must use it because of shooting with strobes or a large aperture.

This has been my experience as well. ISO 50 is for when I need longer shutter speeds, but no other purpose. ISO 100 is the "base" and has the least noise/broadest dynamic range for the 5d.

ferdinand
May 14, 2003
lo stupire me

TsarAleksi posted:

I don't think anyone is "hating." There is nothing wrong with legitimate criticisms: they can do nothing but help. You want to edit your photos that way, go crazy, but there is no reason it should be in a critical vacuum.

If anything this has taught me people will pay for actions that are basically just curves :)

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

Zoowick posted:

It's a filter called "Lucis Arts" I have an action that uses that filter named "Lusic 30" I got the action from another forum. Basically it's like Topaz Adjust, I just like the way it deals with skin better.

Both Topaz and Lucis are very powerful, but I get into moods where I end up processing using them just for the sake of processing, not because it'll actually make them look better. They go from good photo to over processed very quickly.

Still, it's dave hill effects without the dave hill budget :]

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Cyberbob posted:

Both Topaz and Lucis are very powerful, but I get into moods where I end up processing using them just for the sake of processing, not because it'll actually make them look better. They go from good photo to over processed very quickly.

Still, it's dave hill effects without the dave hill budget :]

I honestly don't think either of them get even close to what Dave Hill does. Most of his work is done with lighting and is very well thought out, even if it is processed to no end. I didn't used to like his stuff at all, but his recent work, namely the epic themed shots he's been producing, like the Adventure Girl series are ridiculously good art.

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006
It's easy to over-use the Topaz / Lucis filters .. but when a properly lighted photo is processed with one of them correctly, the end result is usually pretty good, Dave Hill or not. I'll be the first to admit sometimes stuff looks over-the-top, but bottom line is, and I'm sure Zoowick will back me up here, that's what certain types of clients want these days .. they want over-the-top, larger-than-life type photos. Bands, HS seniors, etc. Gotta give 'em what they want!

Now not to derail, a question .. been doing Google searches with not much luck .. where to find some good textures for Photoshop? Inspired by Zoo's latest tutorials, never really thought of using textures and overlays in processing, but I have a few shots it would work well with .. don't mind paying for them if reasonable but free would be better.. anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

rigeek posted:

It's easy to over-use the Topaz / Lucis filters .. but when a properly lighted photo is processed with one of them correctly, the end result is usually pretty good, Dave Hill or not. I'll be the first to admit sometimes stuff looks over-the-top, but bottom line is, and I'm sure Zoowick will back me up here, that's what certain types of clients want these days .. they want over-the-top, larger-than-life type photos. Bands, HS seniors, etc. Gotta give 'em what they want!

Now not to derail, a question .. been doing Google searches with not much luck .. where to find some good textures for Photoshop? Inspired by Zoo's latest tutorials, never really thought of using textures and overlays in processing, but I have a few shots it would work well with .. don't mind paying for them if reasonable but free would be better.. anyone?

I think it might be easier to just make your own with either photographs or a scanner.

• Locked thread