Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wuhao
Apr 22, 2002

Pimpin' Lenin

Lexical Unit posted:

Roman numeral horror

I am going to have nightmares about seeing this somewhere in 5 years from someone who believes in proactive job security.

edit: no good reason for me to have quoted all that

Wuhao fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Wuhao posted:

I am going to have nightmares about seeing this somewhere in 5 years from someone who believes in proactive job security.

And just think, you can actually do practical stuff that looks more-or-less like that. :c00l:

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

Avenging Dentist posted:

And just think, you can actually do practical stuff that looks more-or-less like that. :c00l:

Please don't tell me that at this point in time :(

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

tripwire posted:

Please don't tell me that at this point in time :(

Here's some code I wrote for a memoizer for C++0x:
code:
namespace detail
{
    template<typename T>
    struct remove_const_ref :
        std::remove_const<
            typename std::remove_reference<T>::type
        >
    {};

template<typename T,typename U>
    struct is_similar : 
        std::is_same<
            typename detail::remove_const_ref<T>::type,
            typename detail::remove_const_ref<U>::type
        >
    {};
}

template <typename T,typename Ret,typename ...Args>
class memoizer_base<T,Ret (Args...)>
{
public:
    // ...

template<typename ...CallArgs>
    result_reference operator() (CallArgs &&...params)
    {
        return call<
            typename boost::mpl::if_<
                typename detail::is_similar<CallArgs,Args>::type,
                CallArgs&&,
                typename detail::remove_const_ref<Args>::type&&
            >::type...
        >(std::forward<CallArgs>(params)...);
    }
};

Wuhao
Apr 22, 2002

Pimpin' Lenin

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yeah, you know, do we call people with ungodly C++ boost skill "gurus," or "sith lords?"

4VAlien
Jun 19, 2008
By the time i was called in the program would sometimes not crash while trying to create an inventarisation snapshot to use on some hand scanners, so it wasnt really dead yet. A wonder that it ever worked though:

code:
Dim Decimaal As String
Dim Decimaal2 As Double

Decimaal = sqlDSaanmaken.Tables(0).Rows(iRow).Item(iCol)
Decimaal2 = RoundOff(Decimaal, 3)
Decimaal = (Str(Decimaal2))

Private Function RoundOff(ByVal value As Double, ByVal digits As Integer) As Double
        Dim shift As Double

shift = 10 ^ digits
        RoundOff = CInt(value * shift) / shift
    End Function

When i rewrote it i could do with one button and two comboboxes instead of the 6 forms that this monstrosity was using. Because i was feeling generous i also bloated my new version with an additional progressbar :)

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

4VAlien posted:

code:
Decimaal
Decimaal2
Decimaal sqlDSaanmaken
Decimaal2 Decimaal
Decimaal Decimaal

Here's the real horror.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
I had assumed that was in another language (Dutch)
http://www.allwords.com/word-decimal.html

But yeah:
code:
int int
int int2
is a horror in any language :(

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Scaevolus posted:

Here's the real horror.

Maybe the first programmer working on this was Dutch?

E: f;b

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Mill Town posted:

Maybe the first programmer working on this was Dutch?

E: f;b

That still doesn't forgive this...

code:
Dim Decimaal As String

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

code:
class a_context { /* ... */ };
class b_context { /* ... */ };
class c_context { /* ... */ };

template<class Context>
class _foo
{
  // ...
};

#define a_foo _foo<a_context>
#define b_foo _foo<b_context>
#define c_foo _foo<c_context>

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

HatfulOfHollow posted:

That still doesn't forgive this...

code:
Dim Decimaal As String

Nor the fact that he named it RoundOff because Round is already taken by a standard VB function.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

Avenging Dentist posted:

Here's some code I wrote for a memoizer for C++0x:
code:
namespace detail
{
    template<typename T>
    struct remove_const_ref :
        std::remove_const<
            typename std::remove_reference<T>::type
        >
    {};

template<typename T,typename U>
    struct is_similar : 
        std::is_same<
            typename detail::remove_const_ref<T>::type,
            typename detail::remove_const_ref<U>::type
        >
    {};
}

template <typename T,typename Ret,typename ...Args>
class memoizer_base<T,Ret (Args...)>
{
public:
    // ...

template<typename ...CallArgs>
    result_reference operator() (CallArgs &&...params)
    {
        return call<
            typename boost::mpl::if_<
                typename detail::is_similar<CallArgs,Args>::type,
                CallArgs&&,
                typename detail::remove_const_ref<Args>::type&&
            >::type...
        >(std::forward<CallArgs>(params)...);
    }
};

What the christ is that doing?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Tinyn posted:

What the christ is that doing?

It forwards a call from operator() to call, converting from the types passed in to the original type specified in the memoizer class template where necessary. It's there to eliminate unnecessary copying by supporting C++0x move semantics whenever possible. I have a comment explaining more-or-less that in the code itself, but where's the fun in that?

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 16, 2009

Intel Penguin
Sep 14, 2007
hooray

Incoherence posted:

Another way to make people crazy: if you ever have an opportunity to write a 4-level nested loop, use the variables i, ii, iii, and iiii.

The real WTF is, of course, the fact that you're writing a 4-level nested loop, but that's another story.

what about i, ii, iii, and iv?

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Intel Penguin posted:

what about i, ii, iii, and iv?

A well-written program would use both IIII and IV.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
What's from, QCS?

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Otto Skorzeny posted:

What's from, QCS?

E/N. :glomp:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Mill Town posted:

A well-written program would use both IIII and IV.
Interchangeably.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
Wow, cleaning up our old team's code was horrific.

First of all, one of our biggest, most complex products has a pretty large user database. We store TONS of information on users, that's sort of the point of the software (not going to say what it does, though, it's not important).

Eventually our WHOLE development team was fired and a new team (us) brought in. The guys that were working on this did get a chance to talk to the old team on the way out.

I guess what happened is this: All the user info was stored in one table. In fact, everything was stored in one table, the whole database (several gigs at this point, it's even larger now) was on goddamn table.

At one point, they actually managed to max out the number of columns a table can have in SQL Server 2000. Then they were required to add two more columns. So, instead of normalizing ANYTHING, they go ahead and just... delete what they considered the two least used columns to make room for the new ones. This was back before any sort of backup policy was in place, meaning that data was gone FOREVER. They also didn't tell anyone that they did it, so they had to discover this a year or so later.

Same guys also had a few favorite VB tricks, including using one variable for pretty much everything (I guess they were rationing variables back in the day or something) and determining what to do using if statements to figure out the type. Yeah, I can see an application or two of that maybe, but using ONE VARIABLE ON AN ENTIRE SITE is just insanity.

Also I had to edit a function they wrote, in classic ASP. It was one function to generate the code necessary to populate a java-applet-based graph. Not very tough at all, just feed an applet some numbers. It took them 3000+ lines of code spread amongst 3 or 4 include files. They also had not heard of a thing called concatenation, so every single minor variation of things like the select statements (which of course were all inline) had its own if statement and was written out in full. Also no input validation, so yes people could SQL inject like crazy. And yes, people DID SQL inject us. Imagine our surprise one day when one of our legacy product's production environment was suddenly missing our "users" table.

Myrddin Emrys fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 17, 2009

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

I look at the source code for our site for five minutes and I find this:
code:
database.AddInParameter(spCommand, "xml", DbType.String, StringUtilities.LimitLength(flightsXml, maxXmlSize));
But then it gets worse:
code:
public static string AssignNotNullString(string text)
{
	return text == null ? "" : text;
}

public static string LimitLength(string text, int maxLength)
{
	if (maxLength < 0) return "";
	text = AssignNotNullString(text);
	if (maxLength > text.Length) maxLength = text.Length;
	return text.Substring(0, maxLength);
}
CoC challenge, find all the flaws in the above code.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
The only one I see that's worth crying about is the willy-nilly truncation of the XML. I'd say that's a great way to magically create malformed XML. Maybe the fact that he's storing XML in a text field of some sort instead of an XML field, but I guess this is the "coding horrors" thread, not the "critique my dba by looking at 10 lines of application code" thread.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
I like that the helper function they wrote to handle the null string case requires about twice as much typing as the expression itself.

code:
str = StringUtilities.AssignNotNullString(str);
str = str == null ? "" : str;
Hell, if you don't have to support an ancient version of the language, it's even worse:

code:
str = StringUtilities.AssignNotNullString(str);
str = str ?? "";

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Jethro posted:

The only one I see that's worth crying about is the willy-nilly truncation of the XML. I'd say that's a great way to magically create malformed XML. Maybe the fact that he's storing XML in a text field of some sort instead of an XML field, but I guess this is the "coding horrors" thread, not the "critique my dba by looking at 10 lines of application code" thread.

You score 1 point. The other flaws are in the 2 functions posted. There are several flaws.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Jethro posted:

not the "critique my dba by looking at 10 lines of application code" thread.

that was written by the lead architect*.

many of his contributions have been posted before:

code:
namespace Core.Framework.DataType.BooleanUtils
{
	public static class BooleanFormatter
	{
		/// <summary>
		/// returns string representation of boolean value based on passed definitions of <value>true</value> and <value>false</value>
		/// </summary>
		/// <param name="value"></param>
		/// <param name="trueValue"></param>
		/// <param name="falseValue"></param>
		/// <returns></returns>
		public static string Format(bool value, string trueValue, string falseValue)
		{
			return value ? trueValue : falseValue;
		}
	}
}
* although successive re-orgs may have changed his job title beyond recognition, he is still the primary author of most of the website.

edited to add: :woop: I don't work there :toot:

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:

Zombywuf posted:

You score 1 point. The other flaws are in the 2 functions posted. There are several flaws.

The maxLength < 0 check is stupid, just throw an argument exception. Or at least check for <= 0.

Calling SubString even if no truncation is needed.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Zombywuf posted:

He's setting the value of maxLength to the text length. We he then returns the substring, he will return the string the same as it went into the function.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

dwazegek posted:

The maxLength < 0 check is stupid, just throw an argument exception. Or at least check for <= 0.

Calling SubString even if no truncation is needed.

Ding ding 2 points.

The last one I'd count is somewhat stylistic. But if you're masking null pointer errors in your data layer, urdoinitrong.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

HFX posted:

He's setting the value of maxLength to the text length. We he then returns the substring, he will return the string the same as it went into the function.

That's only if maxLength exceeds text length, though. If maxLength is between 0 and text.Length it stays the same.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Myrddin Emrys posted:

That's only if maxLength exceeds text length, though. If maxLength is between 0 and text.Length it stays the same.

Right which is completely retarded. Sadly this code reminds me of a lot of the code I see around my work. I'm going to have to post some when I find some.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

HFX posted:

Right which is completely retarded. Sadly this code reminds me of a lot of the code I see around my work. I'm going to have to post some when I find some.

Sure it's not ideal. I just meant he wouldn't necessarily be returning the same string, which is what you originally said.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
We have a code test that we make candidates take before we consider giving them an interview. We ask them to build a little song database, give it at least three specific views of the data, and to switch between views using a modern JS library.

Nobody, not one person, has ever passed the test. Not even me. This gem came in today, in part of the submitter's home-grown application code, including a class that wraps PHP's mysql_* functions:
php:
<?
class songs_global { 
// ...
    public function fixString($Instring=NULL){
    //Use this on any text you pass into the database.
    //Queries will fail if any variable contains a single quote.
    //First replaces addslashes /' with just a single quote, 
    //then replaces single quotes with two single quotes. 
    //ie bee/'s knees or bee's knees becomes bee''s knees,
    //then uses the first quote to escape the second
    //so INSERT 'bee''s knees' is interpreted as
    //INSERT 'bee's knees'

if($Instring == NULL){
            return NULL;
        }
        $OutString = str_replace("'", "''", str_replace("\'", "'", $Instring)); 
        return $OutString;
    }?>
Mind you, this method isn't in the database adapter. Oh, no, it's in the "global" class. And it doesn't even do what he thinks it does, it just makes a horrible backslashy mess.

The entire "global" class is a horrible, horrible thing that makes me want to shoot him. Thankfully I don't have a gun, I'll just get to ask him what the gently caress he's thinking if the boss decides he's worth interviewing.

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 18, 2009

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009
Why would it make a backslashy mess? Unless it replaces the second instance with the first, as opposed to the first instance with the second

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
On his own demo for his own code, submitting:

"Testy'test"test"

transforms into

\"Testy\'test\"test\"

I have no idea what's even going on.

I think he might have magic_quotes_gpc enabled. (Non-PHP people: magic_quotes_gpc is a misfeature that automatically tries to escape quotes in all input.)

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Am I just a bad programmer or is something like this bad:

code:
//Read the value of the analog input from a data acquisition device
output(i) = device_read(i);
I know it works but that, and the fact that inputs are outputs and outputs are inputs keeps throwing me off constantly. I won't say I'm good or anything but really?

Kelson
Jan 23, 2005

McGlockenshire posted:

php:
<?
        $OutString = str_replace("'", "''", str_replace("\'", "'", $Instring)); 
        return $OutString;
    }?>
Mind you, this method isn't in the database adapter. Oh, no, it's in the "global" class. And it doesn't even do what he thinks it does, it just makes a horrible backslashy mess.

The entire "global" class is a horrible, horrible thing that makes me want to shoot him. Thankfully I don't have a gun, I'll just get to ask him what the gently caress he's thinking if the boss decides he's worth interviewing.

I like how it lets "don\\'t escape my injection" through

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

ryanmfw posted:

Am I just a bad programmer or is something like this bad:

code:
//Read the value of the analog input from a data acquisition device
output(i) = device_read(i);
I know it works but that, and the fact that inputs are outputs and outputs are inputs keeps throwing me off constantly. I won't say I'm good or anything but really?

output(i) returns a reference to the i'th element of an internal array I'd guess. If so I'd personally overload[] and use output[i] = device_read(i) myself; It's a stylistic choice.

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

code:
void pants_event(char* data, size_t size, long id)
{
	switch (id)
	{
		case 1:
			handle_pants (data, size, id);
			break;
		case 2:
			break;
		case 3:
			break;
		case 4:
			break;
	}
}

void handle_pants(char* data, size_t size, long id)
{
	switch (id)
	{
		case 1:
			{
				// do stuff
			}
			break;
		case 2:
			{
				// do stuff
			}
			break;
		case 3:
			{
				// do stuff
			}
			break;
		case 4:
			{
				// do stuff
			}
			break;
	}
}

BigRedDot
Mar 6, 2008

Please you've got to stop. Between that and the find you wrote up on my whiteboard earlier today, I am going to lose all hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

Oh the things I could draw if posts were whiteboards...