Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alligator Tower
Aug 22, 2004

Does anyone remember this game: It was third person and it was an action game. You played as a female character who could use some pretty badass swords. You started off in a village doing mundane rpg hack and slash quests, and pretty early on you get a dragon which you can ride for the rest of the game (except for certain areas where you have to get off and go in on foot. There was a snow level, a cave level, an island level and the last level was balls crazy with all of these evil towers and stuff.

I think the dragon had different elements of attack... you might have gained new elements from beating the levels. I know it starts off as a fire dragon.

... THE gently caress WAS THE NAME OF THAT GAME!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Alligator Tower posted:

Does anyone remember this game: It was third person and it was an action game. You played as a female character who could use some pretty badass swords. You started off in a village doing mundane rpg hack and slash quests, and pretty early on you get a dragon which you can ride for the rest of the game (except for certain areas where you have to get off and go in on foot. There was a snow level, a cave level, an island level and the last level was balls crazy with all of these evil towers and stuff.

I think the dragon had different elements of attack... you might have gained new elements from beating the levels. I know it starts off as a fire dragon.

... THE gently caress WAS THE NAME OF THAT GAME!?!

Drakan: Order of the Flame

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/index.html?curid=2462626

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I can't remember if I asked this in an older version of the thread, but there was this multi-disk psx game that was a 2d platformer where you're playing as a small boy trying to rescue his dog from aliens. The only other thing I can remember is the part in the opening scene where he sees his dog being brought into another dimension or something. Does anyone remember this from the vague things I remember about it?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Ballrawg posted:

I can't remember if I asked this in an older version of the thread, but there was this multi-disk psx game that was a 2d platformer where you're playing as a small boy trying to rescue his dog from aliens. The only other thing I can remember is the part in the opening scene where he sees his dog being brought into another dimension or something. Does anyone remember this from the vague things I remember about it?
Heart of Darkness perhaps?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Ballrawg posted:

Or maybe Rescue Rover by Apogee?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWHiU2p9zfU

It's robots instead of aliens, but maybe.

Alligator Tower
Aug 22, 2004

Chinook posted:

Drakan: Order of the Flame

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/index.html?curid=2462626

You are a golden god

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

MMAgCh posted:

Heart of Darkness perhaps?

Yeah that's the one, thanks! :)

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
While not a game, I remember seeing a guide on how to absolutely break Deus Ex and be a complete rear end in a top hat. Does anyone remember this? It's pretty popular around here.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005
This one? http://www.it-he.org/deus.htm

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Saint Septimus posted:

This one? http://www.it-he.org/deus.htm

oh wow aren't you guys just the most helpful people on the planet. Thanks too! :)

ioneye
Apr 24, 2008
Trying to remember a game.

It was a mobsters type game, was like a RTS, could buy property and raid people and stuff. Thats all I vaguely remember :(

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

ioneye posted:

It was a mobsters type game, was like a RTS, could buy property and raid people and stuff. Thats all I vaguely remember :(

Gangsters: Organized Crime?

ioneye
Apr 24, 2008

Grawl posted:

Gangsters: Organized Crime?

Thanks!! Thats it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
There was an arcade game that was very action packed I can't remember much about it other than

The main character used a whip to attack and one of the levels has you driving in his car fighting enemies. I also think the first level takes place on a train.

Salt Block Party
Jan 1, 2005

by Fistgrrl

crutt posted:

Anyone remember a 2d, sidescrolling rpg with steampunk elements? It was an indie game, and I think the first semi-boss was some kind a pig-bear thing in a mine. You could have members in your group and I remember one was a priest. It's killing me that I cant remember the name and google has failed me
The Spirit Engine

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

blackguy32 posted:

There was an arcade game that was very action packed I can't remember much about it other than

The main character used a whip to attack and one of the levels has you driving in his car fighting enemies. I also think the first level takes place on a train.

Sounds like The Cliffhanger: Edward Randy.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Jarrik posted:

This is probably way too vague, but I had a old(played it on my dad's Aptiva back in 1997 or 1998) PC space strategy game and have forgotten the title. Basically, you ran a government in every aspect, including a pretty cool ship building/space combat engine which was in 3d. This was definitely the best part of the game. Resource management and research/development was key. I would always lose, which resulted in a cutscene in which assassins attacked my palace and killed me (pretty much the only distinct thing that I recall). If anyone has some titles that sound like this I'd appreciate it.

This almost sounds like Alien Legacy, except for the space combat part.

migee posted:

Theres one game that freaked me out as a kid on my parents 386. It was 2d, and I think you commanded 4 space soldiers that are investigating a ship that stopped communicating with earth. All I remember is that its a go left/right/forward/back 2d game. There was fighting, you started off with a couple pistols. One of the soldiers (I think a female) had a motion sensing device. There is a point in a game where everything gets pitch black and you need a flashlight. The flashlight is timed and you only have limited (timed) power. I remember that there was a place that had giant glass cylinders with fetus'/mutants growing inside. Anyone know?

I probably wrong here but is there any chance this is Martian Dreams, one of the Ultima offshoots? I know that game starts off with four party members on a ship that can't communicate with earth any more, contains pistols, and has cylinders with mutant plants in them...

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Davoren posted:

Sounds like The Cliffhanger: Edward Randy.

This was it. Thank you.

oso
Dec 22, 2006

Don't mention the war. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it
Ok so I'm sorry for dragging this thread away from the archives (hopefully there hasn't been a new one) but this has really been bugging me lately.

At some point in the 90's (I'd guess pre-95) I was really into playing a spaceship side scrolling shooter that was called something like Tubular Wars. Now it can't of been called that exactly, because my searching hasn't turned up anything remotely like the game I'm after. I also can't remember exactly what system the game was available on (my tech knowledge doesn't track back that far) but I'm sure it was some type of early pc.

To give an extended description, it was a fairly simple spaceship side scroller, with upgrades for guns (I think the default gun was a green laser) and shields etc. It was possible to play with 2 players in co-op, which seemed like kind of a novelty for the pc games I owned at the time. When in the 2 player mode 1 spaceship was blue, 1 was orange. Can't remember much else except you had to dodge environmental hazards like lava and rocks, and the camera angle was essentially top down (at a slight angle).

I'm annoyed I can't remember the name, I do know the menu / intro screen that popped up when you started the game was pretty distinctive.

loving hope someone can help, I've been trying to find the game on and off for years and its doing my nut in. I've been wanting to find out if it'd be possible to install and play on a current pc with a friend.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
You're close, it's called Tubular Worlds.

Now we're on it, I remember a game I played a while ago. It was a Windows game, and a bit of a mix between RPG and an action shooter if I remember it correctly. You had power ups, and one of them was Ra. I believe this one damaged the enemy by a huge solar ray from above. The game was from a top-down perspective, and I remember I gave up on the game at some point where I was stuck in a level/map where there was a park, and a magic shop you had to enter one way or another. It's all really vague in my memory though.

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007
That's MISTER Buns to the likes of you.

Turnip Head posted:

Yes! This is totally it! I started to realize it was likely NES because I remember playing it on his family room tv, not the one in his room with the Genesis hooked up. Thanks!

Maybe this, but I remember it as a boat with a fan on it and you'd shoot helicopters, I think. Anyways, I'll check this one out and see. Thanks for the help!

AQUA AQUA AQUA JACK?

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
This is a real long-shot, but here goes. It was a 3D PSX game, where you controlled a ship that flew above the level. You were fighting aliens, who (i think) could be captured from the ground, aside from the ones that flew around in ships and actively fought you. You could also rescue scientists from the ground, and they had something to do with upgrades. Really vague, but it's all I can remember.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Can anyone tell me the name of a SEGA Genesis game I used to play? I didn't own it so I only played it when I visited my cousin's place. Details may be off, but I'll tell you what I remember.

You got to choose a couple pieces of gear before going into each level, things like grenades of a few different kinds and other sub-weapons. I think the first zone was outdoors but I most distinctly remember what I think was the second zone and that took place in a mostly gray factory. I think the factory was guarded by cyborgs and I'm almost certain there were robotic panthers colored yellow and silver. I think the player character had blond hair. The graphics were trying to be realistic, not cartoony or anything like that.

So, uh, good luck? I appreciate the help!

oso
Dec 22, 2006

Don't mention the war. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it

Grawl posted:

You're close, it's called Tubular Worlds.

Brilliant - cheers for this. Guess I was closer than I thought.

Guerrilla Warfare
Feb 22, 2008
There was a PS2 mech game that I only remember from a Judgement Day review. The interesting part was that you controlled the mech along with the operator to stay close or get him out of the way of the carnage. Another interesting part was that any collateral damage from your battle would have to be paid.

Any ideas?

Rudger
Feb 20, 2006

i will mess you up

Hydrocodone posted:

Can anyone tell me the name of a SEGA Genesis game I used to play? I didn't own it so I only played it when I visited my cousin's place. Details may be off, but I'll tell you what I remember.

You got to choose a couple pieces of gear before going into each level, things like grenades of a few different kinds and other sub-weapons. I think the first zone was outdoors but I most distinctly remember what I think was the second zone and that took place in a mostly gray factory. I think the factory was guarded by cyborgs and I'm almost certain there were robotic panthers colored yellow and silver. I think the player character had blond hair. The graphics were trying to be realistic, not cartoony or anything like that.

So, uh, good luck? I appreciate the help!

Sounds like Rolling Thunder 3.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

dissin department posted:

This is a real long-shot, but here goes. It was a 3D PSX game, where you controlled a ship that flew above the level. You were fighting aliens, who (i think) could be captured from the ground, aside from the ones that flew around in ships and actively fought you. You could also rescue scientists from the ground, and they had something to do with upgrades. Really vague, but it's all I can remember.

This could be V2000.

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009

Guerrilla Warfare posted:

There was a PS2 mech game that I only remember from a Judgement Day review. The interesting part was that you controlled the mech along with the operator to stay close or get him out of the way of the carnage. Another interesting part was that any collateral damage from your battle would have to be paid.

Any ideas?

The operator and mech control reminds me of this game. Could this be it? I don't remember if you had to pay for the damages done to the city.

RAD:Robot Alchemic Drive

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

Need some help identifying a game I played as a kid! It was a puzzle game for the PC. I think I played it somewhere in the 1994-1998 area. It would take these moving animations and break them up, and you'd have to move all the boxes back into place like a jigsaw puzzle. You could tell it to break up the puzzle into a large number of pieces if you wanted to, but I think they were always boxes, with no curves or anything. The animations were a few various things, but one in particular was a rotating three-dimensional box, and another was bouncing balls or something.

Anyone know?

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

In the early 90s, I played this game on our crappy primary school computers. I dunno what kind of computer they were, but I reckon they were pre-Windows, and they could have been Amstrads or Apple IIs or something. Anyway, the game was a first-person adventure game where the protagonist was trying to help a mouse, and at one point they shrunk down to enter the mousehole, but could be eaten by a bookworm. I seem to remember the name of the game was an address or street name or something, like Honey Lane or 2 Sugar Street.

When you finished the game, a picture of a Kit-Kat bar appeared on the screen along with a congratulatory message.

Edit: it was called Albert's House.

dads_work_files fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 15, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Trying to ID an old game from my childhood...

I played it on my brothers 386, I think, and it was a space exploration game where you could cruise around, land on planets to pick stuff up, as well as fight pirates and things like that.

The ship was just a bunch of gray blocks and you could shoot missiles (represented as blocks as well) or lasers which could be upgraded from level 1-5, I believe. You could also go land on planets and move around to pick up planets and trees to sell, I remember farming peacock trees or something like that a whole bunch. There were also a bunch of alien races who you could trade to/with.

I also remember that when you docked with a space station you would move around in a 2d environment with I believe 4 doors where you could upgrade things/etc.

Any help?? I want to say it's called Starship 2 or Space something or other. I think there were 3 of the games total.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
There was a game in the mid-late 90s on the MSN network (Their old service like AOL) that was a fantasy MMORPG. It was top down as well. I can't remember anything else except the music which was really good. I know this isn't a lot of information but if anyone knows what it is I would greatly appreciate it.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Z3n posted:

Trying to ID an old game from my childhood...

I played it on my brothers 386, I think, and it was a space exploration game where you could cruise around, land on planets to pick stuff up, as well as fight pirates and things like that.

The ship was just a bunch of gray blocks and you could shoot missiles (represented as blocks as well) or lasers which could be upgraded from level 1-5, I believe. You could also go land on planets and move around to pick up planets and trees to sell, I remember farming peacock trees or something like that a whole bunch. There were also a bunch of alien races who you could trade to/with.

I also remember that when you docked with a space station you would move around in a 2d environment with I believe 4 doors where you could upgrade things/etc.

Any help?? I want to say it's called Starship 2 or Space something or other. I think there were 3 of the games total.

Starflight?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Hal Incandenza posted:

Starflight?

That's it! Thank you! For those who are interested, it's abandonware these days and there's a site devoted to it at https://www.starflt.com.

Edit: I can't even say how much this brings back memories. Thank you again :)

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 25, 2009

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008
Looking for a game I played a very little bit a long time ago, and now can't remember the name of. It was a DOS game, and I played it sometime between 1990-91ish. I'm almost certain it was after the first Sim City, and certainly before Operation Neptune and the original X-wing. Was some kind of cross between an rts with no units and a city/world builder, you could lose by global warming/cooling and by being destroyed by a computer opponent.

I think everything revolved around energy generated by power plants, and you had to spend energy to find oil/coal/maybe uranium? Power plants and explosions warmed the planet, planting trees offset that, which was tricky as gently caress to balance. Combat was mostly building missile defense around your base/city and blindly firing ICBM type missiles at where you guessed your opponent was on the world map.

I don't remember the name, I want to say eco or earth something, all I really remember was that it's copy protection was giving a page number and you had to input the shapes from the manual. My dad came back with it from one of his trips, on a floppy disk with a terrible photocopy of the manual.

Sorry for the terrible description, but I was only five or six at the time and it seemed pretty complicated. Google hasn't helped because I don't remember the name, and the genre is vague enough that an hour or two of looking through mobygames hasn't helped me.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

drzrma posted:

Looking for a game I played a very little bit a long time ago, and now can't remember the name of. It was a DOS game, and I played it sometime between 1990-91ish. I'm almost certain it was after the first Sim City, and certainly before Operation Neptune and the original X-wing. Was some kind of cross between an rts with no units and a city/world builder, you could lose by global warming/cooling and by being destroyed by a computer opponent.

Global Effect?

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

beef express posted:

Global Effect?

Don't I feel stupid now, though I'd have sworn I played it before 92. That sure looks like it though, thanks so much.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm not sure how wide the distribution on this particular arcade game was, but when I was a child in Germany, the local base-exchange had a four player beat-em-up side scroller where you played four different palettes of the same basic model of a guy in jeans and a T-shirt, each one colored to look like a different race (I believe). The left most player was traditional white guy in a white shirt with blond hair, and one of the other characters was a black dude in orange and brown. The gameplay left a big blank on my mind, but I remember you didn't have a health bar--you started out with 9999 health and it counted down at light speed, and each time you got hit you lost a chunk of your counter, so it was pretty much impossible to beat one a single quarter since you would simply run out of life and die, as if you're doing all this fighting while suffering from a hemorrhage.

Anyone else inflict this on themselves as a kid?

TheElectronicOne
Oct 17, 2007
Are you the fullfiller?

How many of you guys played this when you were little? Fess up.

http://www.archive.org/details/012280

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
This game I think was for the Genesis, but it could have been for the Master System.

You were given a grid, and could ride along the lines. Your object was to ride along all the lines, thereby lighting them up. There was no penalty for re-drawing the line. There were enemies who would erase your lines and kill you if you touched them. They remember at least some of the enemies looked like the scrubbing bubbles from those commercials.

Also, remember the scene from Die Hard where they have to put exactly Y gallons in a container, but were given containers that hold X and Z? I remember playing a edutainment game in school that was based on that concept on the Apple II.