Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

Evil Genius,

- Jubei is a really solid fighter, and can take out Super Agents on his own if you use his two special abilities in conjunction to get the drop on them. He is the default starting henchman if you play as Maxamilian, but you can eventually recruit him with the other two also.

- Other great henchmen are The Butcher (AMAZING fighter) and The Matron (Good special moves).

- Red Ivan is way more trouble than he is worth. Avoid him unless you want to have a psychotic russian with a german accept blowing up all your rooms.

-Eli Barracuda is hilarious.

- Try to keep the island free of body bags, and build the more incriminating rooms (Control Room, Freezer, Power Plant) far away from the base entrance. Valets and the associated minions are good for distracting agents from penetrating too far deep into your base. If you're getting swamped by agents from a certain continent, check your Heat on the world map screen and consider laying low for a while in that region.

- Be really careful with Super Agents. They are the only things that can permanently kill off your Henchmen. You'll recognize Super Agents when you see/hear them. Neutralizing and incarcerating them should be your number 1 priority.

-Mechanical stuff wears down over time. Make sure they are accessable to by scientists

Above all, keep your Evil Genius safe. If they die, you lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Alris posted:

Evil Genius :words:

Some extra advice:

- Don't trap your main entrance. It only takes one inattentive minion to set off a chain reaction that sees half your work force dead or dazed. Instead, build a small secondary base, fill it with non-lethal traps and seal off the outer door. Agents go in, spend ages in there, and by the time they get out they are ready to leave the island.

- Build cells so they open onto a freezer. That way, you can issue capture orders for troublesome agents, chuck them into a Death Roller, order a termination, and the body bag will pop out onto a freezer, removing the nasty loyalty drain.

- Social attacks work great against tougher agents. Once it's locked in, they're stuck until it finishes, even if a nearby Freak is pounding them. Super Agents become simple to capture with social attacks (keeping them captured is another matter :argh:)

- Plonk loot in heavily used areas like the Training Room or the Control Room to ensure maximum loyalty boost. Plus a lot of loot gives boost to other stats. An endurance booster can keep minions training for longer before collapsing.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
I started throwing everything in a wiki, as I've nothing else to do for a few hours and I've never made a wiki before. Suggestions?

http://www.drumandface.info/wsik/index.php/Main_Page

I still have to add another 47 pages of posts, link the pages to relevant categories (like what console, especially), figure out why it's not working as a subdomain, maybe add a screenshot to pretty up the pages, etcetera.

Should I keep going? Is the format for the pages alright? Is this milk still good?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I've seen all the X-com: UFO Defense tips in this thread but I could use some really, really basic ones. Like, along the lines of what the hell all the icons do. I bought it off of Steam so there's no manual. I tried just messing around with it but just ended up bored and frustrated. And of course the FAQ on GameFAQs just happens to be the ONE FAQ on the entire site where the author didn't transcribe the manual. He basically says something smug about how if you don't know how to play then you're obviously a pirate and he won't help pirate scum enjoy such an awesome game.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

...! posted:

I've seen all the X-com: UFO Defense tips in this thread but I could use some really, really basic ones. Like, along the lines of what the hell all the icons do. I bought it off of Steam so there's no manual. I tried just messing around with it but just ended up bored and frustrated. And of course the FAQ on GameFAQs just happens to be the ONE FAQ on the entire site where the author didn't transcribe the manual. He basically says something smug about how if you don't know how to play then you're obviously a pirate and he won't help pirate scum enjoy such an awesome game.

Scroll down and BEHOLD THY ANSWER!

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Didn't we used to have a games help forum? What happened to that? I remember it started out well, and then next time I checked it had been erased from existance.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Alris posted:

- Other great henchmen are The Butcher (AMAZING fighter) and The Matron (Good special moves).

- Red Ivan is way more trouble than he is worth. Avoid him unless you want to have a psychotic russian with a german accent blowing up all your rooms.

The Butcher also really makes a good bonus to your henchmen. Plop him down some where and hit terror tactics. No one's going to be leaving work as long as there's a psychopath sharpening his meat cleavers.

And there is actually a way to use the Red Ivan without causing significant base damage! Build him his own special hut. Slam a big ol' security door on it, shove him in there, and max out the security clearance. He'll take care of his own needs. The big 4 star security door will attract troops, who open it to a face full of Cossack fury.

-Something you aren't quite told, you have to assemble the totem pole on the first island. It just refuses to fit together on the second. If it's not complete, it's just a pile of cursed Mayaztecan furniture.

-Keep low heat rooms up front. Agents will waste their time looking through your dastardly pharmacy and your horrendous fast food joint and leave well before they hit your torture chamber.

-Wind tunnels are both hilarious and awesome. As long as it doesn't ram any one into a wall or door (And thus piss them off), it won't raise their heat meter and very gently wastes their time.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 16, 2009

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Because no one demanded it:
Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2:
the first 40000 zenni you make should go towards buying One Who Loves Justice and King Yemma's Seal, which fuse to generate the Halo potara, which cuts your energy requirements in half. This will be invaluable in he first sections.
Learn to use your follow and teleport attacks. A full charge followed by one of each will take off a full health bar in most cases.
Super Saiyan 2 Teen Gohan has the highest hand speed in the game, making him a good beginner character.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

apekillape posted:

I started throwing everything in a wiki, as I've nothing else to do for a few hours and I've never made a wiki before. Suggestions?

http://www.drumandface.info/wsik/index.php/Main_Page

I still have to add another 47 pages of posts, link the pages to relevant categories (like what console, especially), figure out why it's not working as a subdomain, maybe add a screenshot to pretty up the pages, etcetera.

Should I keep going? Is the format for the pages alright? Is this milk still good?

I can't believe I didn't think of this as someone who is a serial wiki addict.

I think its great, especially if you're like me and you want to be aware of the basic do's/dont's of a game (or for knowing that thing you absolutely should or absolutely should not do but would have never known about it without prior knowledge) but hate using strategy guides or regularly consulting gamefaqs.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

McKracken posted:

I can't believe I didn't think of this as someone who is a serial wiki addict.

I think its great, especially if you're like me and you want to be aware of the basic do's/dont's of a game (or for knowing that thing you absolutely should or absolutely should not do but would have never known about it without prior knowledge) but hate using strategy guides or regularly consulting gamefaqs.

Arright, one vote is enough to keep going, haha. I'll get the other 40 pages from the thread loaded in over the course of the week.

Is the formatting alright? I just kind of threw them in as-is, I don't know squat about how wiki code works.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
For the Wiki, make sure that the front page emphasizes the point of the Q&A. This isn't a place to tell people playing Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 about the Illusionist/Seer combo that lets you attack every enemy on the map three times.

A more appropriate thing would be to warn people playing Final Fantasy 12 that there are certain chests you need to not open until the end of the game.

It's good to tell people trying out X-Com that they ought to skip their first turn so they don't get slaughtered on their way out of the sub. Also, it's good to warn newbies that certain research can make the game unwinnable.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
Some more Evil Genius notes:

TGLT posted:

-Something you aren't quite told, you have to assemble the totem pole on the first island. It just refuses to fit together on the second. If it's not complete, it's just a pile of cursed Mayaztecan furniture.

-Another note about it the totem pole is that the pieces drain stats until the pole is completed, so store them in the freezer.

-The game doesn't explain it, but once you've researched freaks, you can create them by tossing body-bags into the bio-vat. If you want to get rid of them, tag them for weakening. They kill every agent they see, tagged or untagged, but they're handy if you've got waves of soldiers coming to your base.

-Don't make a spot completely inaccessible with objects. If you have an odd-shaped room where there's a tile that's blocked by items, saboteurs and thiefs can tunnel in underground and start destroying your poo poo.

-If a minion deserts due to low loyalty, you can capture them, then release them from their cell after a few seconds, and they'll go back to working for you. They run at max speed, but if you double click, they'll stop to salute you, even as twenty guys beat them up. This doesn't work for minions who desert because of a super-agent ability.

-There's an objective to steal two out of three research objects. If you get all three, you can research all the cool tech stuff, if you just get the two, you get cut off from a lot of the cool end game tech.

-Press 'P' to pause. Especially once you get to the second island, and hopefully have a couple of mil in the bank. The ability to just sit back and layout your entire lair from the get-go is pretty sweet.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 17, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Another Evil Genius tip. There's a config file that lets you adjust the maximum number of minions. Increase that to make the game a little easier.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

apekillape posted:

Arright, one vote is enough to keep going, haha. I'll get the other 40 pages from the thread loaded in over the course of the week.
I'd actually been considering doing this for a long time, more in old jumptheshark.com form than in wiki form, though. Since I've been to so many gaming/emulation forums I have trust issues with gamers and wikis. :v: If you'd like, as the OP I could write a short spiel on what the intent of this whole thing was.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Apekillape, I hope you don't mind if I add information to some pages I saw. I didn't post it in the thread but I had some advice on Breakdown I thought was fit to publish.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
The wiki is an excellent idea!

I did a quick control+f through the pages and didn't see anything in this thread on the PC RPG Drakensang. Any tips for class/ character creation? I can't find anything anywhere on the web about it.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I've been playing Overlord for a while now and could use some tips to make me th emost bad rear end killing machine possible. What are the best ways to upgrade my poo poo and ensure that I have the most minions possible?

John Stalvern
Apr 16, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Gooch181 posted:

The wiki is an excellent idea!

I did a quick control+f through the pages and didn't see anything in this thread on the PC RPG Drakensang. Any tips for class/ character creation? I can't find anything anywhere on the web about it.

Short version: Pick Elementalist.

Long version: Though the classes themselves are decently balanced, their availability as recruits are not. There are many competent fighters and 2 very good rogue types to be had, and both rogues + 2 of the fighters are gotten real early in the game. Clerics are harder to come by but still good when you find them. Meanwhile, for offensive spellcasters, you get table scraps.

So, to fill the deficiencies left by the recruitable cast, you probably want to be a nuker, summoner, or some combo of the two. Elementalist would probably be my top pick, since it has a decent amount of kapow and its starting summon is the most badass of the lot, but generally, if it wears robes and its description talks about fire, necromancy, ancient spellcraft, or any of that poo poo, it's a solid pick.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

John Stalvern posted:

Short version: Pick Elementalist.

Long version: Though the classes themselves are decently balanced, their availability as recruits are not. There are many competent fighters and 2 very good rogue types to be had, and both rogues + 2 of the fighters are gotten real early in the game. Clerics are harder to come by but still good when you find them. Meanwhile, for offensive spellcasters, you get table scraps.

So, to fill the deficiencies left by the recruitable cast, you probably want to be a nuker, summoner, or some combo of the two. Elementalist would probably be my top pick, since it has a decent amount of kapow and its starting summon is the most badass of the lot, but generally, if it wears robes and its description talks about fire, necromancy, ancient spellcraft, or any of that poo poo, it's a solid pick.

Cool, thanks. Would I be allright sticking with the premade one, or better off changing stats around manually? It looks pretty daunting but as long as the premade class is good enough, I'd like to avoid it. I'd just hate to get hours into the game and find out I didn't put enough points in tree knowledge or some poo poo and be stuck.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

hadji murad posted:

I've been playing Overlord for a while now and could use some tips to make me th emost bad rear end killing machine possible. What are the best ways to upgrade my poo poo and ensure that I have the most minions possible?
Use an axe or mace for the chance to knockback/flip. Get the expansion to create the Harvest(?) Helmet to increase your minion gathering and look for the helmet that adds a few extra.
A high Regeneration of around 60+ is enough to help you recover from most attacks quickly enough without it being wasted on defending against weak enemy attacks.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's good to tell people trying out X-Com that they ought to skip their first turn so they don't get slaughtered on their way out of the sub. Also, it's good to warn newbies that certain research can make the game unwinnable.

I've never played X-Com so I obviously don't know anything about how the research works in that game, but how the hell could certain options make it unwinnable? Is it something akin to the totally broken leveling system in Oblivion?

Also, should I get my hands on a copy of X-Com, I've never heard anything but praise for it.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
In X-COM:Terror From the Deep, If you research certain technologies in an incorrect order, you can lock yourself out of researching critical endgame technologies.

X-COM:UFO Defense does not have that problem, and is a better game anyway.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So I'm playing Persona 1 (the remake for the PSP), what should I know?

I think that there's an Ice Queen sidequest or something that's pretty big and completely missable, so how do I get in on that? And is there anything else I should look for?

Also important, though probably not as much: does Expert give you any bonuses or reasons for playing it? I'll probably play it anyway, but I'd like to know.

Edit: Holy poo poo the game still plays with first-person dungeons huh? It's weird going backwards in sequential titles.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 18, 2009

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Morpheus posted:

So I'm playing Persona 1 (the remake for the PSP), what should I know?

I think that there's an Ice Queen sidequest or something that's pretty big and completely missable, so how do I get in on that? And is there anything else I should look for?

Also important, though probably not as much: does Expert give you any bonuses or reasons for playing it? I'll probably play it anyway, but I'd like to know.

Edit: Holy poo poo the game still plays with first-person dungeons huh? It's weird going backwards in sequential titles.

Yeah I jumped into this in the middle of a Persona 3 FES run, and the throwback to SNES (I know it was a PS1 game, but it plays like something16-bit) is kind of jarring.

I'm not too far in, so I don't have too many tips for you, but I can tell you that the game has changed quite a bit from the initial release and the walkthrough on GameFaqs is really off in a lot of things. Also, I am pretty sure the Snow Queen quest is not as missable (it wasn't even in the US initial release) so don't worry about it too much.

Nothing extra for Expert. I'm playing it through on Novice just to get through it once quick.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

CloseFriend posted:

I'd actually been considering doing this for a long time, more in old jumptheshark.com form than in wiki form, though. Since I've been to so many gaming/emulation forums I have trust issues with gamers and wikis. :v: If you'd like, as the OP I could write a short spiel on what the intent of this whole thing was.

Sure, knock yourself out. Like I said, I know zilch about wikis, I just figured if no one else was gonna it might help to at least have it all up somewhere. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wish I had known before hand how loving creepy the giant spiders are in Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. I can handle video game spiders and I can handle giant video game spiders but the animation team for that game must have studied arachnids for half the development time. I literally screamed the first time one of those fuckers dropped down from the ceiling right in front of my face. I started launching fireballs from afar until four of them reared up and leaped at me.

Jesus loving Christ. How long is this Spider Temple?

Salt Block Party
Jan 1, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Anything good to know for Bully?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Salt Block Party posted:

Try to finish the classes as soon as you can, once you max them out, you don't have to go anymore, which gives you a lot more freedom to explore and do missions.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

al-azad posted:

I wish I had known before hand how loving creepy the giant spiders are in Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. I can handle video game spiders and I can handle giant video game spiders but the animation team for that game must have studied arachnids for half the development time. I literally screamed the first time one of those fuckers dropped down from the ceiling right in front of my face. I started launching fireballs from afar until four of them reared up and leaped at me.

Jesus loving Christ. How long is this Spider Temple?

It's maybe about a half hour or so?. There is an optional (?) spider boss, too. Don't worry though, there are still plenty of spiders left in the game!!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Salt Block Party posted:

*If you let the day run out you might lose your shoes and maybe worthless junk. Your clothes will be back at your changing station. Sleeping isn't so important.
*Don't go to class when it starts. If you are doing some odd job or collecting, pick a fight with a prefect and you will teleport to class.
*Your outfit will determine if certain girls will like you enough to refill your health if you took enough classes. The latter ninja outfits have a bonus but everyone will laugh at you.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:

Aeldaar posted:

I saw the BG2 tips, but is there anything for someone looking to start from BG1 and play through the whole series? Interesting cheats from the console would also be welcome.

I don't know if this has been addressed in the last 50 pages (I scoured through most of them) but in BG1, you will come across Golden Pantaloons. They seem useless, but don't throw them away, keep them until the end of the game. They're one of the few items that transfer over into BG2, where you'll find 2 similar items (one's in ToB, actually).

You need these items if you want to get power armour and a rocket launcher. No, I'm not kidding. Beware, they are extremely cheesy.

To add to this thread, I've played through a lot of Infinity Engine games back when they were just coming out (BG1&2, PST, etc) but I was waaaaay too young to get into the game and really beat them (silly 8-year olds and their attention spans). I have a good progress save from BG1 when I was started playing through it a few summers ago, I should get back into that. But as a question, I *loved* PST (again, never finished it). The reason being I got trapped in the Player's Maze and saved there. I never did find my way out :smith: Should I reinstall and start a new game, or try to find the save? Oh hell, either option will probably get me stuck there again. Is there a way out of the drat place?

The Blue Pyramid fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 19, 2009

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I just finished Horde Mode again so I'll bang this out while it's still fresh in my memory.

Gears of War 2 Horde Mode:

The keys to survival are using shields properly to block yourself into a defensible position, and prioritizing your targets. Ideally, you want a position that gives you the high ground with no chance of enemies spawning behind you. In between waves, you have a few seconds to grab ammo and dropped weapons, before the map clears away the debris and resets. If you don't pick up your planted shields, they will disappear too! When you see weapons on the ground disappear it's safe to plant again. They are essential for survival on every 10th wave against Bloodmounts. They can't hurt you if you pick up a shield and keep it out, just make sure you're not letting everyone else in. On higher difficulties they will overrun you if you're not prepared. I've had a Grub kick down my shield while a Grenadier threw a grenade and two others rushed in.

Shields:

Found either laying around on certain maps, or dropped from Maulers that start appearing on every 8th wave. Grab one, plant it in a doorway or at the foot of some steps, and make sure they don't get knocked over. All of the ground troops except for Tickers and Wretches can knock your shields over, while the bigger guys like Boomers and Maulers will just stand there. Maulers will not use their own shields for cover if they're standing in front of your defense, but they can still swing their mace if you get too close. Sires are specifically made to knock down shields, and they're usually the first enemies to do so. If you're not being swarmed, just chainsaw them and replant. If there's a mob and you see them running, shoot off their arms. They'll die faster than aiming for the body; just keep shooting if you knock them over until you're sure they're dead or else they'll get back up. You can vault over your shields from either side if you need to pick up ammo in the middle of a fight.

When Bloodmounts show up, always kill the rider first! It'll be one less person shooting at you, and there's no risk of him getting up and kicking over your shields if you kill his ride.

Always try to down the last guy and let him bleed out. You'll need the extra time to grab ammo, plant grenades, and switch weapons if need be. Don't bother with the sniper rifle once they start getting stronger, it's too time consuming between shots for negligible damage. Once your traps are set, do your best to defend them against Tickers and Wretches so they aren't wasted on easy kills. It only takes one shot with the magnum at a Flamer's fuel tank to kill him, no matter how high the wave you're on.

Priorities:

Kill anything close enough to knock over your shields first. Boomers and Grinders > Kantus > Therons > Grubs. Tickers, Wretches, and all of the bigger guys stuck at your shields can be killed whenever; just keep an eye out for Sires. In the later waves groups of Grinders, Kantus, and Therons will probably be the worst the game can throw at you. Good luck!

:words:

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 19, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Salt Block Party posted:

Don't grind carnival tickets for the moped, as tempting as it seems. It's very cool, but ultimately not very useful and cops will chase after unless you wear a dorky looking helmet you can't take off at will. Just ride the fastest bicycles instead.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Oh yeah, I just wanted to say thanks to the dude setting up the wiki, and I hope it takes off. And that I have gently caress all to do for the next couple of weeks until my new job starts, so if you need another pair of hands I could maybe do some data entry and poo poo.

Combat-Jack
Jul 16, 2009

Less yap, more ZAP
I'm taking advantage of the new PS3 price drop, and I'm thinking I'm going to grab Warhawk since it's a nice, cheap, multiplayer game. I'm going to get badly spanked online, aren't I? Any pointers to lessen the blow would be great.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

The Blue Pyramid posted:

I got trapped in the Player's Maze and saved there. I never did find my way out :smith: Should I reinstall and start a new game, or try to find the save? Oh hell, either option will probably get me stuck there again. Is there a way out of the drat place?

Before you leave make sure you grab the journal and hammer from your previous incarnation's camp. Then just pick any archway and walk through it. It'll teleport you to somewhere else in the map, then all you have to do is walk back to that same arch and walk through it again. You should be back in Sigil. I think the journal may hint at this, but I don't remember.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I promised a friend I'd play Crusader Kings with the expansion until I was addicted but never got around to installing. The game can't be that complicated right?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Kneel Before Zog posted:

I promised a friend I'd play Crusader Kings with the expansion until I was addicted but never got around to installing. The game can't be that complicated right?

It's easily the least complicated of any of the Paradox grand strategy games.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Etrian Odyssey. Don't have it, but am gonna get it. Tell me stuff about it so I don't throw it against the wall in a tantrum on my first playthrough.

Also, better to first-play EO1 or EO2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kneel Before Zog posted:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=331766 Get the patch linked on the bottom.

Try playing as a medium power duke somewhere at first, like maybe Apulia or Flanders. (I like Apulia). If you want to play as a kingdom, Sweden is pretty simple.